现在 在我们的第三系列讨论中
And now, in our third series of discussions
题为现代婚姻
entitled Modern Marriage
哈罗德·尼科尔森先生和他的妻子
Mr. Harold Nicolson and his wife
著名小说家维塔·萨克维尔 -韦斯特
the distinguished novelist Vita Sackville- West
与我们分享他们的想法
share with us their thoughts
在现代婚姻的基础上
on the foundation of a modern marriage.
我没有签结婚合同
I didn’t sign a marriage contract.
我谈判了一个
I negotiated one.
我发现灵活性更大
And I found a great deal more flexibility
比我长大的期望
than I was brought up to expect.
-你同意吗 -我会的
– Would you agree? – I would.
婚姻不是一件家具
Marriage is less a piece of furniture
更像植物
and more like a plant.
需要不断培育的有机体
A living organism in need of constant nurture.
它不是我们拥有的东西 而是我们成长的东西
It is not something we own but something we grow.
这样做 我们有机会
And in so doing, we are offered the opportunity
以我们自己的形象来培育它
to nurture it in our own image.
是的 但看起来确实如此
Yes, but it does seem
男人往往认为自己是植物
that men tend to regard themselves the plant
和女人 土壤
and women, the soil.
这对两性来说都是一种糟糕的状况
This is a poor state of affairs for both sexes.
我喜欢自己的品质
I enjoy the qualities in myself
可以说是男性的
that may be said to be masculine.
我也是 亲爱的
And so do I, darling.
然而 我认为最活泼的女人
Nevertheless, I would argue the most virile woman
比最女性化的男人更女性化
is infinitely more feminine than the most feminine man.
这种思维意味着破坏性的绝对性
That kind of thinking implies damaging absolutes.
女性必然是被动的
That there is something necessarily passive about the feminine
因此 它应该永远是女人
and therefore that it should always be the woman
放弃她的机会
who surrenders her opportunities.
但你同意做母亲的快乐
But you do agree that the joys of motherhood
是否足以补偿任何这种牺牲
are sufficient compensation for any such sacrifice?
绝对不是
Emphatically not.
你是说你作为一个畅销书作家的成功
Are you saying that your success as a bestselling writer
让你兴奋的不仅仅是你作为母亲的职责
thrills you more than your duties as a mother?
我的职业成功满足了不同的胃
My professional success satisfies a different stomach.
独♥立♥没有性
Independence has no sex.
你认为我们把国家丑闻化了吗
Do you think we scandalized the nation?
运气好的话 我们做到了
With any luck, we did.
你要来布卢姆斯伯里吗
Are you coming to Bloomsbury?
我不确定我能忍♥受一个晚上的闷闷不乐的握手
I’m not sure I could bear an evening of sullen handshakes
和喘不过气来的哲学
and breathless philosophy.
我想你会发现你搞错了
I think you’d find you’ve got them quite wrong.
祝你母亲好运
Good luck with your mother.
你不可爱吗
Aren’t you sweet?
我想要一些蛋糕 妈妈
I want some cake, mama.
男孩们 你对邦尼·曼说什么
Boys, what do you say to bonne maman?
哦 没事的塞进去
Oh, it’s alright. Tuck in.
我被邀请参加今晚在布卢姆斯伯里举♥行♥的聚会
I’ve been invited to a party in Bloomsbury tonight.
所有最令人兴奋的艺术家将在那里
All the most exciting artists will be there
和霍加思出版社的所有作家
and all the writers from the Hogarth Press.
哦 不是由那些伍尔夫人经营的吗
Oh, isn’t it run by those Woolfs?
是的 这就是为什么我如此受宠若惊
Yes. That’s why I’m so flattered.
但他们是社♥会♥主♥义♥者他们是波希米亚人
But they’re socialists. They are bohemians.
这是我被认真的头脑接受的机会
This is a chance for me to be accepted by serious minds.
我听说她疯了
I hear she’s mad.
我不想让人们相信他们听到的关于我的一切
I wouldn’t want people to believe everything they hear about me.
当然 就你而言 他们听到的一切都是真的
Well, of course, in your case, everything they hear is true.
弗吉尼亚是一个邪恶的聪明的头脑
Virginia is a wickedly brilliant mind
我必须认识她
and I must know her.
我希望你也不想和她一起跑掉
I hope you’re not thinking of running off with her as well?
-不 玛曼当然不是 -如果你再这么做…
– No, maman. Of course not. – If you do that again…
你骂我够多了
You’ve scolded me enough.
我一再说 我是多么后悔所发生的一切
I’ve said again and again how much I regret what happened
当我去法国的时候 我只假装自己是个男人
and that I only pretended to be a man when I went to France
紫罗兰为我的书复印
with Violet to get copy for my book.
如果八卦让你痛苦 我很抱歉
I’m sorry if the gossip gave you pain.
我想我可以试着忘记你的行为
I thought I could try to forget your behavior
但你现在决定告诉全世界
but you decided now to tell the whole world.
-那你已经读过了 -这不是小说
– S… so you’ve read it then? – It’s not a novel.
这是你荒唐的荒唐事的掩饰
It’s a thinly disguised account of your ludicrous affair.
-已经打印了 -但没出版
– It’s already been printed. – But not published.
您将停止发布
You will stop the publishing
否则我会停止所有的钱给你和哈罗德
or I will stop all money to you and Harold.
我会采取措施保护孩子们
And I shall take steps to protect the boys
从你的影响
from your influence.
我会要求我的出版商不要继续绑定
I’ll ask my publisher not to go ahead with the binding.
我非常想要的
What I want very much
是有一个女儿 我可以感到自豪
is to have a daughter that I can be proud of
而不是一个乱七八八无的展览家
and not a promiscuous exhibitionist
只给我带来耻辱的人
who brings only shame on me
毕竟我所做的是被社会接受的
after all I have done to be accepted by society.
你真的必须保证不去
You really must promise not to go.
啊
Ah!
你在 维塔
There you are, Vita.
我不确定内萨会激动
Um, I’m not sure Nessa would be thrilled
发现你在这里到处乱逛
to find you poking around in here.
我无法抗拒
I couldn’t resist.
啊 那是我妻子她姐姐的新画像
Ah, that’s my wife’s new portrait of her sister.
哦 是维吉尼亚
Oh, it’s Virginia?
好吧 回来参加聚会吧
Well, come back to the party
如果你觉得 我会向你介绍真实的东西
and I’ll introduce you to the real thing if you like.
她不是那么平静的画布
She’s not so tranquil off the canvas
我可以向你保证
I can promise you.
邓肯 我在内萨的工作室找到维塔
Duncan, I found Vita in Nessa’s studio.
-我们怎么处理她 -四十下鞭子立即
– What shall we do with her? – Forty lashes immediately.
更多与内萨的工作
Much more taken with Nessa’s work
比邓肯的 不是吗 维塔
than Duncan’s, weren’t you, Vita?
我不知道你和贝尔太太一起工作 格兰特先生
I didn’t know you worked with Mrs. Bell, Mr. Grant.
不断 那里大约一半的工作是我的
Constantly. About half the work in there is mine.
他们有同样的方式看世界 你看 维塔
They have the same way of seeing the world, you see, Vita.
他们就是弗吉尼亚所说的左撇子婚姻
Theirs is what Virginia calls a left- handed marriage.
那你和内萨结婚会是什么
And what would that make your marriage to Nessa then?
一个拥挤的
A crowded one.
内萨和我试图抓住事情的真♥相♥
Nessa and I try to catch the truth of a thing
由…把它剥回来…
by… by stripping it back…
-瓦内萨 -…捕捉其本质
– Vanessa? – …capturing its essence.
彻底简化
Radical simplification.
嗯 不 不 不 你很无聊 可怜的维塔 邓肯
Mm, no, no, no, you’re boring poor Vita, Duncan.
今天早上我在收音机里听到你的声音
I heard you on the radio this morning.
我刚读了你最新的小说
I just read your latest novel.
为什么你认为你的书卖♥♥的比我的多
Why do you think your books sell more than mine?
人气从来不是天才的标志
Popularity was never a sign of genius.
你要抽烟吗
Are you going to smoke that?
身体 身体 身体
Bodies, bodies, bodies.
-感觉如何 -你说什么
– How does it feel? – What are you getting at?
此刻
The present moment.
它由什么组成
What is it composed of?
它由身体感觉组成
It is composed of bodily sensations.
空气在衣服下的皮肤上飘着冷
The air wafts cold on the skin under one’s clothes.
手的触摸给人的感觉
The touch of a hand gives the sense
一个正在从地球的中心下沉
that one is sinking through the center of the earth.
时间变得更加困难
The moment becomes harder..
…被被爱的欲望所玷污
…stained by the desire to be loved..
…被另一个形状靠近
…to be held close by another shape.
你能感觉到它在你的脊柱上融化吗
Can you feel it running molten up your spine
和下四肢
and down your limbs?
你能看到这一刻里面是什么吗
Can you see what’s inside this moment?
你能感觉到吗
Can you feel it?
是的 它是硬化的
Yes, it is hardened.