呃…我不认为那很严重
Er… I don’t think they were severe.
我认为她是 呃…
I, I think that she was, er…
她可能有一些轻微的 轻微的问题 呃…
She may have had some minor, minor issues, er…
她可能有一些 比轻微多一点的问题
She may have had some, a little bit more than minor issues.
是不是科学家有目的地选择
Were the scientists purposefully choosing children
亲生父母患有精神疾病的孩子
whose biological parents had a mental illness,
并把他们安置在不同的家庭中
and placing them into different homes
来观察精神病是否具有遗传性
to see, is mental illness hereditable.
艾迪在医院住了
Eddy was in the hospital
我想是三个星期
for I think it was three weeks.
然后他回到餐厅工作
And then he came back to work at the restaurant.
我不在那里 大卫一直和他在一起
I wasn’t there. David was with him, all the time.
我想也许他可以给你们更多细节
I think maybe he can give you better detail about it.
我负责厨房♥
I was running the kitchen.
艾迪不进去 我负责厨房♥
Eddy wasn’t in. I was running the kitchen,
他负责前台
he was running the front of the house.
这是我们的分工
That’s the way it worked.
我不知道他在哪里 他住在街对面
And I didn’t know where he was, and he lived across the street.
所以 大卫从餐馆给我打电♥话♥
So, David called me from the restaurant
他让我看看窗外
and he asked me to look out the window
看看艾迪的车是否停在路边
to see if Eddy’s car was in the driveway,
因为如果车停在路边
because if it were in the driveway,
我们知道他在家
we knew that he was home.
所以 车子停在路边
So, the car was in the driveway,
我问大卫 呃…
and I said to David, er…
“你想让我过去吗?”
“Do you want me to go over there?”
大卫说“是的”
And David said, “Yes.”
几分钟后她回电♥话♥给我
And she called me back a few minutes later
她的声音哽噎着颤抖着
and her voice was trembling and shaking.
她说“你必须回家”
She said, “You’ve gotta come home.”
我问“为什么?”
And I said, “Why?”
她说“拜托 你必须回家”
And she said, “Please, you’ve just gotta come home.”
呃…
Er…
我 呃…我把车停在我们住处的街上
And I, er… I pulled up we lived across the street.
我停的 有点 就是…警车都在那里
I pulled up, kind of, just… cop cars were all there
而我 就是那样 停在…你知道
and I, just kind of, pulled up on… you know,
堵住了一半街道 开着车门
blocking half the street, left the door open
然后跑向家里
and started running into the house
警♥察♥抓着我 他们不让我进去
and the cops grabbed me and they wouldn’t let me come in.
他们说“你不能 不会想看到的”
They said, “You don’t, you don’t wanna see this.
“你不能看 你不会想看到的”
“You can’t see this, you don’t wanna see this.
“你不会想看到的”
“You, you don’t wanna see this.”
那时我知道他走了
And that’s when I knew he was gone.
我告诉鲍比“我要跟你谈一谈”
I told Bobby, “I need to talk to you.”
就好像他 他似乎知道了
And it’s as if he, he kind of knew.
他似乎知道了 在我说出口之前
He kind of knew, before the words came out of my mouth.
艾迪自杀了
Eddy committed suicide.
艾迪开枪打死了自己
Eddy shot himself.
他结束了自己的生命
He took his own life.
我记不清是谁告诉我们的 我只记得一片黑暗
I don’t remember who told us. I just remember darkness.
父亲节那天我们埋葬了他 我念的悼词
Buried him on Father’s Day, I gave the eulogy,
我不记得我都说了什么
and I don’t remember everything I said,
但我非常明确我说 我的兄弟艾迪
but I do remember saying that my brother Eddy
他的笑容可以照亮整个房♥间
could light up a room with his smile.
为什么是艾迪 为什么是艾迪? 为什么不是我?
Why Eddy, why Eddy? Why not me?
我问过自己一百多次了
I’ve asked myself that a hundred times.
我宁愿是我而不是艾迪
I’d rather it was me than Eddy.
我 我不知道为什么是艾迪 为什么不是我
I, I don’t know why Eddy and why not me.
也许只是因为…
Maybe just because…
我不知道 我只是不知道
I don’t know, I just don’t know.
我 我 我无法回答
I, I, I can’t answer this.
谢谢你 鲍比
Thank you, Bobby.
哦 不客气
Oh, you’re welcome.
我想知道实验的真♥相♥
I’d like to know the truth about the experiment.
我了解到 在这一小群双胞胎中
My understanding, within this small group of twins
被分开用于研究的
that were separated and studied,
不止一个人自杀了
there was more than one suicide.
这几乎不可能是巧合
It’s almost impossible just to be a coincidence.
鉴于艾迪的精神疾病…
Given Eddy’s mental illness…
…谁知道他们基因里有什么
…who knows what’s in their DNA.
如果他们有任何结论
If they have anything conclusive
在任何方面可以预测未来的任何事情
that is in any way predicting anything in the future
我需要知道 我想知道它
that I need to know about, I wanna know about it.
还有很多我们不知道的事情
There is still so much that we don’t know.
我想知道的多于我能回答的
I have more questions than I have answers.
作为记者的一个特点之一
One of the things about being a journalist
是你不知道你会发现什么
is that you don’t know what you are gonna find out.
有时候你知道你没找到什么
Sometimes you know what you didn’t find out
同这个故事一样令人沮丧
which is frustrating like with this story.
好吧 我没有深究它
Well, I didn’t get to the bottom of it
因为我从来没有看过这项研究
because I never got to see the study.
因为没人看过 你知道
As no one has, you know.
这可能就是结果
That would be the bottom of it.
但这就是为什么它太诱人了
But that’s why this is so tantalizing.
这是我保留的研究
Here’s the research that I kept
从我写关于双胞胎的时候开始的
from when I was writing about twins.
我已经有一段时间没看这个盒子了
It’s been a while since I’ve had a look at this box.
哦 这很有趣
Oh, this is interesting.
迷你卡带
Mini cassettes.
在他去世之前 我曾设法与纽鲍尔博士交谈
Before he passed away I managed to talk to Dr Neubauer.
他并不情愿
He was reluctant,
据我所知 他从未说过这件事
he had not ever spoken about it to my knowledge.
好吧 让我们看看他有什么要说的
All right, let’s see what he has to say.
好了 我已经准备好了
‘OK, I’ve got it on now.
这项研究是怎么产生的?
‘How did this study come about?’
我告诉你
‘I tell you,
我宁愿不谈论它
‘l would rather not want to speak about it.’
真的吗? 为什么?
‘Oh, really? Why?’
等到我们发表它
‘Until we have published it.’
哦 嗯 你们打算什么时候发表它?
‘Oh, uh-huh. When do you plan to publish it?’
好吧 也许 我们可能会发表
‘Well, maybe, we would publish
在未来一年或者一年半内
‘in about a year, a year and a half from now.’
他明显在闪烁其辞
He was certainly illusive,
他在保护什么
he was protecting something.
好吧 给我说一下研究的范围
‘Well, tell me a little bit about the scope of the study
有多少人参与其中?
‘and how many people were involved in it?’
这项研究只是基于一小部分
‘The study was only based on a small number
出生时被分开的同卵双胞胎
‘of identical twins separated at birth,
基于很多很多原因
‘for many, many reasons.
我现在不想谈论它
‘I don’t want to talk about that now.
我们不得不停止它 因为代价太高了
‘We had to stop it because it became too expensive.’
谁是你的主要支持?
‘Who was your primary support?’
哦 一些私人家庭基金
‘Oh, some private family foundations.
我们从华盛顿那里得到了一些钱
‘We got some money from Washington.’
好的
‘OK.’
私人慈善机构和华盛顿 这意味着什么?
Private charities and Washington, what does that mean?
我不知道他们的资金来自哪里
And I don’t know where their funding came from.
好的 再次感谢你的时间
‘OK, thanks again for your time.’
再见
‘Bye.’
我认为这个故事还有非常敏感的一面
I think that there’s a great deal of sensitivity about this story.
有很多有权力的人
There’s a lot of powerful people
想让这个故事保持沉默
who would like to have this story silenced.
这项研究发生了什么
What happened to the study
据你所知?
as far as you’re aware?
在纽鲍尔于2008年去世之前
Before Neubauer died in 2008,
他留下了所有的研究资料
he left all the research materials
在耶鲁大学的档案馆里
in an archive at Yale University.
几十年以来 纽鲍尔将其封存着
Neubauer placed it under seal, for decades and decades.
据我所知 没有人能看到它
So far as I know nobody’s been able to access it.
呃…我们找到了什么?
Er… what do we have here?