当我讲我的故事的时候
When I tell people my story
人们并不相信
they don’t believe it.
换作是我 我也不会相信
I guess I wouldn’t believe the story
别人讲这样的故事 但是 我还是要讲
if someone else were telling it, but, I’m telling it
而且它是真的 每个字都是
and it’s true, every word of it.
故事从56年前我出生那一刻起就开始了
It started when I was born, 56 years ago,
但对于我 则是在19岁时
but the real story began when I was 19 years old
在我上大学的时候
and I went to college.
那是1980年 大学的第一天
It was 1980. It was the first day of school
沙利文县社区学院 在卡次启尔山上
at Sullivan County Community College up in the Catskills,
离我长大的地方约110英里
about 110 miles from where I grew up.
所以 我一个人开车到那里
So, I drove up there alone.
# 我做着同一个旧梦
# I get the same old dreams
# 在每个夜里同一时间
# Same time every night
# 翻滚到地上 醒来…
# Fall to the ground and I wake up…
我那时有一辆很旧的车 一辆沃尔沃
I used to have this really old car. It was a Volvo.
1970年产的沃尔沃
And it was a 1970 Volvo.
里程有130,000英里了
Had like 130,000 miles on it.
车身是酒红的 引擎盖是绿色的
And the car was burgundy and the hood was green.
实际上 我叫它“老婊♥子♥”
Actually, the car was called the Old Bitch.
# 自从你走后
# Since you been gone
# 自从你走后
# Since you been gone
# 我魂不守舍… #
# I’m out of my head… #
但“老婊♥子♥”带我到了那儿
But the Old Bitch got me there.
沙利文是一所社区学院
Sullivan was a community college.
它不是什么历史悠久的高等学府
This wasn’t some longstanding institution of higher learning.
那些箱式轿车把孩子们放下
All these station wagons are dropping kids off.
我很紧张 我刚到学校
I was nervous, I’d just gotten to the school,
我谁也不认识 我是一个新生
I didn’t know anybody. I was a freshman.
我从未当过高中橄榄球队队长
I was never the captain of the football team in high school,
所以我从来不喜欢出名
so I was never really like popular.
所以 我四处转转试着找到自己的宿舍
So, I’m walking around trying to find where my dorm is.
这时候 所有这些人都来找我
Meanwhile all these people are coming up to me
给我说“嗨 你好吗?”
saying “Hi, how are you?”
“这个夏天怎么样?”
“How was your summer?”
“我的很棒 你的呢?” “超赞”
“Mine was great. How was yours?” “Super.”
他们为什么问我夏天怎么样? 我不知道
Why are they asking me how my summer was? I don’t know.
每个人对我都极其友好
Everybody’s being extremely friendly to me
他们热情洋溢跟我打招呼
and they’re going out of their way to do it.
不只跟我说“嗨”
I don’t mean just a ‘hi’,
我是说 还会拍我的背 跟我击掌
I mean, claps on the back and high fives.
我对此有点困惑
And I was a little bit bewildered by this
因为其他人没有这种欢迎
because no one gets this kind of a welcome
在开学的第一天
on their first day at school.
女孩们会亲吻我
And girls were kissing me,
那种火热的吻就像说 “真高兴你回来了”
like fully kissing me saying, “I’m so glad you came back.”
我就回“谢谢”“你好”
And I was saying ‘thank you’ and ‘hello’ back
其实我从未到过那里 我也不认识他们
but I had never been there before and I didn’t know them.
那很奇怪
It was bizarre.
接下来我听到他们在背后说
And the next thing I heard from right behind me.
“欢迎回来 艾迪!”
“Welcome back. Eddy!”
“艾迪! 你好吗? 艾迪 嗨!”
“Eddy! How are you? Eddy, hi!”
我说 “我不叫艾迪
I’m like, “My name’s not Eddy.
我不知道你们在说什么 我刚来”
“I don’t know what you’re talking about. I just got up here.”
“当然 艾迪 你真的很有趣
“Sure, Eddy, you’re really funny,
“真的 真的很有趣”
“you’re really funny, real funny.”
我又说 “我不是艾迪 我不知道艾迪是谁”
I’m like, “I’m not Eddy. I don’t know who Eddy is.”
“欢迎回来 艾迪” 他们都这么说
“Welcome back, Eddy”, they were all saying.
我终于迷迷糊糊找到了宿舍
I finally made it to this dump of a dorm room.
还不到一分钟…
Before a minute had gone by…
…“又是谁? 谁又来找艾迪?”
…”Who now? Who now is gonna come to find Eddy?”
我上一年跟艾迪一起上课
I had been at college the previous year with Eddy,
所以我知道他没回学校
and I knew that he wasn’t coming back to school.
当这个家伙转过身来 我…
As soon as this guy turned around, I…
我…我其实在颤抖
I was, I was actually shaking.
我…我知道我的脸都白了
I was… I know all color from my face dropped
因为我知道这是另一个他
cos I knew it was his double.
同样的笑容 同样的头发 同样的表情
He had the same grin, the same hair, the same expressions.
跟他完全一样
It was his double.
我看着这个家伙的脸 他就像…
And I see this guy’s face and he’s like…
…只会站在那里
…just standing there.
我说的第一句话是“你是被领养的吗?”
The first thing out of my mouth was “Were you adopted?”
我说“是的”
Er… and I was like, “Yes.”
我问“你生日是7月12日吗?” 他说是的
I said, “ls your birthday July 12th?” He said yes.
我说“1961年7月12日”
I was like, “July 12th 1961.”
“哦 我的天” 我说 “你不会相信的”
“Oh my God”, I said, “You’re not gonna believe this.”
“你有一个孪生兄弟 你有一个兄弟”
I said, “You have a twin brother. You have a twin.”
“哦 我的天”
“Oh my God.”
我说 “跟我来”
I said, “Come with me.”
然后我们两个挤进了电♥话♥亭
And the two of us are crammed into this phone booth,
肩并肩 你知道 我们不得不那样
shoulder to shoulder and you know, we had to like,
关上电♥话♥亭的门
close the door of the phone booth.
我努力把硬币投进去
And I’m trying to put the coins in
它们却不停地掉到地上
and they keep falling on the floor
鲍比拾起硬币
and Bobby’s picking up the coins.
他给那个人拨通了电♥话♥ 他说
And he calls this guy and he’s like,
“嘿 艾迪 你不会相信的”
“Hey, Eddy, you’re not gonna believe this,
“你不会相信的”
“you’re not gonna believe this.
“艾迪 艾迪 你不会相信的”
“Eddy, Eddy, you are not gonna believe this.”
这个家伙比我还激动
This guy’s more hysterical than I am like weirded out.
“艾迪 你不会相信的”
“Eddy, you are not gonna believe this.”
然后我说 “给我电♥话♥”
So I was like, “Give me the phone.”
我说 “嗨 艾迪?” “是的”
So I’m like, “Hi, Eddy?” “Yes.”
但听起来是我在说“是的”
But it was my voice that said, “Yes.”
我说 “嗨 艾迪 我叫罗伯特·沙弗兰”
And I said, “Hi, Eddy, my name is Robert Shafran
“而且 我在这里见的所有人”
“and, er… I’m meeting all these people
“都说我是你”
“who say I’m you.”
他说 “嗯哼 我接到了一些电♥话♥”
And he said, “Uh-huh, yeah, I’ve been getting some calls.”
我说 “你是被领养的吗?” 他说 “是的”
I said, “Were you adopted?” and he said, “Yes.”
我说 “你生日是什么时候?”
And I said, “When was your birthday?”
“7月12日”
“July 12th.”
我说 “你知道领养机构的名称吗?”
And I said, “Do you know what the name of the agency was?”
他说 “不 等等”
And he said, “No, hold on.”
我听到他说 “妈妈?”
And I heard him go like, “Mom?”
他回来了 说“路易丝·怀斯服务”
And he came back and he said, “Louise Wise Services.”
有时候就像是在做梦
Sometimes when you are just having a dream,
你觉得这不是真的 这不是真的
you know this can’t be real, this can’t be real.
但你又知道你其实无法阻止它
But you know there’s nothing you can do to stop it,
发起它 改变它 你只能适应它
start it, change it, you just go with it
这就是我要做的事情
and that’s what I was doing.
我只想看看接下来会发生什么
I just wanted to see what was gonna happen next.
我说 “我们走吧 我们去见艾迪吧”
And I’m like, “Let’s go. Let’s go meet Eddy.”
然后我们坐上“老婊♥子♥”
So we got into the Old Bitch.
那是晚上9点左右
It was about 9 o’clock at night
大约两小时车程
and it’s about a two-hour ride.
我们在17号♥公路上超速行驶
And we were speeding on route 17.
我们每小时跑100英里 也许更多
We were going 100 miles per hour, perhaps more.
我们超速驾驶
We were speeding.
我们跑到了车的极限
We’re driving as fast as this car would go.
车在抖动
It was shaking.
我们被一名纽约州警♥察♥逼停
And we got pulled over by a New York State trooper.
我摇下窗户 是一个大块头警♥察♥
And as I roll down my window there’s this gigantic cop
戴着墨镜 即便那是晚上
with like the sunglasses even though it’s night time.
戴着大帽子
In the big hat.
他说 “你知道吗 限速50的路段你跑了88”
He said, “You know, I clocked you at 88 in a 50.
“孩子 你最好找个好理由”
“Son, you better have a really good reason.”
我说
And I was like,
“好吧 警官 你永远不会相信的”
“Well, Officer, you’re never gonna believe this.”
我们俩就像对他喊了出来
The two of us are like yelling at this guy.
“你 你不知道”
“You, you don’t know,

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!