这个汤普森医生 他是最接近的
Well, there’s Dr Thompson.He’s the nearest.
汤普森医生吗
Dr Thompson.
我是弗兰克 高尔文 黛博拉 安 凯伊的代理律师 我们之前收到过你的来信
Yeah, Frank Galvin, representing Deborah Ann Kaye. We had some correspondence.
是这样 很抱歉我没能及时给您回信 这件案子被推迟了
Uh, well, I’m sorry I didn’t get back to you,but the case got postponed.
我不得不重新安排证人 很抱歉这么晚给您来电
I had to reorganise my staff.I’m sorry to call you so late.
是的 嗯 我们的安排有些变化
Well, uh… we’ve had a change of strategy.
是的 我只是想知道您是否可以 呃
Uh-huh. I was just wondering if you could, um…
是的 这样临时联♥系♥您是有点仓促
Well, it is kinda short notice,at any rate, uh…
要我离开吗
Would you like me to go?
不 我..
No, I…
我只是
I just, uh…
– 为什么不睡一会呢 – 还有工作要做
– Why don’t you try and get some rest? – I have work to do.
如果你没办法集中精力 就没法工作
You can’t work if you can’t think.
试着睡一会吧
Try and sleep.
我在这儿陪着你的
I’ll stay here with you.
留下来吗
Stay here?
是的
Yeah.
我试试能不能睡一小会儿
I’ll just see if I can get a little a little sleep.
– 您的姓名是什么 – 罗伯特 托勒医生
– What is your name, please? – Dr Robert Towler.
– 您是黛博拉 安 凯伊的主治医生吗 – 不 实际上 她只是归我负责
– You were Deborah Ann Kaye’s doctor? – No, actually, she was referred to me.
– 她其实是哈格曼医生的.. – 不要拐弯抹角 直接一点
– She was Dr Hagman’s… – Don’t equivocate. Be positive.
说出实际情况
Tell the truth.
不管事实是什么 只管说出来 你就是她的医生
Whatever the truth is, just tell that.You were her doctor.
– 好的 – 说出来
– Yes. – Say it.
我是她的主治医生
I was her doctor.
1976年5月12日 那天的分娩手术 你是她的麻醉师吗
You were her anaesthesiologist at the delivery on May 12th, 1976?
– 对 我只是手术成员其中之一… – 不 请肯定地回答 简洁些
– Well, I was one of a group of medical… – No, answer affirmatively, simply, please.
保持回答不要多于三个字 不要说什么你是不是之一
And keep your answers down to three words. You were not part of a group.
您是她的麻醉师 是这样吗
You were her anaesthesiologist.Isn’t that so?
是的
Yes.
您负责协助马♥克♥思♥医生分娩
You were there to help Dr Marx deliver the child.
是的
Yes.
手术过程中有什么特殊情况发生吗
Anything special about the case?
当时 当她…
Well, when she had been…
– “当黛比” – 谢谢你 – 嗯 谢谢
-“When Debby…” Thank you. – Uh, thank you.
– 当黛比已经… – 这点记牢 托勒医生
– When Debby had been…- Remember that, Dr Towler.
当时手术室里除了你外 还有其他什么人呢
Who else was with you in the operating room?
在场有内文斯小姐 是麻醉护士 当然还有马♥克♥思♥医生 莫琳 罗妮 产科护士
Miss Nevins, nurse anaesthetist. Dr Marx, of course. Maureen Rooney, obstetric nurse…
当她心跳停止时你们都做了什么
And what did these people do when her heart stopped?
– 我们启动了”蓝色代码” -“蓝色代码”吗
– We went to Code Blue. – Code Blue?
您可否给陪审团解释下 那是什么意思呢
Do you mind explaining to the jury what that means?
这是一种常见的医疗术语 是指用以恢复心跳的应急措施
It’s a common medical expression. It’s a crash programme to restore the heartbeat.
既患者出现脑缺氧情况 医护人员开始进行抢救
马♥克♥思♥医生在她的气管切开气道 以便帮助她和胎儿呼吸
Dr Marx cut an airway in her trachea so she could get oxygen, she and the baby.
– 内文斯小姐她.. – 为什么她会无法呼吸呢
– Miss Nevins… – Why wasn’t she getting oxygen?
– 这有很多原因 – 最重要的原因呢
– Many reasons, really. – Tell me one.
– 她在麻醉面罩里吸入了呕吐物 – 应该是她在麻醉面罩里呕吐了
– She’d aspirated vomitus into her mask. – She threw up in her mask.
不要再说这些废话了 按我的说 “是她在麻醉面罩里呕吐了”
Cut the bullshit, please. Just say it. “She threw up in her mask.”
是她在麻醉面罩里呕吐了
She threw up in her mask.
因此她出现窒息后来心脏停止跳动吗
Therefore she wasn’t getting oxygen and her heart stopped?
– 是的 – 那你们这些医生都采取了什么措施呢 – 当然做了
– That’s right. – And what did your team do then? – Yes
你用你那30多年的产科医疗临床经验 都做了什么呢
You brought 30 years of medical experience to bear. Isn’t that what you did?
患者突然出现病历上记录的 多种有可能出现的并发症
A patient riddled with complications, with questionable information on her charts.
– 我们已经尽了所能 – 去救她 救她的孩子 – 是的
– We did everything we could. – To save her, to save the child. – Yes
– 你们把她从死亡边缘拉回来吗 – 你不知道是我们尽力救了她
– You reached down into death. – We tried to save her. You can’t know.
你不会知道
You can’t know!
好 非常好
Good. Good!
现在 再来和我们说说
Now tell us.
这位病人嘛
Well… this patient…
高尔文先生吗
Mr Galvin?
汤普森医生
Dr Thompson.
谢谢你来接我
Good of you to meet me.
– 嗯 我 我很高兴您能来 – 我的荣幸
– Well, I’m… I’m glad you could come. – My pleasure.
那么 我 我还有些事要忙 咱们可以晚上再详谈
Well… I, uh, I have some errands to run, and then I thought we’d spend the evening…
– 这也是我此行的目的 – 我想让您 呃
– That’s what I planned on doing. – And then I want you to, uh,
您可以亲自去看看那个姑娘的情况
to go out to the home and see the girl.
根据我读到的 高尔文先生 你得到一个好案子
From what I’ve read, Mr Galvin,you have a very good case.
是的 我也是这么想的
Yes, I think so. I think so.
好吧
Well…
啊 来吧
Uh, well…
我会让您感觉宾至如归的
You will be very comfortable.
– 我会把您安顿在我的公♥寓♥里 – 噢 我已经在旅馆预定房♥间了
– I’ve put you up at my apartment. – Oh, I made a reservation.
您不知道咱们再跟谁打交道 他们会给您施加很大压力
You don’t know who you’re dealing with.They’ll bring a lot of pressure to bear.
-他们不能对我怎么样 – 好了 好了 医生
– There’s nothing they can do to me. – Please! Please, sir.
这次 就听我的吧
Humour me.
这是地址 钥匙在里面
Here is the address. The key is right inside.
沃思大街 341号♥
341 Worth, please.
随便一些 就当在自己家一样
Treat the place as your very own and, uh…
但是 请不要给任何人打电♥话♥
But please, please, don’t call anybody.
谢谢您 非常感谢您能赶来
And thank you…thank you very much for coming.
– 我们的新证人来了吗 – 你联♥系♥上那个产科护士了吗
-How’s our new witness?- Did you find the obstetric nurse?
她今晚会在医院值夜班
She’s working the night shift at the hospital.
现在应该在家里 我会赶过去和她谈谈
She’s home now. I’ll take a run over there.
地址给我 我去找她 她对我们很重要
Give me the address. I’m goin’.We’re gonna need her.
你好 我是弗兰克 高尔文
Hi. Frank Galvin.
我是 圣凯瑟琳医院这场官司中 黛博拉 安 凯伊的代理律师
I, uh… I represent Deborah Ann Kaye in the case against St Catherine Labour.
我告诉过那家伙 我什么都不想谈
I told the guy I didn’t wanna talk to anybody.
我只需要一会儿时间
It’ll just take a second.
黛博拉 安 凯伊 你知道我在说什么
Deborah Ann Kaye.You know what I’m talkin’ about.
– 知道我们的主证人是谁吗 – 不
– Do you know who our chief witness is? – No.
大卫 格鲁伯 他是麻省联邦州立医院的首席助理麻醉师
David Gruber. He’s the assistant chief anaesthesiologist at Mass Commonwealth.
他指证 你们那的托勒和马♥克♥思♥医生 导致我当事人变成现在这样
He says that your doctors, Towler and Marx,put my client in a hospital for life.
我们可以证明这一点 听着 可我们不知道具体原因
We can prove that. See, what we don’t know is why.
当时手术室里发生了什么
What went on in there, in the operating room?
我是说 你知道那儿究竟发生了什么
I mean, something happened.You know what it was.
是他们给她错用了麻醉剂 结果才导致了意外
They gave her the wrong anaesthetic.Now, something happened!
是什么导致了这种疏忽 为了接一个电♥话♥吗 究竟是为什么
There was a distraction. What? The telephone? What?
你已经有这医生 还找我做什么
You have your doctor. What do you need me for?
我们需要你这个当时在场的目击证人
We need someone who was in the operating room.
我们会打赢这场官司
We’re gonna win the case.
毫无疑问 这会成为一个大事件
There’s no question of that.It’s simply a matter of how big.
嗯
Hm.
– 我没什么要对你说的 – 可你知道真♥相♥
– Well, I don’t have anything to say to you.- You know what happened.
– 没什么真♥相♥ – 那你为什么不为他俩作证呢
– Nothing happened. – Then why don’t you testify for their side?
我可以依法传唤你 你知道的 我可以传唤你出庭作证
I can subpoena you, you know.I can put you up there on the stand.
你究竟想知道什么
And ask me what?
是谁把那姑娘变成了一个该死的植物人
Who turned my client into a goddamn vegetable?
– 这我可不知道 先生 – 你究竟在替谁隐瞒
– I didn’t do it. – Who are you protecting?
– 谁说我在替人隐瞒 – 那些医生吗 你欠他们的吗
– Who says I’m protecting anyone? – Doctors? What do you owe them?
– 我他妈什么都不欠他们的 – 那你为什么你不为他们作证
– I don’t owe them a goddamn thing! – Then why don’t you testify for them?
– 你真是个固执的愣头青 – 你现在就觉得我固执嘛
– You’re very pushy, fella. – You think I’m pushy now.
– 等我让你站上法庭你会真正♥见♥识到 – 好啊 有种你就试试
– Wait till I get you up there on the stand! – Well, maybe you just better do that, then!
你知道吗 你们这些家伙都一个德行
You know, you guys are all the same.
你们根本不在乎伤害谁
You don’t care who you hurt.
你们就是一群只在乎钱的婊♥子♥
All you care about is a dollar.You’re a bunch of whores!
你们满嘴谎言 一无是处 你们这群婊♥子♥
You’ve got no loyalty… no nothing.You’re a bunch of whores!
谢谢
Thank you.
他找到的是莱昂内尔 汤普森医生
His name is Dr Lionel Thompson.
毕业于纽约市立学院 28级 理学学士学位
City College of New York,class of ’28. Bachelor of Science.
纽约医学院 22级 班里排名16
New York College of Medicine,16th in a class of 22.
1976年 收到东汉普顿女子医院的邀请
1976, got a courtesy appointment,staff of anaesthesiology,
在此院担任麻醉师
Easthampton Hospital for Women.
至今未婚 没有获得过任何行业内重量级的荣誉
Never married. Has no honours or degrees of any weight.
1975以来 他在28次案件中出庭作证
Since 1975 he’s testified in 28 court cases.
其中12例医疗玩忽职守案
12 malpractice.
还有 他是个黑人
And he’s black.
关于他是黑人这点我们不要涉及
I’ll tell you how you handle the fact that he’s black. Don’t touch it.
别提这个 对待他就像对待其他人一样 不能有歧视
Don’t mention it. Treat him just like anybody else, neither better nor worse.
这样 会让那个黑人陪审员站在我们这边
And, um… let’s have a black lawyer sit at our table.
– 懂吗 – 明白 先生
– OK? – Yes, sir.
– 知道该怎么做吗 – 呃