嗯 可塑性强的
Hmm. Malleable.
灵活的 随和的
Flexible. Likeable.
立场不坚定 观点不突出
No firm opinions. No bright ideas.
思维不敏锐 没能力改变现状
Not intellectually committed. No strength of purpose to change anything.
公认的好操纵 懂得接受引导
Someone who can be manipulated, professionally guided.
将国家大事留给专家处理
leave the business of government in the hands of the experts.
天呐 天呐 天呐 办不到
Oh, dear, oh, dear, oh, dear! It’s impossible.
怎么?政♥府♥里很多人喜欢不干涉的领导
A lot would welcome a less-interventionist leader.
那两个候选人不喜欢 可以说服他们
Not the other two candidates! They might be persuaded.
什么 让他们退出?
What, to stand aside?
你看了他们的军情五处档案吗?
Yes. Have you seen their Ml5 files?
没有 一定要看内阁大臣的安全档案
No. Always send for Cabinet Ministers’ Ml5 files
如果你想找乐子的话
if you enjoy a good laugh!
哦 伯纳 爵士
Oh, Bernard. Sir.
就这些 多谢你
Just… Thank you very much.
请坐下 谢谢
Do sit down. Thank you.
顺便 新年快乐 多谢您
Happy New Year, by the way. Thank you.
好的
Right.
那么
So…
这是我在行政部最后一件事了
…this is our very last piece of DAA business
恐怕是的 汉弗莱爵士
Yes, I’m afraid so, Sir Humphrey.
啊 好吧
Ah, well.
伯纳 我问你个问题
Bernard, just let me ask you something.
你愿不愿意你的现任上司…
What would you say to your present master…
当下届首相?
…as the next Prime Minister?
你说大臣? 对
The Minister? Yes.
哈克先生? 对
Mr Hacker? Yes.
当首相? 对
As Prime Minister? Yes.
你赶时间吗?
Are you in a hurry?
不 我看看今天是不是愚人节
Just checking it’s not April 1st.
你觉得你的大臣当不了首相吗?
you mean your Minister is not up to Prime Minister?
当然不 阿诺德爵士 我没资格…
Oh, no, Sir Arnold, it’s not for me to, er…
我是说…当然…我认为他…
Well, I mean… Of course, I’m… I’m sure he’s, er…
哦 天呐
Oh, gosh!
许多人看到这一委任有种种好处
There are many advantages in the appointment.
对英国 对英国
For Britain. For Britain.
对 好吧 所以我们交待给你
Yes, well, yes… So we trust you
确保你的大臣未来几周内
to ensure your Minister does nothing incisive
不要过激 不要引起争议
or divisive over the next few weeks.
避免一切反对意见 任何事都不要明确表态
Expresses no firm opinion about anything.
明白了吗? 好吧 反正他本来也打算这么做
is that clear? I think that’s what he was planning anyway.
这一切都是为什么 伯纳?
What’s it all for, Bernard?
我们在做什么? 有什么意义?
What are we all doing? What does it all mean?
我没学过神学 大臣
I didn’t read theology, Minister.
全是无用功 就说昨晚欧共体的宴会
The waste of it all. Take that EEC reception last night.
汉弗莱向我介绍一位官员
Humphrey introduced me to an official
专门雇佣农民生产过剩粮食
who pays farmers to produce surplus food
又介绍另一位 他雇佣人们销毁过剩粮食
and then another official who pays to destroy the surpluses.
然后雇几千名官僚制♥造♥大批公文 让他们运转
Then they pay thousands of bureaucrats to make it all work.
看了这些 你不郁闷吗 伯纳?
Doesn’t the futility of it all depress you?
不 大臣 我是公务员
Not really. I’m a civil servant.
我和埃里克和邓肯都谈过了
I’ve been talking to Eric and Duncan.
我好像答应支持埃里克
I think I’ve promised to support Eric’s candidature.
好吧 然后我好像又答应支持邓肯
I see. Then I think I promised to support Duncan’s.
这很公平 大臣
That sounds very even-handed, Minister.
对 但我总要食言一次 雪利酒?
But I can’t keep both promises. Sherry?
谢谢您 这只是政♥治♥许诺而已吧 大臣
Thank you. They were only political promises.
对…怎么讲?
Yes… What do you mean?
就像您的竞选纲领 人们会理解的
I mean, like your manifesto promises, people understand.
没错
Yes.
问题在于 他们俩也没明确许诺我什么
But non of them made any categorical promises to me.
那您就没顾虑了 当然有 我总得支持一方
Then you have no problem. Have decide who to support.
不仅仅是押宝的问题 我的态度举足轻重
It’s not just picking the winner. My support could tip the balance.
问题在于我想做外长还是财长?
Do I want to be Foreign Secretary or Exchequer?
都不想 是吗? 为什么不呢?
Neither, do you? Why not?
两边都是苦差
They’re both such terrible jobs!
你说的可是内阁三大宝座之二
You’re talking about two of the top three Cabinet jobs.
我明白 大臣
I realise that.
伯纳 你是公务员 你不懂政♥治♥ 抱歉
As a civil servant, you don’t understand politics. Sorry.
政♥治♥成功就在于曝光
To be a success, you have to be in the limelight.
财政部长受万众瞩目 一定能增加选票
You have a very high profile as Chancellor of the Exchequer
你明白吧? 对 可是恕我直言 大臣
You see now, don’t you? But with respect, Minister…
财政部长最煞风景 他得提高烟酒税率
The Chancellor is Mr Killjoy. Raising taxes on beer and cigarettes
降低公共设施预算 很招选民怨恨
cutting down public spending goes badly with electorate.
我还是别当财政部长了 根本没出路
Maybe I don’t want to be Chancellor of the Exchequer.
没有 大臣 除非他们再挤兑您去管外♥交♥部♥
Unless you’re sent to the Foreign Office as punishment.
挤兑? 对 这个工作更惨
Punishment? It’s an even worse job.
国外赚不到选票? 正是
No votes in Foreign Affairs? Exactly.
外♥交♥部♥善待外国人 国民却希望越狠越好
The FCO loves foreigners, but the British people don’t.
可不是
Quite.
从世界局势看来 外♥交♥部♥可有可无
As far as world politics goes, the Foreign Office is an irrelevance.
我们又没有实权 就是个美军导弹基地
We’ve no real power. We’re just an American missile base!
没错 大臣
Yes, Minister.
前有虎穴 后有狼窝
Between the devil and the deep blue sea.
除非…您还有一种选择
Unless… Of course, there is one other option.
是什么? 中间路线
What other option? Do the middle job.
中间?内政部吗?管那些抢劫 越狱 种族骚乱?
Home Secretary? Responsible for all the muggings, race riots?
免了吧 谢谢 不是 是获取所有功劳的职位
No, thank you! No, be the one who takes all the credit.
你指什么?该不会…
What do you mean? You mean…?
你不是说…?
You don’t mean…?
你真的是说…?
You do mean…?
那么 组织秘书处意下如何?
How’s it all looking from the Chief Whip’s office?
你知道 如果埃里克当选
You know, If Eric gets it
不出三个月党派就会分♥裂♥
we’ll have a party split in three months.
要是邓肯 不出三个星期
If it’s Duncan, it’ll take three weeks.
杰弗里 首相要我对你寄予完全信任
Geoffrey, the PM’s asked me to take you into my confidence.
本不该告诉你 但是怎么说呢 他们有安全问题
I shouldn’t tell you but there are security question marks
两位候选人都有
over both the current candidates.
什么安全问题? 唉 我不能透露
What question marks? Alas, I can say no more.
首相不在 这又是党内事务
The only person I can disclose this to in the PM’s absence,
我只能透露给一个人 就是党主席
and as it is a party matter, is the chairman of the party.
吉姆哈克 对 他答应会来
Jim Hacker. He’s promised to join us.
不过眼下 党内有折衷的候选人吗?
But do you think the party can find a compromise candidate?
少说有五六个 你考虑过党主席本人吗?
Could be half a dozen. Have you considered the chairman?
吉姆哈克?
Jim Hacker?!
吉姆哈克…
Jim Hacker…
有可能的 对不对?
Yes, it is possible, isn’t it?
毕竟 更糟的首相我们也选过
After all, there have been less likely Prime Ministers.
对…
Yes…
哪位?
Who?
肯定有的吧
Oh, there must have been!
抱歉
Sorry
什么?好的 请他进来
Yes? Oh, all right. Send him in.
大臣 您能来太好了
Minister, so good of you to call.
亨利 早安
Henry. Morning.
请坐
Do sit down. Minister…
大臣 我有个问题 想请您帮忙
…I have a problem and I need your help.
天啊天啊 你一个人治理不了国家吗?
Oh, dear! Can’t you run the country on your own?
是的 恐怕状况很严重 对 当然
It is a rather grave matter, I’m afraid. Yes, of course.
事关大选 首相不得不请您来商议
About the election. The PM felt we had to call you in.
到这地步啦?
That bad, eh?
有某些秘密信息
There are certain items of confidential information
尽管从理论上看来无可厚非
In theory might be susceptible of interpretation,
却也不乏含糊暧昧之处
do nevertheless contain a sufficient element of ambiguity,
如果存心不以善意度之
were they to be presented in a less than generous manner,
可能会造成尴尬 甚至有
might be a source of great embarrassment and even hazard
危及高度敏感机关公信力之虞
to impinge upon the deliberations of more sensitivity.
你说什么?
I’m sorry?
他是说安全问题 安全问题?怎么讲?
About security question marks. Security? What do you mean?
机密 我知道什么是安全问题
Secrets. I know what security means.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!