but I’ll suspend 30 days of that sentence
但同时判你缓刑三十天
if you give me your word that
只要你答应
as soon as you get out tomorrow morning
你明天一早就可以出去
you’ll go back to your folks in Kansas.
回到堪萨斯老家去
Thank you, sir, thank you. That’s all right, run along.
谢谢法官大人 快走吧
Your Honor, would you take the Vanderhof case next?
庭上 下一个是范德夫的案件
Why?
为何?
We just found out that one of them is A. P. Kirby.
涉嫌人之一是柯比
The banker? Yes.
那个银行家? 没错
What are the charges?
什么罪名?
Disturbing the peace and manufacturing fireworks without a license.
扰乱安宁 以及无照制♥造♥烟花
Fireworks?
烟花?
You mean to tell me that
你是指…
A. P. Kirby has been held in the drunk tank?
柯比拥有一间火♥药♥库
Well, well, well. . .
这下新鲜了
Is that why all these spectators are here tonight?
所以 今天法庭这么热闹
No. They are Vanderhof’s friends.
他们是范老头的朋友
I didn’t know anybody had that many friends anymore.
没想到一个人有这么多朋友
The newspapermen heard about Kirby yet?
报社知道柯比要出庭吗?
I don’t think so. That’s good.
应该不知道 那就好
What a holiday they’d have
他们若知道
if they knew A. P. Kirby was in the drunk tank.
不吓死才怪
Well, bring them in right away. No use crucifying him.
叫他们立刻进来 不要耽搁
Bring in the Vanderhofs. Vanderhof case next.
把范德霍夫带进来 下一位是范德霍夫
Get away from me. Have you seen the. . .
离我远点 是否看到…
Hello, Grandpa.
你好 老爹…
Hello, Grandpa.
你好 爷爷
Order. Order.
遵守秩序
Quiet.
安静
Order.
遵守秩序
Your Honor, in arresting Mr. and Mrs. Kirby and their son,
庭上 柯比父子被捕
a grave blunder was made
实在太荒谬
and we would suggest. . .
我们要建议…
Do all four of you represent Mr. Kirby? Yes, Your Honor.
你们四个都是替柯比辩护的? 是的 大人
Quite an array of talent for a misdemeanor.
这是一种很有天赋的轻罪
If there’s any objection, Your Honor,
庭上
to Mr. Kirby being represented by counsel. . .
不赞成柯比先生请律师吗
Not at all. Not at all. In fact, this court feels quite flattered.
当然不会 本庭十分荣幸
Thank you. Yes.
多谢
The charge is disturbing the peace.
罪名是扰乱安宁
How do you plead? Not guilty, of course.
认罪吗? 当然是无罪
Of course.
当然
Mister, are you represented, or any of your people, by counsel?
你们有请辩护律师吗?
No, sir.
没有 先生
I guess we were disturbing the peace
如果有人控告我们的话
if anyone took the trouble to make a complaint against us.
就表示我们会扰乱安宁
And if it’s against the law to make fireworks without a license
如果制♥造♥烟火也算犯法
I guess we’re guilty of that, too,
那我们当然有罪
because we’ve been doing it a long time.
因为我们已经做很久了
I don’t feel guilty, do you, Essie?
我不觉得有罪
Order, order, please.
注意秩序
Mr. Vanderhof, on the charge of disturbing the peace
范先生 至于扰乱安宁的罪名
you and the rest of your family are, by your own plea, guilty.
你们都承认有罪
However, I shall suspend sentence. Thank you.
这部份我可以缓刑 谢谢
But, the manufacturing of explosives without a license, I’m sorry
但无照制♥造♥爆♥炸♥物 很抱歉
I’m forced to fine you $100.
我必须判你罚款一百元
One hundred dollars?
一百元?
That’s a lot of money.
这可是一大笔钱
Your Honor, Mr. Kirby, who is noted for his charitable work
庭上 柯比先生一向以慈善闻名
would like to pay the fine for this poor unfortunate family.
愿意替他们缴交罚款
No, thank you. I couldn’t let you do that.
不用了 我不能让你付钱
No, you don’t. Grandpa don’t need your money.
老爹不需要你的臭钱
We’ll pay that fine.
我们可以凑钱
Order, order! Order in the court.
注意秩序 注意秩序
Order, order.
注意秩序
No, it’s all right, Officer. It’s all right. Let them come in.
没关系 让他们进来
We’ll pay the fine.
我们可以凑钱
We don’t need your money.
谁稀罕你的臭钱
A whole hat full, Grandpa. A whole hat full.
爷爷 帽子满了 满满一帽子
We’ll get it, Grandpa.
凑齐了 老爹
There you are, Judge, is that enough?
法官大人 这样够了吗?
Yes, I think so.
我想应该够了
Take the money over to the clerk’s desk.
把钱拿给法警
Mr. Vanderhof, you’re a very lucky man to have so many friends.
范先生 你很幸运有这么多朋友
Yes.
是的
How about it, Lieutenant? You can’t come in here.
放我们进去吧? 不行
Come on, will you? Let us take just one flash.
拜托 拍一张照片就行了
Now, gentlemen.
各位
I’d like to dismiss the charges
我撤销…
against the Kirbys of disturbing the peace
对柯比先生扰乱安宁的控诉
but unfortunately they were present at the time of the arrest
但不幸的是 在逮捕行动的当时
and if these people were guilty
如果这些人有罪
then I must naturally assume that the Kirbys were guilty also.
柯比先生也同样有罪
But Your Honor, that’s absurd.
庭上 这样没道理
Unless, of course, they can explain what they were doing there.
除非他解释当时为何在现场
Don’t say a word, Anthony.
别说话 安东尼
I’m afraid they’ve got you, Mother.
这下你糗了 妈妈
Do you realize, Your Honor,
你该了解
that this gentleman is Mr. Anthony P. Kirby?
他们是柯比家族
I’ve been made to realize that fact.
我很清楚这个事实
Perhaps Mr. Anthony P. Kirby himself can explain
或许 柯比先生本人可以解释
what they were doing there.
他们当时在做什么
Well, Your Honor. . . I don’t think that that’s important.
庭上 我不觉得那很重要
Haven’t we been embarrassed enough?
我们受的委屈还不够吗?
It seems to me a little more respect should be shown for our position.
至少我们的地位应该获得尊重
Your Honor, this charge is absolutely ridiculous.
庭上 你的指控实在荒唐至极
Failing a satisfactory explanation,
如果提不出满意的解释
I shall be obliged to have them stand trial.
那我只好把他们继续收押审判
But. . . They have the right to be heard.
但是 他们有权利被倾听
Your Honor, please.
庭上 容我说一句话
Mr. Kirby came to see me about buying my house.
柯比先生想买♥♥我的房♥子
About buying your house? Yes.
买♥♥你的房♥子? 是的
You see,
很明了
he’s been interested in the property for some time now and. . .
他对我那片土地的兴趣由来已久
Well, he just came there to talk a deal over.
他特地亲自来谈这笔交易
That’s all.
就这些
Why, of course that’s why we were there,
我们正是因为这个原因
and I don’t see why we should be held accountable
我们没有理由
for anything that these people might have done.
为这些人犯的罪而负任何责任
That’s not true. Now, Alice.
胡说八道 爱丽丝
Grandpa, I won’t stand for it.
爷爷 我看不下去了
I won’t stand for our being humiliated like this.
我受不了你们这样的侮辱
They’re ashamed to tell you why they were there.
他们不好意思说出当时的原因
They’re ashamed to admit they came to look my family over
他们特地去见我的家人
to see if I was good enough to marry their precious son.
看我是否配得上他的宝贝儿子
I never heard anything
乱讲一通…
so ridiculous in my life. Now just a minute, Your Honor.
太可笑了 等一下 法官大人
She’s right. That’s the reason we were there.
她说得对 这就是我们在那里的原因
It’s about time you spoke up.
你现在才说
I’ve decided that it’s your family that isn’t good enough.
我现在知道 你家人配不上我们
Why, I wouldn’t
我不愿…
be related to a bunch of snobs like that for anything in the world.
和一群势利鬼当亲戚
Your mother’s all in a dither because of her social reputation.
你母亲只凭社会地位来判断人
That’s telling them, Alice.
说得好 他们自以为是谁
Who do they think they are?
在我看来 你们全部一文不值
Order!
秩序
Your reputation’s safe as far as I’m concerned
在我看来 你的名声没有受损
and so is your son’s, and so’s your old man’s.
你们爷俩都是
What’s up?
怎么了?
Cinderella just told Prince Charming to go take a flying leap.
十万火急 赶到报社 登上头版