It’s all right.
先生们 我收到了你们的来信
Gentlemen. I have received your communication
第五次 对此我深表感谢
Of the 5th instant, for which I thank you.
您因《教师》一书
Your objection to the want
缺乏多样化趣味而提出异议
of varied interest in The Professor is,
我很清楚 这并非毫无理由
I am aware, not without grounds.
现在 我用三卷完成了第二个故事
I have a second narrative in three volumes now completed,
努力赋予它一种比《教师》一书中蕴含的
to which I have endeavoured to impart a more vivid interest
更生动的趣味
than belongs to The Professor.
现经铁路寄给您一份手稿
I send you per rail a manuscript,
题名为《简·爱》
entitled Jane Eyre,
简·爱
作者 柯勒·贝尔
这是一部三卷本小说 作者是科勒·贝尔
A novel in three volumes by Currer Bell.
简·爱
自传
作者 柯勒·贝尔
呼啸山庄
小说
作者 埃利斯·贝尔
艾格尼丝·格雷
小说
作者 阿克顿·贝尔
我们俩有一个人不能活着离开这间屋子
One of us is not going to leave that room alive!
要么我杀了你 要么我就自杀
I will either kill you or I will kill myself!
你想让我自杀吗
Do you want me to kill myself? Eh?
如果我那么做了 老家伙
Cos if I do, old man,
你大可放心
you can rest assured
都是你没完没了的祈祷和胡言乱语
that you’ll have driven me to it
把我害成这样的
with your endless prayers and your drivel!
难道你不明白 难道你不知道吗
Can you not understand, can you not get the idea
只有一件事…
that the only…
只有一件事能缓解我活着的痛苦
only respite I have from the misery of my existence
就是让我喝点酒
is being allowed a little bit of something to drink.
我只要一先令 求你看在上帝的份上
I’m only asking for a shilling, for God’s sake!
给… 拿走吧
Just…just take it.
他会一直纠缠不休
He’ll just go on and on until
直到他得到想要的东西
he gets what he wants anyway.
可我…
And I just…
我不总是有精力去应付他…
I don’t always have the energy…
再也不会了
any more.
我知道我曾说过的这个矛盾
I know this is contradicting what I’ve said before,
但是…
but…
另做打算有时会好过最初的想法
My second thoughts are, occasionally, better than my first ones.
我认为你该告诉爸爸《简·爱》出版了
I think you should tell Papa about Jane Eyre.
告诉他这部小说有多成功
About how successful it’s been.
为什么
Why?
我想这会让他明白
I think it would help him to know
我们现在似乎找到了养活自己的办法
that we now seem to have found a means of supporting ourselves,
很可能 以防… 他万一出什么事
possibly, in the event of… whenever something happens to him.
为什么要说《简·爱》
Why Jane Eyre?
不 我们要把一切都告诉他
No, we’ll tell him about everything,
只是用它做个引子
but just…as a way in.
可那样的话… 他会读到它
But then…he’ll read it.
现在就说吗
Now?
请进
Hello?
爸爸
Papa?
您现在有空吗
Have you got a moment?
有 快说吧
Yeah, quickly.
我…
I’ve…
我… 我在写一部书
I’ve…I’ve been writing a book.
-这部书… -好啊
– A book. And… – Oh, well…
你想读一读吗
Would you like to read it?
不 不行
No, I can’t.
我没时间
I don’t have time.
而且你知道 你的字太小 我看不清
And you know, with your tiny, little writing, I can’t see it.
不过 干得好
But well done.
问题是 你看…
The thing is, you see…
这本书已经出版了
it’s published.
它已经出版了
It’s been published,
是正式出版… 是一部三卷本
it’s a properly published… it’s a book in three volumes.
不错嘛
Well, well!
科勒·贝尔
Currer Bell.
不 他很知名 他是…
No, he’s famous, he’s…
不 那就是我
No, that’s me.
那就是你 怎么会是你
That’s you? What’s you?!
因为…
That…
我是用笔名发表的
I’ve published under a pseudonym.
科勒·贝尔 我们名字首字母缩写是相同的
Currer Bell. You see, it’s the same initials.
关键是 这书马上要再版了
And the thing is, it’s just about to go into a second edition.
这书已经卖♥♥出去了好多本了
It’s…sold a lot of copies.
这绝对是不同寻常的成功
It’s been really quite unusually successful.
在我们说话这工夫 已经有一部
There’s a stage play of it
由它改编的话剧正在一家剧院排练
in rehearsal as we speak
事实上是维多利亚剧院
at a theatre in… the Victoria Theatre, in fact,
在伦敦
in London.
它非常
It’s been so, um…
受大众欢迎
hugely well received.
但是我
But I…
所以 你是
So…you’re…?
-你是 -是的
– You’re…?! – Yes.
而且我赚了些钱
And…I’ve made money.
而且有希望赚更多的钱
With the prospect of making quite a lot more.
如果我们 如果我继续努力写作
And if we…if I continue to work hard
创造这样的作品
and produce the kind of writing
让人们愿意买♥♥来看
that people are prepared to pay money for,
就能让我们过得更舒适
then it should furnish us with a comfortable existence.
你想不想让我读些书评
Would you like me to read you some of the reviews?

Well, I…
为什么你们要对此保密呢
Why have you kept it such a secret?
为了保护我们自己
To protect ourselves.
我们被无端指责成庸俗粗鲁
We’ve been accused of vulgarity and coarseness.
我已经”失去了
I have “forfeited my right
被称为女士的权利”
to be called a member of the fairer sex”
用伊斯特莱克女士的话来说
according to Lady Eastlake,
她推测科勒·贝尔可能实际上是个女子
who speculates that Currer Bell might actually be a woman
并可能策划一场席卷全欧洲的革命
and complicit in the revolutions throughout Europe.
我们绝不犹豫地说 这种中心思想的论调
We do not hesitate to say that the tone of mind and thought
颠覆权威 亵渎各类法典
Which has overthrown authority and violated every code –
人类的 神明的 国外的
Human and divine – abroad,
在国内种下人♥民♥宪♥章♥运动和反叛的种子
And fostered Chartism and rebellion at home,
这种思想《简·爱》这本书里也有
Is the same which has also written Jane Eyre.
《简·爱》
Jane Eyre.
-这书为什么是粗俗的 -不是的 爸爸
– And why is it vulgar? – It isn’t, Papa!
人们只是对于真♥相♥和真实的生活心存畏惧
People are just squeamish about the truth, about real life.
我们的作品是睿智的 是诚实的
Our work is clever. It’s truthful.
它是创新的 是生动精巧又直率坦白的
It’s new, it’s fresh, it’s vivid and subtle and forthright.
但是 更重要的是
But…more importantly, the point is…
我们不希望勃兰威尔知道
We didn’t want Branwell to know.
这是我们保密的首要原因
That’s first and foremost why we’ve kept it a secret.
并不是说他会抨击我们 我们受得了这个
It’s not that he’d be scathing, we can stand that.
只是因为这是他一直梦寐以求的事
It’s because it’s what he always wanted to do.
但现在看来他越来越不可能做到了
And now it looks less and less likely that he ever will,
这会像是伤口上撒盐
it’d be like rubbing salt into a wound.
没有人能知道我们到底是谁
No-one can ever know who we are.
我们都同意的
We’ve agreed.
我们只是不想让你担心
We just didn’t want you to worry that we weren’t
觉得我们没有做些什么
doing anything with ourselves,
因为我们做了 我们一直在做着
because we have been. We are!
除了我以外 还有谁知道
So, who else knows, besides me?
-没有人 -我甚至没有告诉艾伦
– No-one. – I’ve not even told Ellen.
塔比呢
Tabby?
-没有人 -甚至出版商都不知道我们是谁
– No-one. – The publishers don’t even know who we are.
他们以为我们是三个男人
They think we’re three men.
我们希望能保持这样
We’d like to keep it that way.
我们只是希望你能知道真♥相♥
We just wanted you to know.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!