德里 2007年
-我现在该换成龙舌兰酒吗?可… -好呀
– Should I switch to tequila now? – Why not?
-王公 唱歌♥给我听!唱呀! -唱呀!
– Maharaja, sing for me! Sing! – Sing! Sing!
他怎么靠马路这边开? 搞什么?干吗?
Why is he on this side of the road? What is happening? What?
-他怎么这样开车? -夫人 让我来开车吧?
– Why is he driving like that? – Madam, should I drive now?
-王公 你担心是吗? -不是 我不担心
– Are you worried, Maharaja? – No, no, I’m not worried.
你就是担心
You’re worried.
夫人 有牛!
Madam, cow!
那头牛不会动的
The cow’s not gonna move.
我的天啊 快睡觉啦!
Holy cow, so jao!
这是最棒的生日 我本来去不成的 幸好…
This was the best birthday. I never would have made it if?
祝你生日快乐…
Happy birthday to you
我的天啊
Oh, my God!
祝你生日快乐
Happy birthday to you
你真是个…
You’re such a?
祝你生日快乐 平姬
Happy birthday, dear Pinky
祝你生日…
Happy birthday
请见谅 以这种方式 开始讲一个故事不太恰当
Pardon me, this is no way to start a story.
我毕竟是印度人
I’m Indian, after all,
印度民族有一个古老而受尊崇的传统
and it is an ancient and venerated custom of my people
那就是在故事的开头向神明祈祷
to start a story by praying to a higher power.
所以我也应该先亲吻某个神明的脚 可是选哪个神明呢?
So I, too, should start off by kissing some God’s foot, but which God?
穆♥斯♥林♥有一个神 基♥督♥教有三个神
The Muslims have one.The Christians have three.
我们印度教有三千六百万个神明
And we Hindus have 36 million.
那么就一共有三千六百万
Making a grand total of 36 million
零四只神圣的脚 供我选择
and four divine feet for me to choose from.
有些人认为这些神明根本不存在
There are some who think that none of these gods exist,
但在我们国家 一会儿信神一会儿不信神有好处
but in my country, it pays to play it both ways.
印度企业家必须正直又狡诈 冷嘲热讽又心怀虔诚
The Indian entrepreneur has to be straight and crooked, mocking and believing,
刁滑又真诚 同时兼具这些特质
sly and sincere, all at the same time.
中国总理温♥家♥宝♥
Wen Jiabao, Prime Minister of China,
本月将抵达印度 会见印度主要的企业家
will arrive in India this month to meet with leading Indian entrepreneurs.
中国总理希望了解 印度蓬勃发展的经济
The Chinese Premier hopes to learn about the growing Indian economy.
这两个经济超级大国的会面 将受到全世界关注
The eyes of the world are watching as these two economic superpowers meet.
班加罗尔 2010年
预计温♥家♥宝♥将…
Jiabao is expected to
家宝先生 阁下
Mr. Jiabao, Your Excellency,
当我听说您将前来印度 会见一些印度企业家时
when I heard you were coming to meet some Indian entrepreneurs,
我就知道我必须与您联♥系♥
I just knew I had to email you.
北♥京♥总理办公室 温♥家♥宝♥阁下亲启
尽管我们国家缺乏饮用水、电力
Our nation, though it has no drinking water, electricity,
污水处理系统、公共交通
sewage system, public transportation,
卫生意识、自律、礼貌及守时观念
sense of hygiene, discipline, courtesy, or punctuality,
但是印度不缺乏企业家
does have entrepreneurs.
温♥家♥宝♥总理希望了解 印度蓬勃发展的外包经济…
Prime Minister Jiabao wants to learn about India’s booming outsourcing economy
阁下 我关注贵国的崛起 已经有一段时间了
I’ve been following the rise of your country for some time, sir.
我知道贵国人♥民♥ 热爱独♥立♥自主与个人自♥由♥
I know you Chinese are great lovers of freedom and individual liberty.
英国曾试图让贵国沦为他们的仆人
The British tried to make you their servants,
但你们从来没有让他们得逞
but you never let them.
总理先生 这让我非常钦佩
I admire that, Mr. Premier.
您可知道 我以前也曾是一个仆人
You see, I was a servant once.
现在我是班加罗尔的一位知名企业家 这里有“印度硅谷”之称
Today, I am a celebrated entrepreneur in Bangalore,the Silicon Valley of India.
据说这个称号♥是模仿美国的硅谷
They say it’s named after a Silicon Valley in America,
但我认为我们有如下的共识 美国已经是明日黄花了
but I think we can agree that America is so yesterday.
印度和中国才代表着未来
India and China are so tomorrow.
我相信这个世界的未来
In the belief that the future of the world
掌握在黄色人种与棕色人种手中
lies with the yellow man and the brown man,
再加上那些昔日霸主们 那些白人
now that our erstwhile master, the white-skinned man,
现在都自暴自弃 搞爆菊、玩手♥机♥、吸食毒品
has wasted himself through buggery, cell phone usage, and drug abuse,
因此 我分文不取 向您讲述
I offer to tell you, free of charge,
我的人生故事 从而向您揭示关于印度的真♥相♥
the truth about India by telling you the story of my life.
这些是我家族里吃得最好 地位最崇高的成员
These are the best-fed and most important members of my family.
排在它们之后的 是我老奸巨猾的奶奶库素
After them, my sly, old Granny, Kusum.
她强迫我哥哥基善在茶店里工作
She had forced my brother, Kishan, to work in the tea shop.
我爸爸拉黄包车赚来的每一分钱 都被她收进了口袋
And she took every rupee from my father, a rickshaw puller.
我来自拉奇芒格阿尔 一个处于黑暗之地的村子
I come from the village of Laxmangarh,which is in the darkness.
印度其实有两面
India is two countries in one,
一个是光明的印度
an India of light
另一个是黑暗的印度
and an India of darkness.
我想像您这样的富人 应该知道我来自哪个印度
I think a rich man like you knows which one I come from.
跟您说说我的基本情况 几年前 警方因为我的创业精神
To give you the basic facts about me, there’s no beating that poster,
给我做了一张海报 没什么能比那张海报
the one the police made of me some years ago
更能体现我这个人的特质了
due to an act of entrepreneurship.
巴拉姆哈拉外 寻人启事
没错 警方正在找我 为什么呢?
Yes, the police are looking for me. Why?
我稍后再解释
I’ll get to that in time,
但您要向我保证 在听完我的 辉煌人生故事之前 不对我妄加评判
but only if you promise not to judge me until I’ve told you my glorious tale.
念吧 你
Read. You.
你不识字吗?
Can’t you read it?
“A、G、Z…”
A, G, Z…
你什么都没教他们吗? 你这没用的狗屁
Have you taught them nothing, you useless fuck?
-抱歉… -道歉有用吗?
– Sorry. – What “sorry”?
“我们生活在一片荣耀之地”
“We live in a glorious land.”
“释迦牟尼佛在这片土地上 得到了开悟”
“The Lord Buddha received enlightenment in this land.”
“我们因出生在这片土地 对佛陀心怀感念”
“We are grateful to God that we are born in this land.”
过来 孩子
Come here, boy.
-这个女人是谁? -先生 她是伟大的社♥会♥主♥义♥者
-Who is this woman? -The Great Socialist, sir.
伟大的社♥会♥主♥义♥者 向孩子们传递什么信息?
What is the Great Socialist’s message for children?
在任何被人遗忘的村庄里的 任何一个贫穷的男孩
Any poor boy in any forgotten village
都能成长为印度的总理
can grow up to become prime minister of India.
在丛林里 有一种最罕见的动物
In the jungle, which is the rarest of animals
同辈中仅出一只 那是什么动物?
that comes along only once in a generation?
是白老虎
The white tiger.
这就是你 你就是白老虎
That is what you are. The white tiger.
我保证会让你得到一笔奖学金 让你能上离这里很远的学校
I will ensure that you get a scholarship to a school far away from here,
在我们伟大的首都 德里
to our glorious capital, Delhi.
爸爸 知道这个叫什么吗?
Papa, know what this is called?
什么?
What?
这叫“锁骨”
It’s called “clavicle.”
-锁骨? -锁骨
– Clavicle? – Clavicle.
锁骨?
Clavicle?
这些叫“肩膀”
And these are called “shoulders.”
还有这个 叫“脊柱”
And this is called “backbone.”
-那这个叫什么? -这叫“脸颊”
– And what’s this called? – These are called “cheeks.”
-那这个呢? -这个叫“鼻子”
– And what’s this called? – This is called “nose.”
这个又叫什么?
What’s this called?
在黑暗之地 我们家人全睡在一起…
In the darkness, we all slept together?
腿全搭在一起 就像是同一只生物 一条蜈蚣
with legs falling one over the other like one creature, a millipede.
鳄鱼如何游泳?
伟大的社♥会♥主♥义♥者万岁
嘿 巴拉姆!
Hey, Balram!
阿鹳 他是地主 掌管我们的村子
The Stork. He was the landlord who ruled our village
他掠走我们三分之一的收入
and collected a third of everything we earned.
他贪婪搜刮我们的村子 不剩下任何东西给我们填肚子
He fed so much on the village that there was nothing left to feed on.
但我们更怕他的大儿子猫鼬
We feared his elder son, the Mongoose, even more.
我爸爸总是欠他们的债
And my father was always in debt to them.
不要再让我问你一遍!
Don’t make me ask again!
小子!
Psst, psst! Munna!
带上你的书和粉笔 我们走吧
Get your book and chalk, let’s go.
茶店?我应该去德里啊
The tea shop? I’m supposed to go to Delhi.
爸爸没有钱给主人
Father didn’t pay the master.
奶奶说你现在必须工作了
Granny said you have to work now.
基善!
Kishan!
你在那里干什么?快去干活!
What’re you doing over there? Get to work!
把剩下的每一块都砸碎
Now break every last one.
你不喜欢吗?
You don’t like it?
那就想象你是在砸我的头骨
Imagine it’s my skull you’re breaking.
嘿 亲爱的…
Hey, sweetie?
吃你的晚饭吧
Eat your dinner.
后来我再也没有进过学校
I never saw the inside of a school again.
吃吧
Eat it.
在那一年的年末 我爸爸染上了肺结核
By the end of that year,my father was sick with tuberculosis.
没有一个政客 在拉奇芒格阿尔建过一间医院
No politician had built a hospital in Laxmangarh,

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!