Calm down, answer the questions.
冷静 回答问题
Vargas!
瓦格斯!
Yes, Captain.
是 探长
I got my orders, Vargas.
记住我的话 瓦格斯
I’m supposed to extend you every courtesy.
我该对你敬若上宾
That don’t mean you… you do the interrogating.
但那不意味着你来进行审讯
I know, Captain. That’s what I told Sanchez.
我知道 探长 我也是这么告诉桑切斯的
Hmm. You’re Ed Hansen?
你是埃·汉森吗?
That’s right, Captain Quinlan. Run out and get me some coffee, Ed.
正是 昆兰探长 快去给我弄点咖啡 埃
How ’bout you. Miss Linnekar? Marcia, isn’t it?
你呢? 雷尼卡小姐 是叫玛莎吗?
Want some coffee? No, thanks.
想来点咖啡吗? 不 谢谢
I really need it. I’m an old man, Marcia.
我确实要来点 我是个老头了 玛莎
I go a whole night without sleep, I feel it.
我一整晚都没合眼了 感到很累
Of course, it was a lot worse for you.
当然对你来说更糟
Terrible thing what happened to your dad.
你父亲遇到了可怕的事情
Have you been living here for some time, Marcia? How long?
你已经在这里住了有些日子了吧 玛莎? 有多久?
Four months. Marcia!
4个月 玛莎!
Huh. You have a little quarrel with your dad?
你和你♥爸♥爸吵过架吗?
Perhaps I should introduce myself.
然后独自搬出去了?
I’m Miss Linnekar’s attorney. I know who you are.
我是雷尼卡小姐的律师 我认识你
I’m Howard Frantz. Yes, Mr Frantz.
我叫霍华德·弗兰兹 好的 弗兰兹先生
I’m Manolo Sanchez. And I haven’t got any attorney!
我是马努鲁桑切斯 而且我还没有律师
Huh. You two been sharing this apartment?
你们两个人合用这套房♥子吗?
I must explain. On my advice, my client is moving elsewhere.
我必须说明一下 按我的建议 我的当事人正要搬走
Well, that means she has been living with this man.
就是说 她一直是和这个男人住在一起
She will hold herself available for your later questionings.
她晚些时候会接受你的询问
I will be present, of course. Of course.
我会来的 当然 当然
Marcia, where was your friend Sanchez last night?
玛莎 昨天晚上你的朋友桑切斯在哪里?
Later, Captain, later. After she’s rested.
梢后 探长 梢后 等她休息一下
Come, my dear.
来吧 亲爱的
Querida
情妇
Casey, would you take a look in the desk there?
凯西 能看一下那张桌子里面吗?
Might see some letters or somethin’.
应该有几封信
That is, unless you’ve already looked the place over.
除非你们已经搜查过了
We know better than that, Captain. We were waiting for you.
我们懂 我们刚才正在等你
They can not do that, They didn’t have the power to see my letter.
他们不能那样 他们没权力看我的信
Calm down. I…Umm…
冷静 我 嗯…
I don’t speak Mexican. – You have no power…
我不讲墨西哥语 你们无权…
You are a coward. You afraid of these Gringo. Wait, man.
你是个懦夫 怕这些外国佬 等等 伙计
Let’s keep it in English, Vargas.
说英语 瓦格斯
It’s all right with me.
好了 好了
I’m sure he’s just as unpleasant in any language.
我敢肯定他用任何 语言讲都是讨厌的
Unpleasant? Strange!
讨厌? 古怪
I’ve been told I have a very winning personality.
有人告诉过我 我十分迷人
The very best shoe clerk the store ever had.
商店里最棒的售鞋店员
Well, you weren’t working as a shoe clerk out on that construction crew.
你可没在建筑队卖♥♥过鞋
Stick around, Vargas. I intend to.
留在这里 瓦格斯 我也这么想
In English! I don’t like to repeat myself.
用英语 我不想再说第二遍了
I merely asked him if I could use his telephone.
我只是请求他 让我用下电♥话♥
English.
讲英语
Translation – the telephone is in the bedroom, Senor.
翻译过来是 电♥话♥在卧室 先生
That’s all he said.
就这些
Also, he told me he thinks he’s in for some sort of third degree.
他还告诉我他认为自己要遭到严刑逼供
I assured him he had nothing to worry about.
我向他保证 什么也不用担心
Casey, go in with Vargas.
凯西和瓦格斯一起去
Maybe he don’t know how to use an American telephone.
他也许不知道怎么用美国的电♥话♥
I think I ran onto something here, Captain. Some love letters.
我想我找到了一些东西 探长 一些情书
Oh, you can read them in the bedroom.
哦 你可以在卧室里读它们
I don’t want to leave that Vargas guy alone.
我不想让瓦格斯一个人呆着
OK. Save the good stuff for me.
好的 把好东西留给我
Now, in English. What do you want to know?
现在 用英语… 你想知道什么?
Everything, the works. Let’s start with the shoe store.
想知道一切 让我们开始…
Want me to call the motel, Vargas? Later.
想让我打电♥话♥给汽车旅馆吗? 瓦格斯 过一阵吧
That’s how you met Linnekar’s daughter, in the shoe store?
你就是这样偶遇雷尼卡的女儿的?
Yeah, selling her shoes. And I’ve been at her feet ever since.
是的 向她兜售鞋时
Then the construction job.
此后我就跟着她了
You stayed just long enough on that one to get your hands on some dynamite.
然后是当建筑工 你有足够的时间拿些炸♥药♥
What are you scared of, boy?
你在害怕什么?
I’d only slap you again if you got hysterical again.
如果你歇斯底里 我只能再扇你一顿
It wouldn’t be anything brutal.
我不想动粗
Why, even back in the old days, we never tried to hurt people in the face.
即使在过去 我们也不伤人的脸
It marks ’em up. We gave it to ’em like this.
这会留下印子的 我们是这么干的
The boy’s getting a rough deal.
小伙子在遭暴打
He could even be innocent, you know?
他可能真是无辜的 你知道吗?
Intuition?
直觉吗?
Why not? Quinlan doesn’t have a monopoly on hunches.
为什么不行? 又不是光昆兰才有直觉
Well, who do you like for the killer?
你认为谁是凶手?
Too early to tell. Um, that ex-convict.
现在说还为时尚早 是犯过事的人
You mean out on that highway job?
你是说在高速路上工作的人?
Farnum. Maybe.
法内坶 也许吧
Wait a minute. Some dynamite was stolen.
等等 有一些炸♥药♥失窃了
Yeah, and that construction crew’s working for Linnekar.
是的 那个建筑队正为雷尼卡工作
Amigo, I think you’re onto something.
伙计 你猜到了一些事
Yes, it’s quite an apartment… for a shoe clerk.
嗯 对一个售货员来说 这套房♥子有点太…
Who pays for it? Marcia? What if she does?
谁为它付钱? 玛莎? 是她付的又怎么样?
Oh, how long has this been going on, eh?
已经有多长时间了?
Ever since her father had me fired from the last job, if you want to know.
自从她父亲上次把我炒了之后
Well, naturally he objected to having a Mexican shoe clerk for a son-in-law.
很自然 他拒绝一个卖♥♥鞋的墨西哥人作他女婿
So, naturally, you had to put him out of the way!
自然你只有让他别挡道
Naturally!
自然!
Now, just because he speaks a little guilty,
正是因为他说的一些有罪的话
that don’t make him innocent, you know?
让他不再清白了
You can show motive, yes.
他也许有动机
But don’t you need a bit more than that?
但你不需要更多的证据吗?
Oh, we’ll get it. Oh, there’s my coffee.
我们会得到的 我的咖啡来了
Didn’t you bring me any doughnuts or sweet rolls?
你没给我拿点油炸圈饼或小甜面包吗?
You’ll have to put him on the scene of the crime.
你得带他去犯罪现场
We will. You’ve got to have some evidence.
我们会的 你得有证据
We’ll get it. We’ll… Well?
我们会得到的 好了吧?
Well, you didn’t ask me to get any doughnuts, Captain.
你没叫我拿油炸圈饼 探长
Where are you going?
你去哪儿?
This is not my case, Captain.
这不是我的案子 探长
What finally convinced you of that?
是什么最终说服你了?
This is not my country, that’s all. I’m not convinced.
因为这不是我的国家 我没有被说服
Well, ain’t that a shame.
这可不是什么耻辱
Is there another phone near here? Right across the street.
附近还有别的电♥话♥吗? 就在街对面
Excuse me, madam. Could I use your telephone, please?
对不起 夫人 能用下你的电♥话♥吗?
Right in front of you.
就在你面前
Do you have a phone book?
你有电♥话♥簿吗?
I’m blind, mister. You’ll have to ask for Information.
我是盲人 先生 你得问一下
Oh, I’m sorry.
哦 对不起
Hello, I’d like the telephone number of the Mirador Motel.
喂? 我想知道”梅拉多” 汽车旅馆的电♥话♥号♥码
What is this place you’re taking me to? Get going!
你要带我去的这是什么地方? 走你的路
Now listen, this is ridiculous. Now, go on!
听着 这很荒谬 快走
Who’s this? Who are you? Don’t push.
这是谁? 你们是谁? 别推
Where’s Captain Quinlan? He’s in there making a search.
昆兰探长在哪里? 他正在那边搜查
What am I doing in here? Oh, Hank.
我在这里要做什么? 哦 汉克!
What’s the idea, barging in on me like this?
你这样打断我想干什么?
I’m sorry, Hank. Who you got in here?
抱歉 汉克 你带什么来了?
I forgot to give you your cane. All right, sit down.
我忘了给你你的拐杖 好的 坐吧
Queer thing, Hank.
可疑的事 汉克
When I was taking Mrs Vargas to the motel,
我认识他 我送瓦格斯夫人时
I picked this guy on the way.
在路上碰见的这家伙
I know him. It’s Uncle Joe Grandi.
是乔葛兰迪大叔
Why’d you bring him in here?
你为什么带他来这里?
For some crazy reason, he was following me in his car.
出于某个愚蠢的原因 他在开车跟踪我
He was tailing you? Yeah.
他在盯你的梢? 是啊
Why would I be following a cop? He’s an idiot.
我怎么会跟踪一个警♥察♥? 他真是个白♥痴♥
Maybe because you thought he was a Mexican cop.
也许因为你以为他是个墨西哥警♥察♥
Because you thought he was Vargas. He was driving Vargas’s car.
因为你以为他是瓦格斯 他开的是瓦格斯的车