你好 孩子在上面
Hello. The baby’s up here.
卡洛儿 你能帮我那一下领带吗?
Carol, could you get my tie for me, please?
就在床上呢 -我知道
It’s on the bed. – Yeah, I know that.
你能帮我那一下吗?
Could you get it for me?
琼 上去吧
Joan, go on up.
这就是我的生活 上帝救救我吧
This is my life, God help me.
没事的 宝贝
It’s okay.
没事的
It’s all right.
我爱上你♥爸♥爸了
I’m falling in love with your daddy.
我的天啊 -早上好 卡索曼先生
Oh, my God. – Good morning, Mr. Castleman.
这是…
That’s…
这我是桑塔·露西亚 她来此向您这位伟大的作家表达敬意
This is Santa Lucia, who has come to show her respect for a great writer.
抱歉 桑塔·露西亚?
Sorry, Santa Lucia?
对 我想我昨天通知过您相关事宜了
Yes, I believe I informed you about this yesterday.
你可能告诉我了 我不…
Well, you probably did. I don’t…
这真漂亮 谢谢你们
That looks wonderful. Thank you.
抱歉我先离开下
Excuse me.
你去哪 亲爱的 -我得去洗漱
Where are you going, honey? – I gotta freshen up.
如果给您带来任何不便 我深表歉意
I’m so sorry if this was any kind of inconvenience.
我得说我其实很感谢你们能来 我刚才正做噩梦呢
I have to say I’m rather grateful. I was in the middle of a nightmare.
我刚才梦到我回到了布鲁克林跟我妈妈一起住
I was back in Brooklyn living with my mother.
她说 乔 我有个坏消息
And she says, “Joe, I have some terrible news.”
然后还没等我妈说是什么呢 我那身材袖珍
And before she can get it out, my tiny Russian grandmother,
长得像个脚凳的俄♥罗♥斯♥祖母就对她喊道
who’s built like a footstool, screams at her.
别在吃饭前说 你会害他没胃口的
“Not before dinner. You’ll ruin his appetite.”
你会害他没胃口的
“You’ll ruin his appetite.”
抱歉 我也不想打断你们
Excuse me, I hate to interrupt this wonderful exchange,
但我得让卡索曼一家人
but I’d like to introduce the Castlemans
和另一位获奖人及其家属见面了
to another one of our laureate families.
好的 待会儿再聊 先生们
Okay, good. I’ll see you later, gentlemen.
詹姆斯·芬奇将获得的是诺贝尔物理学奖
James Finch is getting our prize in physics.
他才华出众且平易近人
He’s a brilliant man and nice as can be.
好
Good.
詹姆斯·芬奇 我介绍一下 这位是小说家乔瑟夫·卡索曼
James Finch, may I introduce you to the novelist Joseph Castleman?
见到您是我的荣幸 -我也是
A pleasure to meet you, Joseph. – And you.
我真的很想说 我看过你所有的作品
I wish I could say that I’d read all your books.
那我也真想说 我看得懂你所有的公式
Well, I wish I could say that I understood all your formulas.
我看过您的作品 我跟您说
I’ve read your books and, I promise you,
您的作品比詹姆斯那些随笔要好出太多
they’re a far better read than James’ scribblings.
这位是我的妻子 康丝坦斯 她也是以为科学家
My wife, Constance, is a scientist as well.
正如您所见 她经常批评我的作品
As you can see, she’s quite critical of my work.
我妻子并不从事写作 谢天谢地
Well, my wife doesn’t write, thank God,
要是她也写作的话 我永远也不会有出头之日
otherwise I’d suffer permanent writer’s block.
你们好 我是琼
Hello. I’m Joan.
你好
Hello.
琼是我此生挚爱
Joan is the love of my life.
我给你们介绍下我的孩子们 这位是艾伦
Let me introduce my children. This is Ellen.
我就指望她能尽快找到治疗老年痴呆的办法了
I’m counting on her to find the cure to Alzheimer’s
这样等我老年痴呆的时候就有得治了
just in time for my own dementia.
这是我的儿子 大卫 是个作家
My son, David, is a writer.
他的作品越来越像样了
He’s developing quite a voice.
我的儿子山姆正在研究导电聚合物
Well, Sam is working in conductive polymers.
彼得对质因子情有独钟
Peter is interested in prime factors.
而切斯特嘛
And Chester, well,
他试图证明弦理论是假的
he’s trying to disprove the string theory.
这有点超出他能力范围 但我们都支持他
It’s a bit out of his league, but we indulge him.
抱歉 卡索曼先生 我得带您走了
I’m so sorry, Mr. Castleman. I have to steal you away.
一会儿就是您的讲座了 请跟我来
We have to go to your lecture. Follow me, please.
谢谢
Thank you.
那我就…
Well, I’ll…
认识你很高兴 詹姆斯
Good to meet you, James.
我也是 乔瑟夫 -还有你也是
Wonderful to meet you, Joseph. – Yes, and you, of course.
我很荣幸 简 -我叫琼
A pleasure, Jean. – Joan.
抱歉了 -没关系
My apologies. – No matter.
所以呢 水热液化中最难的一点
So the main problem that we’re having
就是有高含量矿物质的….
with the hydrothermal liquefaction is the high mineral content of the…
你好 -你好
Hi. – Hi.
你怎么样? -我还好
How are you? – I’m fine.
您呢? -我好极了
And you? – No, I’m very good.
我能拍张照吗? -当然可以
Can I take a picture? – Of course.
待会见
Catch you later.
大卫 能求你个事吗?
And, David, will you do me a favor?
下次我跟别人介绍你的时候 最好跟别人有些眼神交流
Next time I introduce you, try a little eye contact.
可以
Sure.
下次呢 介绍我时别说 这是我儿子 是个半成品作家
And next time, don’t refer to me as your son, the half-baked writer.
你怎么这么说? -他的作品越来越像样了?
What are you talking about? – “He’s developing his voice”?
这话是什么意思?
What is that supposed to mean?
是事实啊 你的作品确实越来越像样了
It’s a fact. You are developing your voice.
想成为一位成熟的作家需要经历时间的洗礼 就像我当初那样
And it takes a little time, just as it took me time to develop mine.
不 不需要什么时间 你一开始写作就是好作品
No, it didn’t. You had a hit novel right out of the gate.
小伙子 我经历了许多人生困境的
I grew up hard, my friend.
真正的自己过活一下 看看能从中得到什么
You live a little, let’s see what you come up with.
不许你在车里吸烟 -我打开窗户抽总可以了吧
You’re not smoking in here. – I can open the window.
不行 外面现在多冷啊
Forget it. It’s zero fucking degrees out there.
你就不应该抽烟
You shouldn’t be smoking anyway.
是吗?那你还不应该吃那么多动物脂肪呢
Yeah? And you shouldn’t be stuffing your face with animal fat.
你♥他♥妈♥这是抽什么风啊?
What the fuck is the matter with you?
行了 你俩都闭嘴 别吵了
Stop it now. Stop it, both of you.
你生气是因为我没跟你谈你的作品如何吗?
Are you pissed because we haven’t discussed your story?
你是因为这事生气吗?
Is that what’s bugging you?
我才不想跟你讨论呢
I don’t need to discuss something that you have been avoiding
你一直把我放在你桌子上的小说
like some steaming pile of shit
当做一坨冒着热气的大便
that I deposited on the desk.
我确实读了你的小说 好吧?
I have read your story, okay?
我的意见是 这作为你的处♥女♥作 还算不错
And my opinion is it’s a solid start.
但你想听的肯定不是这话 是吧?
But that’s not what you wanna hear, is it?
你想听的是你的作品是一个震古烁今的伟大小说
No, you wanna hear it’s a breathtaking work of genius.
我才不想听这句话呢 爸爸 你把我当什么人了
That’s not what I wanna hear. Jesus fucking Christ, Dad.
别吵了 -别…
Stop it. – Don’t…
别吵了 -真是受够了
Stop it. – Such a prick.
大卫 今天的余下时间 你想自己待一会吗?
David, would you like to spend the rest of the day on your own?
那他就会错过我的讲座的
He’s going to miss my lecture.
大卫 你想这样吗? -是的
David, would you like that? – Yeah, I would.
你自己想干什么?
What are you going to do with yourself?
这是斯德哥尔摩 是欧洲的大城市
It’s Stockholm. It’s a major European city.
是啊
Yeah.
你想在这下车吗?在这街边?
Shall I let you off here? On the street?
这样你满足了吗?
Would that do you?
古斯塔夫 请停车好吗?
Gustav, would you pull over, please?
好的
Okay, sir.
我给你点钱
I’m gonna give you some money.
你记得回酒店的路吗 -记得
Do you know the way back to the hotel? – Yeah.
你回来的时候告诉我们一声 行吗?
You check in with us when you get back, okay?
行 谢谢了 妈妈
Yeah, sure. Thanks, Mom.
真是够了
Jesus.
乔 当你儿子挺难的 -得了吧
It’s not easy being your son, Joe. – Come on.
哪个儿子都不好当
It’s not easy being anyone’s son.
你可以表现得更以他为傲一些
You could act a little prouder of him.
不如他自己再更努力一些
Or he could work a little harder.
直接夸他才学出众对他一点好处都没有
We wouldn’t be doing the kid any favor telling him he’s brilliant.
我认为他挺有才华的 -是啊 你该告诉他的
I think he has talent. – Yeah, well, you should tell him.
这话由我说是没用的
It doesn’t mean anything coming from me.
他想听你说这话
He has to hear it from you.
他不该因为我的赞许才去写作
He shouldn’t need my approval to write.
每个人都需要赞许 乔
Everyone needs approval, Joe.
是啊
Yeah.
这鞋快折磨死我了
These shoes are killing me.
来 把脚伸过来
Here, come here.
来 伸过来
Come here. Give me.
乔 别在演讲里提及什么感谢我之类的话
Joe, please don’t thank me in your speech.