你迟到了,拉布夫先生。– 法语是“La Boeuf”。
You’re late, Mr. La Boof. – The French is ‘La Boeuf’.
我称之为“拉牛肉”。
I call it ‘La Beef’.
拉·弗尔先生今晚来过了。
Mr. La Beef came in this evening.
请除下马刺。
Your spurs, please.
我那些可怜的椅子已经被刮得伤痕累累了。
My poor chairs are scratched enough already.
装束很不赖呢,长官。
A right fancy rig, sir.
小心那些鸡肉和饺子。
Watch out for the chicken and dumplings.
它们会伤害你的眼睛。– 怎么了?
They’ll hurt your eyes. – How’s that?
你想找鸡肉就很伤神!
They’ll hurt your eyes looking for the chicken!
你这个蠢蠢的混♥蛋♥!
You squirrel-headed bastard!
你好。你叫什么名字?
Howdy. What’s your name?
我现在想睡觉了,但首先我想看看我父亲的行头。
I’d like to go to bed now. But first I’d like to see my father’s traps.
我猜一下,你叫玛蒂·罗斯。
I’ll take a guess and say your name is Mattie Ross.
拉牛肉先生是个帅哥呢。– 他最需要洗澡和刮胡子。
Mr. La Beef is a handsome man. – He needs a bath and a shave.
他来自德克萨斯州。– 他很自傲自己的发型呢。
He hails from Texas. – Judge he’s proud of his cowlick.
他怎么会猜到我的名字的? — 我猜他一定很会猜!
How did he guess my name? – He’s a good guesser, I guess!
因为行刑的缘故,我们的房♥间不够用。
We’re short of rooms on account of the hanging.
你和特纳奶奶睡在这里吧。
You’ll sleep in here with Grandma Turner.
别担心特纳奶奶,她很习惯两个人住的。
Don’t worry about Grandma Turner, she’s used to doubling up.
那我的房♥租会减半吧?
I take it my rent will be half, then?
这些是你父亲的行李,手表和刀都在里面。
These are your father’s traps. The watch and the knife are inside.
切尼偷走了他的钱和坐骑。
Chaney stole his money and his horse.
你觉得考伯恩怎么样?
What do you think of Marshal Rooster Cogburn?
狂人考伯恩!我听说了一些关于他的可怕的事情!
Rooster Cogburn! I’ve heard some terrible things about him!
我知道他嗜好杯中物。
He loves to pull a cork, I know that!
尊敬的帕克法官!全体起立!
His Honour, Judge Parker! All rise!
给我一颗薄荷糖,我的胃有些不舒服。
I’ll have a peppermint to settle my stomach.
好的,大人。
Yes, sir.
美国西部法庭…,
The United States Court of the Western District,
拥有印弟安人领土司法权,开庭。
having criminal jurisdiction in the Indian Territory, is now in session.
这就是帕克法官吗,那个行刑法官?
Is that Judge Parker, the hanging judge?
他是个超难对付的人。除了总统特赦,任何人不能上诉!
He’s a tough customer. There’s no appeal except to the President himself!
传召考伯恩警官上庭。
Call Deputy Marshal Cogburn.
鲁本·J·科伯恩先生请上证人席。
Mr. Reuben J Cogburn will take the stand.
你今早发过誓,现在仍然有效期。
You were sworn this morning, you’re still sworn.
辩方请进行盘问。
Defence will cross-examine.
考伯恩先生,你今早为控方作证。
Mr. Cogburn, you testified for the prosecution this morning.
请允许我总结一下你所有的证词。根据你的陈述…
Allow me to summarise what you said. According to your story…
贝…沃顿拿起猎枪杀了波特警官。
…C.C. Wharton grabbed a shotgun and killed Marshal Potter.
然后当他拿枪对准你时,你开枪打爆了他。
Then he turned the gun on you, and you shot him.
然后他的父亲抡起了斧头,于是你也把他打死了。
Then the father swung his axe, and you shot him, too.
你说被告试图逃跑,你也开枪打了他。
The defendant tried to run, you say, and you also shot him.
只是打伤了他,否则他不会来此服刑了!
Just winged him, or he wouldn’t be here to pay up!
那老头和沃顿倒地身亡。
The old man and CC hit the ground dead.
你当法警多久了,考伯恩先生?
How long have you been a Deputy Marshal, Mr. Cogburn?
到三月的,就满四年了。
Four years, come March.
你当差期间总共杀了多少人?
How many men have you shot in that time?
控方反对!– 反对无效!
The prosecution objects! – Overruled!
你当上警官后杀过多少人?
How many men have you shot since becoming a marshal?
我从没主动杀人,都是逼不得已的! — 这并不重要,到底有多少?
I never shot nobody I didn’t have to! – That’s not the question. How many?
算彻底死的那些吗?
Shot or killed?
只算死人吧,这数字更好计算!
Let’s restrict it to killed, a more manageable figure!
12到15吧,阻止他们逃跑,或者纯属自卫。
Well, twelve to fifteen, stopping men in flight and defending myself.
才12到15?很显然数字太多,你自己都记不清了。
Twelve to fifteen? So many you can’t keep a specific count.
我已经检查过所有记录。
I have examined the records.
有了一个更精准的数字。来看看有多少吧!
A more accurate figure is available. Come now, how many?
算上沃顿父子两个,总共23个。
Counting them two Whartons, twenty-three.
你得花点力气才能有这样的表现吧。
I felt you’d come to it with a little effort.
四年里死了23个人,那一年就得有六个人了!
Twenty-three dead men in four years. That makes about six men a year!
这本就是件极其危险的活计。– 那你还要抓捕多少人啊!
It’s a dangerous business. – How much more for those you arrest!
你不是突然发现沃顿父子的吗?
Is it not true that you sprang upon the Whartons
怎会用一把致命的六发左轮手♥枪♥对准了他们?
with a deadly six-shot revolver?
我可是努力做好时刻准备着的。– 那你这把左轮手♥枪♥上膛了吗?
I always try to be ready. – Was this revolver loaded and cocked?
一把没上膛的手♥枪♥就是形同柴火棍!
A gun that’s unloaded ain’t good for nothing!
请直接回答我的问题。
Just answer, if you please.
这个问题没有意义! — 不要和律师无谓地斗嘴。
The question don’t make sense! – Don’t bandy words with counsel.
是的,上膛了。先生!
Yes, sir.
你的证词曾说你后退离开了沃顿老头。
You testified you backed away from old man Wharton.
是的,先生。– 哪个方向?
Yes, sir. – Which direction?
退后!我总是退后时保持着后退的姿势!
Backward! I always go backward when I’m backing away!
我欣赏您这句话的幽默劲儿。
I appreciate the humour of that remark.
你抵达的时候亚伦·沃顿正站在一个壶旁边吗?
Aaron Wharton was standing by a pot when you arrived?
是蹲着,他在拨弄壶下面的火。
More like squatting. He was stirring the fire under the pot.
你后退了多远?– 六,八步。
How far did you back away? – Six, eight steps.
也就是说沃顿也前进了同样的距离?6步还是8步?
Meaning Wharton advanced the same distance? Six or eight steps?
16英尺吗? — 差不多吧。
Sixteen feet? – Something like that.
那能解释一下为什么尸体会在洗脸盆旁被发现吗,
Then explain why the body was found by the wash pot,
一手臂在火里,衣袖和手在闷烧。
one arm in the flames, the sleeve and hand smouldering.
那些混♥蛋♥,他们移♥动♥了尸体。
Them hogs! They may have moved the body.
混♥蛋♥,不错!
Hogs, indeed!
古迪先生,你还有问题吗?
Mr. Goudy, do you have any more questions?
完全没有直接答案,我问完了。
None that I’ll get a straight answer to. I’m finished with him.
你可以走了,考伯恩先生。
You’re dismissed, Mr. Cogburn.
传下一个证人!
Call the next witness!
塞西尔佛林,请上证人席!
Cecil Falling Leaf, take the stand!
请举起你的右手……
Raise your right hand…
考伯恩先生? — 怎么了?
Mr. Rooster Cogburn? – What is it?
我想和你谈一下,他们说你是一个真正有勇气的人。
I’d like to talk with you a minute. They say you’re a man with true grit.
你想要什么呢?直说吧!
What do you want? Speak up!
烟纸已经被你弄皱了……
You’ve already wrinkled the paper…
它很松,因为你的烟叶太干了。
It’s pretty loose because your makings are too dry.
我在寻找汤姆·切尼。
I’m looking for Tom Chaney.
这是谁?
Well, who’s he?
他枪杀了我的父亲,弗兰克·罗斯。
He shot and killed my father, Frank Ross.
他现在印第安领地,我需要有人去追捕他。
He’s in the Indian Territory. I need somebody to go after him.
那你又是谁? — 玛蒂·罗斯。
Who are you? – Mattie Ross.
我家在耶尔县有480英亩的好洼地。
My family has 480 acres of good bottomland in Yell County.
我妈在家照顾我的小姐姐和小♥弟♥弟♥。
Mother’s home looking after my baby sister and brother.
你为什么不回家?别烦我了。
Why don’t you go home and leave me alone?
他们还需要我做其他事呢!
They’ll need help with the churning!
考伯恩先生!
Mr. Cogburn!
你可以拿到通缉切尼的赏金,带回来的再多拿两美元,
You can get a fugitive warrant for Chaney and $2 for bringing him in,
算上旅途的辛苦费,我给你额外50美元的奖励!
plus 10 cents a mile for each of you, and I’ll give you $50 reward!
你了解得很清楚嘛。
You’ve looked into this right smart.
是的,我对这事是认真的。
Yes, I mean business.
你口袋里的那是什么?
What have you got in your poke?
天哪,姑娘,那是柯尔特的龙骑枪!
By God, girl, that’s a Colt’s Dragoon!
你都还没玉米粒大。你拿着这把枪干什么?
You’re no bigger than a corn nubbin. What are you doing with this pistol?
我父亲在战时勇敢地佩戴着它。
My father carried it bravely in the war.
如果法律路线走不通的,我打算用它打爆汤姆·切尼。
I intend to kill Tom Chaney with it if the law fails.
可以的,但你首先得为自己找个好的支撑物。
This’ll sure get the job done, if you can find a fence post to rest it on
这样你开枪的才会有个命中率!
while you take aim!
恐怕切尼的事只能我自己亲自动手解决了。
I’m afraid nothing’ll be done about Chaney unless I do it myself.
但我想你手头上没有50美元。– 我卖♥♥了我的马儿,就能有了。
I don’t think you’ve got $50. – After my horse-trading, I’ll have it.
你认识那个叫幸运儿奈德·佩珀的强盗吗?
Do you know the robber Lucky Ned Pepper?
好吧,我知道他……!
I know him… well!
去年八月,在蜿蜒的阶梯山,我射中了他的嘴唇。
I shot him in the lip last August over at Winding Stair Mountains.
那天他很幸运,我射偏了!
He was lucky that day, my shooting was off!
我觉得切尼跟他很有关系。
Well, I think Chaney’s tied up with him.
是吗? — 是的!
Yeah? – Yeah!
内德·佩珀?– 是的…
Ned Pepper, huh? – Yeah…
小姐姐,我觉得你拿不到50美元。
Baby sister, I don’t think you can get $50.
但我会带你回家,另外让你吃个晚饭。
But I’ll take you home and give you supper.
我们需要再好好谈谈,你觉得怎么样?
We’ll talk it over, make medicine. How does that suit you?
好主意。
Right down to the ground.
我想见见你的家人。
I’d like to meet your family.
这是家父,陈李。
This is my father, Chen Lee.
还有我的侄子,斯特林·普莱斯将军。
And my nephew, General Sterling Price.
还要一点吗,小姐?
You want more, Missy?
我已经吃饱了,很丰富的一顿盛宴。
I’ve had enough, and enough is as good as a feast.