没有
– Do you smoke?abc- No.
– 抽烟吗? – 不抽
– Ethanol.abc- I beg your pardon?
– 乙醇类呢?abc- 抱歉?
Alcohol.
酒类
– Ethanol. Yes, I drink wine.abc- How much, how often?
– 乙醇,有,我喝酒abc- 喝多少?多久喝一次?
A glass, with dinner, occasionally,abcand perhaps a scotch every now and then.
偶尔晚餐后会喝一杯,有时候会喝一些威士忌
– Do you use any substances?abc- Such as?
– 有使用药物吗?abc- 例如呢?
Marijuana, cocaine, crack cocaine,abcPCP, ecstasy, poppers…
大♥麻♥、可♥卡♥因♥、快克abc天使尘、快乐丸、拍勃…
No.
没有
– Do you drink caffeinated beverages?abc- Yes.
– 常喝含咖♥啡♥因♥饮料吗?abc- 有
– Which ones?abc- Coffee, a few cups a day.
– 哪一种?abc- 咖啡,一天喝几杯
– How many?abc- Two to six.
– 多少杯?abc- 二…至六杯吧
But I don’t think that’s immoderate.
但我觉得应该不算多吧
How often do you haveabcroutine medical checkups?
多久做一次例行健康检查呢?
Not as often as I should probably,abcbut I’ve felt fine, I really have.
不大常做abc但我一直都觉得还好
– So, the answer is?abc- Every three to five years.
– 那次数是…?abc- 三到五年做一次吧
What do you do for exercise?
从事什麽运动呢?
Pace.
散步
– Are you having sexual relations?abc- Not at the moment.
– 有过性关係吗?abc- 目前没有
– Are you pre or post-menopausal?abc- Post.
– 过了更年期没有?abc- 过了
– When did your periods stop?abc- About two years ago.
– 月经什麽时候停止的?abc- 大约两年前
Okay.
好的
When did you first noticeabcyour present complaint?
你大概什麽时候发现徵兆的?
– This time, now?abc- Yes.
– 这次癌症吗?abc- 是的
About four months ago, I felt a painabcin my stomach, in my abdomen…
大约四个月前abc我开始觉得胃痛,在腹部
…like a cramp, but not the same.
像是抽筋,又不大一样
– How did it feel?abc- Like a cramp.
– 感觉如何?abc- 像是抽筋
– But not the same?abc- Duller and stronger, I can’t describe it.
– 但不一样?abc- 不明显,有时又很强烈,我不会形容
– What happened next?abc- I don’t know…
– 接下来呢?abc- 我不知道
…I started noticing my body, little things.abcI would be teaching and feel a sharp pain.
然后我会开始注意身体一些小变化abc我还是照常教书,偶而会感到剧痛
What kind of pain?
哪一种疼痛
Sharp…
剧痛
…and sudden.
很突然的
Then it would go away,abcor, I would be tired…
然后又消失了abc我常常会觉得很疲惫
Exhausted. I was workingabcon a major project…
非常累,因为我手边有个案子
…the article on John Donne…
我正帮牛津英国文学百科全书
…for the Oxford Encyclopediaabcof English Literature.
写一篇关于约翰道恩的评论
It was a great honor,abcbut I had a very strict deadline.
虽然这很荣幸abc但我有很严格的拖稿时间
– Were you under stress?abc- It wasn’t much more stress than usual…
– 这麽说你承受很大的压力了abc- 也不会比平常大多少
…I just couldn’t withstand it this time.
但这次我就是承受不住abc我也不知道
So…
然后呢?
I went to see Dr. Chin, my gynecologist,abcafter I’d turned in the article.
拖稿之后我就去找妇产科的秦医生abc告诉他我的情况
She examined me,abcsent me to Jefferson, the internist…
她检查一下后就把我abc转给内科的杰佛逊医师
…who sent me to Kelekianabcbecause he thought I might have a tumor.
他随后又把我转给柯医师abc他认为我可能长了肿瘤
– And that’s it.abc- Till now.
– 就这样?abc- 到目前为止
That’s very interesting.
很好
I guess we’ll start the exam.
那我们就开始检查吧
Why don’t you just sort of lie backabcand relax.
那麽你先躺下来,放轻鬆点
Won’t take a minute.
一下就好了
Let me get this sheet.
盖上这床单
Here.
就这样,好了
Okay.
Yeah, just…
对了
Feet in the stirrups here.
请把脚放在脚蹬上
Okay.
好了
Okay.
好了
Could you just… yeah.
麻烦你…
There. Okay.
就这样
Good, okay.
好,很好
Okay.
好了
I’ve got to go get Susie.
对了,我去叫苏西
I’ve got to have a girl here,abcsome crazy, clinical rule.
必须要有女性在旁边abc医院的老规矩
Don’t move, I’ll be right back.
别动,我马上回来
苏西
I wish I had given him an A.
我应该给他“甲”的
苏西
Two times one is two.abcTwo times two is four.
二一得二,二二得四
Two times three is six.
二三得…六
“Death be not proud
“死亡不是件荣耀”
“Though some have called theeabcmighty and dreadful
“虽然人们视你为abc敬畏可怕的象徵”
“For, thou art not so
“但你完全不是如此”
“For, those whom thou think’st,abcthou dost overthrow
“因为,那些视你为天敌者abc并未逝去”
“Die not, poor death
“可悲的死亡啊abc你将永不能奈我何”
“Nor yet canst thou kill me”
Has anybody seen Susie?
有人看到苏西吗?
怎麽回事
“One short sleep past
“我虽只有短暂的一眠abc醒来却已然成就永生”
“We wake eternally
“And death shall be no more,”…
“死亡将不复有”
…comma.
…逗点
“Death thou shalt die”
“死亡将永远消失”
Okay, here’s everything.
好了,准备好了
– Why did you leave her like this?abc- I had to find you, now come on.
– 你怎麽把她弄成这样abc- 我急著找你啊,来吧
We’re ready, Prof. Bearing.
准备好了,贝宁小姐
Just get this on.
涂上这个
All right.
好了
Just get this up.
将它掀开
Just relax.
放轻鬆
Okay.
很好
Isn’t that interesting, Susie,abcthat I had Prof. Bearing?
我恰好修过贝宁教授的课abc苏西,很有趣吧
Yeah. I wish I had taken some literature.
真希望我也能修一些文学
I don’t know anything about poetry.
关于诗我简直一窍不通
Prof. Bearing wasabchighly regarded on campus.
贝宁教授在学校评价很高
Her course looked very goodabcon my transcript.
所以成绩单上abc显示修过她的课是很难得的
They even asked me about itabcin my interview to medical school.
甚至在进医学院面谈时abc还有人问我关于这门课的事
– Jesus.abc- What?
– 天啊abc- 怎麽了?
What?
怎麽了?
Yeah, I survived Bearing’s course.abcYeah, no problem.
不敢相信我修过贝宁教授的课
Yeah, John Donne,abcthose metaphysical poets?
约翰道恩abc那些抽象派的诗人
That metaphysical wit.abcHardest poetry in the English department.
那些抽象式的机趣,那算英文领域中最难懂的诗了
Like to see them try biochemistry.
真希望他们也试试修个生化课
Okay.
好了
We’re almost done, all right. Yeah, okay.
快好了,很好
That’s it, we’re done.
好了,完成了
I gotta go.
我先走了
Take her feet out. Yeah.
记得她的脚…
Thank you.
谢谢
I’m just gonna…
那真的是…
That was…
真是…
…hard.
很难受
That was…
真的是…
One thing that can be said…
关于这为期八个月的癌症疗程
…for an eight-month courseabcof cancer treatment:
It is highly educational.
真的是极富教育性
I am learning to suffer.
我学会了如何去承受一切病痛
Yes, it is mildly uncomfortableabcto have an electrocardiogram, but…
照心电图或许会有点不舒服
…the agony of a colonoscopyabcsweeps it from memory.
但比起照内视镜abc可能就算是种享受了
Yes, it was embarrassingabcto have to wear a nightgown all day long.
整天穿著一件睡衣abc还真有点难为情
Two nightgowns.
是两件
But that seemed like a positive privilegeabccompared to watching myself go bald.
但比起自己变成光头abc这似乎又光荣了许多
Yes, having a former studentabcgive me a pelvic exam…
让从前的学生abc为自已做骨盘腔检查
…was thoroughly…
真的很…
…degrading.
…可耻
And I use the term deliberately.
我是故意用这字的
But…
但…
…I could not have imaginedabcthe depths of humiliation…
这可能还不是最丢人的事吧
Oh, God.
天啊
Please…
天啊
Steady.
慢慢地
Steady.
慢慢地
Oh, God.
天啊
What’s left?
还有什麽…
I haven’t eaten in two days.
我已经两天没进食了
What’s left to puke?
还有什麽能吐的