上楼吧 躺下来
Come on upstairs, have a lie down.
喝点安♥眠♥药♥ 好吗
Have a few knock-out drops, eh?
我很不舒服
I feel sick.
来吧
Come on.
-我们上楼 -听见他说的了没 扶我起来
– Up we go. – You heard him. Lift me up.
我自己能行
I can do it!
放开我
Let go of me.
-抱歉 -抱歉
– Sorry. – Sorry.
亲爱的艾伦
Dear Ellen.
近来我们都感觉到前所未有的烦恼
We have been somewhat more harassed than usual lately.
罗宾逊先生去世 这给了勃兰威尔
The death of Mr Robinson has served Branwell for a pretext
让自己陷入混沌和迷乱的借口
to throw all about him into hubbub and confusion.
他变得让人难以容忍♥
He’s become intolerable.
他让父亲♥日♥夜不宁
To Papa he allows rest neither day nor night and
他不停挥霍父亲的钱
he’s continually screwing money out of him,
有时甚至威胁父亲
sometimes threatening that he’ll kill himself
如果不给他钱他就自杀
if it’s withheld from him.
-早上好 勃朗特小姐 -谢谢
– Morning, Miss Bronte. – Thank you.
你不仅瞎还蠢吗
Are you stupid as well as blind?
那里什么都没有
There’s nothing out there!
不能给我这样什么都干不好的人
Not for someone who’s fit for nothing, like me!
他说罗宾逊太太已经疯了
He says Mrs Robinson is now insane,
她彻底失去了理智
that her mind is a complete wreck,
她为对罗宾逊先生的所作所为而懊悔
owing to remorse for her conduct towards Mr Robinson,
她最终陷入了急剧的心神交瘁
whose end it appears was hastened by distress of mind,
与失去罗宾逊先生的悲痛中
and grief for having lost him.
我不知道他说的话几分真假
I do not know how much to believe of what he says.
他如今表示
He now declares that
他不能也不会为自己做任何事
he neither can nor will do anything for himself.
好机会不止一次出现在他面前
Good situations have been offered more than once,
有一项两周的工作他也许能够胜任
for which by a fortnight’s work he might have qualified himself,
但他除了喝酒和令我们难过 什么也不会做
but he will do nothing except drink and make us all wretched.
快告诉我它在哪
Just tell me where it is!
不能给你 求求你认清事实 你病了
Not for you. I beg you to recognise it – you are ill!
收到两封评论
Two reviews.
一封来自《评论家》另一封来自《雅典娜报》
One from The Critic, one from The Athenaeum.
都是匿名 但反响都相当好
Both anonymous, but both really, really quite good.
特别是对你的评价
Especially about you.
别具一格又饱含激♥情♥的诗 毫不忸怩作态
Refreshing, vigorous poetry, no sickly affectations,
不多愁善感 没有乏味的千篇一律的模仿
No namby-pamby, no tedious imitations of familiar strains.
他们还在争吵吗
Are they still fighting?
你能处理好吗
Are you going to be all right?
在我和爸爸去曼彻斯特的时间里
When I go to Manchester with Papa?
只有三个星期
It’s only three weeks.
我更担心他回来的时候
I’m more concerned about when he comes back.
他需要安静与休息 而不是…
He’ll need rest and quiet. Not…
你得到你想要的东西了是吗
Oh, did you get what you wanted?
你为自己骄傲吗
Yeah, you! Are you proud of yourself, eh?
从一位盲人那里骗钱 一位快70岁的老人
Wangling money out of a blind man? A man practically in his 70s.
-滚开 -回来再说一遍
– Fuck off. – Eh! Come back here and say that.
说啊 试试啊
Yeah, go on. Have a go.
-看看会怎样 -我没时间
– See what happens. – I haven’t time.
不吗 就欺负那位失明的老人吗
No? Just the blind and the elderly then, is it?
不然我会的
Otherwise I would.
你当然会
Course you would!
没事的
It’s nothing.
他刚刚打你了吗
Did he just hit you?
别大惊小怪
Don’t make a fuss.
我仍然打算在这周末前写完我的故事
I’m still aiming to get my story finished by the end of this week.
有一些片段我想再看一遍
There’s a handful of passages I’d like to look at again,
但取决于你和安妮进展如何
but then, depending on where you and Anne are with yours…
《教师》写完了 完成得刚好
Oh, The Professor’s finished. As much as it ever will be.
或许我们能计划着在你动身去曼彻斯特前
Perhaps we could aim to get them off to a publisher
把它们交给出版商
before you set off for Manchester.
艾米莉
Emily.
祝你好运
Good luck.
你也是
And you.
别让他着凉了
Keep him wrapped up, see.
-行李都放好了吗 -一切都没问题 爸爸
– All the bags on? – Everything’s under control, Papa.
-她听见我的话了吗 -我听见了
– Has she heard? – Yes! I’ve heard.
艾米莉 你知道枪在哪吗
Emily, Emily. You know where the gun is?
知道
Yes.
我们坐好了 谢谢
We’re all in. Thank you.
一知道地址我就马上写信给你
I’ll send you the address as soon as we know what it is.
走吧
Walk on!
勃兰威尔不知道枪在哪吧
Branwell doesn’t know where the gun is. Does he?
不会再知道了
Not any more.
他还在床上吗
Is he still abed?
愚蠢的问题
Daft question.
你不许给他钱
You give him no money.
无论他编了多惨的故事
Whatever sob stories he comes up with.
好吗
All right?
他不会打你的
He won’t hit you.
如果他打我 我会更用力地打回去
And if he hits me, I’ll hit him back. Harder.
亲爱的艾伦 我和爸周三来这里的
Dear Ellen. Papa and I came here on Wednesday.
当天我们就见了眼科医生威尔逊先生
We saw Mr Wilson, the oculist, the same day.
他说爸爸的眼睛适合接受手术
He pronounced Papa’s eyes quite ready for an operation
并且约好了下周一做手术
And has fixed next Monday for the performance of it.
亲爱的内尔 不要忘记那一天
Think of us on that day, dear Nell.
威尔逊先生说我们至少得呆在这里一个月
Mr Wilson says we will have to stay here a month at least.
那一定很乏味
It will be dreary.
真不知道可怜的艾米莉和安妮
I wonder how poor Emily and Anne
在家里怎么和勃兰威尔相处
will get on at home with Branwell.
谢谢
Thank you.
…目前不足以考虑出版
…not able at present to consider publication.
你觉得他们真的读了那些诗吗
Do you think they actually read them?
它们看着像被读过了吗
Do they look like they’ve been read?
名单上下一位是谁
Who’s next on the list?
查普曼和霍尔出版社 伦敦斯特兰街186号♥
Chapman and Hall, 186 Strand, London.
那天是没办法
There was no possibility…
出去散步的
of taking a walk that day.
《简·爱》 科勒·贝尔著
你觉得是不是不该
Do you think it’s wrong
写一些家庭方面的题材
to write about something very close to home?
比如
Like what?
一个女人
A woman…
被迫抛弃家庭 抛弃富裕的家庭
forced to abandon her home. A good, well-off home,
只是为了保护孩子和她自己
to protect her child and herself,
因为她的丈夫性情大变
because of a change in her husband’s character
当他沉溺于…
when he sinks into…
一些成瘾的行为
You know, addictive behaviour.
之后她被迫在社会上独自谋生
And then forced to make her own way in the world.
不 我觉得没问题
No. I don’t think it’s wrong.
要不是家里有一个这么好的”榜样”
I’d never have invented Hindley
我就不会创作出辛德雷
if I hadn’t been set such a fine example at home.
-你今天见到勃兰威尔了吗 -没有
– Have you seen Branwell today? – No.
那你听到他的消息了吗
Have you heard him?
一具尸体浮在水面上
I see a corpse upon the waters lie,
双目翻白 望向天空 肿胀无光
With eyes turned, swelled and sightless, to the sky
双臂伸展 随波浪漂荡
And arms outstretched, to move as wave on wave
被滔滔无边的坟墓托高
Upbears it in its boundless billowy grave.
并非时间 海水稀疏了它的头发
Not time, but Ocean thins its flowing hair;
腐烂裸♥露♥了它的额头 而非悲伤
Decay, not sorrow, lays its forehead bare;
它躯体漂浮 但并非徒劳
Its members move, but not in thankless toil,
因这海浪远比不过世上的惊涛
For seas are milder than this world’s turmoil.
腐烂夺走了它唇颊的绯红
Corruption robs its lip and cheeks of red,
但虚荣受损也无法让逝者忧伤
But wounded vanity grieves not the dead;
躯体四肢正加速腐烂
And, though those members hasten to decay,
但疼痛折磨带不走他们的力量
No pang of suffering takes their strength away;
幸免于难的眼睛 心灵和头脑
With untormented eye, and heart, and brain,
它在漂过平静和风暴中的汪♥洋♥