并不是保护酒后驾车用的
It is not to protect drunks who drive cars.
我不要挨办事员的训 你这种地位的也不行
I will not be lectured by a functionary
我是堂堂御前大臣 当然 大臣 我十分抱歉
I’m a Minister of the Crown. Yes, of course. I do apologise.
我会照您的意思 上报女王陛下
I will inform the Crown of the incident if that is your wish.
我…
I…
算了 你可以告诉内务部我接受教训了
Now I think of it, you can tell the Home Office I take the point.
谢谢您 大臣 内务部长知道吗?
Thank you, Minister. Does the Home Secretary himself know?
这倒无所谓
It hardly matters.
恐怕内务部长没有您幸运
I’m afraid the Home Secretary has not been as lucky as you were,
所以他今天没出席内阁
which is why he wasn’t at Cabinet.
您也知道 他亲自发起”圣诞勿酒后驾车”运动
He initiated “Don’t drink and drive” campaign
命令警方”严惩肇事者”
and ordered the police to “get tough”.
不幸的是
Well, unfortunately…
昨晚他也因酒后驾车被捕 在他自己的选区
he, too, was picked up last night for drunken driving
您看旗帜晚报第一版了吗?
Have you seen the first edition of the Standard?
他的警卫员哪去了? 显然被他甩掉了
Where on earth was his security man? He’d given him the slip.
您知道这些醉鬼多狡猾
You know how cunning these drunks can be.
这事难道不能遮过去?用银章呢?
Couldn’t they have hushed it up? Silver badge job?
他的情况特殊 他撞翻了一台卡车
His case was rather different. He caused a lorry to overturn
里面满载核废料
It was full of nuclear waste.
他弹回来 正中地方报纸主编的车
rebounded into a car driven by the editor of a local newspaper.
不会吧
Oh, no.
自然就泄漏了 核废料?
Inevitably, it leaked out. The nuclear waste?
不 是消息
No, the story.
内务大臣非辞职不可了 唉 可不是
The Home Secretary will have to resign. Alas, yes.
要把他怎样呢? 这个嘛
What will happen to him? Well…
既然他醉得跟个爵爷一样
I gather he was as drunk as a lord
大概要冷藏一阵 然后封个爵吧
so after a discreet interval, they’ll probably make him one!
他肯定被留下了
He’s obviously been held up.
你等的时候 可以帮忙贴贴邮票
You can stamp some cards if you like.
不是给选民的吗? 是
Aren’t they to constituents? Yes.
那就不是政♥府♥行为 是政♥治♥行为 我无权插手
That’s political activity. I’m not allowed to help.
要是给记者的呢? 那就可以
If they’re to journalists? That’d be OK.
这些是给记者的 好
They’re to journalists. Fine.
恐怕媒体公♥关♥的本质就是一个个舔过来
Licking is essential of relationships with the press.
我听说内阁要改组 对 新闻可能会报
I hear the reshuffle is about to be announced.
我喜欢看新闻 最容易找到吉姆在哪
It’s my best chance of finding out where Jim is.
此事显然与美国♥军♥方有联♥系♥
There was no question of American military involved.
插播一条简讯 来自唐宁街10号♥
We’ve j’ust had a newsflash from Number 10 Downing Street.
首相将于新年期间提前退休
The Prime Minister is to retire early in the New Year.
他声称不打算进入下届议会
He does not want to serve in another Parliament,
以便接♥班♥人顺利执政 继而参加普选
giving his successor a good run-up to the next election.
我们将尽快播发后续报道
We’ll bring you further news as soon as we can.
听见没有? 听见了
(ALL) Have you heard? (ALL) Yes!
内阁紧急会议就说这个 怎么这么突然?
The emergency Cabinet meeting was to tell us. Why so suddenly?
首相说是为了便于接♥班♥人参选
He said to give his successor a good run-up to the next election
所以肯定不是为这个
so that can’t be the reason.
那为什么? 有各种神奇的流言
Why, then? Some extraordinary rumours are going about.
左翼说他是中情局的密探
The left say he’s a secret CIA agent.
右翼说他是克格勃的密探
The right say he’s a secret KGB agent
大臣 我听到的完全不同
Minister, I’ve heard something quite different,
说有价值一百万的南非钻石
that there is ? million-worth of diamonds from South Africa
藏在唐宁街保险箱里
in a Downing Street safe,
但这只是流言 真的假的?
but it’s only a rumour. Is that true?
真的
Yes.
这么说唐宁街真有钻石
So, there ARE all those diamonds in Downing Street!
有吗? 你说有的
Are there? You said there were!
我没说 你说了
I didn’t. You did!
你说有流言 我问真的假的 你说是真的
I said is the rumour true, you said yes!
真的有这流言
True it’s a rumour.
你听说是真的 真的只是听说
You heard it was true! True I heard it!
抱歉打扰你们的重要谈话 不过你相信吗?
Sorry to cut in, but do you believe it?
我相信我听说过
I believe I heard it.
钻石吗?不信 不可能吗?
Oh, about the diamonds? No. Is it impossible?
不是 不过官方从未否认过
No, but it’s never been officially denied.
政♥治♥第一定律 只有官方否认的才可信
First rule of politics: Never believe anything until it’s officially denied.
会举♥行♥普选吗? 没必要
Will there be a general election? There’s no need.
我们已经是多数派了 选个新♥党♥魁就行
The majority’s big enough. We’ll just choose a new leader.
你想当吗? 我?没指望
Do you want the job? Me? No chance!
要么埃里克 要么邓肯
It’ll either be Eric or Duncan.
本来是雷的 他是副党♥魁♥
It should have been Ray. He was Deputy Leader.
不过他得辞去内政部长职位…
But as he’s had to resign as Home Secretary…
当然 所以首相要辞职 为什么?
Of course! That’s why the PM resigned! (BERNARD) Why?
他一向讨厌雷 他拖到今天
He’s always hated Ray. He just hung on
就为了避免副党♥魁♥上位
to make sure his deputy didn’t get the leadership!
就像艾德礼对付莫里森
Like Attlee and Morrison.
所以他辞职 好让新♥党♥魁趁普选前进入10号♥?
So it is to give time for the new leader to be run in?
现在内政部长可进去了
Now that the Home Secretary’s been run in
埃里克想要我支持他
Eric wants my support for the leadership.
他很合适 他是个成功的财政部长
He could be the right man. He’s been a fairly successful Chancellor.
我已经暗示我会…倒向他
I’ve already indicated that I’m… on his side.
邓肯呢? 对 邓肯也不错
What about Duncan? Yes, Duncan could be the man.
他在外♥交♥部♥干得挺好
He’s done fairly well at the Foreign Office.
我打算支持邓肯
I think I’ll support Duncan
你支持埃里克和邓肯两个?
You’re supporting Eric AND Duncan?
无所谓 如果我支持埃里克而邓肯赢了 没办法
It’s all very well, but if I support Eric and Duncan gets it, that’s it.
如果我支持邓肯而埃里克赢了
If I support Duncan and Eric gets it
也没办法 干脆两边都不支持
that’s it. Don’t support either!
那谁赢了 我都没办法 你到底支持谁?
Whoever gets it, that’s it. So who are you supporting?
邓肯
Duncan.
或者埃里克
Or Eric.
邓肯争议太大 要是为党派着想
Duncan’s so divisive. It really would be for the good of the party,
为国家着想 埃里克 我怎么能…
the good of the country… Eric, I don’t see how I can.
你的支持至关重要 你人缘好
Your support would be crucial. You’re universally popular…
我不知道… 公众形象好
I don’t know… Good public image…
没错 大家都说你可靠
Yes… Regarded as sound.
是吗? 所以如果你倒向我这边
Am I? So, if you put your weight behind me…
可我毕竟是党主席
You see my problem as chairman of the party.
如果邓肯当选呢?你就惨了 这个嘛…
What would happen if Duncan got it? Disaster! Well…
告诉你 我连外♥交♥部♥都不给他
Tell you what. I wouldn’t keep him at the Foreign Office.
我要任命新外♥交♥部♥长
I’d look for a new Foreign Secretary.
我说过 我必须表现得中立
But as I said, I must appear impartial.
不过如果有办法暗示我的支持…
But if there could be ways of hinting at my support for you…
暗示得完全中立
…in a perfectly impartial way…
可是邓肯 作为党主席…
But Duncan, as chairman of the party…
正因为你是主席 分量才重
As such you carry even more weight.
你没树过什么敌 暂时还没有
You haven’t got any real enemies. Not yet, anyway.
但职责要求我保持中立
But it’s my job to be impartial.
要是埃里克当选 国家就遭殃了 对
If Eric got into Number 10 it’d be catastrophic. Yes…
吉姆 我们在同一战线吧?
Jim, we’re on the same side, aren’t we?
对 那就好
Yes. Good.
我一定会赢 我不会忘掉跟我作对的人
I’m going to win and I never forgive people who let me down.
我不能太公开支持
I can’t make my support too public.
不用公开 大家心里清楚就好
It doesn’t have to be public, just so long as everybody knows.
等我进了10号♥ 埃里克去了北爱尔兰…
Then when I’m in Number 10, and Eric’s in Northern Ireland…
谁做财政部长就很清楚了 对吧? 是吗?
we know who’ll be the next Chancellor, don’t we? Do we?
你是说…?
You mean…?
还是你自己想去北爱尔兰?
Unless you fancy Northern Ireland yourself?
信息自♥由♥运♥动♥进展如何?
How are things at the Campaign for the Freedom of Information?
抱歉 我无权透露
Sorry, I can’t talk about that.
新首相会是我们伟大的财长
So, will the new PM be our eminent Chancellor
还是卓越的外长呢?
or our distinguished Foreign Secretary?
我正想问你 你觉得应该是谁?
Well, which do you think it should be?
不好说 这就像选个疯子管理精神病院
Difficult. Like asking which lunatic should run the asylum.
问题是 他们都信奉干涉主义 要是当首相
Trouble is, they’re both interventionists with notions
一定事必躬亲 谁站我们这边?
if they became PM. Have we any allies?
许多人 尤其是总组织秘书
Quite a few, the Chief Whip particularly.
他担心谁当选都会
He’s worried that who gets the job will
清算对手的支持者
antagonise the other’s supporters
使党派分♥裂♥ 所以要另找个折衷的
and split the party. So we need a compromise candidate.