and the remaining son, John, in London, inherits everything
并让他讨厌的杰克·夏普立马交出财产
and gives Jack Sharp, who he’d never liked, notice to vacate the property forthwith.
但因为小约翰·沃克是财产的合法继承人
But John Walker Jr. has the law on his side,
所以在法庭上经过一番争辩后
and after enough wrangling, in court,
即使不甘愿 杰克·夏普也不得不交出财产
Jack Sharp has to vacate the property, whether he likes it or not.
但交出之前 他砸毁了房♥屋
But not before he’d trashed the place
还带走了一切有价值的东西
and taken anything of value.
家具 银器 盘子 甚至床单
Furniture… the silver, the plate, the linen.
你可以想象它们都经历了什么
You can only imagine what they all went through.
想象他内心的愤怒和怨恨
The anger and the bitterness.
之后杰克就在洛山建了一栋新房♥子
And then he built his own home, a new house. Here, at Law Hill.
人们都觉得房♥址是杰克精心挑选的
The spot chosen very carefully, people believed,
因为它正好俯瞰沃特谷庄园
because it looks down on Walterclough Hall.
而且他用从庄园偷的赃物装饰新家
And then he filled it with the stash he’d purloined from the Hall.
似乎想要引诱约翰·沃克来拿回这些东西
Like he was goading John walker to come and fetch it.
前提是他有那个胆量
If he dared.
-他有吗 -我觉得没有
– And did he dare? – I doubt it.
但杰克·夏普做的最坏的事还不止于此
But the worst thing Jack Sharp did,
老沃克先生的姐姐有个儿子
one of old Mr Walker’s sisters had a son,
名叫山姆·斯特德 那时已经长大了
grown up by then, called Sam Stead.
杰克·夏普培养他当学徒
And Jack Sharp apprenticed him in the trade,
就像老沃克先生曾经培养他一样
like he himself had been apprenticed by old Mr Walker.
而且他步步为营 精于算计
And he cleverly, calculatedly, bit by bit,
用赌博和酗酒引诱山姆·斯特德放纵堕落
indulged and degraded Sam Stead with gambling and drink,
而山姆也太过无用 一直听之任之
and the lad was too feckless to know any better.
他为何那么做
Why would he do that?
他那么做是想尽最大可能羞辱折磨沃克一家人
He did it to cause as much misery and humiliation to the Walkers as he could.
-这… -我知道 他的愤怒太过强烈
– That’s… – I know. All that anger. It’s so…rich.
如果我们要写小说 就得多买♥♥点纸
Anyway, if we’re writing novels. I imagine we’ll need more paper.
我们肯定不能用真名
Of course we’re not going to use our real names!
但一定要用男人的名字吗
But must they be men’s names?
如果是男作家 人们只会评价他的作品
When a man writes something, it’s what he’s written that’s judged.
但如果是女作家 人们则只会品评她这个人
When a woman writes something, it’s her that’s judged.
我们得仔细甄选要发表的诗
We must select the poems we want to use and then…
是的 如果想被别人严肃公平地对待
yes, if we’re to be taken seriously and judged fairly
让事情向有利的方向发展
and make anything resembling a profit…
我们必须隐于书后
We must walk invisible.
不如起没有性别特征的名字
What about names that are neither men’s nor women’s?
科勒·贝尔
埃利斯·贝尔
阿克顿·贝尔
亲爱的艾伦 我已于昨日两点过后
Dear Ellen. I reached home a little after 2 o’clock
平安到家
all safe and right yesterday.
艾米莉和安妮到基斯利去接我
Emily and Anne were gone to Keighley to meet me.
可惜我沿着老路回家了
Unfortunately, I had returned by the old road
而她们走的是新路 因此我们错过了
While they were gone by the new, and we missed each other.
我回来了
I’m back home.
夏洛蒂
Ah, Charlotte…
勃朗特小姐
Miss Bronte!
尼克斯先生
Mr Nicholls.
我去了勃兰威尔的房♥间 找他说话
I went into the room where Branwell was, to speak to him.
和他说话是一件非常令人头痛的事
It was very forced work to address him.
他毫不在意 我真不该给自己添堵
I might have spared myself the trouble as he took no notice…
勃兰威尔
Branwell?
也不回答
and made no reply.
勃兰威尔
Branwell.
他就像块木头
He was stupefied.
这是什么
What’s this?
勃兰威尔 这是什么
Branwell? What’s this?
那是寄给你的
That’s for you.
我不小心打开了 因为上面写着”绅士”
I opened it by mistake. It said “Esquire.”
给我
Give me that.
校稿
Proof pages!
你付了多少钱让他们给你出版的
How much are you paying them for the privilege of being published?
我想你肯定会付钱给他们
I assume you’re paying them.
你们肯定是合伙一起干的
I assume you’ve all clubbed together.
他们肯定不会付钱给你们
I assume they’re not paying you.
你真有病
You’ve been sick.
我既没承认也没否认 没有回答
I didn’t confirm or deny, I made no reply.
我才不在乎他知道我们付钱给他们
I don’t care about him knowing we’re paying them,
那只是帮我们达成目标的方法
it’s a means to an end as far as I’m concerned.
我担心的是他会不会把我们的事告诉别人
I care about him talking to people about us.
他若要参与进来 到哪里去凑钱呢
Where’s he got the money from anyway, to get into that state?
他昨天想问爸爸要钱 结果没成
He screwed a sovereign out of Papa, yesterday.
他说要搞什么出版的事 爸爸拒绝了
He claimed to have some pressing matter, and Papa said no.
接着他就把钱给了他
And the next thing you know he’s given it to him.
上帝知道怎么回事 他跑下山
God knows how or why and he’s trotting off down the hill
去黑公牛酒馆拿钱换了酒喝
to get it changed at the Black Bull.
也许等他清醒了
Perhaps, when he’s sober,
他根本不会记得见过我们的校稿
he’ll not even remember he’s seen our proof sheets.
我要写信给艾洛特和琼斯
I’ll write to Aylott and Jones
让他们更改一下我们以后的通信地址
and ask them to address our correspondence differently in future.
-他生气吗 勃兰威尔 -我们能怎么办
– Was he angry, Branwell? – What can we do?
他现在这样 我们得避开他 他太难对付了
We can’t include him, the way he is now! He’s unmanageable!
我们什么事都不能得到允许 也干不了
We’d never get anything agreed or done!
诺斯安格兰德怎么会想和自己姐妹一起出书呢
Anyway, why would Northangerland want to publish with his sisters?
他绝对无法承担费用
He certainly couldn’t afford to contribute to the costs.
我们这么做是对的 安妮
We’re doing the right thing, Anne.
这么做是很难
It’s hard, it’s tough,
但是很抱歉 他要是加入会拖我们后腿的
but I’m sorry, he’d drag us down with him if we let him.
走吧 你这大家伙
Right, come on, you big oaf.
去那边 走
That way. Shift.
你好 乔
Hello, Joe.
不是吧
Well, I never.
你好吗 朋友
How y’doing, lad?
今天早上我就没歇过
I’ve resolved this morning to keep myself busy.
很好
Good.
很好
Good!
我也是
Me too.
我觉得我该去见约翰·弗罗比歇
I thought I’d go and see John Frobisher.
我也许需要写写东西谱个曲
I thought I might write something to set to music.
他就是我要找的人 他还在这 对吧
And he’d be the man. He is still here, isn’t he?
-在教堂吗 -据我所知是的
– At the church? – So far as I know, yeah.
你不准备出国了吗
Have y’not thought any more about going abroad?
不了
Not… No…
我觉得没什么必要
I haven’t seen any vacancies,
至少…
at least nothing, you know…
按现在的情况看没有必要
not with the way things are at the moment.
家里怎么样
How are things at home?
就像是和一群
It’s like living with people
语言不通的人住在一起
who don’t speak the same language as I do.
说真的 乔 我甚至可以和
Honestly, Joe. I could be with some tribe
地球上偏远的角落里
from some far flung corner of the globe
与我有些许共同点的部落一起生活
for all I have in common with them.
他们看不起我
They despise me,
而我
and I…
我还住在那儿只是因为我是个穷光蛋
I only live there because I’m such a fucking pauper.
她们得嫁出去 她们三个
They need to get married, those three.
不过 谁会要她们呢
Only, who’d have ’em?
谁会要我们任何一个人呢
Who’d have any of us?
我们一家人真是可笑
What a ridiculous set we’ve become.
我们家以前很和睦的
And we used to be quite a nice little family.
乔 她…她真的爱我 莉迪亚
She…she does love me, you know, Joe, Lydia.
这样啊 我不知道
Yeah. Well… You know, I don’t know.
我不在场 我没法说
I wasn’t there, I can’t say.
我知道所有人都觉得我…
I know everyone thinks I’m…
天知道 但如果你见到她
God knows, but if you saw her,
哪怕是一瞥 你也会明白的
if only for a moment, you’d get it, you’d see.
我会明白什么
What would I see?
她是那种可以改变一个男人一生的女人
That she’s the kind of woman that can change a man’s life.
改变他的一切…所有
His whole…everything.
你得向前看 而不是回头看
You’ve got to look forward, though, eh? Not back.