哇哦
Wow.
这是耶鲁大学的网站 这写着
This is the Yale University website, and this appears to be
儿童成长中心领养研究记录指南
the Guide to Adoption Study Records of the Child Development Center.
66个盒子里装满了信息
66 boxes filled with information:
图表 录像 录音带以及研究发现
charts, films and tapes and research findings.
家庭访问 这个很重要
Home visits, that’s a big one.
上面说研究是从1960年开始到1980年为止的
It says that the dates of the study were from 1960 to 1980.
我想我们的团聚似乎结束了这项研究
I guess our reunion, kind of closed the study.
访问信息
“Information about access.
记录被封存至2066年
“The records are restricted until 2066.”
这是封存的!
It’s sealed!
所以 他们做了能做的一切
So, they did all that they did
将整个清单藏起来
to have this whole list tucked away
放在图书馆里某个布满灰尘的地方 没有人可以接触到
in a dusty library somewhere, where nobody can touch it.
研究人员如希望在此日期之前使用这些记录
“Researchers wishing to use these records before this date must secure
需获得“犹太家庭与儿童服务委员会”的书面授权
“written authorization from the Jewish Board of Family and Children’s Services.”
犹太委员会是上级组织
The Jewish Board was the parent organization
管理彼得·纽鲍尔经营的儿童成长中心
of the Child Development Center run by Peter Neubauer.
我知道的是
My understanding is that
他们是一个非常非常有权力的组织
they are a very, very powerful organization
政♥治♥根基非常深
with very deep political connections.
感谢您致电
‘Thank you for calling
犹太家庭和儿童服务委员会
‘the Jewish Board of Family and Children Services.’
你好
‘Hello.’
嗨 我叫大卫·凯尔曼 呃…
Yes, hi. My name is David Kellman, er…
显然 我是一项研究的对象之一
and apparently, I was a, one of the subjects of a study,
多年前由儿童成长中心发起的
run by the Child Development Center many years ago,
现被保存在耶鲁大学
and it’s being kept at Yale University.
是吗? – 而且他们的网站上说
‘Yes?’ – And on their website it says
我需要得到委员会的许可
that I would need permission from the board
才能获得这些记录的访问权限
in order to gain access to those records,
不知为什么 接线员把我转到你这里
and somehow the receptionist got me to you.
嗯 好的 呃…
‘Huh, OK. Er…
我不知道这些事或研究的时间
‘I’m not aware of any of that stuff or when the study was,
不过我可以…
‘but I can…’
有很多记者
There have been a number of journalists
而且据我所知 有很多参与这项研究的双胞胎
and as far as I know, some of the twins that were involved in this study
也在试图获取这些材料
who have tried to gain access to this material.
据我所知 他们无法看到
So far as I know they haven’t been able to see
这项研究的结果
the results of this study.
有没有办法让我直接去找什么人
Is there a way that I can go directly to someone
可能为我提供对访问授权
that would be able to provide access to me,
因为我是研究的对象之一?
as I was one of the subjects within the study?
如果有人有权看到所有这些材料
If anybody should have the right to see all this material,
就该是那些真正参与研究的人
it’s the people that were actually the subject of the study.
他们应该知道研究到了什么
They should know what was learned.
我的意思是 我不知道
‘I mean, I have no idea
现在谁能授权
‘who would even be the one to ask right now.
我需要查一下
‘I would need to look into that.’
好的 可以说你是第一道防线
OK, so you’re the first line of defense, so to speak.
我猜 是的
‘I guess, yeah.’
好的 我会给你发一封邮件 主题会写上
OK, I will send an email to you. I’ll put at the subject line,
呃…“双胞胎研究”
is going to be, er… “Twin Studies”.
好的
‘Gotcha.’
路易丝·怀斯服务已长♥期♥关闭
Louise Wise Services is long closed.
彼得·纽鲍尔也去世了
Peter Neubauer passed away.
然而 我们仍然不能确切知道
And yet we still don’t know exactly
他们要找什么 或者他们发现了什么
what they were looking for, or what they found out.
我是临床心理学家
I’m a Clinical Psychologist
我曾是彼得·纽鲍尔研究的研究助理
and I was a research assistant on Peter Neubauer’s study.
我相信我是唯一
I believe I am the only person
参与了这项研究的人
who worked on this study
负责记录研究过程
who is willing to go on record about what was done.
那时我24岁
I was 24.
这基本上是我的第一份工作
This is essentially my first job.
你知道 你必须小心不能泄露 呃…
You know, you had to be careful to not let on that, er…
“哎呀 你看起来就像你的孪生兄弟”
“Gee, you look just like your, your twin brother.”
那我当场就被解雇了 对吧?
I would’ve been fired on the spot, right?
这有点诱人 是的
It was a little tempting, yeah,
有一点诱惑
there was, there was a little bit of temptation.
就像 “嘿 我知道你的双胞胎伙伴”
It’s like, “Hey, I, I know your twin.
“我一周前见过一个和你一模一样的人”
“I saw somebody a week ago who was exactly like you.”
有趣的是我是否感到愧疚
The question whether I feel guilty is interesting
因为我从未觉得有责任
because I never felt a responsibility.
设计完成之后我就参加了
I came on after this was designed.
但是 我是参与者
However, I was a participant,
所以你可以说我在道德上妥协了
so you could say I was ethically compromised by that.
回想起来 我认为在道德上这无疑是错误的
In retrospect I think it was undoubtedly ethically wrong.
我在这里有一些笔记 好的
I got some notes here. OK.
好的
OK.
这些是我的实际原始笔记
These are my actual original notes,
我做过的心理学副本
copies of psychologicals that I did.
有哪些特别的人在这些文件中?
And who in, who in particular are in these files?
我这有三胞胎
Well, I have the triplets.
嗯…哦 我们来吧
Hmm… Oh, here we go.
我不会提到这个名字 但是 呃…
I, I’m not gonna mention the name, but, er…
“他是一个吵闹的 精力充沛的男孩”
“He’s a loud, energetic boy.
“他需要建立自己的独♥立♥自主
“His need to establish his autonomy
“来炫耀他的智慧和力量”
“takes to the form of showing off, both his intelligence and his strength,
“胜过包括他父母在内的其他人”
“and putting down others including his parents.”
是的 这个人渴望展示他的新自行车
Yeah, this one’s eager to show off his new bicycle
还有他所有的运动装备 在我拍摄他的时候
and all of his sports equipment while I filmed him.
他非常强烈的表现
He was very intense in his play
而且相当…暴♥力♥
and got quite… rough.
这个孩子有些问题
This kid had some problems.
强烈的侵略性
Hyper aggressiveness.
好的 显然
OK, so apparently,
这些父母不了解
these parents are not cognizant
他的问题 他们也无法帮助他
of his problems, nor are they able to help him
了解他的弱点
understand his weaknesses
并针对他的行为采取更适当的控制
and establish more appropriate control over his actions.
所以 我不认为父母非常关注
So, I didn’t think the parents were very tuned in
这个孩子所遭受的问题
to the struggles this youngster was having.
这项研究的结果是什么?
What were the findings of the study?
我不知道 因为我在10个月后离开了研究
I have no idea because I left the study after 10 months
结果从未发表过
and the results were never published.
我有的只是我的一小部分
All I have is my little, tiny piece.
这是一个谜 这是一个巨大的损失
It’s a mystery, it’s a huge loss.
所有这些重要的科学数据
All this important scientific data
只是埋藏在那些档案中
is just buried in these archives.
有人猜测
So, some people have speculated
研究的目的 最终目的
that the purpose of the study, ultimate purpose,
是探究精神健康
was looking at mental health.
我…在我研究期间 我从来没有听说过
I… there was, there was never a mention of mental health
亲生父母的精神健康
of the biological parents when I was in the study.
我们对精神健康不感兴趣
We were not interested in mental health,
那不是我们感兴趣的
that’s not what we were interested in.
我们一直在寻找育儿方面的差异
We were looking for differences in parenting.
我们想了解育儿实践
We wanted to understand parenting practices
以及它是如何影响成长的
and how it would affect development.
所以 你说他们对家庭环境变量更感兴趣?
So, you’re saying they were interested more in the family dynamics?
但他们不可能知道这一点 他们不知道
But they couldn’t have known that. They didn’t know
这些家庭会如何
how the families were going to interact
与新领养的孩子互动
with this newly-adopted child.
他们唯一可能获知
The only way they could possibly know
家庭环境变量的途径是
about the family dynamics
已经有一个孩子被安置在那个家庭
was if they already had a child placed in that family.
另一个令人惊讶的巧合是
‘Another astonishing coincidence
故事中的每个兄弟
‘in this story is that each of the brothers
家里都有一个领养的姐姐一起长大
‘grew up in their families with an adopted sister,