这并非个人好恶
…but because Helen Gardner is a scholar.
而是因为abc海伦盖纳是个真正的学者
It reads:
所以应该读成
“And death shall be no more,” comma…
“而死亡将不复有,”逗号♥
…”Death thou shalt die. ”
“而死亡你将从此真正死去”
Nothing but a breath, a comma…
一个语气的停顿,或一个逗点
…separates life from life everlasting.
把生命和永生两个概念区隔开
Very simple, really.
很容易,真的
With the original punctuation restored,abcdeath is no longer something…
若恢复原来的标点,“死亡”就不需
…to act out on a stageabcwith exclamation marks.
煞有其事加上惊叹号♥了
It is a comma. A pause.
重点在于逗点和语气停顿
In this way, the uncompromising way…
这就是读诗的不能妥协之处
…one learns somethingabcfrom the poem, wouldn’t you say?
Life, death, soul, God…
你说是吧
生命、死亡、灵魂、上帝
…past, present.
过去和现在
Not insuperable barriers.
并非无法跨越之障碍
Not semicolons.
并非用分号♥来连接
Just a comma.
而是用逗点
Life, death, I see.
生命…死亡,我懂了
It’s a metaphysical conceit, it’s wit.
它是种抽象的概念abc它是种机趣
– I’ll go back to the library…abc- It is not wit, Miss Bearing, it is truth.
– 我再去图书馆查查…abc- 这不是机趣,贝宁 这是真理
The paper’s not the point.
重要的不是报告
Isn’t it?
是吗
Vivian, you’re a bright young woman.
薇薇安,你很聪明的
Use your intelligence.
多运用你的智慧
Don’t go back to the library, go out.
不要去图书馆,到外头多看看
Enjoy yourself with friends.
多花时间和朋友们相处,好吗
I went outside.
我到了外面去
It was a warm day.
天气很暖和
There were students on the lawnabctalking about nothing, laughing.
草地上到处是学生
全都有说有笑的
Simple human truth.
一种简单的人类真理
Uncompromising scholarly standards.
不妥协的治学态度
They’re connected.
相互关联
I just couldn’t…
我就是无法…
I went back to the library.
我又回图书馆去了
Anyway…
随它吧
All right.
好吧
“Significant contribution to knowledge. ”
“对人类知识卓越的贡献”
“Eight cycles of chemotherapy. ”
八个化学疗程
Give me the full dose.
给我全剂量好了
The full dose every time.
全剂量,每一次
The attention was flattering…
受人注意还真不错
…for the first five minutes.
刚开始五分钟而已
– Name?abc- My name?
– 姓名 – 我的姓名?
Vivian Bearing.
薇薇安贝宁
什麽
Bearing. B-e-a-r-i-n-g.
贝宁,B-E-A-R-I-N-G
Vivian. V-i-v-i-a-n.
薇薇安,V-I-V-I-A-N
– Doctor?abc- Yes, I have a Ph. D.
– Doctor(博士)?abc- 是的,我是文学博士
Your doctor?
我问的是你的医生
Dr. Harvey Kelekian.
哈威柯医生
I am a doctor of philosophy.
我是文学博士
Take a deep breath and hold it.
深呼吸,憋气
Okay.
很好
A scholar of 17th century poetry.
研究十七世纪英诗的学者
Arms above your head, and hold it.
双手高举过头
Okay.
很好
I have made an immeasurable contributionabcto the discipline of English literature.
我对英国文学的教学方法abc有卓越的贡献
I am, in short, a force.
简单地说,我佔有一席之地
Okay, that’s it.
好,就这样
Name?
名字
Lucy, Countess of Bedford.
露西,贝佛德郡的女伯爵
– I don’t see it here.abc- My name is Vivian Bearing.
– 我找不到abc- 我叫薇薇安贝宁
B- e-a-r-i-n-g. Dr. Kelekian is my doctor.
B-E-A-R-I-N-G,克裡奇安是我的医生
Okay, lie down.
请躺下
After an astounding undergraduate career…
在表现优异的大学生涯后
…I studied for three yearsabcwith Prof. E.M. Ashford…
我跟著爱丝佛教授研究了三年
…during which I learnedabcby instruction and example…
在这期间我见识到abc如何才能成为有名的学者
…what it means to beabca scholar of distinction.
身为研究生
As a research Fellow, my principal task…
我的职责就是…
…was the alphabetizing of index cardsabcfor Ashford’s monumental critical edition…
负责为她那本巨作编排索引卡
…of Donne’sabcDevotions Upon Emergent Occasions.
叫做“道恩的作品层观”
I am thanked in the preface.
在它的序文中有提到我
“Miss Vivian Bearing,abcfor her able assistance. ”
“感谢贝宁小姐的热心相助”
Thank you.
谢谢
Where’s your wheelchair?
你的轮椅呢
I do not know. I was busy, just now.
我不知道,我…在忙
How you gonna get outta here?
那你怎麽离开这儿呢
– I could walk.abc- It’s not permitted.
– 我可以用走的abc- 这是不允许的
I do not know,abcperhaps you would like me to stay?
我不知道abc不然我可以留下来
I guess I gotta go find you a chair.
我去帮你找一张好了
Don’t inconvenience yourself on my behalf.
别为我这麽麻烦了
Miss Bearing, this is Jason Posner.
贝宁,这位是杰森波斯纳
He’s gonna do your medical historyabcand ask you a few questions.
他要做病历纪录和问一些问题
He’s Dr. Kelekian’s Fellow.
他是柯医生的助理医师
I’m Dr. Posner, clinical Fellowabcat the medical oncology branch…
贝宁教授,我是波斯纳医生abc肿瘤科的助理医师
…working with Dr. Kelekian.
跟著柯医生见习
Sit over here, please.
请坐这儿
Prof. Bearing,abcI was a student at the university.
贝宁教授,大学时候…
– Took your course in 17th century poetry.abc- Did you?
– 我修过你的十七世纪英诗abc- 真的?
Yes, I thought it was excellent.
是的,那课真的很棒
Thank you.
谢谢
– Were you an English major?abc- No, biochemistry.
– 你是主修英文吗?abc- 不,生物化学
You can’t get into med schoolabcunless you’re well-rounded.
但要进入医学院abc必须要各方面都表现优异
I bet with myself I could get an Aabcin the three hardest courses.
我跟我自己打赌我一定能在abc这三门最难的课都拿到“甲”
How’d you do?
你表现得如何呢?
– Success.abc- Really?
– 真的?很不错abc- 真的?
A- minus. It was a very tough course.
甲下,那课真得很难
– Yeah, I’ll call you.abc- Okay.
– 我待会儿再叫你abc- 好的
I’ll just wheel this over.
先把这移过来
Okay, I’m going to be taking your history…
好,现在我要先瞭解你的背景
…which is a medical interview,abcand then I give you an exam.
作为就医报告abc然后再开始检查
I believe Dr. Kelekianabchas already done that.
我记得abc柯医生之前已做过了
I know, but Dr. Kelekianabcwanted me to do one too.
我知道,但他要我再做一次
Very well.
很好
Okay, let’s just get started.
好,开始吧
– How are you feeling today?abc- Fine, thank you.
– 你今天感觉好吗?abc- 很好,谢谢
– And how’s your general health?abc- Fine.
– 不错,那大致上的身体状况呢?abc- 很好
Good.
很好
– We know that you’re an academic.abc- Yes, we’ve established that.
– 我知道你是个学者abc- 我们刚刚谈过了
– So we don’t need to talk about your work.abc- No.
– 那我就不多问你的工作方面了abc- 好的
– How old are you?abc- 48.
– 今年贵庚?abc- 48岁
– Are you married?abc- No.
– 结婚了吗? – 还没
– Are your parents living?abc- No.
– 父母亲健在吗?abc- 都不在了
How and when did they die?
请问他们过世的原因和年纪?
My father, suddenly,abcof a heart attack when I was 21.
我父亲在我 21 岁时abc因心脏病发过世
My mother, slowly, when I was 41 or 42.abcOf breast cancer.
我母亲,在我41、42岁时abc罹患了乳癌而过世
– Cancer?abc- Breast cancer.
– 癌症?abc- 对,乳癌
– I see. Any siblings?abc- No.
– 瞭解,有兄弟姐妹吗?abc- 没有
And now your past medical history.
接下来我要问问你过去的病史
– Have you ever been hospitalized?abc- I had my tonsils out when I was eight.
– 你曾经住院过吗?abc- 有,我八岁时割过扁桃腺
– Have you ever been pregnant?abc- No.
– 怀孕过吗?abc- 没有
– Heart murmurs?abc- No.
– 心脏毛病? – 没有
– High blood pressure?abc- No.
– 高血压? – 没有
– Venereal diseases, uterine infections…abc- No.
– 得过性病或子♥宫♥感染?abc- 没有
– Thyroid, diabetes, cancer…abc- No. Cancer, yes.
– 甲状腺炎、糖尿病或癌症?abc- 没有,癌症…有
– When?abc- Now.
– 什麽时候?abc- 现在
– Not including now.abc- In that case, no.
– 不包括现在abc- 那没有
Okay.

Clinical depression, nervous breakdown,abcsuicide attempts…
有任何沮丧、焦虑abc或自杀意念吗?
No.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!