仅仅两周后小说就成稿了
and after two weeks, it was finished.
全书完
然后呢
And then?
然后他睡了一觉
Then he slept.
一夜无梦
Dreamless sleep.
醒来后 他打扫了房♥间
When he woke, he cleaned the apartment
然后就出发去找妻子了
and went to find his wife.
她就像个孩子
She looked like a child to him,
坐在自己从小长大的屋里
sitting in the room she grew up in.
她恳求他不要管她 自己去巴黎
She begged him to go back to Paris without her.
走吧 走
Just go. Go.
几周后 她终于回家了
A few weeks later, she finally came home.
他高兴坏了
He was so grateful to have her home.
谢谢
Thank you.
他就想抱着她
He just wanted to hold her,
想再看到她开怀大笑
see her laugh again.
你 你看过我写的故事了
So you, um…? You read my story?
没有 我还没准备好
No, I’m not ready yet.
她说她想一切从头来过
She said she wanted to start life over.
好呀
Well, that’s okay.
说的时候是多么的轻而易举啊
Said it like it would be the easiest thing in the world to do.
书在那边的行李箱里
It’s in the valise here.
没有
No.
我不明白 火车上还在的
I don’t understand, I had it with me on the train.
-什么 -在车上时小说还在的
– What? – I had it with me on the train.
但在另一个行李箱里吗
But it was in a different case?
本来不该这么小题大做的
It shouldn’t have meant anything,
但那小说在某种程度上是他的救赎
but writing that story had somehow saved him.
她怎么能不明白呢
How could she not understand?
之后多年 他一直无法原谅自己
For years, he’d never forgive himself
他不该那么在乎那些愚蠢的文字
for caring about those stupid words.
你知道吗
You know what?
不是只有你失去了女儿
You are not the only one who lost her.
听着 她落了东西在上面
She left something. Listen to me, okay?
有段时间 他们试图修复感情
For a time, they tried to patch things up together,
但再怎么努力
but you can’t erase the past,
也已经覆水难收了
no matter how much you want to.
这年轻人终于开始想家了
And for the first time, the young man began to long for home.
不久 乡愁越来越浓…
Soon the longing grew so strong he…
他便离开了
He left.
他再也没有回过巴黎
Never went back to Paris.
再也没有见过西莉亚
Never saw Celia again.
但自从弄丢了那一沓文字后
But after he lost those pages
他落笔写下的文字
he was never able to set down one word
再也没法传达心声了
that looked right to him.
大概是他不再愿意挖掘内心了
Maybe he was afraid of going that deep again.
也许他只是黔驴技穷了
Perhaps he just lost the knack.
总之 他放弃了
Anyway, he stopped trying.
又过了一段时间
And after a time…
他在北方的一个小镇安家了
he found a little town up north, settled there.
终于安定了下来
Found a kind of peace.
感觉怎样
How’s that feel?
等着
Wait.
故事还没完呢
It’s not over yet.
好戏才刚刚开始呢
This is where it really gets interesting.
在这一切都已尘埃落定后
Long after all of this faded into the past,
当年的年轻人 现在已经是个糟老头了
the young man, who was now an old man,
他无意中走进了一家书店
wandered into a bookstore.
宣传短评都说书的作者
The blurb said that the author of the story
以崭新的视角讲述了全新的故事
is a new fresh voice who had something new to say.
我翻开书开始阅读
I opened the book and began to read.
你的书
Your book.
我看到那叙述者站在婴儿床边
And the narrator was standing over a crib.
眼看他的孩子走向死亡
His child was dying,
却无能为力
and there was nothing he could do.
听着
Look…
我
I…
这是个误会 我
A misunderstanding, I…
不不 我的朋友
No, no, my friend,
-没有误会 没有 -我无意找到的
– there’s no misunderstanding, no. – I found…
你现在无路可逃了
You can’t slide out of it now.
这是我的文字
These are my words,
我的故事
my stories.
《窗之泪》是个什么破名字啊
What the fuck is a window tear anyway?
我不知道你是如何做到的
I don’t know how you did it.
老实说 我不在乎
To be brutally honest, I don’t care.
我只是觉得你有必要知道小说背后的故事
I just thought you should know the story
以免以后有人问起来
behind these stories in case anyone was to ask.
或许现在你知道下部小说要写什么了
Maybe now you’ve got your next book.
他坐在那 不觉身边喧闹的世界
“And he sat on that bench, unaware of the world,
不觉静默而缓缓流逝的时间
or of time passing around him.
几小时后 夜色初染
After a few hours, the sun finally set
罗里·詹森缓缓起身
and Rory Jansen slowly rose,
寻找归家的路
searching for his way home.”
谢谢
Thank you.
如果你想知道后面的故事
If you wanna know the rest of the story,
你就需要买♥♥下这本书
you’ll just have to buy the book.
在你的作品中
Your work, you seem hesitant
你似乎在对道德行为作评判时 有所犹豫
to draw any conclusions about our moral behavior.
对此 你有什么要说明的吗
Do you make any statements about that?
不 我的确有所犹豫
Yes, I am hesitant.
在我看来 文学和艺术的精妙之处
What I think is great about art and artists
就在于它们提出问题
is that we get to ask the questions…
即使是那些它们自身不能给出答案的问题
even though we may never know the answers.
失陪
Excuse me a minute.
抱歉 女士
Oh. Oh, excuse me, Miss,
能让我看看您的证件吗
may I seem some ID first?
你好像忙坏了
You looked like you were drowning.
不 不 我自在着呢
No, no. I’m in my element.
想离开这吗
You wanna get out of here?
本来我应该在那边
Well, ahem, I’m supposed to be over there,
跟人应酬 跟人拍照
mingling, taking pictures,
面带微笑
and smiling. Raising all that money
在这种金融危机的时候从他们那里挣钱
in these troubled economic times.
别 这听上去真糟糕
Oh. That’s too bad.
好吧 这话题是你提起的
Well, okay, you talked me into it.
-我以为你不会讲这些 -我们先把这边的事处理完
– Okay, I thought you’d never ask. – Let’s slam these.
我想看看你创作的地方
I wanna see where you write.
我保证 没什么有趣的
I can assure you, it’s not that exciting.
不如让我自己做评判吧
Why don’t you let me be the judge of that?
这里 这里很…
This place, it’s, um…
空
Empty.
很空 没错
Empty, yeah. Mm.
某种程度上 和我想象的一样
Somehow it’s exactly the way I imagined it.
是吗 所以你想象着我在一个地方住了八个月
Really? So you imagined me living in a place for eight months
却几乎没有拆开打包的东西
and barely unpacking a box?
布置得很典雅大方 哈蒙德先生
It’s very elegant, Mr. Hammond.
是吗
Oh.
-能否允许我帮你拿夹克呢 -好的
– May I take your jacket? – Yes.
看到了吧 告诉过你这里没什么有趣的
See, I told you it’s not all that exciting.
你在开玩笑吗
Are you kidding?
你这里的景观就够我写个专题了
I could write my entire dissertation on your view.
那是贝比·鲁斯打过的球
That was hit by Babe Ruth.
不幸的是
Unfortunately,
那个时候他还在该死的波士顿红袜队
it was when he was a goddamn Red Sock,
可又有什么办法呢
but what can you do?
楼下有瓶波尔多葡萄酒
I’ve got a bottle of Bordeaux downstairs
那可是专门为这种时候准备的
that’s just been screaming for an occasion like this.
听上去不错
You know, that sounds good.
-来吧 -我们不能在这喝吗
– Come on. – Can we drink it here?
-在我的书桌上吗 -不行吗