Miss Mayella were on the porch, like she said she were.
她叫我过去帮她个忙
She said for me to come there and help her a minute.
于是,我进了篱笆
Well, I went inside the fence,
环顾周围 找要干的活儿
and I looked around for some kindlin’ to work on,
但是确什么都没有看到
but I didn’t see none.
然后她说进到房♥间里面去 说是有扇门需要修理
Then she said to come in the house, she has a door needs fixin’.
于是我就跟着她 察看那扇门…
So I follows her inside, and I looked at the door…
它看起来没什么
and it looked all right.
然后她关了门
Then she shut the door.
我一直在想为什么周围那么安静
All the time I was wondering why it was so quiet.
突然我想起来了
Then it come to me.
周围一个孩子都不在
There was not a child on the place.
我说,”玛耶拉小姐,孩子们在哪里?”
And I said, “Miss Mayella, where are the children?”
她说 “它们都去买♥♥冰激淋去了”
She said, “They all gone to get ice cream.”
她说她花了一年时间攒了七个硬币 终于攒齐了
She said it took her a year to save seven nickels, but she’d done it.
所以孩子们都去镇里面了
And they’d all gone to town.
你然后说什么?
What did you say then?
嗯,我好像是说…
Well, I said something like…
“为什么,玛耶拉小姐 你对孩子们真好”
“Why, Miss Mayella, that’s right nice of you to treat ’em.”
她说,”你这样认为么?”
She said, “You think so?”
于是,我说,”我要走了” 因为我什么都帮不了她
Well, I said, “l best be goin’.” I couldn’t do nothin’ for her.
她说我可以
And she said I could.
我问她帮她什么
I asked her what.
她说就站在那边那个凳子上…
And she said to just step on the chair yonder…
从衣橱顶把那个盒子拿下来
and get that box down from on top of the chifforobe.
于是我照她说的去做
So I done like she told me,
当我正拿…
and I was reachin’…
我突然发现 她抓住了我的双腿
when the next thing I knows, she grabbed me around the legs.
[人群低语]
[Crowd Murmuring]
我非常吃惊 我跳下凳子,凳子翻倒了
She scared me so bad, I hopped down and turned the chair over.
那就是唯一的东西…
That was the only thing–
唯一的家具… 那间屋子里我弄乱的,芬奇先生
only furniture– disturbed in the room, Mr. Finch,
我发誓,在我离开那里时
I swear, when I left it.
你把凳子弄翻时发生了什么?
And what happened after you turned the chair over?
汤姆?
Tom?
你已经发誓说实话 是么?
You’ve sworn to tell the whole truth. Will you do it?
那之后发生了什么?
What happened after that?
芬奇先生
Mr. Finch,
我跳下登子
I got down off the chair,
转过身…
and I turned around…
她好像是跳到我身上
and she sorta jumped on me.
搂着我的腰
She hugged me around the waist.
她起来亲我的脸
She reached up and kissed me on the face.
她说她以前从没有亲过成年男人…
She said she’d never kissed a grown man before…
她可以亲我
and she might as well kiss me.
她让我也亲她
She says for me to kiss her back,
我说 “玛耶拉小姐,让我出去”
and I said, “Miss Mayella, let me outta here,”
我试图跑出去
and I tried to run.
依威尔先生在窗口骂她
Mr. Ewell cussed at her from the window.
他说腰杀死她
He said he’s gonna kill her.
[阿提克斯]之后发生了什么?
[Atticus]And what happened after that?
我跑的很快 不知道发生了什么
I was runnin’ so fast, I don’t know what happened.
汤姆,你强♥奸♥了玛耶拉.依威尔吗?
Tom, did you rape Mayella Ewell?
我没有,长官
I did not, sir.
[阿提克斯]你有没有弄伤她?
[Atticus]Did you harm her in any way?
没有,长官
I did not, sir.
罗宾逊
Robinson,
你熟练用一只手劈衣橱和木柴,是吗?
you’re pretty good at bustin’ up chifforobes and kindlin’ with one hand, aren’t ya?
有足够的力气去掐一个女士 并把她抛到地上吗?
Strong enough to choke the breath out of a woman and sling her to the floor?
我从来没有做那些,长官 – 但是你很强壮
I never done that, sir. – But you’re strong enough to.
我想可以,长官 – 嗯
I reckon so, sir. – Mm-hmm.
为什么你那么热心去帮那个女人做家务
How come you so all fired anxious to do that woman’s chores?
看起来,没有别人帮她做
Looks like she, she didn’t have nobody to help her.
就像我说的,她…
Like I said, she–
和依威尔先生,还有七个孩子一起住
With Mr. Ewell and seven children on the place?
你纯粹是出于好心去做那些活儿的吗?
You did all this choppin’ and work out of sheer goodness, boy?
[咯咯笑]看起来你真是个大好人
[Chuckles]You’re a mighty good fella, it seems.
一分钱也不想要吗?
Did all that for not one penny?
是的,长官 我觉得对不起她
Yes, sir. I felt right sorry for her.
她好像… – [笑声]
She seemed– – [Gilmer Chuckling]
你觉得对不起她?
You felt sorry for her?
一个白人妇女?
A white woman?
你觉得对不起她?
You felt sorry for her?
[人群低语]
[Crowd Murmuring]
[嘈杂继续]
[Murmuring Continues]
首先
To begin with,
这个案子就不应该上庭
this case should never have come to trial.
州政♥府♥根本就没有呈上一任何…
The State has not produced one iota…
医学证据…
of medical evidence…
来证明 汤姆.罗宾逊 的罪名…
that the crime Tom Robinson is charged with…
成立
ever took place.
而只是依靠…
It has relied, instead,
两个证人的证词…
upon the testimony of two witnesses…
对他们的证词没有进行正式的…
whose evidence has not only been called into serious question…
盘问
on cross-examination,
他们的证词与被告的明显抵触
but has been flatly contradicted by the defendant.
有明显的旁证显示…
There is circumstantial evidence to indicate that…
玛耶拉.依威尔曾遭到痛打…
Mayella Ewell was beaten savagely…
被某个人用,且仅用,左手
by someone who led, almost exclusively, with his left.
汤姆.罗宾逊 现在就坐在你面前 已经发誓…
Tom Robinson now sits before you having taken the oath…
用他仅有的正常的一只手
with the only good hand he possesses,
他的右手
his right.
我心中只有同情…
I have nothing but pity in my heart…
对于我们的第一证人
for the chief witness for the State.
她是严重贫苦和无知的受害者
She is the victim of cruel poverty and ignorance.
但是我的同情…
But my pity…
并不包括…
does not extend so far…
她把一个男人的生命送上绞架
as to her putting a man’s life at stake,
为了试图逃避自己的内疚
which she has done in an effort to get rid of her own guilt.
现在我说”内疚”,先生们
Now I say “guilt,” gentlemen,
因为是内疚驱使她
because it was guilt that motivated her.
她没有犯罪
She’s committed no crime.
她只是打破了一个僵硬呆板的…
She has merely broken a rigid and time-honored…
我们的社会规则…
code of our society–
一个非常严厉的规则 谁打破它都将遭受鄙视…
a code so severe that whoever breaks it is hounded from our midst…
被认为有伤风化
as unfit to live with.
她不得不毁灭证据…
She must destroy the evidence…
有关她的过失
of her offense.
但是她的过失的证据是什么呢?
But what was the evidence of her offense?
汤姆.罗宾逊,一个人
Tom Robinson, a human being.
她必须摆脱 汤姆.罗宾逊
She must put Tom Robinson away from her.
汤姆.罗宾逊 会使她每天都想起…
Tom Robinson was to her a daily reminder…
自己的所做所为…
of what she did.
现在,她做了什么?
Now, what did she do?
他引诱了一个黑人
She tempted a Negro.
她是个白人,然而她引诱一个黑人
She was white, and she tempted a Negro.
她做了一些在我们社会中不能形容的事情
She did something that, in our society, is unspeakable.
她亲了一个黑人
She kissed a black man.
不是年老的伯父
Not an old uncle,
而是一个强壮的、年轻的黑人男子
but a strong, young Negro man.
如果她不打破那个规则 就什么事情都没有
No code mattered to her before she broke it,
但是一旦她做了 就绝对会有麻烦
but it came crashing down on her afterwards.
控方证人,除了 梅岗镇警长
The witnesses for the State, with the exception of the sheriff of Maycomb County.
在你们这些绅士们面前 在这个法庭之上…
have presented themselves to you gentlemen, to this court…
非常确信…
in the cynical confidence…
他们的证词不会受到质疑
that their testimony would not be doubted.
确信你们这些绅士们会认同他们…
Confident that you gentlemen would go along with them…
在那个假设之上…
on the assumption–
那个可怕的假设…
the evil assumption–
所有的黑人都撒谎
that all Negroes lie,
所有的黑人天生都是邪恶的

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!