对
Exactly.
但是我的表演将不只是一次演出
But my performance will not just be a show.
而是一次挑战
It will be a coup.
挑战
a coup?
对
Yes.
我打算秘密地把我的钢索
I intend to rig my wire in secret
架上世界上最壮观的舞台
on the most spectacular stage in the world.
然后 我会没有预兆地
And then, without warning,
出现
I will appear.
我会表演一次出其不意的
And I will perform a surprise
也不合法的空中行走
and illegal wire walk.
如果成功了
If it works,
这将会是本世纪艺术界的惊喜
it will be the artistic coup of the century.
我的朋友 你可以随时来找我看照片
Well, you, my friend, can see my photographs any time.
都非常叛逆
They’re very rebellious.
所以你不仅是个摄影师
So, you are not just a photographer,
还是个无政♥府♥主义者
you are an anarchist as well?
所有艺术家一定程度上都是无政♥府♥主义者
All artists are anarchists to some degree.
-你不觉得吗 -觉得
– Don’t you agree? – Yes.
那么 我的无政♥府♥主义者艺术家朋友
And you, my artist, anarchist friend,
可以做我的
can be my
官方摄影师
official photographer.
让·路易就这样成了我的朋友
And so this is how I make friends with Jean-Louis,
和第二个同伙
my second accomplice.
要是在你的挑战上发生了这样的事
If that were to happen during your coup,
那就是本世纪艺术界的灾难
it would be the artistic disaster of the century.
我有东西要学
I need to know more.
你难道不会敲门吗
Don’t you know how to knock on a door?
我要你教我如何架钢索
I need you to teach me how to rig a high wire.
什么钢索 你就是个街头杂耍的
High wire for what? You’re a street juggler.
我需要知道怎么打结
But I need to know how to tie the correct knots.
我需要知道用哪种绳索
I need to know what kind of cable to use,
重量 粗细 负荷强度
the weight, the thickness, the load strength.
你这是让我
So, you want me
告诉你我的秘密
to just give you my secrets.
我花一辈子总结出来的秘密
Secrets I’ve spent a lifetime learning.
我只会告诉儿子们的秘密
Secrets I’ve only given to my sons.
你想让我就这么给你
You want me to just hand them over to you.
我会给你钱 我有钱
I can pay you. I have money.
我不在乎付出多少
I don’t care what it costs.
日出时到马戏团
Meet me at le cirque
来找我
at sunrise.
带上你玩杂耍挣的钱
Bring your juggling money.
在柱子和绳索之间放上木头块
Place wood blocks between the cable and mast.
好的
Okay.
木头块会起缓冲的作用
The wood blocks act as buffer,
这样杆子弯曲的时候 钢索不会绷断
so when masts flex, the wire won’t snap.
而且永远 永远都要亲自检查索具
And always, always check the rigging yourself.
绝对不要站上
Never step on a wire
一个你没有全部亲自检查过的钢索
if you’ve not checked all of the rigging yourself.
-明白了吗 -好的
– Capisce? – Okay.
以前有一个优秀的走钢索波兰人罗曼
There was this great Polish guy, wire walker, Roman.
他说他能用屁♥股♥和耳朵判断出
He said he could tell when cable was at correct tension
钢索何时才是最合适的松紧
through his ass and through his ear.
从下面
Underneath,
穿过这个环
through the ring,
系上
lock it off.
绑紧点
Tighten.
然后给钱
And pay.
菲利普 这钱是烂的
Philippe, you give me broken money.
-能用的 -烂了
– No, it works. – It’s broke.
鲁迪老爹让我随他的剧团一起跑
So, Papa Rudy let me travel with his troupe.
但我从来没有表演过
Of course, I never did any performance.
但每次马戏团没人时
But any time the big top was empty,
我会在钢索上练习
I would practice on the wire.
很多走钢索的人 在没到达之前就死了
Most wire walkers, they die when they arrive.
他们还在钢索上却以为自己走完了
They think they have arrived, but they’re still on the wire.
如果你还剩三步
If you have three steps to do,
请你骄傲地走完
and you take those steps arrogantly,
要是觉得自己已经无人能敌了
if you think you are invincible,
你就会把小命丢掉
you’re going to die.
这次是免费的
This one, I give to you for free.
谢谢
Merci.
几周后
A few weeks later,
我在一个小村庄进行了走钢索公开首演
I did my first official public walk in this tiny little village.
那地方小得根本不在地图上
It’s so small, it’s not even on a map.
但村里的主任
But the mayor of this village,
每年春天都会举办活动
every spring he puts on a festival.
鲁迪老爹说服他
And Papa Rudy convinced him
让我在这个湖中表演
to hire me to do a walk over this little lake,
其实也只是个沼泽地
which was more like a swamp.
这样可以了吗
Is it okay?
你站上去再告诉我
No. Through your ass and your feet, you tell me.
安妮来了 弄了张桌子放音乐
Annie came, she set up a turntable for music.
让·路易负责拍照
And Jean Louis came to take pictures.
我开始了我的表演 一切都很顺利
So, I begin my performance, and everything’s going very well.
后来我开始听到一些声音
But then I start to hear
有人♥大♥声笑 有人咯咯笑
this murmur of some laughing and giggling,
原来下午在这个沼泽池里
and it turns out, there is also a fishing contest that afternoon
还有个钓鱼比赛
on this lake, more like a swamp.
那些渔民在喝酒
And the fishermen, they’re drinking wine.
冲着我放狠话
They’re yelling insults at me.
在我走钢索的时候取笑我
They’re laughing at me while I’m trying to work.
走钢索时 精神和身体上的协调都很重要
Now, walking on the wire is as much mental as it is physical.
注意力分散了 平衡也就打破了
If you lose your concentration, you lose your balance.
菲利普
Philippe!
结果我就在泥潭里
So here I am, in the mud to my knees
完成鲁迪老爹教的谢幕礼
doing the Papa Rudy compliment.
这就是我的首次表演
This was my first performance.
以失败告终
A failure.
在那之后 我一阕不振
And after this, I didn’t feel so good.
有一天
Then one day,
我走在塞纳河边 独自哀怜
I was walking along the Seine, feeling sorry for myself.
当我抬起头时
When I look up,
我看到了巴黎圣母院的两座塔
and I saw the towers of Notre-Dame.
我一定要在那里架起钢索
And I said, “This is where I must put my wire.”
那是我拾回尊严的地方
“This is how I will redeem myself.”
在夜色的掩护下 凭着一把复♥制♥的钥匙
And so, under the cover of darkness, and with a false key,
让·路易和我溜进了教堂
Jean Louis and I sneak into the cathedral.
我把鱼线绑在我的杂耍球上
I attach some fishing line to one of my juggling balls,
我扔到对面
and I throw it across to the other side
让·路易在另一边接球
where Jean Louis is waiting.
然后我们将鱼线缠在一条细绳上
Then, we attach this fishing line to a small rope,
拉到另一边
and we pass that between the towers.
然后细绳绑粗绳
Then we pass a larger rope.
再用粗绳绑钢索
Then, we attach this larger rope to the steel walk cable.
就这样 我和让·路易
So, Jean Louis and I stay up all night
一整晚就在固定钢索
installing a wire between these two ancient towers.
当早上第一批游客抵达时
And when the first tourists start to arrive in the morning,
我开始了表演
I begin.
我成功了
And I succeed.
我完成了第一次非法高空走钢索
I perform my first surprise, illegal high wire walk.
这也是我第一次尝到了甜头
This is also the first time I get the taste of this sensation.
这种感觉就像
This feeling that I’m crossing into a…
进入了世外桃源
A truly different world.
也挽回了我的尊严
And I was redeemed.
至少我是这样觉得的
Or so I thought.
这些巴黎人只知道羞辱人
These Parisians, they know nothing but contempt.
拒绝一切美的东西
They refuse to appreciate beauty.
其他国家 德国 西班牙
Every other country, Germany, Spain,