Do you still practise quite a lot of medicine?
我 我是麻醉师就职于..
I’m, um, on the staff of anaesthesiology…
是的 是的 我听说了
Yes. Yes, I’ve heard that.
但您的确多次出庭指证其他医生
But you do testify quite a bit against other physicians.
难道不是这样吗 只要有人付钱 你就乐于出庭指证
Isn’t that correct? You are available for that,so long as you’re paid to be there.
先生 的确是这样的
Sir, yes.
当一个案件中存在不公时 我出庭作证义不容辞
When a thing is wrong,as in this case, I am available.
我今年74岁了
I’m 74 years old.
没有委员会的认证
I’m not board-certified.
可我已经行医整整46年了 我知道什么是不公
I’ve been practising medicine for 46 years,and I know when an injustice has been done.
是这样吗
Do you, indeed?
我敢打赌你是这样的
I bet you do. That’s fine.
好吧
Fine.
让我节省些法庭时间
Let’s save the court time.
辨方承认汤普森医生是专家证人
We’ll admit Dr Thompson as an “expert witness”.
高尔文先生 你是否继续询问证人 也许我们可以休庭下午继续审理
Mr Galvin, do you want to continue now? Or we could resume this afternoon.
我将继续询问证人 法官大人
I’ll continue, Your Honour.
汤普森医生
Uh, Dr Thompson,
昨晚您是否去过北方看护院 对受害人黛博拉 安 凯伊进行过检查呢
did you examine Deborah Ann Kaye at the Northern Chronic Care Facility last night?
– 我去过 – 反对
– I did. – Objection.
反对无效 证人将仅限于针对本案中提供的院方记录进行回答
Sustained. The witness will confine his testimony to review of the hospital records.
汤普森医生 根据您看过的 1976年5月12日案发当日医院记录
Dr Thompson, in your review of the hospital records of May 12th 1976,
在您看来 黛博拉 安 凯伊出了什么事
in your opinion,what happened to Deborah Ann Kaye?
心脏骤停
Cardiac arrest.
在分娩过程中 她的心脏停止了跳动
During delivery her heart stopped.
一旦心脏停止跳动 脑部就会缺氧
When the heart stops,the brain is deprived of oxygen.
就造成了脑损伤
You get brain damage.
这就是她变成现在这样子的原因
That’s why she’s in the state she’s in today.
托勒医生作证说 他在三到四分钟内就恢复了她的心跳
Dr Towler has testified that he restored the heartbeat in three to four minutes.
在您看来 他的证词准确吗
In your opinion,is that an accurate estimate?
在我看来 是更长时间造成的 九或十分钟
In my opinion, it took much longer, nine, ten minutes.
因为脑损伤太严重了
There’s too much brain damage.
你是指 由于没能在九分钟内恢复受害者的心跳
Are you saying failure to restore heartbeat within nine minutes
就构成了不称职的医疗行为吗
in itself constitutes bad medical practice?
– 法官大人 – 什么事 高尔文先生
– Your Honour! – Yes, Mr Galvin?
我有权用我自己的方式询问证人…
If I may be permitted to question my own witness in my own way…
– 我在切入重点 – 我正要…
– I’d like to get to the point. – I am getting to…
我有直接询问证人的问题的权利
I believe I have the right to ask the witness a direct question!
现在 不要再浪费大家的时间
Now let’s not waste these people’s time.
请回答我的问题 证人先生
Answer the question, Mr Witness, please.
在九分钟之内没有能够恢复病人心跳 是否构成医疗过失
Would a nine-minute lapse in restoring the heartbeat in and of itself be negligence?
在这种条件下 我不得不说并不构成
In that small context, I would have to say no.
那么你是说 根据我的问题医生并不存在过失吗
Then you’re saying there’s no negligence,based on my question?
– 鉴于您问题的限制的情况 是的 – 医生们并不存在过失
– Given the limits of your question, yes. – The doctors were not negligent.
谢谢
Thank you.
我还没有问完..
I’m not through questioning…
法官大人 恕我直言
Your Honour, with all due respect,
如果您继续这样干涉我的权利 你将失去我的尊重
if you’re gonna try my case for me,I wish you wouldn’t lose it.
谢谢您 今天上午到此结束
Thank you. I think that’s enough for this morning.
控辩双方律师来我办公室
I’ll see counsel in my chambers.
– 现在休庭 – 全体起立
– Now, please! – All rise.
法庭将在下午一点继续审理
Court is adjourned until one o’clock.
我会因为你这家伙 刚才的行为给律师委员会写一封封信
I’m gonna write to the Board of Bar Overseers about you today, fella.
你总是这么另类 他们应该把你从这个行业踢出去
You’re on your way out. They should have kicked you out in that Lillibridge case.
我今天就会这么做
Now, this is it, today.
我是一名律师
I’m an attorney,
在此案宣判前 我依旧是我当事人的代理律师
on trial before the Bar,representing my client.
我的当事人 会因为你对我的成见 而输掉这场官司
My client. When you open your mouth,you’re losin’ my case for me.
– 你这家伙 听我说 – 不 你现在听我说
– Listen to me, fella…- No, you listen to me!
我只是想要这案子被公平的审理
All I wanted out of this trial was a fair shake.
五天前 在我失去了主要证人的情况下 你迫使我上法庭
You push me into court five days early,I lose my star witness,
但我不在乎 我要继续辩护下去
and I can’t get a continuance.And I don’t care.
我就要在法庭上 我要试试 让陪审团来给出裁决 来证明你是什么人
I’m goin’ up there, I’m gonna try it, and let the jury decide. They told me about you.
来证明你很多么冷酷无情 站到被告一边
Said you’re a hard-ass, you’re a defendant’s judge.
是的 我不在乎了 见他妈的鬼去吧
Well, I don’t care.I said to hell with it. To hell with it!
听着 高尔文 多年以前 我也..
Look, Galvin, many years ago I…
得了 别跟我提你以前也是律师的废话
Come on! Don’t give me that shit about you bein’ a lawyer too.
我了解你 你根本算不上是名真正的律师
I know about you.You couldn’t hack it as a lawyer.
你不过是个城里的小推销员 现在仍然是
You were a bagman for the boys downtown, and you still are.
– 你说完了么 – 你♥他♥妈♥说对了
– Are you done? – You’re damn right I’m done.
我会提出这是无效审判 会向法♥院♥提出 要求取消你审理这案子资格
I’m gonna ask for a mistrial. I’ll request that you disqualify yourself from this case.
我还会把庭审记录交给司法行为委员会
I’ll take a transcript of the trial to the Judicial Conduct Board
– 好好对你来上一翻调查 – 你小子不会得到”无效审判”的
– and ask them to impeach your ass! – You aren’t gonna get a mistrial, boy.
我们会继续审理 直到把这案子进行到底
We’re going back,and we’re gonna try this case to the end!
在我还没叫法警把你扔进监狱之前 给我滚出去
Get out of here before I call the bailiff and have you thrown in jail!
我们该怎么办
What does it mean?
我是说 你 还有其他安排吗
I mean, you, uh… have other tactics?
噢 是啊 等到他们提供的证人上庭 我就有机会进行询问
Oh, yeah. They present their case, then I get a chance, and we just cross-examine.
我们会赢吗 我是说 是说 你还有其他办法赢吗
Are we gonna win? I mean… I mean,you have other tactics, though?
是呀
Yeah.
谢谢 托勒医生
Thank you, Dr Towler.
没有问题了 法官大人
No further questions, Your Honour.
– 托勒医生 – 是的
– Dr Towler? – Yes.
– 让我们回忆下当时的情况 – 好的
– Let’s work backwards. – Yes.
– 我们有您当时手术情况的记录 – 是的
– You have a record of what happened in the operating room. – Yes.
– 受害人的心率在手术过程中每三十秒就会被记录 – 是的
– You made notations every 30 seconds of the procedures. – Yes.
– 当黛博拉 安 凯伊心跳停止后 – 我们当时..
– These notations stop four and a half minutes – We were
这些记录心率的符号♥停止了4分半钟
after Deborah Ann Kaye’s heart stopped.
她的心跳已经停止了四分半钟 记录在此三分钟后才又继续
Four and a half minutes after her heart stopped. They resumed three minutes later.
我们要比仪器记得清楚
We had more on our minds than taking notes.
我们当时正在尽力抢救她恢复心跳
We were trying to restore her heartbeat.
– 在这三分钟里发生了什么事 – 我们在全力…
– What happened in those three minutes? – We were trying…
– 究竟发生了什么 – 反对 法官大人
– What happened? – Objection, Your Honour.
为什么花了那么长时间在恢复她的心跳
Why did it take so long to restore her heartbeat?
用了将近九分钟才使她的心跳恢复
Almost nine minutes to restore her heartbeat,
正是这个原因才造成受害人 不可逆严重的脑损伤
which caused massive irreversible brain damage.
控方律师这是在阻碍证人回答问题
Mr Galvin You’re not allowing the witness to answer.
谢谢 法官大人 我正要回答问题
Thank you, Your Honour.I would like to answer.
脑损伤情况的发生
Brain damage could have…
并不一定需要八到九分钟
it didn’t necessarily take nine or eight minutes.
两分钟就能造成
It could have been caused in two.
等一下
Wait a minute.
您的意思是说 受害人的脑损伤可能是由于
You’re saying that her brain damage could have been caused
两分钟的缺氧造成的吗
by being deprived of oxygen for two minutes?
是的
Yes.
为什么会这样
Why is that?
因为她的病历上写的很清楚
It’s right there on her medical chart.
她患有贫血症 长♥期♥缺血 缺氧
She was anaemic. Less blood, less oxygen.
大脑在这种情况下 缺氧就更严重了
The brain was getting less oxygen anyway.
很遗憾没为你帮上什么忙
I didn’t do too well for you.
您做的很好了
You did fine.
不 恐怕不是这样
No, I’m afraid that’s not true.
需要我留下来 待到周一吗
Will you want me to stay on till Monday?
不用了 谢谢您 您可以回家了
No, uh, thank you. You can go on home.
你知道吗 高尔文先生 人们聆听真理的渴望
You know, Mr Galvin,sometimes people can surprise you.
终于一天会震撼你
Sometimes they have a great capacity to hear the truth.
对啊 是这样
Yeah. Yes.
– 真的不需要我留下来吗 – 不用了感谢您
– Sure you don’t want me to stay on? – No. Thank you.
回家去吧
You can go on home.
我们办公室再见吧
I’ll see you back at the office, huh?
– 案子怎么样 – 很糟
– What happened? -It’s bad.
那你现在打算怎么办
What are you going to do now?
最糟的是我没一点办法
I don’t have a goddamn idea.
如果手头没有了证人 你会怎么办
What do you do if you don’t have a witness?
可以利用他们的证人
You use their witness.
– 是啊 – 好了 我们已经尽力了 弗朗西斯
– That’s right.- Well, I think we’ve tried that, Francis.
这案子完了
The case is over.
你知道的 你打破了我在法学院教你的第一条规则
You know, you broke the first rule I taught you in law school:
绝不问不知道答案的问题
You never ask a question unless you have the answer to it.
尤其是你的专家证人已经承认不存在过失的情况下
Even your own expert witness said there was no negligence.
结束了 过去了