我觉得他不会…
I think he wouldn’t..
没有她在路上,他就会迷路
He’d be lost without her out on the road.
[instrumental music]
[music continues]
[music continues]
[music continues]
[music continues]
鲍勃·琼斯:我们组了8人乐队去巡演
[Bob Jones narrating] We had sold a tour based on an octet.
乐队的难题在于
The complication with the octet
只有蒙克有乐谱
was that Monk had the music.
在我们搞清楚音乐的走向之前
And before we could figure out what to do musically
我们必须等待
we had to get a hold of this.
蒙克从不事先告诉我们
Monk never gave it to us
直到我们上了飞机
until we got on the plane.
我记得我去头等舱
I remember going up to first class..
奈丽和蒙克在那儿
Nellie and Thelonious were there..
我就说:“你得给我乐谱”
and I said, “I need the music.
“乐手们需要知道我们要演奏什么”
“The guys have to see what’s going on.
“别担心,会还给你的”
Don’t worry. You’ll get it back.”
我们把乐谱拿回来
We brought it back, and it was distributed
发给后排的乐手们
to the musicians in the back
我们5个人一路上就在抄谱,直到我们飞到伦敦
so all five of us copied the music all the way to London.
我们就要在伦敦降落了
We were going to arrive in London
当晚就要演出
and play the same evening.
这一切肯定让他很紧张
It had to be nerve-racking to him how this would happen.
给他啤酒
Given his Druthers
这个人再也不会离开纽约了
this man would have stayed in New York, period.
那就是结束
That would be the end of it.
[instrumental music]
保持
Hold it.
[whistling]
[applause]
[instrumental music]
[music continues]
他肯定在想这肯定一开始就错了
[Columby narrating] He must have thought that it got off on the wrong foot
永远也纠正不回来了
and it was never going to get back.
我知道他很紧张
I know he was nervous
担心乐队的人数
about the number of people we had.
他肯定觉得我们铜管组还不太够
He must have thought there weren’t enough horns.
除非有人超常发挥
Unless somebody really worked on the charts
否则铜管组听起来会不对劲
they wouldn’t sound right.
雷:开头怎样?乐队开始了吗?
[Ray] ‘How’s this start? Does the band start?’
– 呃,乐队开始。 – 乐队开始了
– Uh… band starts. – ‘The band goes.’
本,你演奏什么?4小节?8小节?
What do you play, Ben, four bars, eight bars?
本演奏…
Does Ben play..
我演奏引子
I play an introduction
然后我让他演奏一个引子
then I let him play an introduction
然后劳斯会和我们一起演奏
and then Rouse will play it with us together..
大概2遍,你知道,一个和声
About two times, you know, a chorus
然后乐队加入
then the band comes in.

Yeah.
准备好了?
Ready?

Hmm.
[laughing]
[piano music]
[instrumental music]
次中音萨克斯
Tenor saxophone.
[saxophone playing]
中音独奏
Alto solo.
雷?
Say, Ray?
嘿,你知道..你跟着劳斯
Hey, you follow..You follow Rouse.
雷:你想让我跟劳斯?
[Ray] You want me to follow Rouse?
塞隆尼斯:对的,没错
[Thelonious] ‘Yeah, that’s right.’
太难了..完全被你说中了,
It’s tough..It’s exactly what you said.
铜管组不够
There’s horns missing.
– 那是前一半。 – 一半,不是那时候
– That’s the first half. – Half, not the time.
后一半….
The second half..
呃,呃…
Uh-huh.
我们要怎么重复3 遍?
How we going to do it three times?
一样的。第二遍要上去
Same way. Go up the second time.
一共有6遍
There’ll be six times.
6遍?
Six times?
会更低一点
It’s going to be lower..

Oh.
中间,然后高上去
Medium, and then high.
每次都是全部16小节!
The whole 16 bars every time!
对,不是8小节
Right, instead of eight bars.
这样啊!
Ah so!
我挖掘,我知道他在干什么
I dig. I see what he’s doing.
慢,很慢,但是很坚定
Slowly, slowly but surely.
[piano music]
华彩的顺序有什么安排吗?
Any preference for solo order?
我们这样可以吗?
The way we did it alright?
查理第一个?
Charles first?
呃,对,他第一个。
Uh, yeah, he plays it first.
我们会想明白下面谁上,好吗?
We’ll figure out how who’s going, okay?
当你发现一个好的切入点
When you see a nice place to go in
就选好你的位置开始演奏
you pick your spot to blow.
选好
Pick it.
[saxophone music]
[music continues]
[applause]
[piano music]
[music continues]
[applause]
[instrumental music]
[music continues]
[applause]
[instrumental music]
[music continues]
[applause]
约翰尼·格里芬
Johnny Griffin.
约翰尼·格里芬
Johnny Griffin.
我记得观众都陷入了疯狂
[Columby narrating] I remember the audience
went crazy.
他们全都…他们被震住了
They were just.. they were stunned,
他也被震住了
and he was literally stunned himself
被观众们的反应
by the audience reaction to this
以及突然发现
and suddenly discovered
“好,耶,我是说,我们成功了”
“Well, yeah. I mean, it’s all working.
“我们不会演砸了”
It’s not going to be the disaster.”
[applause]
[instrumental music]
[music continues]
[music continues]
我们想要你的签名
We would like to have your signature
如果你愿意。我们全都,啊..
if you would. We all, uh..
如果你可以
If you please can do it.
噢,塞隆尼斯·蒙克
Oh, Thelonious Monk.
非常,非常感谢你
I thank you very, very much.
非常感谢你
Thank you very much.
不必客气
You’re welcome.
鲍勃·琼斯:他们第一次去世界巡演的时候
[Bob Jones narrating]When they went on the first world tour
他们从日内瓦去澳大利亚
they went from Geneva to Australia.
在澳大利亚,海关发现
And in Australia, customs found
他们包里全是空的可乐瓶子
all these empty coke bottles in their bags.
空的可乐瓶子
Empty coke bottles..
还超重了,他们付了超重行李费
And overweight, they paid overweight.
他们很生气
The people were furious.
“你为什么带那么多空可乐瓶子?”
“Why do you have these empty coke bottles?”
奈丽说:“我们要把它们带回去”
Nellie said, “We’re taking them back.”
你好吗?
How are you?
– 格雷西和你在一起吗? – 啊?
– Is Gracie with you? – Huh?
不在吗?格雷西没有和你一起?
No? Gracie with you?
奈丽?
Nellie?
噢,没错,她在那儿
Oh, yeah. She’s over there.
噢,是的
Oh, yes.
你从来不独自呆在家,对吗?
You never stay home alone, huh?
从不
No.
你喜欢和蒙克来这儿旅行吗?
You like to travel with Mr. Monk here, huh?
是的
Yes.
– 是吗? – 噢,是的
– Yes? – Oh, yes.
你了解我
You know me.
我了解你,没错
I know you, yes.
我也了解他
And I know him.
塞隆尼斯!
Thelonious!

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!