So maybe now this should be a hobby
也许你该把它当成爱好而不是事业
instead of a profession until you get your feet on the ground.
谢谢你的鼓励 老爸
Well, thanks for the encouragement, Pop.
你有没有想过多拉
What about Dora?
多拉怎么了
What about Dora?
我是说 你得有钱才能结婚呀
Well, I mean, you got to have money before you get married.
算了 抱歉浪费你的时间了
You know what? I’m sorry I wasted your time.
过来 坐下 坐下
Come here! Hey, sit down! Sit down.
居然开始提结婚…
Talking about marriage…?
怎么的 你还小吗
What are you, 11?
这是最后一次
This is the last time.
你得找份稳定的工作 养活自己
You gotta get a job, something steady, support yourself.
男人就得这样
That’s just part of being a man.
我就是在努力成为一个男人 老爸
I’m trying to be a man, Dad.
男人的另一面是
Another part of being a man,
无论有多难
no matter how painful it might be,
也得接受事实 承认自己能力有限
is accepting your own limitations.
过来
Come here.
-我爱你 -我爱你
– I love you. – I love you.
-我会还你的 -知道
– I’m gonna pay you back, you know. – Yeah.
知道 这里随时欢迎你来工作
Yeah. Hey, you can always work here.
我们会把对方烦死的
We’d kill each other.
他继续写作
“He continued to write,
执著地讲着故事
believing he had a story to tell.
哪怕有一丝出版的可能
He sent his work anywhere
他都会把作品送过去
they might publish him.
但他收到的回复都是拒绝 没兴趣
But all he heard back was rejection, disinterest,
或者是最有力的声音
or the loudest sound of all,
沉默
silence.
最后 这位伟大的作家
Finally, the great writer,
罗里·詹森被逼无奈去找了份工作
Rory Jansen was forced to take a day job.
他在纽约最大的一家出版社找了个差事
He found a position at one of the biggest publishing houses
希望能搭上些关系
in New York, hoping to make some connections.”
我在这里路子多了去了
I made a million connections here.
-怎么 你是个作家 -是的
– What, you’re a writer? – Yeah.
我把我写的东西送到这儿的多家出版社
I got all my stuff into different agents around here.
其实我很高兴没能一举成名
I’m actually glad it’s taking me a while to break through.
这给了我一个自我发展的机会
It’s given me a chance to develop my style,
了解市场
understand the market.
你主要写什么
So, what kind of stuff do you write?
应该算是愤怒的年轻人吧
Uh, angry young men, I guess.
我以前也是
I used to be like that.
现在改写科幻了
Now I write sci-fi.
你会成熟的 不用着急
You mature, you know. Just give it time.
今晚还写吗
Are you gonna write tonight? Uh…
我就在家里
I’ll just stay in and
看个电影 弄点吃的什么的
watch a movie or get food or something.
好
Okay.
不知不觉间 他们生活就进入了正轨
“Without even knowing it, they had settled into their lives.
一个周五下午 他们在市政厅登记结了婚
And on a Friday afternoon, they were married at City Hall.
并去巴黎度了蜜月
They honeymooned in Paris.”
你看够了吗
You ready?
好了
Yup.
欧内斯特·海明威
1♥8♥9♥9-1961
两分钟 好吗
Two minutes, okay?
-就两分钟 -坚决不逛古玩店了
– Just two more minutes. – No more antique shops.
谢谢 把它放下
Mm, thank you. Put that down.
-罗里 -克朗代克474
– Rory. – Klondike 474.
重复 47
Repeat 47…
这个怎么样
What do you think of this?
真不错
That’s nice.
你觉得怎么样
What do you think of it?
我觉得它很旧
I think it’s old.
我觉得很棒
I think it’s great.
我觉得如果咱们清理干净
I feel like if we clean it up,
你可以工作的时候用
you can use it for work.
-是吗 -是件精品
– Yeah? – It’s classy.
我这就去给你买♥♥下来
I’m gonna get it for you.
谢谢你 詹森太太
Thank you, Mrs. Jansen.
他们回到纽约 结束了蜜月
They returned to New York, and the honeymoon was over.
所有邮件和包裹都只交给助理
All mail and packages go to the assistants only.
艾琳
Hey, Irene.
然后 没有任何预兆的
“And then, with no warning at all,
罗里接到了一个他一直在等的电♥话♥
Rory got the call that he had been waiting for.”
谢谢 好的
Thank you. Okay.
非常感谢 好的 好
Thank you very much. All right, okay.
这家出版社一直以品味卓越著称
The agent had a reputation for impeccable taste
文学出版社
擅于挖掘青年文学巨星
and discovering young literary stars.
很不错
It’s good.
真的很好 写的很美
It’s really good. I mean, it’s a beautiful piece of writing,
你真应该为自己感到骄傲
and the truth is that you should be very proud of yourself.
非常感谢
Thank you very much.
-我付出了很多心血 -看得出来
– I worked very hard on it. – The work shows.
看到你 我都不敢相信你竟然这么年轻
I look at you, I can’t believe how young you are.
实话跟你说 罗里
I have to tell you, Rory,
你的作品让我觉得很真实
I just see so much truth in your work.
我 我 我很感动
I, I am… I’m so impressed.
真不敢相信 太…
I can’t believe this. This is…
但不幸的是
But unfortunately,
目前出版业的这种状态
the nature of the publishing business right now,
在这个年代 我不知道
at this particular time, is such that I don’t know
如何去出版这样一本书
how to publish a book like this.
罗里 没有人会买♥♥这种书
Look, Rory, no one is gonna support a book like this.
-这种书 -一个没有名气的作家
– Book like this? – From an unknown writer.
根本没有市场
There’s just no market for it.
任何一个作家 在任何情况下
Now, it’s hard for any writer, under any circumstances,
没有出书♥记♥录都很难出书 而这本书
without a track record to get published. And this book,
它很内敛
I mean, it’s so interior.
内敛 什么意思
Interior? What is that?
美妙 精致 它…
It’s artistic, it’s subtle. It’s…
堪称艺术品
It’s a piece of art.
所以这本书 我还是该束之高阁然后忘掉它
So this book, I should just shelve this and forget about it.
只是… 我花了三年的时间才完成
I just… I spent three years working on it.
我只是想实话实说
I’m just trying to be honest with you.
我只想让你看清现实
I’m just telling you the reality of the situation.
耐心点
Have patience.
如果我不相信你
You know, I wouldn’t have brought
我是不会让你来这儿的
you in here if I really didn’t believe in you.
[各种出版机构的婉拒信]
会好起来的
You’re gonna be fine.
我们九月份有两周时间空闲
So we have two weeks in September.
我们计划出去旅行
We’re planning a trip.
我们想租… 什么来着 要租艘船
We think we’re gonna charter… What? We’re gonna charter a boat.
我们要去土耳其 得有艘船
We’re going to Turks, but we’re gonna get a boat.
-差不多五十英尺 -很正常
– Like a 50-footer. – Nothing crazy.
很不错 但九月的前两周
Great, but it’s the first two weeks of September.
-九月初… -那就整艘潜水艇
– It’s the beginning… – Get a sub.
机会错过会后悔的
You don’t wanna miss this.
-会很好玩儿的 -会很棒
– This is gonna be truly great. – It’s gonna be amazing.
早饭 午饭 晚饭
Breakfast, lunch, dinner.
直接从海里钓鱼
You pull out fish,
再让人拿去做 太棒了
right out of the ocean, they cook them up. It’s incredible.
潜水 跳水 全新的享受
Snorkeling, diving. Totally different on a boat.
那个故事一直萦绕在他脑海里
“He couldn’t stop thinking about that story.
它从何而来
Where did it come from?
是谁写的
Who had written it?
那些文字
In those words,
让他体验了他一直渴求的
he had been confronted by everything he had ever aspired to be,
而在现实中却永远无法实现的一切
and the reality of what he would never become.”
哥们儿 你怎么回事
Buddy, what’s going on with you, man?
-走神走到哪去了 -我们真希望你们去