What are you thinking?
哦 就是一些
Oh, just some…
想法
…idea.
什么想法
What idea?
唔 多年来 哲学的中心一直是
Well, for many years at the center of philosophy
一幅孤独的人类灵魂思索其个人经验的图像
was a picture of the lonely human soul brooding over its private experiences.
是啊 大家都知道
Yeah, everyone knows that.
这个灵魂被他自己的肉体所囚禁
This soul is a prisoner of his own body,
被身体的躯壳锁住 无法与外界接触
and he’s locked out from contact with others by the walls of their bodies.
我想摆脱这副图像
I wanted to get rid of this picture.
没有任何私人含义
There is no private meaning.
我们之所以是我们
We are what we are only because
只是因为我们有共同的语言和共同的生活形式
we share a common language and common forms of life.
你明白我在说什么嘛
Do you understand what I’m saying?
是的
Yes.
是的 我很乐意 是的 星期三
Yes, I’d like that very much. Yes, Wednesday.
哦 你方便吗 我没问题 是的
Oh, does that suit you? It suits me fine, yes.
是的 我也这么想 是的 他确实是 真的吗
Yes. I thought so, yes. Yes, he was. Really?
哦 伯蒂 是的 我知道 是的 没错
Oh, Bertie? Yes, I know, yes, yes.
很多年了 是的
For many years, yes.
老天
Christ!
教授 你曾说过《逻辑哲学论》已经解决了所有的哲学问题
Professor, you once said the Tractatus had solved all the problems of philosophy.
是的 我那时是这么想的
Yes. So I thought at the time.
我的意思是 我曾经试图
What I meant was that I tried to show the sort of things
把哲学中可以说的事情说给你们看 但是那些都不重要
that philosophy could say, and these aren’t really important.
真正重要的 是那些哲学没办法言说的事情
What’s much more important is all the things it can’t articulate.
哲学还没那么好
Doesn’t cut the mustard, philosophy?
你是这么想的 – 没错
You think. – That’s right.
我当时是这么想的
So I thought at the time.
事实上 我仍然这么认为 但是原因不同了
In fact, I still think so, but for different reasons.
谈谈您近期的成果吧
Now, talking about your more recent work,
《哲学研究》等
the Philosophical Investigations and so on.
没错 在这本书里
That’s right. In this later work
我摒弃了语言是一种图像的观点
I abandoned the idea that language is a sort of picture.
那只是一种有误导性的比喻
That’s just a misleading metaphor.
比如 你可以说“手提包”这个词就是一幅手提包的图像
I mean, you might say that the word “handbag” is a picture of a handbag.
但是 像“你好” “可能” “哦 该死” 这样的词呢
But what about words like “hello”, “perhaps”, “oh, hell”?
这些词为我们描述了怎样的图像
What do they give us a picture of?
那么 您现在如何定义
So how would you now define the relationship
语言和世界之间的关系呢
between language and the world?
哦 有很多种方式
Oh, in lots of different ways. My mistake had been to think
我的错误就是认为只有一种方式
that there was only one way of talking at stake here.
我逐渐意识到
I came to see that there are
语言与多种不同的事有关
lots of different things we do with language.
我称之为不同的语言游戏
Different language games, as I call them.
词语的意义只不过是其在特定的语言游戏中的使用方式
And the meaning of the word is just the way it’s used in a particular language game.
那您现在认为哲学的任务是什么呢
And what do you now believe the task of philosophy to be?
哲学难题的出现
Philosophical puzzles arise because we tend
正是因为我们试图将多个语言游戏混杂在一起
to mix up one language game with another.
比如 人们为一种他们称之为“灵魂”的事物的本质而困惑不解
For example, people puzzle over the nature of something they call the “soul”.
但这可能只是因为
But this may just be because they’re thinking
他们把灵魂作为一个物体来看待
of the soul along the lines of a physical object.
他们混淆了不同的说话方式
They’re confusing one way of talking with another.
哲学的任务就是理清这些语言游戏吗
The job of philosophy is to sort out these language games?
没错 语言游戏在各自的类别中都是完美的
Exactly. They’re all perfectly in order as they are.
哲学绝不能质疑它们
Philosophy in no sense can question them.
哲学让一切事物保持原样
Philosophy leaves everything exactly as it is.
维特根斯坦教授 您的论点
Professor Wittgenstein, you’ve been associated with the argument
即不存在私人语言
that there can’t be a private language.
可以再解释一下吗 – 我的意思是
Could you explain this a little? – What I mean is this.
我们学习使用词语 是因为我们属于一种文化
We learn to use words, because we belong to a culture.
一种生活形式 一种特定的行事方式
A form of life. A practical way of doing things.
最终 我们言行合一 是因为我们的行为
In the end, we speak as we do, because of what we do.
而所有这一切完全是公共的
And all this is a properly public affair.
继承笛卡尔传统的哲学家
Philosophers in the tradition of Descartes
从孤独的自我出发 思索其私密感受
start from the lonely self, brooding over its private sensations.
我想要推♥翻♥这个沿袭了数个世纪的模型
I want to overturn this centuries-old model.
我想从我们的文化出发 从我们共享的实际生活出发
I want to start from our culture, our shared practical life together,
看看我们的所思所感
and look at what we think and feel,
并用这些公共措辞表达出来
and say it in these public terms.
教授 非常感谢
Professor, thank you very much.
我在考虑离开这里
I’m thinking of going away.
怎么又来了 路德维希 你一辈子都在逃避
Not again, Ludwig. You’ve spent your entire life running away.
我是认真的 梅纳德
I’m serious, Maynard.
这次去哪里 挪威?维也纳?
Where to this time? Norway? Vienna?
斯旺西?
Swansea?
不会又是苏联吧
Not the Soviet Union again?
苏联怎么了 – 那就是一个巨大的劳♥改♥营
What’s wrong with the Soviet Union? – The place is one enormous labor camp.
劳动有什么错
There’s nothing wrong with labor.
不干活的话 就会挨枪子的
There is if they shoot you for not doing it.
我不想再教哲学了 专心写书
I want to give up teaching philosophy and concentrate on my book.
为什么不在剑桥写呢 还有报酬拿
Why not do it in Cambridge, and be paid?
我打算去爱尔兰 在海边生活
I’m going to Ireland to live by the sea.
在爱尔兰 如果你工作 就会挨枪子
In Ireland they shoot you if you work.
哎 路德维希
Oh, Ludwig.
我知道 我是个彻头彻尾的灾难
I know, I’m a complete bloody disaster.
我们都爱你
We love you.
维特根斯坦博士 – 哦 你来啦 很好
Dr. Wittgenstein. – Oh, you’re here. Good.
终于
At last.
你不可能找到一个更偏远的地方了
You couldn’t have chosen a more remote place.
你的书怎么样了 – 进展缓慢
Well, how’s the work on your book? – Creeping along.
这说明你写出了一部杰作
That means you’ve penned a masterpiece.
医生有什么消息吗
What’s the news from the doctor?
不太好 我很害怕 – 希望不严重
It’s not good, I’m afraid. – I hope it’s not anything serious.
上周 都柏林的一个专家给我看了看
Last week I saw a specialist in Dublin.
我得了前列腺癌
I have cancer of the prostate.
太遗憾了 – 是啊
Oh, I’m sorry. – Yeah…
在早期阶段 激素治疗的效果不错
It responds well to hormone treatment at early stages.
有什么我能做的吗 – 别以为我怕死
Well, is there anything I can do? – Don’t think I’m afraid of dying.
死亡赋予生活以意义和形态
It’s death that gives life its meaning and shape.
你可以带我回剑桥 我不想死在这里
You can take me back to Cambridge. I don’t want to die here.
任何时候都可以
Any time you like.
你知道吗
You know,
我很想写一本完全由笑话构成的
I’d quite like to have composed a philosophical work
哲学著作
which consisted entirely of jokes.
那怎么没写呢
Why didn’t you?
很遗憾 我没什么幽默感
Sadly, I didn’t have a sense of humor.
我给你讲一个小故事吧
Let me tell you a little story.
曾经有个年轻人 他想把世界简化到纯粹的逻辑里
“There was once a young man who dreamed of reducing the world to pure logic.
因为他非常聪明 也确实做到了
“Because he was a very clever young man, he actually managed to do it.
他在完成时 回首看着 欣赏着
“When he’d finished his work, he stood back and admired it.
一个非常美丽
“It was beautiful.
摒除了不完美和不确定的新世界
“A world purged of imperfection and indeterminacy.
像闪耀的冰面无边无际地延伸到天边
“Countless acres of gleaming ice stretching to the horizon.
那个聪明的年轻人环视他所创造的世界
“So the clever young man looked around
决定探索它
“the world he’d created and decided to explore it.
可是当他向前迈出第一步 就立即摔倒了
“He took one step forward and fell flat on his back.
你看 他忘了摩擦力
“You see, he’d forgotten about friction.
冰面平坦光滑 洁净无瑕
“The ice was smooth and level and stainless.
但是人无法在上面行走
“But you couldn’t walk there.
聪明的年轻人坐在那里不禁流下心碎的眼泪
“So the clever young man sat down and wept bitter tears.
当他成长为一个智慧的老人时
“But as he grew into a wise old man,
他开始理解粗糙和混沌并不是缺陷
“he came to understand that roughness and ambiguity aren’t imperfections,
世界就是因此而运转
“they’re what make the world turn.
他想奔跑舞蹈
“He wanted to run and dance.
顿时语言失去光泽 模糊不清
“And the words and things scattered upon the ground
世界支离破碎 散落一地
“were all battered and tarnished and ambiguous.
智慧的老人知道这就是事物的本来面目
“The wise old man saw that that was the way things were.
但在他的内心依然怀念着那纯净的世界
“But something in him was still homesick for the ice,
那里的一切闪耀着纯粹的光芒
“where everything was radiant and absolute and relentless.
虽然他甚至已经日渐喜欢那坑坑洼洼的地面