我忘记系安全带
I forgot the strap.
第二道安全带
That second strap.
我忘记把它扣上
I forgot to click it
你从座位上摔出去
and you were thrown from your seat.
他们觉得你可能脑部受伤
And they thought that maybe it had got to your brain.
这些年,这件事一直让我很内疚
And that’s the thing that’s been taking hold of me all these years.
你可能真的脑部受伤了
That maybe it had.
对不起
And I’m sorry.
但是我脑部没有受伤
But it didn’t.
没有,没受伤
No, it didn’t.
如果你想躺在我身边
If you wanna lie down next to me,
来吧,没事
that’ll be okay.
感谢上帝她能洗心革面
God bless her for cleaning herself up.
但她是不是决定我们孩子命运的最佳人选呢
But is it wrong to ask if this is the best person
我问这个问题有错吗?
to be making decisions for our kids.
家长们怀疑她领导学校的能力
It’s completely fair to question whether
这完全合乎常理
parents want her leading this school.
是吗,看看我们在座的各位
Yeah? Look at us all here.
听听他们的回答吧
Asked and answered, cupcake. Asked and answered.
看看你努力的成果
Now look what you gone and done.
祝你好运
Good luck.
过来啊
Come on, you guys.
我们有受教育的权利!
Education is our right! Fight! Fight! Fight!
我们要改变教程教学
It’s about the curriculum and things are going to change!
他们来了!他们来了!
They’re here! They’re here!
And so it begins. The hearing on proposed
乔治·亚当斯小学改革听证会
changes to John Adams Elementary.
现在开始
好了,肃静
Okay, that’s not happening.
经过三个小时的审查
Now, after three hours of executive session
以及对各地方提交的陈述报告的考察
and a review of statements submitted from all sides,
校董事会决定
the board has determined
阿尔贝茨以及菲茨女士提交的申请
that the petition submitted by Ms. Alberts and Ms. Fitzpatrick
将被否决
will be denied.
安静,安静
Quiet. Quiet.
为什么不投票?
Tell us why we didn’t get a vote.
个中缘由不便透露
It’s not board policy to divulge that information.
信不信由你,校董事会决定破例,仅此一次
For once, believe it or not, the board will make an exception.
大家应该知道
People should know this has nothing to do
这个跟最近对阿尔伯茨女士的人身攻击无关
with the recent character attacks on Ms. Alberts.
布兰特先生,驳回是你做出的决定
Mr. Brandt, you made the motion to dismiss,
你来跟我们解释清楚原因
so step up and enlighten us as to why.
简短陈述即可
Points for brevity.
我刚刚说,董事会的政策规定…
As I just said, board policy stipulates…
先生
Sir.
我的董事长任期还剩一个多星期
I’m chair of this board for one more week,
也就是说,今天还是我说了算
which means today I am board policy.
拜托你看看申请的第322条
I call your attention to the proposal, line 322.
辅♥导♥教♥育♥部♥分
The remedial education section.
322条说财政预算是431054美元
The budget amount on line 322 says $431,054.
倒推算一算
Now there’s some backwards math.
不用想也知道
A wild guess tells me the intended number
财政预算应当是134000,而不是431000
was 134, not 431,000.
如果我错了,请纠正我
But please, correct me if I’m wrong.
布莱特先生,你是对的
Mr. Brandt, you’re right.
数字弄错了
The numbers were wrong.
我写反了
I must’ve reversed them.
那我们还要把责任交给
So we should entrust the teaching of basic math skills
连数字都会写反的人吗?
to someone who can’t even do it herself?
太没道理了
Come on. That’s ridiculous.
申请需要被重新修改,重新递交
The proposal needs to be corrected and resubmitted.
但那就是明年了
But that’s next year.
我们就快点结束吧
Let’s move on.
太扯了吧
But it’s ridiculous.
快点结束吧
Let’s move on.
我可以说句话吗?
Can I say one thing?
菲茨女士,请说
Please, go ahead, Ms. Fitzpatrick.
我把数字写反了
The numbers are flipped because I flipped the numbers
整个计划里出现这个错,因为我有阅读障碍
one time in this whole proposal, because I’m dyslexic.
我有阅读障碍
I’m dyslexic.
我有阅读障碍
I’m dyslexic.
我在我女儿这么大的时候,都不知道有这个病
I never even said that word when I was my daughter’s age
因为我上的那所学校,让我觉得我是个傻子
because the school I went to made me feel dumb.
他们也不管我,就让我这么下去
And they didn’t do anything about it, they just passed me through.
玛丽亚
Malia.
我不会让你跟我一样
I will not let that happen to you.
我要你去的学校,他们和我一样认可你
I need you to go to a school that knows what I know.
他们认可你的聪明
That you are so smart.
你非常聪明
You’re so smart.
大家还记得我们为什么来这里吗?
Do any of you even remember what we’re doin’ here?
我们来这里不是为这个
Because we’re not here for this.
我们来这里不是为了工会、教师或是家长
We’re not here for unions and teachers and parents.
我们来这里为了我们的孩子
We’re here for our kids.
我还有所有的老师、家长
And me and all of these teachers and parents,
就因为一处打印错误,所有的工夫都白费了
we didn’t go through all this to get turned down for a typo.
我知道了
Now I know
你们就是找尽一切理由否决这所学校
you’re gonna find any reason you can to turn this school down
而这并不会影响我们做的事情
and that it doesn’t really matter what we do.
即使如此
But even so,
你们不投票我就不走
I’m not leavin’ this room till you give us some kind of a vote.
我们要看投票结果
Let’s see how this plays out.
投票
Vote.
投票
Vote.
投票!
Vote!
好了,结合所有的情况,我觉得今天很适合口头表决
Okay, all things considered, I say it’s a good day for a voice vote.
谢谢
Thank you.
我第一个投票,因为我是主席
Now, I’m gonna vote first because I bought the gavel.
我投赞成票
My vote is yes.
布兰特先生
Mr. Brandt.
反对
No.
索思威克女士
Ms. Southwick.
我知道你们出发点是好的
I know you’re all well-intentioned people
我为你们的决心鼓掌
and I applaud your commitment,
但是这项工作很复杂
but I see no reason you’re best-equipped
我恐怕你们能力不够
to handle a job of this magnitude.
我想还是让专业人士去做吧
I think we let the professionals be professionals.
我投反对票
My vote is no.
万俊先生
Mr. Mannie.
如果家长和教师都有意愿
If the parents and teachers want it,
我也会,我赞成
so do I. Yes.
施瓦茨女士
Ms. Schwartz.
我完全赞成
I’m all over this.
赞成票
Yes.
帕里什先生
Mr. Parrish.
当一半…
At a time when half…
一半的新老师
I mean, half of all new teachers
工作不到五年就辞职了
quit in their first five years,
我们要做的,是更大程度地激励教师
we need to be creating more incentives
提供更多的保护,而不是减少保护
and more protection for them, not less.
反对票
No.
谢谢你,先生!
Thank you, sir!
谢谢
Thank you.
还有一票,还有一票
One more. One more.
金先生
And Mr. King.
你有决定票
You have the deciding vote.
要这样,记得吗?好运小姐
Like this, remember? For lady luck.
记得,记得
Yes. Yes.
我的好运就是你,我的好运是你
You’re my luck. You’re my luck.
这所学校被评为不及格
This school is failing.
不及格很久了
It’s been failing for too long.
是所烂学校
It’s a broken school.