– Really? – Brilliant. Yes.
我是帕特丽夏·伊登
I’m Patricia Eden.
你好 我是伊登出版社的
Hi. Eden Books.
乔 这位就是世界上
Joe, this man is the greatest living expert…
最了解罗森堡夫妇事件的专家
on Julius and Ethel Rosenberg.
你真的喜欢我的…
You really liked my–?
这位是凯瑟琳·凯莉
This is Kathleen Kelly.
我的文章吗 不好意思 我有点受宠若惊
My piece? I’m sorry. I just– You know? I’m flattered.
你写了文章 以为会有人提起
You write these things. You think somebody’s gonna mention them.
一周过去了 电♥话♥根本没响过 你就会开始想
A week goes by, the phone doesn’t ring and you think:
“我是个骗子 我是个失败者”
“I’m a fraud. I’m a failure or something.”
你知道罗森堡夫妇最吸引我的是哪点吗
You know what fascinated me about Julius and Ethel Rosenberg?
是他们看上去很老 但他们当时的年龄和我们差不多
Is how old they looked, when they were really just our age.
你明白吗
You know?
我很高兴终于见到你了
I’m so happy to have finally met you.
我们以后再聊 你考虑过出书吗
We will talk. Have you ever thought about doing a book?
我有过这个想法 今天正好想到了一些相关的事…
It’s crossed my mind, something relevant for today…
-就像英国十九世纪末的卢德运动 -弗兰克
– like the Luddite movement in 19th century England or something. – Frank.
我们应该聊聊
We should talk.
-记得联♥系♥我 -弗兰克
– Call me. – Frank.
亲爱的 你尝过鱼子酱配料吗
Hon, have you ever had a caviar garnish?
我没想到弗兰克·纳瓦斯基
I had no idea Frank Navasky…
居然会这么平易近人
was going to be so down-to-earth.
你读了他的文章
You read his stuff…
就会觉得他是一个深邃而神秘的人
you think he’s going to be so obscure and abstruse.
他总是谈论海德格尔
He’s always talking about Heidegger…
还有福柯
and Foucault.
我完全不理解他写的内容 真的
And I have no idea what any of it’s about, really.
我现在还不累
I’m not tired. I’m not.
你有没有感觉过自己露出了最遭人厌恶的一面
Do you ever feel you’ve become the worst version of yourself?
就像充满了各种秘密和黑暗的潘多拉魔盒
That a Pandora’s box of all the secret, hateful parts…
你的自大 恶意
your arrogance, your spite…
还有傲慢
your condescension…
全部涌现了出来
has sprung open?
有人挑衅了你 本应该一笑了之
Someone provokes you, and instead of smiling
你却用恶毒的语言攻击他们
and moving on, you zing them?
“你好 我是遭人厌先生”
“Hello, it’s Mr. Nasty.”
我想你肯定不明白我在说什么
I’m sure you have no idea what I’m talking about.
不 我完全明白 而且我非常嫉妒你
No, I know what you mean, and I’m completely jealous.
当我被他人挑衅的时候 我连话都说不出
What happens to me when I’m provoked is that I get tongue-tied.
我的大脑
My mind goes–
一片空白
Blank.
然后我一整晚都会辗转反侧
Then I spend all night tossing and turning…
绞尽脑汁去想自己当时应该如何回击
trying to figure out what I should’ve said.
我当时到底该对那个藐视我的…
What should I have said, for example, to the….
市井刁民
Bottom-dweller…
说些什么话来回击他呢
who recently belittled my existence?
什么也想不出
Nothing.
到了现在 我还是什么也想不出
Nothing. Even now.
就算到了现在
Even now–
已经过了好几天了
Days later….
我还是想不出
I can’t figure it out.
如果我能把毒舌传给你那该有多好
Wouldn’t it be wonderful if I could pass all my zingers to you?
这样我就不会再对他人恶言相向
Then I’d never behave badly
而你也可以一直用毒舌去反击别人
and you could behave badly all the time.
大家皆大欢喜
And we’d both be happy.
话说回来 我必须警告你
On the other hand, I must warn you:
当你终于能够
When you finally have the pleasure
在自己希望的时刻说出本来想说的话时
of saying the thing you mean to say at the moment you mean to say it,
悔恨感也会不可避免地随之而来
remorse inevitably follows.
你觉得我们该见面吗
Do you think we should meet?
见面
发送
见面
Meet?
天哪
Oh, my God….
♪我取下旧桌的桌腿♪
♪I’ll take the legs from some old table♪
♪我取下旧椅的扶手♪
♪I’ll take the arms from some old chair♪
♪我取下旧瓶的瓶颈♪
♪I’ll take the neck from some old bottle♪
♪再取下一些马鬃♪
♪And from a horse I’ll take the hair♪
♪我会取下旧钟上的部件♪
♪I’ll take the hands and face from some old clock♪
♪亲爱的 当我全部取完之后♪
♪And baby when I’m through♪
♪我会从那个小笨蛋身上♪
♪I’ll get more loving from the dum-dum-dummy♪
♪得到比你更多的爱♪
♪Than I ever got from you♪
七十二块二毛七
Seventy-two twenty-seven.
这个收银台只收现金
This is a cash-only line.
什么
What?
只收现金
Cash only.
天哪 天哪
Oh, my God. Oh, my God.
我只有信♥用♥卡♥ 很抱歉 这样可以吗
I just have a credit card. I’m sorry. Is that okay?
当然不可以
No, it’s not okay.
这里有标识
There’s a sign.
我真的非常抱歉
I’m sorry. I’m very sorry.
我从来没这么做过
I never do this,
但我想请你破一次例
but I’m asking you to make an exception in this one case.
你没有现金吗
You have no cash?
她没有现金
She has no cash.
不 她没有现金
No, she has no cash.
换个收银台排队吧 女士
Get on another line, lady.
我只有一美元
I have a dollar. That’s all I have.
只有一美元
I have a dollar. One dollar.
你能做些什么吗
Is there anything you can do?
你好
Hello.
你好
Hello.
你好 需要现金吗
Hi. You need some money?
不 我不需要现金 谢谢你了
No, I do not need any money. Thank you very much.
换个收银台排队
Get in another line.
你好
Hi.
萝丝
Rose.
这名字真好听 萝丝
That is a great name. Rose.
这是凯瑟琳 我是乔
This is Kathleen. I’m Joe–
我还是亨利呢
And I’m Henry.
亨利 你好吗 节日快乐
Henry, how are you? Happy holidays.
这里有刷♥卡♥机
This is a credit card machine.
感恩节快乐
Happy Thanksgiving.
现在该你说感恩节快乐了
It’s your turn to say “Happy Thanksgiving” back.
感恩节快乐了
Happy Thanksgiving back.
有人吗
Knock, knock.
是谁
Who’s there?
橘子
Orange.
哪个橘子
Orange who?
那个让你通融一下
“Orange” you going to give us a break…
用这台刷♥卡♥机刷一下信♥用♥卡♥的橘子
by zipping this credit card through the credit card machine?
拜托了 你能做到的 刷一刷就好
Come on, you can do it. Zip, zip.
这就对了
There you go.
萝丝
Rose?
这名字真好听
That is a great name.
你没事了吧
So you’re fine.
没事了
Fine.
感恩节快乐 亨利 祝你感恩节快乐
Happy Thanksgiving. Henry, happy Thanksgiving.
我真的很抱歉
I’m so sorry. Really.
我发自内心地向你们道歉
I apologize. I apologize from the bottom of my heart.
那就赶紧签名
So sign already!
-我还赶着回家参加感恩节游♥行♥ -笔还没还我
– I’d like to get home in time for the Thanksgiving parade. – You have my pen.
♪太阳会升起♪
♪The sun’ll come out♪
♪向你保证 到了明天♪
♪Tomorrow, bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow♪
♪太阳会升起♪
♪There’ll be sun♪
♪仅仅是想着明天♪
♪Just thinkin’ bout tomorrow♪
♪让所有的沉闷和痛苦♪
♪clears away the cobwebs and the sorrow♪
♪全部烟消云散♪
♪’Till there’s none♪
♪当我遇上了♪
♪When I’m stuck with a day♪
♪寂寞而阴郁的一天♪
♪That’s gray and lonely♪
♪我会坚持到底♪

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!