It’s too arty for Broadway.
游客不会愿意掏出50美元
Tourists aren’t gonna shell out 50 dollars
观看宇宙飞船和机器人的音乐剧
to see a show about spaceships and robots.
那部剧的内容不是这样的
Um… That’s not what it’s about. Um…
我当然知道 乔纳森
Well, of course, I know that, Jonathan.
但制♥作♥人只在乎能否有回报
But you know these producers, they care about one thing and one thing only.
好的 外百老汇呢
Okay. Uh… So what about Off-Broadway?
这对外百老汇来说太贵了
It’s too expensive for Off.
你需要众多演员 还得加上特效…
You got a cast of thousands, with the special effects…
查理 告诉他我马上就来
Uh… Charlie, tell him I’ll be on in a sec.
-我得走了 -我很抱歉 罗莎
-Listen, sweetie, I gotta run. -I’m sorry, Rosa…
恭喜你 演示会很精彩
Congratulations on a terrific presentation.
罗莎 等等
Rosa, Rosa, hold on.
那么…
So, okay…
我现在该怎么做
So what am I supposed to do now?
你开始写下一部剧
You start writing the next one.
写完了就再写一部
And after you finish that one, you start on the next.
剧作家的生涯就是 连续不断的写作 亲爱的
And on and on, and that’s what it is to be a writer, honey.
你得一直投稿
You just keep throwing them against the wall
希望最终能有回应
and hoping against hope that eventually, something sticks.
作为在这行打滚多年的老鸟 让我给你一个忠告吧
Little advice from someone who’s been in this business a long, long time?
下一部剧尝试写你了解的事
On the next one, maybe try writing about what you know.
知道吗 小子
Okay, kiddo?
好的
Yeah.
快动笔吧
Start sharpening those pencils.
好的
Yeah, yeah.
我们不如缓一缓 看下周有什么进展
I think let’s give it a minute and see what happens next week.
嘿 我需要一份工作
Hey, I need a job.
-你能稍等一下吗 -我愿意跟研究小组的女士道歉
-Can you hold on a second? -I’ll apologize to the focus group lady.
我发誓不再数落营销行业
I will never say anything bad about marketing research ever again, I swear to God.
我等一下再回你电♥话♥
I’m gonna call you right back.
我要做你在做的事
I wanna do what you do. I wanna have what you have.
我要宝马也要有门卫 我要拥有这一切 行吗
I want the BMW, I want the doorman, I want it, I want all of it. Okay?
-发生什么事了 -一切都好
-What’s going on? -Oh, it’s good. It’s good.
我用尽八年时间写了 一部永远不会成功的音乐剧
I just spent the last eight years killing myself on a musical that’s never gonna happen.
那实在难以置信 今早的表演精彩极了
I find that very hard to believe. It was incredible this morning.
但显然还不够精彩
Well…But not incredible enough.
我没法再重来一遍 迈克
I can’t do it again, Mike.
我不能忍♥受再做五年的服务员
I can’t stomach five more years of waiting tables,
再投入五年时间写没人愿意看的东西
five more years of writing things that no one will ever see
而百老汇却频频推出 没有一丝原创性的大型音乐剧
while Broadway just churns out mega-musicals without a hint of even the slightest thing original
对这个世界一点意义也没有
or, God forbid, something to actually say about the world!
你说完了吗
Are you done?
-还没有 -演示会很精彩
-No, actually– -The presentation, Jon, it was amazing.
你若放弃自己的天赋才可悲
It would be a tragedy to give up what you have.
-你也这么做了 -拜托
– You did it. – Please!
我只是个平庸的演员
I was a mediocre actor.
你知道纽约有多少平庸的演员吗
Do you know how many mediocre actors there are in New York City?
但你知道有几个乔纳森拉森吗
Do you know how many Jonathan Larsons there are?
仅有一位
One.
我不能一直浪费时间 迈克
I can’t keep wasting my time, Mike.
-我过两天就年满三十了 -那又怎么样
-I turn 30 in two days. -And?
斯蒂芬桑德海姆二十七岁 就迎来在百老汇的第一场演出
And Stephen Sondheim was 27 when he had his first show on Broadway.
你不是斯蒂芬桑德海姆 再等一下
Well, guess what? You’re not Stephen Sondheim. Wait a little longer–
-我的人生不能一直等待 -我明白
I’m not waiting anymore. I can’t keep waiting. This is my life.
不 你不明白 我没时间了
-I understand. -No, you don’t. I’m running out of time.
-你有的是时间 -你什么都不知道
-You are not running out of time. -You don’t know anything about it.
我感染艾滋病毒了
I’m HIV-positive.
什么
What?
-你知道多久了 -就在几天前
-How long have you known? -A few days.
谁知道呢 或许我会是幸运的那个
Who knows? I might get lucky. People do.
能活一年或许更久
Live a year, longer even.
我对于没时间这件事很有感触
Anyway, I think I might know a thing or two about running out of time.
你为什么没告诉我
Why didn’t you tell me sooner?
我没理你
You tried.
吉尔克莱默在第二线
Jill Kramer returning, line two.
我得接这个电♥话♥
I have to take that.
-迈克… -我现在不想谈论这件事
-Mike– -I can’t talk about this now, please.
吉尔 我是迈克
Jill. Hey, it’s Michael.
我想知道当妮品牌的案子进展如何
Yeah, I just want to see how the Downy account was going.
我想起遇见迈克的那一天
I think of the day I met Michael.
那是二十二年前在露营地的第一天
It was the first day at sleep-away camp, 22 years ago.
我们当时八岁
We were eight.
我想起在高中时一起参与的演出
I think of high school, all the shows we did together.
这才是真实的生活吗
♪ Is this real life? ♪
我想起那个夏天 我们的父母决定搬来
I think of the summer that our parents decided to stay
科德角的同一个小镇 彼此相距1.5公里
in the same town in Cape Cod, a mile away from each other.
我们每晚都相约在海滩上
And we’d meet on the beach every night and, um…
一直聊到凌晨3点 说着自己对未来的展望
we’d just sit there talking till three in the morning about our plans.
我们说要一同搬到城市
About how one day we were gonna move to the city together and…
找个廉价的公♥寓♥ 等着被发掘
…find a cheap apartment and be discovered,
并改变世界
and change the world.
嘿 你已接通苏珊 贝丝…
Hey, you’ve reached Susan, Beth–
我想起大学的第一个夏天
I think of the first summer back from college.
我们在防波堤上抽大♥麻♥ 迈克告诉我他是同性恋
We smoked a bowl on Kennedy breakwater and Michael told me he was gay.
我想起我们众多的朋友
I think of our friends, so many.
我想起他们的葬礼
I think of their funerals.
他们不到五十岁的父母 为自己的孩子念哀悼词
I think of their parents not even 50, saying the Kaddish over their children.
我想起他们 也想起了迈克
I think of them and I think of Michael.
在我还没弄明白前 我开始往前奔跑
And before I understand what’s happening, I start running.
越过池塘 也越过旋转木马
Past the pond, past the carousel.
(关于艾滋病毒 采取行动)
滴答声太吵杂了 我什么也听不到
The ticking is so loud now, I can’t hear anything.
我心跳加速 似乎要冲出喉咙
My heartbeat is pounding in my throat.
风呼啸着穿过树林
The wind is shrieking through the trees.
天色渐暗
The sky is darkening.
我想让它停下来 这一切都停止
I want it to stop. I want it all to stop!
在我九岁那年
♪ When I was nine ♪
迈克和我
♪ Michael and I ♪
参加了基♥督♥教青年會的一场才艺秀
♪ Entered a talent show down at the Y ♪
早上9点到某个楼梯旁排练
♪ Nine a.m. Went to rehearse by some stairs ♪
迈克不会唱歌♥
♪ Mike couldn’t sing ♪
但我说“没人在意”
♪ I said, “No one cares” ♪
我们唱了《黄鹂鸟儿》
♪ We sang “Yellow Bird” ♪
还有《一起去放风筝》
♪ And “Let’s Go Fly a Kite” ♪
一遍一遍又一遍
♪ Over and over and over ♪
直到我们唱对
♪ Till we got it right ♪
当我们离开
♪ When we emerged ♪
基♥督♥教青年会时
♪ From the YMCA ♪
午后3点的太阳
♪ Three o’clock sun ♪
已晒干了草地
♪ Had made the grass hay ♪
我当时想着 “嘿 这样度过一天多美好”
♪ I thought Hey, what a way to spend the day ♪
嘿 这样度过一天多美好
♪ Hey, what a way to spend the day ♪
我许下承诺
♪ I make a vow ♪
在此时此刻
♪ Right here and now ♪
我的余生
♪ I’m gonna spend ♪
都要这么度过
♪ My time this way ♪
在我十六岁那年
♪ When I was sixteen ♪
迈克和我
♪ Michael and I ♪
在白原市高中
♪ Got parts in West Side ♪
参演了《西区故事》
♪ At White Plains High ♪
下午3点到体育馆排练
♪ Three o’clock Went to rehearse in the gym ♪
迈克饰演医生 不用唱歌♥
♪ Mike played Doc Who did not sing ♪
对他来说正合适
♪ Fine with him ♪
我们唱着“口袋里有一枚火箭”
♪ We sang “Got a rocket in your pocket” ♪
还有“喷射帮出头日就在今晚”
♪ And “The Jets are gonna Have their day tonight” ♪
一遍一遍又一遍
♪ Over and over and over ♪
直到我们唱对
♪ Till we got it right ♪
当我们离开时
♪ When we emerged ♪
为演出精疲力竭
♪ Wiped out by that play ♪
晚上9点的星星
♪ Nine o’clock stars ♪