我们喜欢同样的食物 呃…
‘we all loved the same food, er…
我们对女性的品味相似
‘our taste in women was similar.’
有没有什么更奇怪的事
‘What are some of the stranger things
你们发现你们都有的?
‘you found out you had in common?
还有什么更令人惊讶的发现吗?
‘Any other more surprising discoveries?’
好吧 有时你想
‘Well, sometimes when you think
你有一个独特的思考或想法
‘you’re having a unique thought or idea
然后你去和别人分享
‘and you go to share it with someone
他们说 “你兄弟刚告诉我了”
‘and they say, “Your brother just told me.”
这有点烦人 – 这很有趣’
‘It’s a little annoying.’ – ‘It’s funny.’
这有点烦人 令人不安
‘It’s a little annoying, it’s unnerving.’
与我的兄弟们做生意
Being in business with my brothers
破坏了我们的关系
damaged our relationship.
会与职业道德存在矛盾
There were conflicting work ethics,
后来我的父亲去世了
and my father had passed away.
他真的把我们凝聚在一起
He really anchored us together as a group
而且可以和平共处
and kept the peace so to speak.
他们开始争吵 就像孩子之间争吵
They started to argue like kids would argue, you know.
他们曾失掉那样的机会
And they didn’t have that opportunity,
那种天赐的18年的兄弟情谊
that gift of being able to be brothers for 18 years.
当你生活在一个有很多孩子的家庭
When you are living in a family of children
你会学习如何相互适应
you learn how to adjust to each other.
如果我不喜欢你这样做 我会生气
If I don’t like the way you do this, I can get angry,
或者我可以学会妥协
or I can learn to compromise.
但他们是成年后见面的
But they met as adults.
并且从未学过如何与对方生活在一起
And had never learned how to live with each other.
随着事情发展 事情变得更加复杂
As things went on, things got more complicated,
越来越复杂
and as things got more complicated,
最后的结果是我离开了
what ended up happening was I left.
当鲍比离开公♥司♥时
When Bobby left the business
艾迪和我觉得我们受到了背叛
Eddy and I felt that we were being betrayed.
鲍比觉得他被排挤了出去
Bobby felt that he was being pushed out.
无论哪样 都对我们的关系造成了很大很大的伤害
Either way, it did major, major damage to the relationship.
我认为那对艾迪造成了极大的影响
I think that took an extreme toll on Eddy
我认为比对大卫和鲍比要严重
more so than I think David and Bobby.
艾迪永远是那种
Eddy was always the one
就想让每个人都和睦相处
who just wanted to have everybody be at peace together,
所以艾迪对此感到非常沮丧
and Eddy was, was very upset about it.
他有点被压垮了 它在吞噬着他
He was kind of crushed about it. It was eating at him.
他非常爱他们
He dearly loved them,
他希望他的兄弟们在一起
and he wanted his brothers to be together.
他只是不知道如何处理这一切
He was just not really sure how to deal with it all.
你会注意到更多的兴奋或失落
You’re just seeing a lot more kind of up and down behaviors,
不正常的行为
erratic behaviors.
艾迪留起了胡子
‘Eddy’s growing a beard.’
毛脸 就是我
‘Fur face, that’s me.’
天啊 吵醒孩子了
‘Jeez, wake the child.’
杰米 你♥爸♥爸很迷糊
‘Jamie, your daddy is fuzzy.’
你会看到更多不自然的开心或沮丧
You’re just seeing a lot more unnatural highs and lows.
他会在晚上很奇怪的时间给人们打电♥话♥…
He would call people and… at bizarre hours of the evening,
然后他们会说
and then they would say,
“我有十年没见过或听到艾迪了”
“I haven’t seen or heard from Eddy in ten years.
“他为什么拿起电♥话♥打给我”
“Why is he picking up the telephone and calling me
“在凌晨两点?”
“at two o’clock in the morning?”
你知道 那些 那些是迹象
You know, those are, those are signs.
这只是…这不仅是说
This was just… this was more
一个需要心理咨♥询♥的人
than just somebody who needed counselling.
就像是非常非常严重的事情
This was, like, really something very, very serious.
他可以变得令人难以置信的迷人
He could be unbelievably charming.
你好!
‘Hello!’
但突然爆发极大的愤怒
But the downswing was a lot of anger.
呃…暴露内心深处黑暗的一面
Er… there was just deep, deep darkness.
躁狂抑郁症
Manic depression
我想是他们的最终诊断
I think was what they eventually said.
后知后觉确实如此
It made sense in hindsight.
我结婚时并未想过
I didn’t walk down the aisle thinking, you know,
我会嫁给一个患有躁狂抑郁症的男人
“I have a man who is suffering from manic depression.”
人们会说 “你怎会不知道?” 但…
People will say, “How could you not know?”, but…
…他是如此独特 如此精彩和特别
…he was so unique and so wonderful and special,
你只是…就是艾迪 你知道
you just… that was Eddy, you know.
我被告知他需要在…一个设施里
I was advised that he needed to be in a… a facility.
我是说 我感到很难过 是我让他遭受这种创伤
I mean, I felt bad that I put him through this trauma
待在心理病房♥里
of going into a psych ward
因为我曾住过心理病房♥ 我知道那有多难受
because I had been in a psych ward and I know how hard it is.
在我小的时候 我在心理病房♥度过了我16岁的生日
When I was a kid, I spent my 16th birthday in a psych ward.
我们都是受到精神刺♥激♥的孩子
We all were really disturbed kids.
当我们还是少年时 我们都接受了精神治疗
We were all under psychiatric care when we were teenagers.
我们都度过了艰难的
We all had very challenging
失常的青春期
and dysfunctional teenage years.
我们可以询问个人问题吗?
Could we ask about personal.
你们其中一人曾卷入谋杀
One of you were involved in a murder,
是真的吗?
is that right?
啊 这取决于你们
Ah, it’s up to you guys.
不 不
No. No.
《人物杂♥志♥》…
People Magazine…
一人曾被指控参与谋杀案
One was accused of being involved in a murder.
就是我
And it was me,
而我从未见过这个被杀的人
who never met this person who was killed,
从来没有碰到过类似的事情
never was present or anything like that.
是同伴逼迫的
It was peer pressure.
朋友们迫使我为他们掩盖
Friends pressuring me into covering for them,
向警方编造他们的故事
telling a story for them to the police
把我卷了进去
and that pulled me right into it.
我生命中从未伤害过任何人
I’ve never hurt anyone in my life.
我们知道 我们可以感受到
We know it, we can feel it.
我们能感受到
We can feel it.
这项研究中的很多人都出现失常的童年
A lot of people in this study had dysfunctional childhoods
和一些心理问题
and some mental problems
这令人♥质♥疑 你知道
and it raises questions, you know.
如果你是一个倾尽毕生心血
If you are a person who has devoted your life,
像纽鲍尔博士那样 投身于研究精神疾病的人
like Dr Neubauer has to the study of mental illness,
那会是你研究的一个因素吗?
then is that a factor that you are researching?
这故事令人难以置信 就像一部迪士尼电影
‘The story is incredible. This is a Disney movie.’
它比迪斯尼电影还要黑暗
‘It’s a little darker than a Disney movie.’
当我们第一次见面时 我们意识到我们有这些相似之处
When we first met we realized we had all these similarities,
我们有相似的习惯
we had similar mannerisms,
我们都学过电影
we both had studied film.
后来我们同样发现
And then we also found out
我们都患有抑郁症
we both had suffered from depression.
这就是那封信
So, this is the letter
从路易丝·怀斯服务收到的
that I received from Louise Wise Services.
“你出生于1968年10月9日下午12点15分”
“You were born at 12.51 pm on October 9 1968
“生母是一名29岁的犹太单身女性”
“to a 29-year-old Jewish single woman.
“她非常聪明 有着高智商”
“She was very intelligent with a high IQ.
“她带着优异的奖学金进入大学”
“She entered college on a merit scholarship
“但情绪问题影响了她的出勤”
“but emotional problems interrupted her attendance.
“她有自愿住院治疗史”
“She had a history of voluntary hospitalizations
“为了治疗情绪问题”
“for emotional problems.
“虽然我找不到原始医疗报告”
“Although I have not been able to locate the original medical reports,
“间接信息表明你母亲患有精神分♥裂♥症”
secondary sources noted that your mother’s diagnosis was schizophrenia.”
读到我的生母曾多次入院
It was really disturbing to read that my birth mother
令我感到不安
had been in and out of institutions.
我开始发现更多
I started finding out more
受到研究的其他双胞胎和三胞胎
about the other twins and triplets in the study,
事实证明 不仅他们很多人
and it turns out that not only had many of them
遭受精神健康问题
struggled with mental health problems,
他们的亲生父母同样有精神健康问题
but that their birth parents had mental health issues.
而领养他们的家庭从未被告知过
And their adoptive families had never been told.
有没有可能
How possible is it
你的母亲就有心理健康问题呢?
that your mother had mental health issues?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!