生活真是变得越来越让人欣喜
Life doesn’t get much better.
我的天啊
Oh, my God.
刚才的事 你想怎么喷都随你
Say what you like about the crap we put each other through.
我们的日子真是越来越好了
We still have a wonderful fucking life.
你真是个天赋异禀的作家 大卫
You’re a really gifted writer, David.
但你自己知道的
But you know that.
谢谢你 老爸 谢谢你这么说
Thank you, Dad. I appreciate that.
我很喜欢你的故事 结构非常好
I liked your story. Well-constructed.
但是?
But?
好吧 谁的第一个作品供人品评时都会有人说”但是”
Well, there’s always a “but” with the first draft.
别丧气 你想听听我的意见吗?
Come on. Do you wanna hear this?
是的 你说吧 -好的
Yeah, sure, go on. – Okay.
我不是很赞同你对于那对夫妇的设定
Well, I don’t completely buy what you did with the couple.
满嘴跑火车的丈夫 忍♥气吞声的妻子
The blowhard husband, the stoic wife with the repressed rage.
这种设定早有人写过 太俗套了
We’ve seen it before. It’s a cliché.
我觉得你可以做出更好的角色设计
I think you can do better.
天啊
Jesus.
好吧
Okay.
这些都是写作生涯的一部分 大卫
It’s all part of the process, David.
很痛苦 我懂的
It’s painful. I know that.
写作有时会很痛苦
Writing can be fucking agony.
是的 宝贝 很可怕
Yes, darling, it’s dreadful.
你会受到各种痛苦折磨
You’ve suffered enormously.
该回去休息了吧?
Time for bed, huh?
我跟你妈先上楼 -好的
I’m gonna take your mother upstairs. – Sure.
你慢慢吃 别熬太晚了
You enjoy yourself. Don’t stay up too late.
晚安 宝贝
Night, darling.
给你姐姐打电♥话♥吧 她会很开心的
Call your sister. She’d love to hear from you.
有烟吗?
Cigarette?
抱歉 我们这不卖♥♥烟
Sorry. We don’t sell any cigarettes here.
好吧
All right.
你可以抽我的
You can have one of mine.
嘿 -嘿
Hey. – Hey.
谢谢
Thanks.
我一直在观察他们
I’ve been watching them.
那个女孩喜欢咬头发
The girl likes to chew her hair,
而那个男的会不经意有某种奇怪的抽搐动作
and the guy has got some sort of weird twitch.
是啊 他们是挺差劲的
Yeah. They’re pretty screwed up.
我们谁不都有点糟心的事啊?
Well, aren’t we all?
知道吗 我爸爸曾是耶鲁大学的一个老师
You know, my dad was a teacher at Yale.
《伊利亚特》
相传是由盲诗人荷马(Homer,公元前800-公元前600)所作史诗
他以前总让我在晚饭时背诵《伊利亚特》
He used to make me recite the Iliad at dinner,
用希腊语背诵
in Greek.
这也太狠了吧
That’s fucked up.
这才哪到哪啊
You haven’t heard the half of it.
真正恶心人的是
And the really, really fucked-up thing is,
他一句都听不懂
he didn’t understand a word of it.
你想喝点什么 大卫?
What are we drinking, David?
我这有个作家 我认为他将是下一个亨利·米勒
I have a writer who I think is the next Henry Miller.
纽约 1960年
亨利·米勒 美国作家
他嗜酒如命 或许再过几年就会自杀
He’s a hopeless drunk and will probably self-destruct in a few years,
所以我建议我们现在就找到他
so I suggest we grab him now.
好吧 我会看一眼他的作品的
All right, I’ll give it a read.
美女 给我倒满 好不好?
Honey, top me off, will you?
我这有个女性作家的小说
I’ve a novel here by a lady writer.
是关于一个美国家庭三代人的故事
It’s about an American family, spans three generations.
写得非常好 天赋很高
It’s great writing, kind of brilliant.
但我觉得文笔有点软 -软?
But I thought it was a little soft. – Soft?
对啊 毕竟这是出自那个女作家的观点
Well, it comes from the point of view of this woman.
我也说不好 反正这点我不看好
I don’t know. It just didn’t grab me.
她长得好看吗? -还行吧
Is she good-looking? – So-so.
那犹太作家呢?谁手里现在有年轻聪颖的犹太作家的作品吗?
How about Jewish writers? Anyone have any smart, young Jewish writers?
所有大出版社都有一个 我们的在哪?
All the big houses have one. Where the hell is ours?
鲍尔先生
Mr. Bower.
我想我认识一位犹太作家
I think I may have what you’re looking for.
我从哈林区刚走回来 喝了五倍浓咖啡
So, I walked to Harlem and back, I had five espressos,
这一路我抽了半包烟
and I made my way through a pack and a half of cigarettes.
你让我说实话
You asked me to be honest.
那就说吧
So, talk.
很抱歉 乔 这作品在我来看没戏
I’m so sorry, Joe, but it just doesn’t work for me.
你什么意思?
What do you mean?
总觉的有些地方很死板
Somehow it never comes alive.
你太主观了 也许我该找个能客观评价的人
The subject is too close to you. I should get a more objective opinion.
你的角色都是木偶 乔
Your characters are wooden, Joe.
别吃心 但你没有把角色写活了
No offense, but you didn’t make them real.
这话说得太笼统 说仔细点
That doesn’t mean anything. Get specific.
我就说一点吧
Well, for one thing,
你设计的人物对话很呆板
your dialogue is stilted.
我看看能不能给你找个例子 -我不听了
Let me see if I can get an example. – Fuck this.
搞他妈什么啊这是 这条路走不远
What the fuck? Okay, this is not gonna work.
什么路走不远 -我们 我们俩走不远
What isn’t? – This whole thing. You and me.
我们俩搞的这出爱情故事 你想怎么叫它都随你
This love affair of ours, whatever you wanna call it.
乔 我不喜欢你的作品 不代表我不爱你
Joe, just because I don’t love your novel doesn’t mean I don’t love you.
你如果爱我的话
How could you love me
怎么会说我的作品是垃圾? -乔
if you think I’m a hack? – Joe.
我怎么可能跟不尊重我的人在一起呢?
Look, how can I be with someone who doesn’t respect me?
我尊重你啊… -你根本不尊重我
I do… – You have no respect for me.
我尊重你 只不过我表达尊重的方式有很多
I do respect you. I respect you in all kinds of ways.
很多方式? 拉他妈倒吧
All kinds of ways. Well, fuck that.
告诉我你相信我是个作家
Tell me you believe in me as a writer.
这不过是你的第一份作品而已 乔 -拉倒吧 小琼 我们完了
It’s only your first draft, Joe. – Screw this, Joanie. It’s over.
我俩分了
This relationship’s doomed.
我回去还能干什么?
What am I supposed to do when I’m back in…
去一所二流大学继续教英语吗?
Go back and teach English at some second-rate college?
很显然 因为我跟我的学生搞上了
Since I obviously blew it with the Ivy Leagues
回常青藤学校任教这条路肯定是没戏了
by screwing one of my students.
我不只是你的一个学生 乔
I’m not just one of your students, Joe.
不 你可是有巨大潜能的女孩
No, you’re the girl with the golden touch.
未来你将会轰动整个文学界
You’ll go on to be a literary sensation
而我只能在家边炖肉边给学生判卷纸
while I stay at home grading papers and cooking the pot roast.
我不会轰动文学界的 你这个混♥蛋♥ 我永远也不能
I’m not gonna be a literary sensation, you bastard, not ever.
不会有人愿意出版我的作品的
No one will ever publish my books,
即使出版了 也不会有人读
and even if they did, no one would read them.
我不是像你那样总是心中充满抱负
I’m not full of big ideas the way you are.
你才是那个能写出真正问章的人 不是我
You’re the one that has something to say, not me.
求你别离开我
Please don’t leave me.
如果没有你 我的人生毫无意义
If I lose you, my life is over.
我哪也不去
I’m not going anywhere.
我不想失去你
I don’t wanna live without you.
我也是
I don’t wanna live without you either.
小琼 人生真是太不公平了
Joanie, life is so fucking unfair.
好了 我们先冷静下来 好吧?
Okay. Let’s just calm down, all right?
我们会没事的
We’ll be okay. Let’s…
好了
Okay.
我们该怎么办?
What are we gonna do?
我不知道 让我先…
I don’t know. I just…
让我先想想
Let me think.
你认为那个肯定没戏吗?
So, you think it’s hopeless?
就是我写的那堆垃圾?
This piece of shit I wrote?
那不是垃圾 乔
It’s not a piece of shit, Joe.
故事很吸引人
It’s a very compelling story.
所有设定都可圈可点
All the ideas are there.
我看得出来
I can see it.
我能修改其中的不足
I could fix it.
你想我修改你的作品吗?
Do you want me to fix it?
乔?
Joe?
他怎么说?
What did he say?
他很喜欢
He loved it.
他们愿意出版吗? -愿意
They wanna publish it? – Yeah.
他们愿意出版? -是的
They wanna publish it? – Yes!

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!