In the old days, the land felt a great emptiness.
很久以前,大地一片孤寂
It was waiting.
她苦苦等待…
Waiting to be filled up.
等待勃勃生机的降临…
Waiting for someone to love it.
等待有人爱她…
Waiting for a leader.
等待领袖的到来
And he came on the back of a whale,
他驾鲸而至…
the man to lead a new people.
来领导一代新人
Our ancestor Paikea.
我们的先人, 派凯亚
But now we were waiting for the firstborn of the new generation.
现在,我们在等待新生代长子的降生…
For the descendant of the whale rider.
鲸骑士的子孙…
For the boy who would be chief.
一个将会成为我们的酋长的男孩
Get the oxygen!
去拿氧气!
Paikea.
派凯亚
There was no gladness when I was born.
我的降生并未带来喜悦
My twin brother died and took our mother with him.
我的双胞胎兄弟死了,同时也带走了我们的母亲
Rawiri.
拉维里
Everyone was waiting for the firstborn boy to lead us.
每个人都期盼着长子来做我们的酋长…
But he died.
但他死了…
And I didn’t.
而我却活了下来
Where’s the boy?
男孩呢?
Son?
儿子
What’s done is done.
木已成舟,认命吧
Come on.
回家去
Come home.
回家吧
Start again.
重新开始
You mean just pretend it didn’t happen?
你是说就当作什么都没有发生吗?
That’s not what I’m saying.
我不是这个意思
You didn’t even look at her, Dad!
你看都不看她,爸爸!
She died.
她死了
Son… No! No! No!
儿子 不,不,不!
Nuh.
不
No, all you want is your boy.
不,你只想要个头胎生的男孩
It’s alright. That’s all you want, isn’t it?
没错 你就只要这个,不是吗?
You can start again. Hey, I’ve got a child.
你可以重新开始 嘿,我已经有个孩子了
Her name’s Paikea.
她的名字是派凯亚
What?
什么?
You heard me.
我说的够明白了
No.
不
Not that name.
不能用这名字
It’s Paikea.
就要派凯亚
No!
不行!
Porourangi.
波鲁朗伊–
Porourangi!
波鲁朗伊
POROURANGI!
波鲁朗伊!
Take her away.
把她带走
I told you to take her away.
我要你把她带走
No. You acknowledge your granddaughter.
不,你得认识一下你的孙女
She likes you.
她喜欢你
He’ll have another child.
他会再生个男孩的
He just lost a child and a wife. Isn’t that enough?
他已经失去了妻子和一个孩子 难道还不够吗?
You give that boy some time. You hear me?
你给他点时间恢复吧,听到没有?
He’ll be back when he’s ready.
他准备好的时候会回来的
Stupid old Paka.
这个老糊涂
You say the word and I’ll get a divorce, bubba.
你再这么说,我就和你离婚
Just say the word.
再说啊
What did he say to her?
他对你说什么了?
Same old story.
还不是老一套
Not good enough for him, is she?
他对她可不怎么样,是吗?
He start that early with me?
他之前也是这样对我的,是吗?
You’re a man. You can handle it.
你是个男人,你应该可以应付的
Here.
给
Better get used to it.
抱抱她,熟悉一下
This one’s going to need someone to look out for her.
得有人来照顾她
Yeah, alright.
好的
My Koro wished in his heart that I’d never been born.
我的爷爷柯洛打心眼里就不希望我出生…
But he changed his mind.
但他改变主意了
There! Hey!
嘿!
You old Paka!
坏老头!
Quick!
快点!
Gee, they were quick.
他们来的好快啊
Must have let them off early.
该早点把烟熄掉
You’ve been smoking.
你们抽烟?
Says you!
你才抽了呢
Maori women have got to stop smoking.
毛利女人不该抽烟
We’ve got to protect our child-bearing properties.
我们必须保护我们的生育能力
Are youse coming to the concert?
你们来音乐会吗?
We might.
也许吧
I bet she’s got her best gears all laid out on the bed.
我打赌她把她所有好衣服都摆在床上挑选了
My dad’s coming.
我爸爸会来参加的
Better get my flash dress out, then.
哦,是吗?看来我要把最漂亮的衣服拿出来了
How long’s he staying this time?
他这回打算呆多久?5分钟
Five minutes? Longer than that.
比那长点
That’s good, ’cause I blinked and missed him last time.
很好,上次我眨了一下眼睛,他就不见了
What time’s the concert, bub?
音乐会几点开始,孩子?
7:30.
7:30
And don’t be late.
别迟到了
Gee, she’s bossy, that one.
天哪,她真专横
It would have to be smoking in a pretty funny place
看来我们得另找个好地方抽烟
to wreck your child-bearing properties!
来破坏我们的生育能力了
No good to you, you reckon? Shh!
看来你可以退休了,你认为呢? 嘘!
What are they feeding you?
他们给你吃了什么?
You look different.
你看上去有点不一样了
Oh, you do too.
嗯,你也是
You must be growing up.
长大了
Am not.
没有
Sorry I was late.
抱歉,我迟到了
It doesn’t matter. We all stink anyway.
没关系,反正这样也是臭哄哄的
Oh!
哦
Got to look my best for your brother.
我要以最佳状态见你兄弟
Hey, bro.
嘿,兄弟
Rawiri?
拉维里?
Good to see you, mate.
见到你很高兴
Yeah, put on a bit of weight since I saw you last, eh?
你好像胖了点 是的
Yeah. Hey, this is my new lady.
这是我的新女人
Kia-ora. Oh, kia-ora.
Kia Ora, (毛利招呼语,您好) Kia ora.
How many of my sons do you need, girl?
你还想要我另一个儿子吗?
Give us a hand with the food. Make yourself useful.
过来帮把手,别老闲着
You too, Pai. Come on, mate.
你也来, 派 来吧
Let these important guys have their talk, eh?
让这些大人物谈重要的事情
Take your time.
慢慢来,不用急
They’ve been waiting for you.
他们可以等你
Been a while this time, son.
好久不见,儿子
Been away.
去了很远的地方
Didn’t you get any of my postcards?
你没收到我的明信片吗?
Your mother put something on the fridge.
你妈放了几张在冰箱上面
I don’t know what it was. A bridge or something.
是座桥还是什么的
France probably.
也许是在法国
I’ve been spending a bit of time in Germany too.
我在德国也待了不少时间
Like you there, do they?
那里的人喜欢你吗?
Mmm, some of them do.
有些人喜欢
So you’ve been busy, then?
你一直很忙,是吗?
Yeah. Yeah, it’s been good.
是的,是的,很好
You know, I’ve got a gallery interested. Had some good shows.
有间画廊看上了我的作品,我开了几次不错的展览
How about you?
你还好吗?
We’ve been alright.
一直都不错
Well, it’s good to see you, Dad.
很高兴见到你,爸爸
It was my father’s waka.
这是我爸爸没造完的战船…
But after I was born, he didn’t want to carve it anymore.
我出生以后,他就再也不想完工了
He went away.
他离开了
Everybody did.
每个人都是这样