No. No, Mother!
不 不 妈妈
No, I’ve existed before in other incarnations!
不 我曾经在另外一副躯壳中生存过
Cristal is certain of it.
克丽丝托确信这点
Look, Helena,
听着 海伦娜
I’m not in the mood for that crap right now, okay?
我现在没兴致听那些废话
No, no, no. I’m not. But…
不 不 不 我没兴致 但是
But you will be in the mood
但当你了解事实的重要性时
when you realize the importance of that fact.
你就会有兴致了
If it’s so for me,
如果我是这样
it’s so for everyone. You, as well.
那么所有人都一样 你也是
Make her shut up, Sally. I’m going to kill her.
莎莉 让她闭嘴 要不我会杀了她的
Please, let’s not get ugly here.
拜托 我们都别气急败坏的
Mum, he just got some really bad news.
妈妈 他刚刚收到了很坏的消息
If you mean the rejection of that silly book,
如果你指的是那本烂书被拒绝的事
I tried to prepare you for it.
我给你们打过预防针了
Cristal predicted it.
克丽丝托预见到了
I was sure the book came off fine.
我曾确信那本书会成功出版
Am I that blind about my own work?
难道我对自己的作品如此缺少判断力吗
Cristal says your future is not in the arts.
克丽丝托说你的未来不在艺术领域
I’m telling you, Sally, get her out of here! Out!
听我说 莎莉 把她赶出去 快点
Well, what’s wrong with medicine? You have the education.
从医有什么不好 你本来就是学医的
If writing is not in your future,
如果你写作没有出路
medicine is a noble way to earn a living.
从医是条体面的谋生之路
Okay, all right… Are you thick?
我真 你脑子有病吗
I am never going to be a doctor,okay?
我永远不会做医生 行了吧
That boat sailed years ago, okay?
那都是过去的事情了 知道吗
You got it? Maybe I’ll be a chauffeur or a messenger.
听懂了吗 也许我会做个司机或邮递员
So, your daughter married badly.
所以 你女儿选错老公了
Now can you get the hell out?
现在你能不能现在滚出去
How can you ask her to get out
你怎么能赶她出去
when she is the one paying the rent?
是她替我们交的房♥租
I’m sick of hearing that. She’ll get it back,
我已经听烦了 我把钱还给她
she’ll get all the money back!
她会拿回她所有的钱
How will she get it back?
你想怎么还
What are you gonna do, rob a bank?
你要怎么做 抢银行吗
I am sick and tired of sitting around,
我已经受够了在这坐等
watching my life evaporate,
我的年华流逝
while you keep trying to prove a point!
而你却一直试图证明自己的观点
It’s all futile. Cristal said it’s not his moment.
这都是徒劳 克丽丝托说这不是他的机会
Arcadia was the only one interested,
阿卡迪亚出版社是唯一感兴趣的了
but they’re knowledgeable men,
他们都是有学问的人
so I guess it doesn’t come off!
所以我猜 这书再也出版不了了
Cristal was right!
克丽丝托是对的
I have to face it! I was a one-book fluke!
我得面对现实 我就是能写一本书的水平
Cristal said at some point, in the distant future.
克丽丝托说 在某个遥远的未来
Maybe she was talking about another life.
或许她说的是你的来世
Mother! Will you be still?
妈妈 你就不能别说了吗
You drink and chatter incessantly!
一边喝酒还一边不停地念念念
Christ, my head is killing me.
天哪 我的脑袋都要炸了
I drank a little, yes, to celebrate the miraculous!
我是喝了点酒 为了庆祝一个奇迹
Is that so terrible?
这有错吗
That I come here with great news,
我来是为了说一个好消息
news that renders all this futile
这个消息让现在的一切
in the grand scheme of things.
都显得微不足道
I mean, I’m saying we don’t only live once.
我是说 我们不只活一次
We live over and over again.
我们会活一世又一世
Cristal says I existed in Elizabethan England.
克丽丝托说 我曾经生活在伊丽莎白时代的英格兰
All I’m saying is there’s hope,
我想说的是希望永远存在
hope that maybe Roy will write another book,
罗伊有希望再写另一部书
but in some future incarnation.
但是或许是在来世
I’ve got to get out of here!
我要远离这一切
Oh, God. I can’t do it anymore.
上帝啊 我再也受不了了
I can’t be in this marriage.
我没法再这样维持这段婚姻
Let him go. Let him go. Let him go.
让他去 让他去 让他去吧
You can do so much better.
你可以活得更好
You know, Cristal says that that man you work for,
克丽丝托说和你一起工作的那个人
the one you’re always so high on.
就是你评价很高的那个
She says don’t rule him out.
她说别把他推开
At that moment, with his life going down the drain,
他的生活一片混乱的时候
Roy only wanted to see Dia.
罗伊只想见到迪娅
And, suddenly, there she was.
突然间 她就在那里
But even if she wasn’t getting married,
但是就算她不打算结婚
what the hell chance did he have?
他又能有什么机会呢
What could he offer her? What was he?
他能给她什么 他算什么
A washed-up writer at 38?
一个三十八岁的落魄作家
A member of the “Formerly promising” Club?
一个”曾经辉煌”俱乐部的成员
“Royal Channing.”
“罗伊·钱宁”
A hell of a name for a limo driver or a bike messenger.
真是个司机或者邮递员的好名字
The thought of beginning a new book paralyzed him.
创作一本新书的想法让他不知所措
He’d lost all his nerve.
他失去了全部的勇气
And what was he supposed to do, work days and write nights?
他还能怎么办 白天工作晚上写作吗
Not that he had an idea for another book.
他脑子里根本没有想法
And just when you think things can’t possibly get any worse,
就在你觉得事情不可能更糟糕的时候
fate lets you know there’s bigger trouble out there.
命运让你知道更糟糕的还在后面
Hello.

I just thought you should know.
我只是觉得你应该知道
Jeez, I’m in a state of shock here. I can hardly speak.
上帝 我被吓得说话都不利索了
There was a car accident, a terrible car accident.
车祸 很严重的车祸
Mike Prince, Henry, driving to the poker game.
迈克·普林斯和亨利开车去打扑克
Head-on collision with another car.
结果正面撞上了另一辆车
Two girls dead. Henry’s dead.
两个女孩死了 亨利也死了
Mike’s in a coma.
迈克还在昏迷
Even a pedestrian on the pavement is on the critical list.
还有一个行人正处于危险期
It’s just unbelievable.
真是难以置信
Two teenage drunks nicked the car… Bam! Unbelievable.
俩醉酒小青年偷了部车 嘭 不敢想象
He couldn’t get his mind around it.
他满脑子都想着这件事
Mike Prince in a coma? A vegetable?
迈克·普林斯昏迷了 成了植物人
Henry Strangler gone.
亨利·斯特兰格死了
He wasn’t even that close with them,
虽然他们没有那么亲密
but it made him feel how quick
但还是让他觉得生命是如此脆弱
and fragile is existence.
转瞬即逝
And that’s when he had his crazy thought.
正是这个时候 他有了个疯狂的念头
Strangler lived alone.
斯特兰格一个人生活
He had no family, no time for a woman in his life,
他没有家人 没有时间找女朋友
and was obsessively private about his first novel.
专注于他的第一部小说
Roy was the only one he’d
罗伊是他唯一信任
trusted to read it, this Roy knew for sure.
唯一读过他小说的人 罗伊对此很确定
Strangler had just finished
斯特兰格刚刚完成了最后的修订
tweaking it and had not shown it to Malcolm Dodds yet
还没来得及给马尔科姆·道得看
because Roy was to arrange that.
因为罗伊负责安排这事
Strangler had no agent
斯特兰格没有经纪人
and none of the other poker players were writers,
而其他的牌友里也没有作家
and so had no particular interest in
所以没人对他的进展感兴趣
or knowledge of his progress.
更不了解详情
The man was a drone, a perfectionist,
这男人就是只雄蜂 一个完美主义者
a workaholic.
一个工作狂
Possibly a genius who’d written a terrific first book,
说不定还是个第一本书写的极棒的天才
but tragically and most conveniently,
不过 不幸会让别人捡大便宜的就是
he was dead.
他死了
I’m not familiar with your shop,
我不是很熟悉你的书店
but I’ll make it my business to tell Cristal all about it.
但是我会跟克丽丝托好好说说这事的
Well, it’s only small,
店其实很小
but I think we carry most of the important occult books.
但是我想我这里有大部分神秘主义的书
Do you have any literature on reincarnation? Yes.
你这里有没有关于轮回的书 有
You know, sometimes I get
有时候我脑海里会清晰地
a clear flash that I’ve visited a place before.
浮现出我之前去过某一个地方的影像
Perhaps ancient Egypt.
可能是古代埃及
My son-in-law pooh-poohs it,
我的女婿完全不信这一套
but if I didn’t think there was more to life,
但是如果我不相信还有来生
I couldn’t go on.
我大概就撑不下去了

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!