Well, I will do them the favor of staying alive.
噢 兰迪 你不能开快点吗
Oh, Randy, can’t you drive a little faster?
看 你面包上的巧克力都化了
Look, the chocolate on your donut is melting.
就坐这儿
Right here.
-古尔德先生 -你好
-Mr. Gould. -Hi.
-勋伯格先生 -很高兴见到你 先生
-Mr. Schoenberg. -An absolute pleasure, sir.
阿特曼太太
Mrs. Altmann.
德赫曼博士 很高兴你能从奥地利赶过来
Dr. Dreimann, nice of you to come from Austria.
真让我受宠若惊
That’s very flattering.
我一直都想去迪士尼乐园
I’ve always wanted to visit Disneyland.
俗话说得好 一石二鸟
Two birds with one stone, as they say.
希望我们能让你不虚此行
I hope we make your visit worthwhile.
阿特曼太太 我不得不说
Mrs. Altmann, may I say you’re
你看着比在维也纳的时候更年轻了
looking even younger than you did in Vienna.
你知道吗 我今天早上感觉好像
You know, this morning, I feel as if I have
我还能再活五十年
another 50 years in front of me.
全体起立
All rise.
-别擦了 别擦了 -你这沾上了巧克力…
-Stop it. Stop it. Stop it. -You have chocolate…
开始吧
Let us begin.
-古尔德先生 -法官大人…
-Mr. Gould? -Your Honor…
外国主♥权♥豁免法
the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act
于1976年通过
was passed in 1976,
即为诉讼中的事件发生后38年
a good 38 years after the events in question.
在我看来此规定很明显
It seems to me obvious that the FSIA rulings
无法进行追溯实施 而且我很奇怪
cannot be retroactively applied, and I’m bewildered
阿特曼太太的律师并未提醒她这一事实
that Mrs. Altmann’s counsel has not advised her of this fact.
否则她早已省去很多麻烦
It would have saved her a great deal of inconvenience
和许多无谓的希望了
and an equal amount of false hope.
不 不是的…对我来说没什么麻烦的
No, not really… it is not an inconvenience for me.
礼拜一我店里本来就没什么人来…
Mondays is a quiet day in my shop…
-所以…-很高兴听到你这么说…
-anyway, so… -I’m glad to hear it…
阿特曼太太 但是从现在开始你能不能
Mrs. Altmann, but from now on would you mind
只在接受提问时回话
only speaking when you’re asked?
这些是在法庭里
There are certain procedures
必须要遵守的规定
which must be adhered to in a courtroom.
法官大人 古尔德先生非常正确地指出了
Your Honor, Mr. Gould is right, um, to point out
外国主♥权♥豁免法制定于1976年
that the FSIA was enacted in 1976,
但是他错的地方在于他说
but he’s mistaken in his
这一法律无法进行追溯实施
theory that it cannot be applied retroactively.
如…如果…允许的话
I… if… if I may?
尽管1976年前的诉讼
Despite the fact that actions
非常少见 但它们的确存在
accruing before 1976 are rarer, they very much exist.
这些仅为其中的三个案例
These are just three examples of them.
勋伯格先生 非常感谢…我相信
Thank you very much, Mr. Schoenberg… I’m sure this
这些非常值得一读
will prove to be a riveting read.
休庭十分钟
Let’s adjourn for ten minutes.
这是奥地利的国内事务
This is a domestic matter for Austria.
任何其他定义都是对其国家主♥权♥的侵犯
Anything else would be a violation of its national sovereignty.
毕竟 在奥地利还是有法♥院♥受理
After all, there is a forum for Mrs. Altmann
阿特曼太太案件的诉讼的…
to pursue her case in Austria…
不必依靠美国法♥院♥
without resorting to American courts
和美国纳税人的钱
and American taxpayers’ money.
我赞成古尔德先生对美国纳税人的关心
I applaud Mr. Gould’s concern for the American taxpayer,
但把被告告上奥地利的法庭
but taking the defendant to court in Austria
要求阿特曼太太得有个几百万才行
would require that Mrs. Altmann be a multimillionairess.
这条路行不通
It’s not an option.
事实上 别的路也都行不通
As a matter of fact, we’ve exhausted all other options.
要不然 我们今天
If we hadn’t, we wouldn’t be
也不会站在您的面前
standing before you today.
原告充分证明了
The plaintiff has adequately proven
外国主♥权♥豁免法适用于1976年前的事件
that the FSIA can apply to pre-1976 events.
同时 由于过高的费用
Also, due to prohibitive costs,
法庭认为奥地利无法提供合适的
this court has decided that Austria provides
支持原告索赔主张的法♥院♥
an inadequate forum for resolution of plaintiffs claim.
-法官大人…-拒绝被告驳回案件的申请
-Your Honor… -Defendant’s motion to dismiss is denied.
全体起立
All rise.
闯过了第一关
First hurdle down.
你知道吗 我一直都认为应该有更多的女法官
You know, I’ve always thought there should be more women judges.
这是个挫折 毫无疑问…
This is a setback, absolutely…
德赫曼博士
Dr. Dreimann.
祝贺你 勋伯格先生
Congratulations, Mr Schoenberg.
意想不到的结果啊 毫无疑问…
An unexpected outcome, which, no doubt…
这下你高兴了
has delighted you.
你是个大忙人
You’re a very busy man.
我建议你还是考虑调解吧
I would urge you to consider mediation.
勋伯格先生 绝不调解
There will be no mediation, Mr. Schoenberg.
你们今天只是特别走运
You’ve been exceptionally lucky today,
但是别踏错一步 如果有必要
but make no mistake, we’ll take this
我们是会诉诸于最高法♥院♥的
to the Supreme Court, if we have to.
祝你生活愉快
Good day to you.
去迪士尼玩得开心
Enjoy Disneyland.
六个月后
阿特曼太太 我是罗纳德·兰黛
Mrs. Altmann, I’m Ronald Lauder.
雅诗·兰黛的继承人
The son of Estée.
这个牌子的口红棒极了
Her lipsticks are marvelous.
Stay Mocha系列…我的最爱
Stay Mocha… my favorite.
请坐
Please, sit.
我对于您的斗争十分钦佩
I have so much respect for your campaign.
被纳粹偷走的那些艺术品
The artworks stolen by the
可称为二战中最后的俘虏了
Nazis are the last prisoners of World War II,
艾蒂尔则是其中的女王
and Adele is their queen.
我的婶婶会深感荣幸的
My aunt would be very flattered.
我初次看到这幅画时 还是个年轻人
I was a young man when I first saw the portrait,
我对它一见钟情
and I instantly fell in love.
这就是为什么…
Which is why…
我想把它放在我位于纽约的美术馆
I want it for my gallery in New York.
兰黛先生 我觉得我们有些操之过急了
We’re jumping the gun a little here, Mr. Lauder.
唔 每个人都需要尽可能
Well, one needs to do what one can
去努力争取有利结果
to make a favorable outcome as likely as possible.
因此我想谈谈勋伯格先生
Which brings me to young Mr. Schoenberg.
他现在是极难对付的盟军…
Now, he’s been a formidable ally…
以后也是
And continues to be one.
他很聪明 但是恐怕
Well, he’s very smart, but I’m afraid
他无法胜任最高法♥院♥的诉讼吧 阿特曼太太
he’s not cut out for the Supreme Court, Mrs. Altmann.
能帮你搞定复杂的上诉程序是一♥码♥事
Getting you through the complex appeal process
但到了华盛顿最高法♥院♥呢
is one thing, but Washington?
这就好像把在校生送到前线
It’d be a little like sending a schoolboy onto the front line.
你是这样想的
You think so?
我愿意替你出钱
I’m willing to pay for you to
从现在开始雇最好的律师
have the finest representation from this point on.
我想推荐的人之于艺术品归还案件
The man I have in mind is to art restitution
就好像…爱因斯坦之于相对论
what… Einstein is to relativity.
他已经研究过你的案子了
He’s done his homework on your case.
可以说他业务熟练
Let’s say he knows his stuff.
我可以让他打给你吗
Can I ask him to call you?
你可以让他走开点
You can ask him to take a hike.
我还是坚持选我的在校生 兰黛先生
I’m sticking with my schoolboy, Mr. Lauder.
这是最终决议
That’s final.
被告数次尝试
The repeated attem-attempts
让此案件被驳回…
to have this case dismissed by the…
不过是…
by the defense has been nothing…
亲爱的 我们需要把多娜
Honey, we need to take Dora
送到你妈妈那里 然后再去医院
to your mother’s and then go to the hospital.
我的声音要不要再低沉点儿
Should I go deeper with the voice?
亲爱的 我的羊水破了
Sweetie, my water broke.
-低沉点儿…你说什么 -我羊水破了
-Deeper with the voice… What? -My water just broke.
噢 冷静 冷静点好么
Okay, just stay calm, just stay calm.
-你还好么 -亲爱的 我很好
-Are you okay? -Honey, I’m fine.
-你马上就要生了 -我意识到了
-You’re having a baby right now. -I’m aware of that.
我觉得你在最高法♥院♥
Okay, I think you should wear
应该穿这件衬衣 打这条领带
this tie and this shirt to the Supreme Court.