[music continues]
提奥:请准备
[Teo] ‘Stand by, please.’
你都搞定了?
You get all that done?
全都是你弹的?
You play all that?
嗯?
Huh?
我想听听怎么样
I’d like to hear how that sounds.
“我们还在这儿搞声音
‘We’re still fooling with the sound in here.’
我们先做一首,回头再重放它
Let’s make one, then we’ll play it back.
为什么所有人都不按我说的做?
Why does nobody want to do what I ask them to do?
我想先演奏那首,然后是其他曲目。
I asked to play the song first before that other jive.
”继续排。我们会录一些“
‘Keep rehearsing. We’ll tape some.’
我想听听看怎么样
I wanted to see how it sounds.
你每次都在自己的乐器上排练
You rehearse every time you play on your instrument.
你应该知道,一个萨克斯风手
You should know that.. A saxophone player.
我觉得他没录那一段
I don’t think he taped that one.
他说他整准备录
He said he was going to.
”我说我们来练一首“
‘I said we were gonna make one.’
”你说你想排练“
‘You said you wanted to rehearse.’
我啥都没说
I didn’t say anything.
我什么都没说,一个字都没说
I didn’t say shit. I didn’t say nothing.
那么,我们能听一下吗?
Well, can we hear what that sounds like?
”我们没录“
‘We didn’t record it.’
提奥:请准备
[Teo]’Stand by, please.’
[instrumental music]
[music continues]
[music continues]
[music continues]
有个叫巴里·法瑞尔的人
[Columby narrating] Somebody named Barry Farrell
就像《时代》之前保证的那样
exacted a promise from the Time people
帮塞隆尼斯拍封面照
to do a cover on Thelonious Monk.
我头一次听到的时候不相信
When I first heard I didn’t believe it.
第一次见面,呃,和巴里
The first-first meeting, uh, with Barry
是在晚上,嗯,我想不起来几月了
was in the evening, and, uh, I forgot the month.
总之我们在那,第一次会面
But we were there. It was the first meeting.
”你好,我是巴里,我来拍封面照片“
“Hello. I’m Barry. I’m doing the cover.”
”我是塞隆尼斯·蒙克“。好,我是你的封面人物”
“I’m Thelonious Monk. Ok, I’m your cover subject.”
从那时起,我发现某种开端
And on the way down, I noticed the beginning
奇怪举动的开端
of a period of..of..of strange behavior.
只是那时机。。你知道
The timing was just.. You know
每年会发生几次
a couple times a year that would occur.
我发现了,我很害怕
And I noticed that and I was terrified.
如果在那房♥间里被发现
If that was spotted in the room
封面就吹了
that cover would be blown.
所以我和他一起
So I went up with him.
只有蒙克、巴里,和我
It was just Thelonious Monk, Barry Farrell, and myself
在那间阴暗的收音机城办公室
in this dark Radio City office.
巴里说:“你好,听听这张专辑
Barry said, “Hello. Listen to this record
”和比尔·埃文斯演奏的《午夜时分》
“with Bill Evans playing ‘Round Midnight.
你觉得怎模样?“
What do you think?”
我观察蒙克的举动
I was watching Thelonious Monk’s behavior
逐步的,你知道,逐渐地
progressively..you know, getting progressively..
嗯,当时并不明显
uh, it wasn’t obvious yet.
对我是挺明显的,事情在变坏
It was, to me, obvious it was going to get bad.
我不知道会持续多久
I didn’t know how long it would take.
有人发现了某事,这太令人抓狂了。
I was just so paranoid about someone spotting something.
我记得他站起来,看着窗外
I remember he got up, looked out the window,
然后他有点苗头了,但是没有被发现
and he stared a little bit, but apparently it wasn’t spotted.
那时他和我一起下楼
By the time he got downstairs with me
他,呃,非常孤僻
he was, uh, very withdrawn.
他已经走神了
He was already off somewhere.
[instrumental music]
[music continues]
人们对他做的事
Things that people would do to him
他都憋在心里
he would just internalize them
他们会转化成
and they would manifest themselves
巨大的抑郁和忧虑
in tremendous fits of depression and euphoria..
一种严重的精神分♥裂♥
A very schizophrenic type thing.
当这种情况发生时
And when this would happen
在特定的时机,对,我们只能送他去住院
on certain occasions, yeah, we had to hospitalize him.
他一般会,嗯..
He would generally, uh..
封闭,内向
…close up.. introvert.
然后又会兴奋
And then…he would get excited.
就像我说的,这大概会持续4天
And he may, you know, like I say, pace for four days
差不多就这样
something like that.
他最终会筋疲力尽
Then eventually he would get exhausted.
就是这样,你知道,嗯..
So it was, you know, uh..
很难描述这是怎样变化的
It’s hard to say how it moved.
那很复杂
It was very complex.
他是个很复杂的人
He was a very complex individual.
准备好
Ready to go.

Go.
♪ Don’t you know that it’s getting closer ♪
不是吗?
Ain’t it?
不是吗?
Ain’t it?
我有事告诉你
I got something I want to tell you.
我猜他们是从50s年代中期的某个时候开始的
I guess they started somewhere in the mid-fifties
但是,呃,不是那样
but, um, they didn’t..
第一次我不确定
I’m not sure the first time
塞隆尼斯为他们进医院
Thelonious spent any time in the hospital for them.
我不认为发生过
I don’t think that happened.
我不记得60s之前发生过
I don’t recall that happening until the sixties
直到,嗯,60s年代中后期
till the, uh, mid to late sixties.
但我妈告诉我她曾看到了征兆
Uh, but my mom told me that she saw the signs of it
在很早的时候
much, much earlier.
[instrumental music]
[music continues]
[music continues]
[music continues]
[music continues]
[music continues]
[music continues]
大部分人避之不及,那是其一
Most people run from it. That was the one thing
奈丽不让我们那么做
Nellie wouldn’t allow us to do that.
我很想躲避开
My tendency was to run from it.
我不知道发生了什么
I didn’t know what was going on.
那很令人困扰
It’s a startling thing
当你看着你父亲的眼睛
when you look your father in the eye
你知道他认不出来面前的人是谁
and you know he doesn’t exactly know who you are
你一点也不想面对这样的事情
and you tend to not want to face that at all.
你想假装没有事情发生
You want to act like this is not happening.
但是我母亲让我清醒地认识到
But my mother clearly let me know
那是我们的责任
that it was our responsibility
照顾好他,就像他曾经照顾我们一样
to look out for him the way he did for us
他总是尽可能照顾我们
every minute he was able to.
她坚信不疑
[Columby narrating] She was trusting.
她是个绝佳的伙伴
She was a terrific friend.
伙伴,完全的信任和可靠
A friend. Total trust and dependence.
那时候,她刚在那家医院做过手术
She was operated on at that
time and was in the hospital
而他非常非常紧张
and he was very, very tense..
真的非常紧张,躁动
…really very tense and unsettled.
但是他仍然在工作
But he was working on that tune at that time.
[piano music]
[music continues]
[music continues]
我不知道
I don’t know..
如果没有奈丽在他身边
…if he would have made the strides he made musically
照顾生活的方方面面
had there not been a Nellie for him
他还能否在音乐上取得那些成就
to cover the other bases
奈丽的爱包容了一切
and-and have it all wrapped n love at the very same time.
小塞隆尼斯:她真的在所有人之前明白了
[Thelonious Jr. narrating] She actually understood before anyone else around him..
那时他们都是青少年
…back when they were teenagers..
她明白让这一切成长所要付出的代价
She understood what it would
take to allow this to grow.
劳斯:奈丽就好像他的右手
[Rouse narrating] Nellie was like his right hand, you know.
她会告诉他
She would tell him what to..
你知道,“你今天穿这件”,类似的事
You know, you should wear this today, or whatever.
她看起来非常照顾他
And she looks.. looking after him, whatever
你知道,饮食、等等一切事情。
You know, food and everything.
对,他们彼此非常亲近
Yeah, they were very, very close together.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!