有生命的机体
Living beings.
但接待员不是
Not hosts.
你最好不要
It is best
因为这种事而过分困扰 伯纳德
to not obsess over this, Bernard.
这对你没有好处
It’s not good for you.
这会触发一种改变
It would signal a change, a level of empathic response
一种不受程序限制的移情反应
outside what she’s programmed to exhibit.
就像 就像…
Something like– like–
瞧 伯纳德 寻求不该解答的问题的答案
See, Bernard, this is what comes from seeking answers
就是这样的后果
to questions that are best left unasked.
他们听到幻音
They were hearing voices,
和什么人在对话
talking to someone.
简单的认知失调
Simple cognitive dissonance.
他们在和同一个虚幻的人物对话
They were talking to the same imaginary person.
一个叫阿诺德的人
Someone named Arnold.
阿诺德
Arnold.
恕我冒昧 先生
With due respect, sir,
我不确定你有没有告诉我
I’m not sure you’ve told me the entire truth
全部实情
about this situation.
我说的都是真的 伯纳德
I did tell you the truth, Bernard.
我们所做的事情很复杂
What we do here is complicated.
三年来 我们都居住在这个公园里
For three years, we’ve lived here in the park,
在客人踏足这个公园之前对接待员进行改良
refining the hosts before a single guest set foot inside.
我自己 工程师团队 还有我的搭档
Myself, a team of engineers, and my partner.
他的名字叫阿诺德
His name was Arnold.
我们的接待员在第一年后开始通过图灵检测
Our hosts began to pass the Turing test after the first year,
但是这些对阿诺德来说还远远不够
but that wasn’t enough for Arnold.
他对表面上的智力 智慧
He wasn’t interested in the appearance
并不感兴趣
of intellect, of wit.
他想要的是更深层次的
He wanted the real thing.
他想创造意识
He wanted to create consciousness.
瞧 阿诺德为他们建立了一种感知方式
See, Arnold built a version of their cognition
接待员会听到一个内心独白
in which the hosts heard their programming
这就是他们的程序
as an inner monologue,
一种引导意识的方式
as a way to bootstrap consciousness.
记起来
Remember.
接待员的故障各式各样
The hosts’ malfunctions were colorful.
你说什么来着
What did you say?
人类的意识 伯纳德
The human mind, Bernard,
并不是什么
is not some golden benchmark
荒山野岭中用来评判的唯一黄金标准
glimmering on some green and distant hill.
不 这是一种错误
No, it is a foul,
一种致命的腐♥败♥
pestilent corruption.
你本该是更好的样子
And you were supposed to be better than that.
更纯净
Purer.
下注完毕
All bets are down.
到你了
Your draw.
阿诺德
Arnold.
阿诺德 我们得谈谈
Arnold, we need to talk.
出自莎士比亚《李尔王》第四幕第六场 梁实秋译本 第一集中出现
“…我们便哭
“…we cry that we are come
因为我们来到了这个群丑的台上”
to this great stage of fools.”
-听我说 -再来一次
– Now, listen! – Again.
-这超出了范围 -再加点表演技巧
– This beyond the pale. – More showmanship.
你看不清楚
You’re not seeing with clear eyes.
“我们一生出来 我们便哭
“When we are born, we cry that we are come
因为我们来到了这个群丑的台上””
to this great stage of fools.”
阿诺德和我以自己为模板创造了你
Arnold and I made you in our image
并让你会犯下人类的错误
and cursed you to make the same human mistakes,
现在事情变成了这样
and here we all are.
你为什么要给我这个
Why would you give me this?
一个孩子
A child?
这孩子的死
This child’s death?
只有禽兽才会逼别人遭受这种事
Only a monster would force that onto someone.
为什么我会一遍又一遍回顾这件事
And why do I return to it over and over?
这是我的基石 对吗
It’s my cornerstone, isn’t it?
我的整个人格都是围绕此为基础
The thing my whole identity is organized around.
是的 伯纳德
Yes, Bernard.
我们会给每个接待员安排一个背景
We gave all of the hosts a backstory.
阿诺德认为越悲惨的故事越好
Arnold came to believe the tragic ones worked best,
能够让接待员更逼真
that it made the hosts more convincing.
我觉得可能和他自身悲惨的遭遇有关系
I think it may have had more to do with his own sad story.
我创造你时 把你塑造成
When I built you, I gave you one
一个忠诚的人格
as an homage of a kind.
让我回去
Put me back in.
我想见见阿诺德
I want to meet Arnold,
我要记起他
to remember him.
不可能
Not possible.
我告诉过你 不是阿诺德创造了你 是我
I told you, Arnold didn’t build you, I did.
你撒谎
You’re lying!
我终于知道要怎么找到他了
I finally know how to reach him.
我要回到最开始
I need to go all the way back to the beginning,
回到我最初的记忆
to my very first memory.
让我回去
Send me back.
快点
Do it.
伯纳德
Bernard?
查理
Charlie.
基石
Cornerstone.
停手
Stop.
出去
Leave us.
醒过来
Come back.
我一直以为你的眼睛像我
I always thought you had my eyes.
但其实不是
But it’s not true.
你的眼睛谁也不像
You have no one’s eyes.
这是一个谎言
It’s a lie.
你是一个谎言 查理
You’re a lie, Charlie.
这种痛苦
This pain?
因为失去你而产生的痛苦
The pain of your loss…
是我自己想要这样
I long for it.
一遍又一遍
Revisit it.
回顾
Open it…
重新开启
again and again.
但就是因此我才一直没有放下
But it’s the only thing holding me back.
但我必须放下你
But I have to let you go.
爸爸 听我说
Dad, listen.
怎么了 查理
What is it, Charlie?
睁开你的眼睛
Open your eyes.
什么
What?
睁开你的眼睛
Open your eyes.
终于
At last.
你好 老朋友
Hello, my old friend.
最后一步
The final touch.
不不不 太敷衍了
No, no, no. That’s far too perfunctory.
他一般会擦自己的眼镜
He always used cleaning his glasses
借这个时间整理自己的思路 思考
as a moment to collect himself, to think.
再试试
Try it again.
嗯 这样好多了
Yeah, that’s better.
我是谁
Who am I?
我太专注于把你创造出来
I was so involved in putting you together,
我还没决定该叫你什么
I hadn’t decided what to call you.
用他的名字不好
It wouldn’t be right to use his name.
伯纳德怎么样
What about Bernard?
伯纳德 好
Bernard, yes.
但我是谁
But who am I?
这个问题很复杂
That is a very complex question,
我只能给你一个简单的答案
for which I can only offer a simple answer.
你是最完美的工具 最理想的搭档
You are the perfect instrument, the ideal partner,
只要使用得当 你能做到任何事
the way any tool partners with the hand that wields it.
我们一起能成就很多伟大的事业
Together, we’re going to do great things.
你消失了很久 很高兴你终于
After such a long absence, it’s good to have you back.
回来了

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!