转世只不过是一个
reincarnation is just a–
一种合起来的真实记忆的诗般的表达
a poetic expression of what collective memory really is.
这是我前不久读过的一篇生化学家写的文章,
There was this article by this biochemist that I read not long ago,
他谈到当一个物种诞生时
and he was talking about how when a member of a species is born,
它吸取了十亿年的记忆
it has a billion years of memory to draw on.
这就是我们遗传下来的本能所在
And this is where we inherit our instincts.
我喜欢。 这就像,嗯,
I like that. It’s like there’s, um,
这就是整个心灵感应在起作用 我们也在其中
this whole telepathic thing going on that we’re all a part of,
不论你意识到与否
whether we’re conscious of it or not.
那就可以解释为什么会有这些,你知道
That would explain why there’s all these, you know,
在科学和艺术上表面自发的创新的飞跃,
seemingly spontaneous, worldwide, innovative leaps in science, in the arts.
你知道,就像不同的独♥立♥的地方 会出现同样的结果
You know, like the same results poppin’ up everywhere independent of each other.
比方,一个家伙在电脑上弄出了什么
Some guy on a computer, he figures something out,
几乎与此同时,
and then almost simultaneously, a bunch of other people all over the world…
在世界上的其他一些人也弄出了同样的东西 嗯呵
– figure out the same thing. – Mm-hmm.
有人做了这种研究 他们把一群人分离开并
They did this study. They isolated a group of people over time,
监视着他们做拼字谜游戏
and they monitored their abilities at crossword puzzles…
都是些普通人。
in relation to the general population.
并且他们被秘密的给出了一个古老的字谜,
And then they secretly gave them a day-old crossword,
一个曾经被成千上万的人做过的。
one that had already been answered by thousands of other people.
他们的得分戏剧性的增长了20%.
Their scores went up dramatically, like 20 percent.
就好像答案就在那里似的,
So it’s like once the answers are out there,
你知道,人们会熟悉这些文字。
you know, people can pick up on ’em.
就好像我们心灵感应似的分享了这些经验
It’s like we’re all telepathically sharing our experiences.
如果你这个混帐落到我手里我会整死你
I’ll get you motherfuckers if it’s the last thing I do.
啊,你会对你对我做的一切 付出代价的。
Oh, you’re gonna pay for what you did to me.
为了我在这地狱所度过的每分每秒,
For every second I spend in this hellhole,
我会看着你在活的地狱里度过一年!
I’ll see you spend a year in living hell!
哦,你♥他♥妈♥的将会求我杀了你
Oh, you fucks are gonna beg me to let you die.
哦不,不,还不是时候。
No, no, not yet.
我希望你♥他♥妈♥的遭受痛苦。
I want you cocksuckers to suffer.
哦,我要好好修理你的,对。
Oh, I’ll fix your fuckin’ asses, all right.
也许我会把一根长针插♥进♥你的耳膜。
Maybe a long needle in your eardrum.
把火烫的雪茄放进你的眼球。
A hot cigar in your eye.
没有比这在具有想像力的了。
Nothin’ fancy.
在你的屁♥股♥上浇点熔铅。
Some molten lead up the ass.
呕,呵!
Ooh!
或者更刺♥激♥的
Or better still,
古老的阿帕切人的方法
some of that old Apache shit.
把你的眼皮割下来。
Cut your eyelids off. Yeah.
我会听你这个杂种是怎么尖叫的。
I’ll just listen to you fucks screamin’.
哎哟,那将是多么动听的音乐啊
Oh, what sweet music that’ll be.
吔。我们将在医院完成这一切
Yeah. We’ll do it in the hospital.
有了医生和护士那么你受到刺痛时 就不会这么快的在我面前死去。
With doctors and nurses so you pricks don’t die on me too quick.
想知道最精彩的部分吗?
You know the best part?
这最最精彩的部分就是 你这个口♥交♥的同性恋的眼皮将被割掉
The best part is you dick-smokin’ faggots will have your eyelids cut off,
你会看这我做的,吔.
so you抣l have to watch me do it to you, yeah.
你会看到我是怎么把雪茄一点一点的触向你
You’ll see me bring that cigar closer and closer…
触向你那睁大了的眼珠
to your wide-open eyeball…
直到你发疯。
till you’re almost out of your mind.
但不要安静
But not quite…
我想让你叫的时间长点 很长时间.
’cause I want it to last a long, long time.
我想让你知道那就是我,
I want you to know that it’s me,
是我做的
that I’m the one that’s doin’ it to you.
是我!
Me!
和柔弱的精神病医师?
And that sissy psychiatrist?
多么的无知啊!
What unmitigated ignorance!
那个狗屁法官!
That old drunken fart of a judge!
多么傲慢的傻瓜!
What a pompous ass!
不要审判了 你才该受到审判!
Judge not lestye be judged!
我从这地狱出来就叫你们 这群令人作呕的家伙死光光
All of you pukes are gonna die the day I get out of this shithole!
我会让你们后悔的
I guarantee you抣l regret the day you met me!
在某种程度上,用我们的当代世界观。
In a way, in our contemporary world view,
不难想像科学已经达到了取代上帝的程度。
It’s easy to think that science has come to take the place of God.
但一些哲学问题上仍存在疑惑。
But some philosophical problems remain as troubling as ever.
以“自♥由♥的意志”去看待问题。
Take the problem of free will.
这个问题已经存在很久了。
This problem’s been around for a long time,
从西元前350年的亚理斯多德
since before Aristotle in 3 50 B.C.
到圣奥古斯丁和圣托马斯阿奎那
St. Augustine, St. Thomas Aquinas,
这些人都在担心我们怎样才能自♥由♥
these guys all worried about how we can be free…
如果上帝早知道你要做什么
if God already knows in advance everything you’re gonna do.
现在我们都可以 按照一些基本的物理定律行事了
Nowadays we know that the world operates according to some fundamental physical laws,
这些规律指引这世上的物质的行为了
and these laws govern the behavior of every object in the world.
现在,这些规律,因为它们是如此可信
Now, these laws, because they’re so trustworthy,
它们可以造就难以置信的科技成果
they enable incredible technological achievements.
但看看你自己, 我们正好也是些自然物质
But look at yourself. We’re just physical systems too.
我们只是是碳分子的复杂排列而已
We’re just complex arrangements of carbon molecules.
我们大部分都是水
We’re mostly water,
而且我们的行为也不可能违背自然规律
and our behavior isn’t gonna be an exception to basic physical laws.
所以看似是上帝事先造物
So it starts to look like whether it’s God setting things up in advance…
而且知道你要干啥
and knowing everything you’re gonna do…
或许是这些自然规律指引着一切
or whether it’s these basic physical laws governing everything.
自♥由♥的空间不大
There’s not a lot of room left for freedom.
所以现在你会不自觉的忽视这些问题
So now you might be tempted to just ignore the question,
忽视自♥由♥志愿的神秘
ignore the mystery of free will.
说,哦,这只不过是历史奇闻, 一知半解!
Say, “Oh, well, it’s just an historical anecdote. It’s sophomoric.
没有答案的问题,就算了吧
It’s a question with no answer. Just forget about it.”
但问题就摆在你面前
But the question keeps staring you right in the face.
你会独♥立♥思考些, 像你是谁的问题
You think about individuality, for example, who you are.
你是谁通常是你的自♥由♥抉择的事
Who you are is mostly a matter of the free choices that you make.
或者你承担责任, 别人也会负责地对你
Or take responsibility. You can only be held responsible,
你只能是有罪, 受人钦佩或尊敬
you can only be found guilty or admired or respected…
因为你自愿做的事情
for things you did of your own free will.
问题又来了, 我们没有一个真正解决问题的办法
The question keeps coming back, and we don’t really have a solution to it.
看上去你的所以决定都只是一个文字游戏
It starts to look like all your decisions are really just a charade.
想像是如何发生的, 你的大脑里有电在作用
Think about how it happens. There’s some electrical activity in your brain.
你的神经元在作用, 它们发送一个信♥号♥♥给你的神经系统
Your neurons fire. They send a signal down into your nervous system.
传下至你的肌肉纤维
It passes along down into your muscle fibers.
它们抽搐,你会张开你的臂膀
They twitch. You might, say, reach out your arm.
看上像是你那部位的自然动作
Looks like it’s a free action on your part,
任何这些人,任何这些动作
but every one of those– every part of that process…
都受到物理定律的支配
is actually governed by physical law:
还有化学和电的规律等等
chemical laws, electrical laws and so on.
所以现在看来这像是 宇宙大爆♥炸♥(Big Bang)所形成的初始状态
So now it just looks like the Big Bang set up the initial conditions,
以及整个余下的我们的历史
and the whole rest of our history,
余下整个人类历史, 以及在此之前
the whole rest of human history and even before,
这只是一种亚原子粒子所产生的结果
is really just sort of the playing out of subatomic particles…
按照这些基本的物理定律
according to these basic fundamental physical laws.
我们认为自己很特别,所谓的高贵
We think we’re special. We think we have some kind of special dignity,
但那会遭到威胁
but that now comes under threat.
我意思是那真正受到这一面的挑战
I mean, that’s really challenged by this picture.
因此你会说:“等等,那量子力学呢?
So you might be saying, “Well, wait a minute. What about quantum mechanics?
我所了解的物质理论足以认识到不是像那样的
“I know enough contemporary physical theory to know it’s not really like that.
这实在是一种或然率理论
“It’s really a probabilistic theory.
这里有空间,有自♥由♥,不是确定性的
There’s room. It’s loose. It’s not deterministic.”
那会让我们理解自♥由♥意志
And that’s gonna enable us to understand free will.
但如果你深入了解,这真没多大用
But if you look at the details, it’s not really gonna help…
因为所发生的是你只有一些很小的量子粒子
because what happens is you have some very small quantum particles,
你的行为明显是随意的
and their behavior is apparently a bit random.
他们突然改变。他们的行为是可笑的, 感觉好像这是不可预料的
They swerve. Their behavior is absurd in the sense that it’s unpredictable…
在以前发生的事的基础上我们不能理解
and we can’t understand it based on anything that came before.
按照机率理论,只是突然的做了什么
It just does something out of the blue, according to a probabilistic framework.
但这与自♥由♥有何相干?
But is that gonna help with freedom?
我们的自♥由♥只是一种可能性
Should our freedom just be a matter of probabilities,
只是在无序的状态下的突然改变
just some random swerving in a chaotic system?
这好像更糟,我宁愿自己是
That just seems like it’s worse. I’d rather be a gear…
在一个稳定的物质机器上的一个齿轮
in a big deterministic, physical machine…
而不是一些突然的改变
than just some random swerving.
所以我们不能忽视这个问题
So we can’t just ignore the problem.
我们只能用我们的当代世界观给人们找点空间
We have to find room in our contemporary world view for persons,

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!