I’ve, uh, been through a few myself,
这些事情很 我们可以说…
and they can be, shall we say…
他妈的很累
Fuckin’ exhausting.
正确的
Right.
是啊
Yeah.
这是一个磨难
It’s a grind.
我来告诉你 这是一种磨难
It’s a grind, I’ll tell you.
巴士 博洛尼亚三明治
Buses, bologna sandwiches.
见鬼 我喜欢人 但是我想
Hell, I like people, but, I mean,
你知道 够了就是够了
you know, enough’s enough.
所以
So…
我接到的那通电♥话♥是什么意思
that call I received…
我忘了 你是个开门见山的人
I forgot, you’re a brass tacks guy,
我喜欢你这种态度
aren’t ya? I like that.
你很惊讶我正在竞选总统吗
You surprised I’m running for president?
他想讨好他父亲的渴望
He wants to impress his father
胜过一切
more than anything.
我度过了 可以说是放荡不羁的岁月之后
After my, uh, shall we say, wild years?
其实 乔治 我以前也有过放纵自己
Well, George, I sowed some oats myself
的生活
back in the day.
现在我有时还喜欢喝冰镇啤酒
And I still enjoy a cold beer on occasion.
-我敢打赌你做了 -嗯
-I bet you did. -Mmm.
我敢打赌你做了 你这个流氓
I bet you did, you rascal.
我不能再这样了 情况变糟糕了
I can’t anymore. It got bad.
那些美好的时光
Good times.
他真正想要的是什么
What does he really want?
他需要什么
What does he need?
选举会很艰难 我跟你说
It’s tough, I’ll tell ya.
我在第一次国会竞选中输了
I lost my first congressional race,
情况不妙
and it was not good.
要不要来点鸡胸肉
How ’bout some brisket?
乔治 呃
George, um…
嘿 特丽萨 嘿 特丽萨
Hey, Theresa! Hey, Theresa!
好的 我们这就去准备
All right, we’ll find some.
-要烧到熟透 -当然
-Get the burnt ends. -THERESA: ‘Course.
所以 我在民♥意♥调查中
So listen, I got a…
被指出缺乏经验的问题
“lack of experience” problem in the polls,
而你是这里最有经验的人之一
and you are one of the most experienced guys around.
你想加入我的阵营当我的副总统吗
You wanna jump on board, be my vice?
不甚荣幸
I’m honored.
别说荣幸 直接说是的 直性子先生
Don’t be honored, fuckin’ say yes, Mr. Brass Tacks.
那 我必须说 不
Mmm. I have to say, uh, no.
迪克 来吧 我们一起会有很多乐趣
Dick, come on, we’re gonna have a lot of fun.
想想你现在在做什么 你在私营部门吗
What are you doin’ right now? You’re in the private sector?
是啊
Yeah.
拜托 我知道你热衷于政♥治♥
Come on, I know you love politics.
乔治
George.
-我们合作吧 -不可能的
-Let’s go. -Not gonna happen.
来吧
Come on now.
哦 真可惜
Well, that’s a shame.
它是
It is.
也许我可以 呃
Perhaps I could, uh…
帮你找到合适的竞选伙伴
help you find the right running mate.
你是指负责我的副总裁搜索团队吗
Run my VP search team?
唔 没有团队 只有我
Mmm. No team. Just me.
是的 是的 这样可以 这样
Yeah, yeah, that could work, that could…
当然 我必须得让Rove去负责 但是 呃
I have to run it by Rove, of course, but, uh…
如果我输了 也许我会变成
If I lose, maybe I could become
棒球队的主管人
commissioner of baseball.
你知道吗
You know?
但是 这个 目的
But the, um, idea…
就是赢
is to win.
我会把你留在我的脑海里
I’m gonna keep you in the back of my mind.
那么 你是不是要告诉我今天的情况
So, are you going to tell me how it went today or not?
很有趣
It was very interesting.
他 呃
He is, uh…
缺乏经验
…green.
他才初出茅庐
He’s very green.
那你跟他说不了吗
And you told him “no”?
我告诉他我会帮忙
I told him I would help with the, uh…
寻找副总统
with the search.
你在想什么
What are you thinking?
-我知道你在想东西 -嗯
-I can tell you’re thinking. -Mm-hmm.
迪克·切尼在想什么呢
What was Dick Cheney thinking…
我在想我从没见过这样的情况
I’m thinking I’ve never seen anything like this.
在他和乔治的第一次会面之后
…after his first meeting with George W.?
我们已经取得了很多成功 迪克
We’ve had a lot of successes, Dick.
副总统只是一个无足轻重的工作
And the vice president is a nothing job.
他向前看了多少步呢
How many steps ahead was he looking?
他对在他眼前的这个机会
How did he feel about the opportunity
作何感想
that was in front of him?
有些时光
There are certain moments
如此脆弱
so delicate…
就像一个茶杯和茶碟
like a teacup and saucer…
堆叠在一个茶杯和茶碟之上
…stacked on a teacup and saucer
另一个茶杯和茶碟继续堆叠
on a teacup and saucer…
你能改变吗 还是说我在白费心思
Can you change, or am I wasting…
不断地堆叠
…and on and on…
这一刻可能会朝任何方向坠落
that this moment could fall in any direction…
从而改变一切
and change everything.
可悲的是 没有任何办法
Sadly, there’s no real way
知道在在这个历史变迁的时刻
to know exactly what was going on
切尼的家里
inside the Cheneys…
到底发生了什么事情
…at this history-changing moment.
我们不能突然陷入莎士比亚式的独白
We can’t just snap into a Shakespearean soliloquy
这使每一种感觉和动机都变得戏剧化
that dramatizes every feeling and motivation.
这不是世界运作的方式
That’s just not the way the world works.
我亲爱的理查德
My sweet Richard.
你在国王的壁炉边跳舞 跳得很快
Dance’d nimbly round the king’s hearth thou hath.
即使我大声喊着要更多 更多
Even whilst clamored I for more, more!
-嗯 -干裂的嘴唇碰向水滴
-Mm. -Parched maw craned towards
想象中的水滴
the drip, drip of imagined waters.
但我现在要对你说 休息吧 退休吧
But I say to you now, rest, retire.
你已经履行了你对妻子和王冠的誓言
Thou hast honored thy vows to wife and crown.
盲目遮挡了你的视野吗 我的妻子
Has blindness usurped vision in you, my wife?
我们的联盟不仅仅是条约
No mere treaty is our union.
你与我分享你的火炬之火
Thou shared thy torch’s flame with mine.
向我展示那些早已消亡的帝国
Revealing halls and spires…
的大厅和尖塔
…of long faded empires.
现在 我可以高举
And now, I may hold aloft
我自己的火炬
mine own fiery cresset.
使肉身成为我们的力量纽带
And make flesh our bond of power.
我敢吗
Dare I?
我敢让承载希望的鸟儿们收集荆棘树枝
Dare I let hope’s beak place gathered bramble
置于我的心上建筑未来的巢吗
upon my heart for future’s nest?
多少冬天已过 我已经让希望消逝
Many winters past hath I let this hope die,
冷风平息了鸟儿们求助的哭声
cruel winds silencing tiny birds’ needy cries.
既然如今希望来了 我说是的
Now that it hath arrived, I say yea.
赞成
Yea.
我的血和意志是你的
Mine own blood and will are yours
直到被刺穿的是
’til pierced be
最后一个士兵的胸甲
the last soldier’s breastplate,
随之溢出深红色胶质般的珍宝
spilling forth its ruby jelly treasures.
所以呢
So?
所以我想我们 呃 继续
So I think we, uh, proceed.
玛丽呢
What about Mary?
嗯 这是副总统
Mmm. It’s VP.
审查机制不相同
Not the same scrutiny.
不 他有盟友 迪克 他的关系网络
No. He has allies, Dick. Connections.
你对他的世界不熟悉 你不知道实际情况
You’re new to his world. You don’t know the landscape.
那我最好进行一次彻底的搜查