主演:艾玛汤普逊
片名:心灵病房♥
You have cancer.
你得了癌症
Miss Bearing, you haveabcadvanced metastatic ovarian cancer.
贝宁小姐abc你罹患了中末期移转性卵巢癌
Go on.
继续
– You are a professor, Miss Bearing.abc- Like yourself, Dr. Kelekian.
你是教授吧,贝宁小姐
和你一样,柯医生
Why, yes.
是啊
Now then, you present with a growthabcthat unfortunately went undetected…
很不幸的abc第一、二、三♥期♥都未能发现到
…in stages one, two, and three.
– Now it is an insidious adenocarcinoma…abc- Insidious?
它是属于潜藏性的癌症
潜藏性?
Insidious means undetectable at an early…
潜藏性就是早期很难发现到
Insidious means treacherous.
潜藏性也是阴险的意思
– Shall I continue?abc- By all means.
可以继续吗
Good.
当然
In invasive epithelial carcinoma…
很好
对于这类的表皮细胞癌症
…the most effective treatment modalityabcis a chemotherapeutic agent.
最有效的就是化学药剂治疗
We are developingabcan experimental combination of drugs…
我们针对这类本身abc为发病源的卵巢癌
…designed for primary-site ovarian,abcfor the target specificity of stage three…
研发了实验性综合药剂
以利第三♥期♥或之后的病源掌握
…and beyond administration.
Am I going too fast?
我会说太快吗
No.
不会 很好
You will be hospitalizedabcas an in-patient for treatment each cycle.
你将会被安排住院abc接受每个疗程
After the initial eight cycles,abcyou will have another battery of tests.
经过最初的八个疗程后abc还需要接受一连串的测试
The antineoplastic will inevitablyabcaffect some healthy cells…
这些抗癌药物难免会abc波及到正常的细胞
…including those liningabcthe gastrointestinal tract…
包括肠胃器官、嘴巴到肛♥门♥abc以及头髮毛囊
…from the lips to the anus,abcand the hair follicles.
We will be relying on your resolve…
当然主要还是要取决于abc你对副作用的承受力
…to withstand some of the moreabcpernicious side effects.
贝宁小姐
I beg your pardon.
对不起
– Do you have any questions so far?abc- Please, go on.
– 到目前为止有疑问吗abc- 请继续
– Perhaps some of these terms are new…abc- No, you’re being very thorough.
– 或许其中有些字 对你来说比较陌生…abc- 不,不会 你说的很详尽
I make a point of it.abcI always emphasize it with my students.
我很重视这点abc也总是跟我学生再三地强调
So do I. Thoroughness,abcI always tell my students…
我也是,精确详尽abc我总是这样要求我学生
…but, they are constitutionallyabcaverse to painstaking work.
他们却很讨厌繁琐複杂的事
– Yours too.abc- It’s worse every year.
– 你学生也是这样吗abc- 一年比一年还糟
– Mine are blind.abc- Mine are deaf.
– 我学生就像瞎子一样abc- 我的则好像聋子
– You just have to hope.abc- I suppose so.
– 你也只能奢望了abc- 我想也是
Where were we?
我们说到哪儿了,贝宁小姐
I believe I was being thoroughly diagnosed.
我被精确又详尽地诊断过
Right.
没错
Now, the tumor is spreading very quickly.
现在癌细胞扩散得很快
And this treatment is very aggressive.
而且这些疗程药效也很强
– So far, so good?abc- Yes.
– 目前为止还好吗?abc- 是的
– Better not teach next semester.abc- Out of the question.
– 下学期最好别教书了abc- 不可能的
The first week of each cycleabcyou’ll be hospitalized for chemotherapy.
每个疗程的第一个星期abc你会被安排住院接受化疗
The next week you may feel a little tired.
第二个星期abc你可能会感到有些疲惫
– The next two will be fine, relatively.abc- Eight months like that.
– 再下一个星期会比较好一些abc- 八个月都像这样?
This treatment is the strongest thingabcwe have to offer you.
这个疗程是最强烈的
And as research it’ll make a significantabccontribution to our knowledge.
它也是个研究abc而且将会对人类知识有所贡献
Knowledge. Yes.
人类知识,很好
Here is the informed consent form.
这裡是同意书
Should you agree,abcyou sign there, at the bottom.
如果你同意,就在下面签个名
Is there a family memberabcyou want me to explain this to?
你有任何家属需要我abc解释给他们听的吗
That won’t be necessary.
不需要了
Good.

The important thing is for you to takeabcthe full dose of chemotherapy.
最重要的是abc你必须服用全剂量的药
There may be times when you wishabcfor a lesser dose, due to the side effects.
你可能会因为副作用abc而希望减少剂量
But we’ve got to go full force.
但我们还是必须全剂量去执行
– Dr. Bearing?abc- Yes.
– 贝宁小姐abc- 是的
You must be very tough.
你必须要非常坚强
Do you think you can be very tough?
你觉得你够坚强吗?
You needn’t worry.
你不必担心
Good.
很好
Excellent.
非常好
I should have asked more questions.
我应该多问些问题的
Because I knewabcthere was going to be a test.
因为这可是项大测试
– Hi, how you feeling today?abc- Fine.
– 你好吗?abc- 很好
Great. That’s just great.
好,很好
This is not my standard greeting,abcI assure you.
这不是我一般打招呼的方式
I tend toward somethingabca little more formal…
我会比较正式一点
…a little less inquisitive.
比较不那麽好管閒事
Such as, say, “Hello. ”
像是说声“嗨”而已
But it is the standard greeting here,abcso I just say, “Fine. ”
但这裡的习惯就是那样,我也只能跟著说“很好”
Of course, it is not very oftenabcthat I do feel fine.
事实上我很少有abc觉得很好的时候
I’ve been asked, “How are you feeling?”abcWhile throwing up into a plastic washbasin.
有时我狂吐了一番后abc还有人问我“你今天好吗”
I have been asked…
甚至在历经四个种头手术abc全身插满管子时
…as I was emergingabcfrom a four-hour operation…
…with a tube in every orifice:
“How are you feeling today?”
还有人问我“你今天好吗”
I’m waiting for the moment whenabcI’m asked this question and I’m dead.
真希望下次有人问我这问题时abc我已经远离人世了
I’m a little sorry I’ll miss that.
我想我会很遗憾错过这一幕吧
I have cancer.
我得了癌症
Insidious cancer,abcwith pernicious side effects.
潜藏性癌症,还有很严重的副作用
No, the treatmentabchas pernicious side effects.
不,是治疗有严重的副作用
I have stage fourabcmetastatic ovarian cancer.
我得了第四期的『移转性卵巢癌』
There is no stage five.
没有第五期了
And I have to be very tough.
而且我必须很坚强
It appears to be a matter,abcas the saying goes…
很明显地,套句话说
…of life and death.
这是件生死攸关的事
I know all about life and death.
我算是满瞭解生与死的
I am, after all,abca professor of 17th century poetry…
我是一位abc研究十七世纪英国诗的教授
…specializing inabcthe “Holy Sonnets” of John Donne…
尤其是约翰道恩的abc十四行圣诗
…which explore mortalityabcin greater depth…
对于永生的概念比起其他文体abc探讨地都还要深入
…than any body of workabcin the English language.
And I know for a fact that I am tough.
而且我确信我够坚强
A demanding professor.
我是执著苛求的教授abc不容妥协
Uncompromising.
Never one to turn from a challenge.
不轻易放弃挑战
That is why I chose to study John Donne…
这也是我选择abc研究约翰道恩的原因
…while a studentabcof the great E.M. Ashford.
并同时受教于爱丝佛教授
Oh, yes.
对了
Your essay on “Holy Sonnet VI” Miss Bearing…
你那篇关于第六首圣诗的报告abc似乎有点离谱
…is a melodrama with a veneerabcof scholarship unworthy of you…
你不应该会写出这样的报告abc完全没把握住重点
…to say nothing of Donne. Do it again.
拿回去重做
Begin with the text, Miss Bearing,abcnot with a feeling.
噢…..我…
请根据上下文abc而不是你个人的感觉
“Death be not proud
“死亡,不是件荣耀”
“Though some have called theeabcmighty and dreadful, for
“虽然人们视你为abc敬畏可怕的象徵”
“Thou art not so”
“但…你完全不是如此”
You’ve entirely missed the point of the poem…
你完全没抓到整首诗的重点
…because you’ve usedabcan edition of the text…
因为你用了错误的版本abc它的标点断句都是错的
…that is inauthentically punctuated.
根据盖纳的版本…abc但是那版本…
– In the Gardner edition…abc- That edition was checked out…
– Miss Bearing?abc- Sorry.
贝宁 抱歉
You take this too lightly.
你有点太轻忽了
This is metaphysical poetry,abcnot the modern novel.
这是首抽象诗,不是现代小说
The standards of scholarshipabcand critical reading…
光靠自以为是的见解和评论abc有时候是不够的
…which one would apply to any other textabcare simply insufficient.
The effort must be totalabcfor the results to be meaningful.
你的努力要让结果abc显现出价值才有意义
Do you think that the punctuationabcof the last line of this sonnet…
你觉得这首诗最后一行的标点abc没有任何意义吗
…is merely an insignificant detail?
The sonnet begins withabca valiant struggle with death…
这首诗开头是关于abc一位勇者和死亡挣扎的意象
…calling on all the forcesabcof intellect and drama…
…to vanquish the enemy.
凭藉著智慧来战胜它的敌人
But it is ultimately about overcomingabcthe seemingly insuperable barriers…
它的最终寓意是在于跨越那道
…separating life, death and eternal life.
难以跨越的生死和永生的藩蓠
In the edition you chose,abcthis profoundly simple meaning…
而在你所选用的版本裡
…is sacrificed to hysterical punctuation.
这样清楚的寓意abc却被胡乱标点符号♥给牺牲掉了
“And Death” capital D…
“而死亡(Death)…”abc大写的D
…”shall be no more;” semi-colon…
“将不复有;”分号♥
…”Death,” capital D, comma…
“而死亡,”abc大写的D,逗点
…”thou shalt die!”, exclamation mark.
“你将从此真正死去!”abc惊叹号♥
If you go in for this sort of thingabcI suggest you take up Shakespeare.
如果你喜欢这类东西,我建议你可以读一读莎士比亚
Gardner’s edition of the “Holy Sonnets”…
盖纳的版本是根据abc魏斯摩蓝1610的手稿而来
…returns to the Westmorelandabcmanuscript source of 1610.
Not for sentimental reasons, I assure you…

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!