Tell me your dream car, I’ll tell you who you are.
哦 那么…
Oh, that…
好 我能试探出总监们的意向
Good. I’ll sound out the board of directors
但我不想看到任何阻碍
but I don’t foresee any obstacles.
再见…
Good-bye…
总监先生
Mr. Director.
帮我拿一片阿司匹林
Bring me an aspirin, please.
马上
Right away.
有事?
Problems?
是的 我要晋升了
Yes, I’m being promoted.
弗雷德!
Fred!
他们管你叫技术总监?
Did he name you technical director?
你看上去不高兴
You don’t seem very pleased.
我为什么不高兴?
Why should I be?
我会和沃尔摩尔一样 和西斯金斯产生隔阂 等等
I’ll have the same problems with Siskins as Vollmer did, just wait.
那你为什么接受?
Then why did you accept?
斯莫莱克戎是最让人兴奋的研究计划
Simulacron’s the most exciting research project
在整个世界上
in the entire world.
没有能比得上它的
Nothing else comes close.
我会得到很多薪酬以及…
I’ll earn a good salary and…
只是西斯金斯
It’s just Siskins.
如果沃尔摩尔是对的 那么…
If Vollmer was right, then…
玛雅…
Maja…
忘了这些吧
Forget all this.
我会的
I’ll forget it.
谢谢
Thanks.
沃尔摩尔的办公室腾出来了吗
Has Vollmer’s office been emptied?
没有
No.
他的东西还在那里
His things are still there.
取消我的预约 我要去沃尔摩尔的办公室
Cancel my appointments. I’ll be in Vollmer’s office.
你在干什么?
What are you doing?
你吓坏我了
You’re hurting me.
谢谢 弗雷德·斯蒂勒
Thank you, Fred Stiller.
– 你是弗雷德·斯蒂勒? – 是的 你在干什么?
– You are Fred Stiller? – Yes, but what are you doing?
前台保安让我进来的
The guard at the front desk showed me in.
你不是…?
Aren’t you?
我是伊娃·沃尔摩尔
I’m Eva Vollmer.
– 我没认出来 – 正常
– I didn’t recognize you. – Naturally.
我来收拾父亲的遗物
I’m here because I was asked to pick up Father’s things.
[蒙特勒:瑞士某镇]
– 我以为你在蒙特勒 – 回来一个月了
– I thought you were in Montreux. – I’ve been back a month.
当你和你父亲…
You were with your father when…
他表现得奇怪吗?他看起来紧张吗?
Was he acting strange? Did he seem nervous?
我没注意到 为什么这么问?
Not that I noticed. Why?
因为他…
Because he…
我想他是在做重要的研究
I think he had made an important discovery.
他没告诉我
He couldn’t tell me.
他不再全神贯注
He was a bit preoccupied, no more.
如果你问我…
You know, if you were to visit me…
我乐意回答 真的
I’d like that, really.
告诉我…
Tell me…
你父亲经常和古恩特·劳兹见面吗
Did your dad see much of Güther Lause?
你的叔叔 古恩特·劳兹
Your uncle, Güther Lause.
从没听说过他
Never heard of him.
你不记得你的叔叔了?
You don’t remember your uncle?
我清楚地记得
I remember him very well.
他叫雅各布 雅各布·梅科纳
His name was Jakob, Jakob Meixner.
他四年前死了
He died four years ago.
伊娃?
Eva?
我能…
Can I…
我能帮你做点什么吗
Can I be of any help?
我能行的
I’ll manage.
父亲给我留下一些钱 还有房♥子
Father left me a bit of money, and the house.
弗雷德 抱歉我错怪你了
I apologize, Fred. I misjudged you.
我以为你只是觊觎我父亲的职位
I thought you were interested only in taking Father’s job.
我应该多了解一些
I should’ve known better.
我想吃蛋糕
I’d like some cake.
去柜台拿你想要的东西
Choose what you want at the counter.
你被捕了 跟我来
You’re under arrest. Come with me.
呀 弗朗茨 你吓到我了
Jeez, Franz, you scared me.
那个
That one.
两杯威士忌
And two whiskeys.
怎么了 斯蒂勒?
What’s up, Stiller?
这里…
Here…
突然想到一个谜语 画谜
Here’s a riddle I came across, a rebus.
想象一下 一个希腊勇士拿着一支矛
Imagine a drawing of a Greek warrior holding a spear
面朝右边 然后迈出一步
looking to his right, and taking a step.
还有一只乌龟和他动作一致
With a turtle going the same way.
首先…
First…
耳熟吗
does that ring a bell?
其次…
Second…
眼熟吗
ever seen such a drawing?
我?这都什么啊?
Me? What’s this all about?
沃尔摩尔留给我一幅画
Vollmer left me that drawing.
你觉得是什么意思?
Does it mean anything to you?
硬要说的话 就是怪异
Bizarre, if you ask me.
肯定怪异
Bizarre, sure.
– 这让你想起些什么吗 – 也许
– Does it remind you of anything? – Maybe.
什么?
What?
齐诺
Zeno.
齐诺悖论
Zeno’s paradox.
阿基里斯和龟
Achilles and the tortoise.
阿基里斯想要抓住乌龟 但是不行
Achilles tries to overtake the tortoise, but cannot.
当他到达那里时 乌龟已经移♥动♥到前面了
By the time he reaches where it was, the turtle has moved ahead.
这悖论和我们的工作有什么关系?
What could the paradox mean to our work?
我只是为民服务的心理学家
I’m only the psychologist for our creations.
但是…
But…
我想起这悖论意思是
as I recall, the paradox is meant to show that
移♥动♥是假象
movement is an illusion.
和我们的工作有什么关系
What’s the link to our work?
沃尔摩尔死前表现得很奇怪
Vollmer was acting very strange before he died.
芝士蛋糕 谁要的芝士蛋糕
Cheesecake? Who ordered the cheesecake?
也许有原因 他说什么了?
Maybe for a reason. What did he say?
你要的芝士蛋糕?
Did you order cheesecake?
没有…我的意思是 是的 我想是我要的 谢谢
No… I mean, yes. I think I ordered it, thanks.
他怎么奇怪了?
How was he strange?
他出事前三天 和我下棋
I played chess with him three days before he died.
仿佛变了个人 成了哲学狂
He wasn’t himself, he was rambling on about philosophy.
还做出了令人震惊的发现
He had made a shattering discovery.
什么?
What?
他没有明说 是个秘密之类的
He wouldn’t say. It was a secret. Something like that.
弗雷德 你为什么对这个这么感兴趣?
Why are you so interested in it, Fred?
我认为沃尔摩尔的死不是意外
I don’t think Vollmer’s death was an accident.
你什么意思?
What do you mean?
我知道沃尔摩尔和西斯金斯意见不合
I know about Vollmer and Siskins’ disagreements
在仿真模型的应用方面
on the applications of the simulation model.
我不是说这个
I said no such thing.
好的
OK, fine.
顺便说一句 我能想象到
By the way, I can imagine what
沃尔摩尔的令人震惊的发现是什么
Vollmer’s shattering discovery was.
我打赌这和
I bet it had to do with his attitude towards
我们在他计算机上编写的“身份单元”有关
the identity units we’d programmed in his computer.
你记得他是怎么称呼他们的 “我的孩子们”
You remember how he called them “my children”.
他只是开玩笑
He was only joking.
若不问清自己
You can’t spend years feeding data into a computer
这能否带来类似人类意识的产物
that allows for the simulation of every aspect of human behaviour
又怎会耗费多年心血…
without asking yourself if it might lead to the creation
整理这些涉及人类行为各方面的数据
of something resembling human consciousness.
劳兹说过“让人震惊的发现”
Lause spoke of a “shattering discovery”.
劳兹?是谁?
Lause? Who’s he?
行了 如果我不信任他 绝不会去找警♥察♥的
Stop. If I hadn’t believed him, I’d never have told the cops.