所以我们不得不花两天时间 去到另一个村庄
so we had to travel two days to another village.
我去找个医生
I’ll find a doctor.
根本没有医生来
No doctor ever came.
选举承诺让我明白到
Election promises had taught me
绝不能成为 一个自♥由♥的民♥主♥国家的穷♥人♥
how important it is not to be a poor man in a free democracy.
神明之名就是真理…
God’s name is the truth
我父亲即使在死后 都在抵抗自己的命运
Even in death, he was resisting his fate.
抗拒死亡 重生 再次死去 一切都是徒劳
Resisting to die, be reborn, and die again, all for nothing.
我在这一刻明白到
I understood in this moment,
要在印度赢取自♥由♥有多么艰难
how hard it is for a man to win his freedom in India.
直到后来 我才明白了其中的原因
Later, I came to realize why.
这个国家在上万年的历史中
The greatest thing to come out of this country
创造出来的最伟大的东西是鸡笼
in its 10,000-year history the rooster coop.
它们能看到同类流血 并闻到血腥味
They can see and smell the blood.
它们知道下一个被宰的就是自己 但它们却不反抗
They know they are next, yet they don’t rebel.
它们不会试图从笼子里逃出去
They don’t try and get out of the coop.
这里的仆人们 被教导了同样的行为方式
Servants here have been raised to behave the same.
他车上载着的家具 价值至少等于他两年的薪水
The furniture on his back is worth at least two years his salary,
但他还是会忠诚地 把这些钱送回他老板那里
and yet he will faithfully pedal the money back to his boss
而且绝不会碰那些钱
without ever touching a single rupee.
没有一个仆人敢碰
No servant does.
为什么?因为印度人是世界上 最诚实、最追求灵性的民族?
Why? Because Indians are the world’s most honest and spiritual people?
不是
No.
那是因为我们中百分之99点9的人 都被困在了鸡笼里
It’s because 99.9% of us are caught in the rooster coop.
仆人们是如此可靠
The trustworthiness of servants is so strong
即使你把解放之匙放在一个仆人手中
that you can put the key of emancipation in a man’s hand
他也会咒骂着把钥匙扔回给你
and he will throw it back at you with a curse.
我学会了偷听顾客们的对话
I had learned to use my time to eavesdrop on customers,
等待一个机会
waiting for an opportunity.
你们想喝茶吗?上茶!
Would you like some tea? Put on some tea!
我哥哥早就不这么干了
Something my brother had given up on long ago.
快点
Make it quickly.
你聋了吗?去干活
Are you deaf? Get to work.
伟大的社♥会♥主♥义♥者
阁下 我知道 像您这样的共♥产♥主义者不信神
I know communists like you don’t believe in God, sir,
但是您相信命运吗?
but do you believe in fate?
那是我第一次看见他 阿鹳的小儿子 阿肖克先生
That was when I first saw him, the Stork’s youngest son, Mr. Ashok.
他当时刚从美国搬回印度 回到了丹巴德
He had just moved from America back to India, to Dhanbad,
他的家族在这个地方靠煤炭发家
where his family had made a fortune in coal.
我当时就知道 这一位就是我的主人
I knew then, this was the master for me.
我偷听到他们说要再找一个司机 负责接送阿肖克先生
I overheard them saying they need a second driver for Mr. Ashok.
他才刚回来…
He’s just come back…
可是你不会开车!
But you don’t know how to drive!
我只需要三百卢比报名学开车…
I just need 300 rupees for the driving lessons and…
想都别想!你总是像你♥爸♥那么无礼
No! You’ve always been insolent like your father.
你就待在这里 跟基善在一起
You’ll stay right here with Kishan.
奶奶给他找了个老婆
Granny had married him off,
限他两个星期内跟他老婆圆房♥
given him two weeks to dip his beak into his wife,
现在他被困在这里了 我以后也会被困在这里
and now he was stuck here.I would be too.
好吧 算了
Okay, forget it.
我还想着如果我可以给他们当司机 你就可以买♥♥一群水牛…
I thought if I became their driver, you’d buy a bunch of water buffaloes?
让全村人眼红
and be the envy of the village.
你是说你会给地主当司机?
So you’ll become a driver for the landlords?
你就可以成为全村最有钱的女人
You could be the richest woman in the village.
以你信仰的所有神明之名发誓
Swear on all the gods you believe in
你每个月 都会把你的全部工资寄给你奶奶
that you’ll send every rupee,every month, to your Granny.
-我发誓 -别嬉皮笑脸的!
– I swear. – Stop smiling!
五指并拢发誓!
Pinch your hand and swear!
我五指并拢了 奶奶 你就想想…
I’m pinching! Granny, just think?
你会成为村子里最有钱的女人
You’ll become the richest woman in the village.
以后你这么一挥这根拐杖 它就会变成金子做的…
This cane will become gold, and when you swing it like this,
整个村子的人都会排队来看你
the entire village will line up to see you.
先别跑!奶奶做了你最爱吃的!
Wait! Granny made your favorite!
吃你那油腻腻的秋葵吧! 我要去丹巴德吃饭!
You eat your oily okra! I’m gonna eat in Dhanbad!
丹巴德
现在 我只需要学会开车就好
And now, I just had to learn to drive.
小心一点 畜生!
Watch out, sister-fucker!
你的种姓是制糖的
You’re from a caste of sweet makers.
只有来自武士阶层的男人 才能驯服野马
Only a boy from a warrior class can tame a wild stallion.
穆♥斯♥林♥、拉杰普特人、锡克教♥徒♥ 流着攻击者的血液
Muslims, Rajputs, Sikhs have aggression in their blood.
你为什么不继续做糖?
Why don’t you stick to making sweets?
只会开车还不够 你必须成为合格的司机
It’s not enough to drive. You’ve got to become a driver.
任何人想超你的车 你就这样做…
Anyone tries to overtake you, do this?
滚远一点 死畜生!
Out of the way, sister-fucker!
别挡我的道 畜生!
Outta my way, fucker!
马路如莽林
The road is a jungle.
好司机必须咆哮才能在路上前进!
A good driver must roar to get ahead on it!
找到他们家并不难
It wasn’t so hard to find out where they lived.
但我必须穿过这道门才能成功
I just had to get through the door.
-什么事? -先生 您好
– Yeah? – Namaste, sir.
你有什么事?
What do you want?
先生 你们需要司机吗?
Any need of a driver, sir?
我当司机四年了 我的主人最近刚去世…
I’ve got four years’ experience. My master recently died, so I…
滚吧 我们已经有司机了
Get lost. We have a driver already.
我看到你们有两辆车 但是你们有两个司机吗?
I see you have two cars, sir, but do you have two drivers?
你有什么毛病?快滚吧 王八蛋
What’s wrong with you? Get lost, motherfucker.
先生?这是您的房♥子吗?
Sir? This is your house?
您好 先生!我跟您是同村的 来自拉奇芒格阿尔
Namaste, sir. I’m from your village, sir! From Laxmangarh.
-拉奇芒格阿尔? -对 先生!
– Laxmangarh? – Yes, sir!
肯定是有神明保佑我们!
The gods must be watching over us!
先生 我以前就在 十字路口那个茶水摊工作!
I used to work at the tea stall, sir, at the main junction!
以前我曾把茶端到您的大使牌轿车旁
And I would bring tea to your Ambassador car.
让那年轻人进来
Let the boy in.
-可是 先生… -让他进来
– But, sir… – Let him in.
我真不敢相信是您 先生
I can’t believe it’s you, sir.
自从您离开后 庄稼都死了
How the crops died since you left.
我们祈祷…
And we prayed that?
您子孙满堂 继续管理我们的村子
ou should have more sons to keep rule in the village, sir.
起来吧
Get up.
村民们还记得我?
Do people still remember me?
当然记得了 先生
Of course, sir.
我们都说 您的离开就像是我们的父亲离开了
We all say our father is gone, sir.
先生 您是地主中最好、最神圣的 就像圣雄甘地
The best and the most holy of the landlords, like Gandhi-ji, sir.
像甘地?
Like Gandhi?
-是的 先生 圣雄甘地 -好吧
-Ji, sir. Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi-ji. -Okay. Okay.
你有什么事?
What do you want?
先生 请允许我
Sir, with your permission, sir,
当您的司机 或当令郎的司机
I want to be a driver for you? or for your son.
-你是穆♥斯♥林♥吗? -不是
– Are you Muslim? – No, sir.
我经常洗澡
I bathe regularly,
先生 我注重个人卫生 而且我很勤快
keep myself clean, sir, and I’m not lazy.
-你好 我叫阿肖克 -嘿 别自作主张
– Hey, I’m Ashok. – Hey, don’t do that.
你需要一个司机 我们让他开车转一圈
You need a driver, let’s take him for a spin.
-看他车技如何 -好的 先生
– See how good he is. – Yes, sir.
我运气真好 是猫鼬
Just my luck, the Mongoose.
-他开车很稳 -对
– He drives well. – Yeah.
-你来自哪个种姓? -哈拉外 先生
– What’s your caste? – Halwai, sir.
这是高等还是低等种姓?
Is that a high caste or low?
在古代 印度是世界上最富裕的国家
In the old days,when India was the richest nation on Earth,
这里有上千个种姓 各有各的命运
there were 1,000 castes and destinies.
可现在 这里只有两个种姓
These days, there are just two castes.
有权有势者和无权无势者
Men with big bellies and men with small bellies.
也只有两种命运 吞食他人或被他人吞食
And there are only two destinies, eat or get eaten up.
是低种姓 先生
– Low caste, sir. – Ugh!
-我们所有仆人都来自高种姓 -他的种姓有什么所谓?
– All our servants are high caste. – Why does his caste matter?
-你喝酒吗? -不喝 先生
– You drink? – No, sir.
-我们种姓的人从不喝酒 先生 -那你们干什么?
– In my caste we never drink. – So what do you do?
偷东西?
Steal?
哈拉外?
Halwai?
-你是制糖的吧? -是的 先生
– You’re a sweet maker? – Yes, sir.
所以你才会对我们说这些甜言蜜语?
That’s why you’re so sweet to us?

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!