Yet, she also has too much dignity
知道尊重别人的东西
and respect for other people’s things!
我不该… 我知道
I shouldn’t have…I know.
但我不觉得抱歉 不 我很抱歉
But I’m not sorry. I mean, I am sorry!
听着 艾米莉
Look, Emily.
你的诗
Your poems are…
简直精彩绝伦
They’re extraordinary.
我知道这是你的隐私 你的个人物品
I know they’re private, I know they’re personal –
它是什么都行
they’re 1,001 things,
但绝对不应该是被藏起来的东西
but they’re not something to keep hidden.
我承认我是出于好奇
I admit it was curiosity,
但绝对不是无聊的好奇
but not idle curiosity, I hope,
-而是更崇高的理由 -崇高
– but something more…noble. – Noble?!
闯进别人的卧室 乱翻别人的东西
Going in people’s bedrooms? Going through people’s things?
没有哪个女人 哪个人写出过这样的诗
No woman, no-one, has ever written poetry like this!
我读到过的 想得起来的 出版了的
Nothing I’ve read, nothing I can think of,
没有一首诗比得上你的
nothing published, is its equal.
艾米莉 它们与众不同
Emily…they’re exceptional.
让人震惊
They’re…astonishing.
我读的时候都不敢喘气
I couldn’t breathe when I was reading them.
我知道你很生气
I know you’re angry
我知道我的行为不可原谅
and I know what I did is unforgivable.
除了 拜托 根本不是那样的
Except, please, see that it isn’t.
你让我恶心
You…disgust me.
你想象不到你有多让我恶心
You can’t begin to imagine how much.
你不准再进我的房♥间 你不准跟我说话
You stay out of my room and you don’t speak to me.
你不准跟我说任何话
You don’t speak to me generally
更不准你跟我提
and you don’t speak to me specifically
你那错误的招人烦的卑鄙的出版计划
about your misguided, tedious, grubby little publishing plans.
这到底是怎么回事
What on earth is the matter?
她闯进别人的卧室 乱翻别人的东西
She has been in people’s bedrooms going through people’s things!
我要给卧室加把锁
I’m putting a lock on that door!
她 怎么回事
She? What happened?
-夏洛蒂 -没事
– Charlotte? – Nothing.
没什么事 我进去她的房♥间了
It was nothing. I went in her bedroom.
勃兰威尔去哪儿了
And, um, where is Branwell?
-哈利法克斯 -哪儿
– Halifax. – He’s where?
哈利法克斯
Halifax.
他什么时候回来 今晚吗
Oh. And is he due in? Tonight?
我们需要锁后门吗
Or have we to lock the back door?
我想他带着钥匙
I imagine he’s taken a key.
好吧
Right.
好吧 是我不对
All right! I made a mistake.
可我并没有错
Except I didn’t!
它们…
They’re…
你读过吗
Have you read them?
没有
No.
她从没让我读过
She’s never asked me to.
她提到你”卑鄙的出版计划”是什么意思
What did she mean about your “grubby little publishing plans?”
它们也很吸引人
They’re not without charm.
我不仅作了诗 你知道吗
It’s not just the poems, you see.
我还在写这个
I’m writing this, too.
这是本小说
It’s a novel.
不是关于贡达尔和加尔达恩岛的
It’s not Gondal and Gaaldine.
它是关于真实世界发生的事
It’s more about how things are in the real world.
一个家庭教师的故事 都是
It’s about being a governess, it’s all…
我的所见所闻
things I’ve seen and heard and witnessed.
-关键是 你看… -写的很好
– The thing is, you see, I… – This is beautifully written.
我愿意
I would be ready.
试着出版 我会承担失败的风险
To try and publish. I would be ready to risk failure.
谁会知道呢 这是我们一生的成就
And who knows? This is what we’ve done all our lives.
写作 我们靠脑力生活
Write. We’ve lived in our heads.
我觉得出版作品不是贪图钱财
I don’t regard the attempt to do something with it as venal.
我们发现这么做的挑战性如此巨大
It’s more venal selling ourselves as governesses
宣传自己家庭教师的身份 益处会更多
when we find it such a trial.
只要我们小心翼翼地 聪明地处理
So long as we approached it carefully, wisely,
-不要自作聪明 那我们一定 -计划是
– and not make fools of ourselves, then surely… – The plan…
刚开始先发表一册诗集
would be to try to publish a volume of poetry first.
然后 如果它能取得小小的成功
And, then, if that met with a modicum of success,
并且其中某一首诗出名了
and something of a name was established,
那么我们可以冒险出部小说
then we could each risk a work of fiction.
关于布鲁塞尔的东西我已经写够了
I’ve toyed with writing something about…Brussels.
我都不知道规矩是不是这样
I mean, I don’t even know if that’s the etiquette.
但是我可以给出版社写信来一探究竟
But I could write to a publishing house and find out.
你的诗写得不错
Your poems are competent…
富有吸引力 我本人不擅长作诗
and charming. And I’m no great poet myself,
但如果艾米莉肯出力的话 就可以把
but Emily’s contribution could elevate a small volume
这册薄薄的诗集
into something…
提升到人们愿意花钱去买♥♥的地步
actually worth spending a few shillings on.
-我同情她 -为什么
– I feel sorry for her. – Why?
和同情勃兰威尔的理由一样
Same reason I feel sorry for Branwell.
作为家里的老大 人们对她期望太高了
So much is expected of her. Being the eldest.
她甚至都不是最年长的 阴差阳错而已
And not even the eldest. By accident the eldest.
专横跋扈
Bossiest.
玛利亚和伊丽莎白活着的时候她就很专横
She was bossy when Maria and Elizabeth were still alive,
我记得 很清楚
I remember it. Vividly.
就是专横跋扈才阻碍了她的成长
It’s being so bossy that’s stunted her growth.
她很有野心
She’s ambitious.
对我们所有人
For all of us.
我觉得这并没有错
And I can see nothing wrong with that.
我知道有人觉得这很庸俗
I realise some people might think it’s vulgar,
但是 艾米莉
but, Emily,
我们天生有写作的才华 如果我们谨慎又聪明
we were born writing, and if we’re cautious, if we’re clever,
我们确实谨慎聪明 如果我们隐藏真名和性别
and we are, and if we disguise our real selves and our sex…
好了 干完了
Right, that’s done.
塔比 我要下山去了
Tabby! I’m off down the…hill.
很神奇在乡下时人们都认为她很安静
It’s wonderful how quiet they all think she is in village
而她在家时又如此吵闹
and how loud she is at home.
如果你愿意的话 可以一起来
You can come with me, if you want.
你想过写些关于贡达尔以外的东西吗
Have you ever thought about writing something that’s not Gondal?
不是关于公主和国王的 而是
Something more…not princesses and emperors, more just…
一些真实世界发生的事
what happens in the real world.
我在哈利法克斯 洛山的那个学校工作时
You know when I worked in Halifax? At that school at Law Hill.

Yes.
管理学校的帕切特小姐 她给我讲了这个故事
Miss Patchett, that ran it, she told me this tale.
而且我觉得这能写成故事 编成小说
And I’ve often thought it’d make a story. A novel.
是讲什么的
What was it about?
是讲一个叫杰克·夏普的人的
This man, this lad. Jack Sharp.
我从没跟你说过吗
Have I never told you this?
虽然它是我们的舒适的住所
It serves us well enough,
但并不是一栋很漂亮的建筑
but it’s not an attractive building, I know.
然而它的由来却很有趣
It has a rather curious history.
六十年前 它是为泄恨而建
It was built out of spite, apparently, 60 years ago,
建造的人名叫杰克·夏普
by a man called Jack Sharp.
有一家姓沃克的人
So, there’s this family, the Walkers.
他们在哈利法克斯拥有一座很大的沃特谷庄园
They own Walterclough Hall, this big house, just above Halifax,
他们世代居住于此
it’s been in the family for generations.
他们是羊毛制♥造♥商 这没什么稀奇
They’re woollen manufacturers – aren’t they all?
约翰·沃克有两男两女四个孩子
Anyway, John Walker has four children, two boys and two girls,
他还领养了他的侄子 也就是杰克·夏普
and he’s adopted this nephew, Jack Sharp.
两个儿子理查德和约翰 受过良好的教育
Richard and John, the two sons, were educated well,
两人都在伦敦工作生活
and they ended up making their livings in London.
杰克则和格蕾丝及玛丽两个女孩留在家乡
Jack stayed at home with the girls, Grace and Mary,
他叔叔培养他接管家族生意
and he was trained up to take over the family business
大家对这个安排都很满意
which suited everyone,
因为实际上他一直是老沃克先生最喜欢的孩子
because, it seems, he’d always been old Mr Walker’s favourite, the truth be told.
长子理查德出事死去后
Then when Richard, the eldest son, dies in some tragic accident somewhere,
老沃克先生决定离开这个地方
old Mr Walker decides to leave the district
并让杰克掌管家族生意和沃特谷庄园
and he leaves Jack in charge of his business and Walterclough Hall.
然而没过几年 老沃克先生也死了
Eventually, some years later, old Mr Walker himself dies,
另一个住在伦敦的儿子约翰继承了所有财产

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!