The police then.. in the fifties, maybe earlier..
他们最喜欢抓爵士乐手
their favorite targets seemed to be Jazz musicians.
那时有些城市非常不友好。
There were some cities that were outright unfriendly
我觉得他深受其扰
and I think that bothered him.
他宁愿呆在纽约。
He’d rather stay in New York.
在那段时期
During that period
在他申请执照的过程中
in the process of getting his card.
我在第三大道发现了这家小酒吧。
I found this little bar on 3rd avenue
名字叫”五点“
called “The Five Spot”.
[instrumental music]
他将在那儿演出五六个月
And he was going to appear there five, six months..
只要一直有听众过来听
As long as crowds were coming in
我们做到了
and-and we did that.
[instrumental music]
反响非常热烈
The response was staggering.
那么多年积累的压力
The pressure’s been building all these years.
突然间你就摆脱了
Suddenly you take it off
所有那些灵光乍现出来
and all that stuff comes out.
那就是你所感觉到的,那就是他的演奏
That’s what you felt. That’s how he played.
他真是太棒了
He was just great.
[music continues]
所有来客都爱上了他的音乐
Whoever came loved what they heard.
我觉得塞隆尼斯终于被承认了
I felt Thelonious was vindicated
因为一直以来
because all this time
他作为一位艺术家,他的艺术
he had been an artist that had never had his due
从未被认同
in terms of recognition
变化就是从那时起开始发生的
and here was a beginning of that changing.
自然而然地,开始有电♥话♥打过来邀约
There were phone calls for engagements, of course.
我们现在可以宣称
We were now lucky enough to say
我们现在不出城
we don’t go out of town right now
在签这个合约之前
while before this engagement
我们会考虑周全
we would have considered anything.
我尽可能地在街上那么做
I do that on the street if I can.
有人那么做了
Somebody else do that
他们让他穿上瘦身夹克
they put him in a strait jacket.
我说:“噢,那时塞隆尼斯·蒙克,他真离谱。”
I say, “Oh, that Thelonious Monk, he’s crazy.”
[applause]
谢谢
Thank you.
喝彩不断
The applause comes anyway.
你好,伙计们
Hello, guys.
今天过得如何?
How you doing today?
嘿,我之前来过这个工作室
Hey, I was in this studio once before.
那真是好年头
That was a good year.
提奥·马切罗:“嗨”
[Teo Macero] ‘Hey!’
我们怎么样?你感觉怎么样,伙计?
How we doing? How you feel, man?
嗨,伙计,在搞什么?
Hey, man. What’s cookin’?
那是啥?你搞了个新帽子?
What’s that? You got a new hat?
呃,噢,是的,
Uh…oh, yeah,
在波兰有人给我的
this was given to me in Poland.
– 波兰吗? – 对。
– Poland? – Yeah.
嗨,拉里。
Hey, Larry.
查理·劳斯在吗?所有人都在吗?
Is Charlie Rouse here? Everybody’s here?
大本在那儿?
Where’s Big Ben?
那是我要问的
That’s what I want to know.
你们来的真及时
You guys came on time.
所有人都来了,只是晚了半小时
Hell, everybody’s here.. Only half an hour late.
劳斯:宝贝!抱着,就像圣诞礼物那样
[Rouse] ‘Baby! Hold it like it’s a Christmas present.’
[laughing]
嗨,查尔斯
Hey, Charles.
你好,T。你怎么样?
Hello, T. How you doing?
不错
Doing great.
提奥!
Teo!

Hey.
再来一遍,提奥
Play that again, Teo.
提奥!
Teo!
行,伙计
Yeah, man.
我们应该始终守时
We’re always supposed to be on time.
我打了赌
I made a bet.
伙计,让我看看眼镜
Man, let me see the glasses.
噢,我要跳舞
Oh, you’re jivin’ me.
噢,伙计
Oh, man.
劳斯:我喜欢那个,我喜欢
[Rouse] I like that. I like it.
提奥:眼镜!
[Teo] ‘The glasses!’
哪里买♥♥的?我也要来一副
Where can I get another pair like that?
我也想要一副
‘I want to get a pair.’
现在我能看清了
Now I can see.
那里面有东西吗?
Have you got anything in them?
我跟你说…太搞笑了
I tell you…that’s funny.
你是说它是隐形的?
You mean it’s invisible?
我戴了副隐形眼镜,没错
I got invisible glasses on. That’s right.
只是草稿,对吗?
Just little sketches, right?
对,我写了4小节东西
‘Yeah. I write down four bars or something.’
你知道,你写了4小节
You know, you get four bars done
待会可以弹一些
you can play later on.
你知道,我有一个月没见你了
You know, I haven’t seen you for a month.
从Vanguard那场之后
Since-since the vanguard.
对,没错
Yeah. That’s right.
时间过得真快
So the time flies.
我变老了
I’m getting older.
你变年轻了
You’re getting younger.
你那么说真贴心
It’s good of you to say that.
我在听
I’m hearing now.
你开口前我就听到了
Heard you before you said it.
让我们看看
Let’s see something..
今天来看一点自♥由♥形式的东西
Let’s see some free form things today.
自♥由♥形式,嗯?
Free form, huh?
什么?你是说,呃,就像,呃..
What, you mean, uh, like, uh..
迪克西兰?(20年代爵士乐曲风)
…Dixieland?
提奥:不,不,不,不
[Teo] ‘No, no, no, no.’
让它在不同的调子上哀嚎
‘Let it wail in different keys.’
我想让它尽量简单,人们可以从中挖出点什么,然后…
I want it easy as possible so people can dig it and then..
…然后同样很棒.
…and still be good.
我的歌♥就像是..
My songs are like that..
很简单,你知道。
It’s easy..you know.
旋律和时间,没问题
The melody and the time, it’s alright.
[instrumental music]
[music continues]
提奥:“蒙克”
[Teo] ‘Monk?’
让我们来一首认真的,我们都准备好了。
‘Let’s-let’s really do one. We’re all set.’
嗯?
Huh?
来一首
‘Let’s do one.’
我们跑一遍
We were running it over.
为什么停下来?
Why you stopping us for?

Shit.
没必要从来一遍
Not necessary to start over.
现在我们到哪儿了?
Now, where was we at, huh?
我们到哪儿了?
Where was we at
在我们被打断之前?
before we were so rudely interrupted?
那段贝斯独奏再来一次
Trying out that bass solo.
一段还是两段?你觉得呢?
One or two, however you feel.
查理·劳斯:我们开个头,做一个版本
[Charlie Rouse narrating] We’d start out and we’d do a take.
通常我们会选第一遍的版本
Usually, we’d take the first take.
有时候也用第二遍的,但是从不用第三遍的
Sometimes the second, but never the third.
他说,头一次演奏
He’d say once you play it the first time
总是最有感觉的
that’s the way the feeling is.
之后你就开始走下坡路了
After that, you start going downhill.
所以,呃,就好像,那很有挑战性
So, uh, it’s more like a challenge when you do that.
你知道,呃…
You know that, uh..
你必须在第一、二遍演奏的时候不出错
…you got to play it correctly the first or second take
要不然就完了。他无论如何都会接受的
or that’s it. He would take it anyhow.
如果你搞砸了,好,那就完了
If you mess up, well, that’s it.
你知道,那都怪你
You know, that’s your problem.
你下半辈子都只能听你犯的错
You have to hear that all the rest of your life.
[instrumental music]
[music continues]

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!