You know, people driving to work listen to it.
人们一边开车去上班一边收听
He keeps it pretty light.
所以节目的话题一般很轻松
like… kick a record.
比如 唱片什么的
Well, I never heard of it.
我从没听说过这档节目
But I’ll do it, sure.
但我愿意参加
Good morning, everybody.
早上好 听众朋友们
This is “The bob bender show,””The morning drive show. ”
这里是由鲍勃 本德主持的今日早播报
Today it’s a special edition–
今天的这一♥期♥内容比较特别
It’s “The morning die show,”
叫做今日死亡播报
Because of my special guest, Dr. Jack Kevorkian.
我们请来了特别嘉宾杰克 科沃基恩医生
He’s a local boy from here in “De-troit.”
他可是我们底特律人
You might know him better as Dr. Death.
也许听众朋友们对死亡医生更为熟悉
I like to say he is the last doctor you will ever need.
我猜他是你需要的最后一名医生
I actually heard somebody refer to you as Dr.
我曾经听说以前有人把你称为
Frankenstein the other day
弗兰肯斯坦医生
because of your rather active organ-procurement program.
因为你在器官采购市场上表现相当活跃
Well, I’m gonna take that as a compliment,
我情愿把这话视为一种褒奖
because anyone who’s read the story of Frankenstein
任何读过弗兰肯斯坦传记的人
knows that he was a benevolent man
都知道他心存仁慈
and it was society who made the monster bad.
是社会将他逼入绝境
Well, I find it impossible to believe,
这观点可真人难以接受
but our lines are lighting up
现在 节目热♥线♥已经开始爆满
and my producer tells me
编导方才告诉我
40% to 50% of our callers say “Hey,you’re right.”
四到五成打进场内的听众 都赞同你的观点
So maybe I shouldn’t go on.
也许我该适可而止了
Let’s quit while I’m ahead.
我们还是换个话题吧
Well, don’t die on me now, Doc. No no no.
别让我难做嘛 医生 没有 没有
Sorry, I had to say that.
对不起 我们还是换个话题吧
Tell me a little bit about your Mercitron,
那就谈谈你的安乐死机器吧
Something I hope the–
我想观众肯定
See? He’s doing good.
看 他表现得多么出色啊
Yeah. Sharp as a tack.
是啊 简直锋芒万丈
It’s good that people realize what’s at stake here.
人们是能够自己掌握生死大权的
I me, self-determination is
自主决定生死
a basic human right
是人类拥有的最基本的权利
and everyone should have it.
人人都应该享有它
By flipping the switch on your suicide machine,
你是说 都有权按下你自杀机器上的按钮
kind of like hitting this button here.
就像是我们演播室里的这种吗
Well, sure, or carbon monoxide,
当然 或者用一氧化碳
which actually is a quicker procedure.
这种方式更为快捷
And I can assure you as a pathologist
作为一位病理学家 我可以向你保证
gas inhalation always leaves the deceased
吸进的一氧化碳 会让死者在弥留之际
with a rosy, colorful afterglow.
有一种美妙而幻灭的感觉
Well, hopefully our listeners
真希望我们的听众朋友今早
aren’t listening in their garages this morning.
没在车♥库♥里收听我们的节目
If they are,
如果他们在
open the door.
一定要打开车♥库♥门
We’re getting rather ghoulish here 55 in the morning.
节目进行到55分钟 谈话内容越来越诡异了
You are live with Bob Bender.
我是主持人鲍勃 本德
And I hesitate to say “Ve,” Doctor,
我不知道是否该叫您医生
because we’re talking death with Dr. Death.
因为我正在和死亡医生谈论死亡
And if you want to end it,
如果你想实行安乐死
call Dr. Kevorkian.
就请与科沃基恩医生联♥系♥吧
That’s kevorkian. This is not an ad.
具体的拼写为kevorkian 我们还在做节目呢
I just don’t want to give the wrong impression.
我可不愿被误以为是到节目里来打广♥告♥的
I am not here advertising. I’m– I’m–
我不是来做广♥告♥的 我 我
Hi, there.
你好 是我
Oh, no. Not you, lady.
怎么是你
Oh, stop it. Stop it.
听我说 你听我说
Stay away from me, lady.
离我远点 女士
I don’t bite. I’m sorry I backed out on you that way,
我没有恶意 我是为上次临时变卦道歉来的
But that’s water under the bridge.
但那些都已经过去了
I think we need to have a conversation.
我觉得我们有必要谈一谈
Water under the bridge? Yeah.
过去了 对
I ended up using my V. W. Van in the park.
我的大众打从公园回来就不能用了
Water under the bridge?
都过去了
That was very resourceful of you.
你可真会借题发挥啊
Oh, thank you.
谢谢夸奖
I know that you’re upset,
我知道你为此事烦心
but you have to let it go.
但你总得把事情放下吧
We need to have a bigger conversation.
我们得好好谈一谈
And that’s a much better sweater.
这毛衣看上去挺不错的
It’s more cheerful.
把你衬得很精神
You know, I don’t get many visitors up here,
我这里不常接待客人的
women especially.
特别是女客人
With your charms, I’m shoed.
你这么有魅力 我很难信服
I hope you like it.
希望你能喜欢
I made it just for you. Thank you.
我特地为你做的 谢谢
You know, Doc, you have to stop
医生 你别再极力
pushing for organ donations.
推广器官捐赠了
It’d be better if you just focused on one thing at a time.
也许一次只做一件事情 结果会更好
That sounds like it comes straight out
这话听上去怎么像是迂腐的铁杉协会
of the old hemlock society playbook.
教材上的课文
I’m the first to admit hemlock has its faults.
我可是首个指出铁杉协会有错的人
That’s why I’m here. That’s why I agree
所以我今天才会来找你 所以
that it should be self-determination without compromise.
我赞成个人无条件拥有自主的权利
And for the record, I also agree
我也申明过 我认同
that “Terminally ill” Is an undefinable term.
“救治无望” 是一个模糊的术语
So I say establish your criteria–
所以 我想为你建立起一套准则
You know, multiple doctor examinations,
其中包括 各方医师的检查
psych assessments–
心理评估
make sure that all physical treatments
以证明所有的医疗措施
have been exhausted
都无法挽救病人的生命了
and maybe the blessing of a priest
可能还包括牧师的祷告
or a rabbi would be good.
或者犹太祭司什么的
Funny.
有意思
My mom used to make these for us, only with a pickle
我妈妈以前也总做这个 但只用腌菜
and no crusts.
不用面包皮
Sorry about the crust.
我得为面包皮向你抱歉
I usually cut them off,
我通常都会把它们切下来
but somehow I thought you’d like crust.
但我总觉得你喜欢吃这个
She was tortured in a nursing home till the day she died–
她生前住在一家疗养院里 饱受病痛的折磨
Mind gone,
整日神志不清
bed sores the size of dinner plates.
身上还长了个餐盘大小的褥疮
If you looked in them, you could see her spine.
如果你往里看看 都可以看到她的脊椎骨
Who was it for you? Your mother?
你呢 你妈妈
Your father?
或是你♥爸♥爸的事情
I don’t see any pictures anywhere of anybody.
这房♥间里怎么连一张照片都没有呢
You know, maybe you’re right, what you said before.
也许你刚刚说的 有点道理
One thing at a time.
一次做好一件事情
Fair enough.
不错
So, umm…

I was snooping around a little bit.
我之前曾在这附近打探过
Oh yeah. Can you tell me
对 你能跟我说说
about Marjorie Wantz and Sherry Miller?
马乔莉 旺茨和雪莉 米勒的情况吗
Sure. Ms. Miller has M.S.
当然 米勒女士患有多发性硬化症
And she’s had it for a decade.
已经十年了
She has hardly a motor skill left.
几乎没什么行动的能力
Her husband took off a month after the diagnosis.
丈夫在确诊一个月后就离开了
And we’ve got mrs. Wantz who has severe pelvic pain.
旺茨女士则有严重的骨盆疼痛
She’s had 10 operations, all for naught.
做了十次手术都是徒劳
The pain’s completely debilitating.
疼痛使得她极其虚弱
I’ve thought about it a long time.
我已经想了很久了
A long time.
很久了
Yeah, I have,
是的
And I have no qualms about my decision.
我不怀疑我的决定
I could do it tonight.
今天晚上都行
What is it you want?
你想要怎样
Put it in plain english. Yeah, I want I want to die.
直白地说吧 对 我想死
That’s plain enough. Yup. Yup.
真够直白的了 没错

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!