Otherwise, I’ll get fired.
不然会被开除的
Well, I like your white gloves. Congratulations.
噢,我很喜欢你的手套,恭喜你
Thanks.
谢谢
I almost forgot this.
差点忘了这个
In case someone mistakes you for a kid whose parents couldn’t round up.
不戴它你看起来就像个没请保姆…
A babysitter.
的小孩
Sorry.
抱歉
I want to be the first to congratulate you.
我想第一个来祝贺你
We are so lucky to have a boy like you!…so lucky!
我们真是幸运能碰到一个你这样的小男孩,真幸运!
What was your first invention?
你的第一个发明是什么?
Do you think your parents will be proud of you?
你觉得你父母会以你为骄傲么?
What is your astrological sign?
你是什么星座的?
So, Any other questions?
还有别的问题么?
Did you ever think that you would find another suitable candidate?
您觉得您还能找到别的获奖候选人么?
I remember,
我记得
Sitting in my office,
那时我坐在办公室
before I called him on the ranch,
给身在牧场的他打电♥话♥
and I said to myself,
我对自己说
he is only 10,
虽然他才10岁
but let’s do this!
但就这么办吧!
They’re eating you up, they’ll love you.
他们想把你吞了,他们爱死你了
In 1862 a Frenchman named Guillaume Duchenne
1862年,一个名叫吉罗姆·杜胜的法国人
discovered the difference between fake and genuine smiles.
发现了假笑和真心微笑的区别
In a fake smile, it’s not just the zygomatic muscles work,
假笑时,不仅颧弓肌肉会收缩
the muscles around the eyes also contract unconsciously.
眼睛周围的肌肉也会不自觉收缩
Tonight it was entirely ocular-zygomaticus.
今晚,笑容都是眼周-颧弓式的
Ladies and gentlemen,
女士们先生们
please welcome President of the Smithsonian,
有请史密森学院院长
Dr. Leonard Sullivan.
雷纳德·沙利文博士
Thank you very much ladies and gentlemen
谢谢各位,女士们先生们
and thank you to our guest of honor.
谢谢我们贵宾的出席
At a time
曾经一度
when science is being challenged in every turn
科学处处受到排挤
when we are witnessing a return to intellectual obscurity,
我们目睹了智慧陷于沉寂
I can not resist
我不禁
the temptation to quote Albert Einstein.
想要引用阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦的话
He said …
他说:
“Only two things are infinite:”
“只有两件事是无穷的:
“the universe and human stupidity …”
宇宙,和人类的愚蠢
and, I’m not sure about the former
对于前者,我不太了解。“
But I know a third example:
但我却知道第三个无穷:
human genius.
人类的天才。
Our guest of honor tonight is a magnificient example of this.
今晚我们的贵宾正是极好的例子
I invite you to show him
我想请大家
all the respect he deserves,
给他他应得的尊敬
despite his young years.
虽然他年纪尚小
Ladies and gentlemen, T.S. Spivet.
女士们先生们,T.S.斯比维特
Hello everybody.
大家好
My name is T.S. Spivet,
我的名字是T.S.斯比维特
I am 10 years old
我10岁
and I am actually in sixth grade.
正在读六年级
Is there anyone in this room,
在座的各位
who doesn’t already atleast have a PhD?
有谁还没有博士学位么?
Any one?
有谁吗?
So, I probably won’t be teaching you much tonight.
今晚我可能并不能给各位传授些什么知识
But I like to tell you three things.
但我想告诉各位3件事情
First,
第一
thank you …
谢谢你们
Thank you for not cancelling my award ’cause I was younger than you expected.
谢谢你们没有因为我的年纪而取消给我颁奖
Second , the wheel.
第二,关于电磁轮
As you can see they are powered by magnets.
大家能看到里面有部分零件是磁铁
Yet as you know,
你们也一定知道
they demagnetize within approximately 400 years.
400年后磁铁将会消磁
On a human scale, it sounds like a lot.
对人类时间尺度而言,400年似乎很长
In geological time, it’s not even a fraction of a second.
但对地质年代而言,却只不过是沧海一粟
So, we’re actually far from having a perpetual motion.
因此我们距离永动机还要走很长的路
Any Questions?
有问题么?
Yes, what is the third point?
嗯,那么第三件事是什么?
Oh yes, the third …
是啊,第三…
My brother died this year.
今年我弟弟死了
He shot himself in the barn.
他在谷仓里开枪打死了自己
No one talks about it.
从没有人说起这件事
No one ever said “Layton shot himself in the barn.”
从没有人说“雷顿在谷仓里开枪打死了自己”
No one.
没人
Layton and Me we were always very different.
雷顿和我一直有很多不同
I have been doing my scientific experiments,
我喜欢做我的实验
and, he would be shooting empty bean cans and coyotes with his Winchester.
他喜欢拿他的温特枪打空罐子,打土狼
So, I came up with this idea to make sound waves match the gunshots.
于是我想了个主意——制♥作♥枪声声波图
That way we could play something together.
这样我们就能一起玩了
He would shoot, and I gathered data.
他打枪,我收集数据
And
后来
one of his Winchester has jammed.
他的一只温特枪卡弹了
I held the bottom of the rifle to help out.
我帮忙扶住枪托
I didn’t even touched the trigger.
我碰都没碰扳机
There was an explosion.
一声爆♥炸♥响
Layton flew across the room.
雷顿飞起来,飞过谷仓
Blood…
血…
dripped off the hay.
从草垛上滴下来
He was there,
他躺在那
but he wasn’t my brother anymore.
他再也不是我弟弟了
I was alone.
变成了只有我一个人
I ran to the field to get my father.
我跑到农场去找父亲
His face clenched up when I said Layton had hurt himself badly.
我告诉他雷顿受伤了,很严重,然后他的脸就揪了起来
He ran back, and I stayed there,
他冲过去,我站在原地
not knowing where to go.
不知道要去哪
Then I ran to the house and hid in the bathroom.
然后我跑进房♥子躲在浴室里
I could hear my father whispering on the phone.
我听到父亲讲电♥话♥的声音
And through the window, I saw the ambulance pull without the flashing lights.
后来看到窗外开来的没亮灯的救护车
After a while, Gracie showed up.
过了一会,格雷西来了
She was crying.
她哭了
She sat next to me in the floor
她坐在我身边,抱着我
We stayed a long time like that.
我们待了很久
Lying on the floor without talking.
躺在地上,不说话
I wanted you to know how proud I am to get this award.
我想说非常荣幸我能得奖
I’ll do my best to fulfill your trust in me,
我会努力不辜负大家的信任
and to be in the service of science.
继续为科学进步而努力
That’s all I had to say. Thank you.
我说完了,谢谢
T.S., Oh…
T.S.,噢…
The amazing thing about water drops,
水滴的特别之处在于
is that they always take the path of least resistance.
它们总能找到阻力最小的道路
For humans,
对人类来说
it’s exactly the opposite.
情况刚好完全相反
When Layton died,
雷顿死后
Tapioca started chewing metal buckets till it’s gums bled.
木薯卡开始嚼铁桶,嚼得嘴都出了血
Layton and Tapioca had been inseparable.
雷顿和木薯卡曾经形影不离
And then one day,
后来有一天
Gracie took him for a long walk through the meadow.
格雷西带着木薯卡穿过草场,走了很久
They sat for a while facing the mountains.
他们一起坐下,眺望远山
Gracie returned with a new kind of understanding in their eyes.
回来时似乎达成了某种一致
Tapioca stopped chewing metal buckets.
木薯卡不再嚼铁桶了
He went back to snapping at fireflies, just like before.
他又开始捉萤火虫了,像从前一样
As if he had made peace with lossing his master.
他似乎接受了失去小主人的事实
Maybe someday, I’ll go back snapping at fireflies too.
也许有一天,我也可以再捉萤火虫
I swear to you.
给你打包票
They loved…They loved the kid! I mean,
他们爱死、爱死那小孩了!
Granted they are just a bunch of scientists,
就算他们是一堆老学究
but if their reaction is anything like the way the general public is gonna respond,
但假设大众的反应跟他们有一点点相似
we’ve got a gold mine on our hands here!
我们这回都是挖到宝了!
People are so predictable
噢,人就是爱看热闹
it’s nuts, really.
真是一群蠢蛋

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!