What is the truth?
真♥相♥就是 那个可怜的女人把信任
That that poor girl put her trust into the…
托付给了两个夺走她性命的家伙
The hands of two men who took her life.
她将一直晕迷下去
She’s in a coma.
她的生活毁了
Her life is gone.
没有了家庭 没有了亲人
She has no home, no family.
仅靠着一台机器维持活着
She’s tied to a machine.
没有了朋友
She has no friends.
可那些本应该帮助她的人
And the people who should care for her,
她的医生
her doctors,
你和我
and you and me,
都统统被收买♥♥了选择了沉默
have been bought off to look the other way.
我们放弃了应尽的责任
We’ve been paid to look the other way.
我来这里 的确就是为了拿你的钱
I came here to take your money.
还去拍了这些照片 好迫使你给钱
I brought snapshots to show you so I could get your money.
现在我不能这样做了 不能拿这些钱了
I can’t do it. I can’t take it.
如果我拿了 就会迷失自己
Because if I take the money, I’m lost.
只会是一个
I’ll just be a
有钱的
rich
追着救护车跑的勒索者
ambulance chaser.
我不会这么做 不能要
I can’t do it. I can’t take it.
如果抛开钱不谈 高尔文先生
If we may discuss money, Mr Galvin,
你的法律业绩又如何呢
how’s your law practice?
不太好
Not too good.
只有这一个客户
I only got the one client.
米克
Mick?
我要和你谈谈
I gotta talk to you.
来吧 米奇 我们去喝点东西
Mickey, come on. Hey, let’s go get a drink.
海米 你来替我吧
Hymie, sit in for me, will ya?
– 你疯了吗 – 我需要你的帮助
– Are you out of your mind?- I need your help.
你还会需要帮助么 你需要的是一个该死的保姆
You need my help?You need a goddamn keeper.
你是说 你拒绝了那21万美元吗
Are you telling me you turned down 210 grand? Huh?
你怎么回事 疯了吗 你要做什么 把她救活吗
What are you, nuts? What are you gonna do, bring her back to life?
– 我要帮她 – 帮她做什么呢
– I’m gonna help her.- To do what?
能做什么 看在上帝的份上 你能帮她什么 她几乎已经死了
To do what, for Christ’s sakes? Help her do what? She’s dead!
– 是他们害了她 又想用钱掩盖真♥相♥ – 事情就是这样 蠢货
– They killed her. They’re trying to buy it. – That’s the fuckin’ point, dummy!
就让那些家伙买♥♥好了 当然还要让他们多花点
Let them buy it.No, we let them buy the case.
所以我才接下这案子 好了 听我的和解吧 懂吗
That’s why I took it. Now, look,you just drop this, you understand?
咱们可以去新罕布♥什♥尔
We’ll go up to up to New Hampshire.
– 去猎上些鹿 – 米克 米克
– We’ll kill some fuckin’ deer. – Mick. Mick!
你说过 不 听我说
You said… No, listen to me!
– 你说过”此时不动 更待何时” – 我是说过 可不是这么做 好吗
– You said “if not now, when?” – I know what I said. But not now, all right?
我告诉你 我能打赢这场官司
I’ll tell you something else.I can win this case.
可你赢了 弗兰克 你已经赢了
But you won, Frank. You won!
他们把钱给你 就意味着你赢了
When they give you the money,that means you won.
听我说 咱们不应该闹上法庭
Now, look, we…we don’t wanna go to court.
你对这个数目不满意吗
Is this is this getting through to you?
你知不知道大主教管区的代理律师是埃德 康坎农
Do you know who the attorney for the archdiocese is? Ed Concannon.
– 他是个厉害家伙 – 仅仅是厉害么
– He’s a good man.-“He’s a good man”?
他简直就是他妈的撒旦
He’s the prince of fucking darkness!
他甚至能让人证明 那姑娘还活蹦烂跳的划水来的
He’ll have people testifying they saw her water-skiing.
– 别他妈把案子搞大了 可以吗 – 我得站出来为那个女孩发声
– Frank, don’t fuck with this case, huh? – I gotta stand up for that girl.
弗兰克 我知道你想重整旗鼓 摆脱过去的阴影
Frank, I know you’re trying to wipe out some old business.
这些我很理解 我会帮你 可不是这个案子
I understand that. I do. But not now.
– 给主教打电♥话♥ 好吗 – 我会让这个案子上法庭 你能帮我吗
– Call the bishop, will you? – I’m gonna try this case. Will you help me?
我需要你的帮助 米克 你会帮我吗
I’m gonna need your help, Mick. Will you help me?
都听说过 “丢了西瓜 捡了芝麻”吧
Anybody ever hear “For want of a shoe, a horse was lost”?
明天有人休假吗
Who’s going on vacation tomorrow, hm?
弗里德曼吗 是去圣巴斯岛吧
Friedman? St Barts, is that right?
是的 先生
Yes, sir.
萨尔 明早请给弗里德曼夫人送去一打玫瑰吧
Send Mrs Friedman a dozen roses tomorrow morning, please, Sal.
不 等等 还是她送盏紫外线灯 给她晒晒吧
No, wait a minute… Send her a sun lamp.
弗里德曼 对不起了 你得留下来
Friedman, I’m sorry, but you’ll have to stay.
这件案子处理完前是没有假期了
There’ll be no vacations until this thing is cleared.
你们都很熟悉这案子 已经拖了一年半了
You’re all acquainted with this case.It’s been on the calendar for 18 months.
现在定下了准确的开庭日期
Now I think we have a definite court date.
2月19日
February 19th.
嗯
Mm-hm.
原告代理律师是弗朗西斯 P 高尔文 相信你们对这家伙的情况已经了如指掌了
The plaintiff’s attorney is Francis P Galvin.I trust you’re all familiar with his record.
咱们原本指望他会打电♥话♥过来要求和解 可他一直没有
We’ve been expecting him to call us to negotiate, and as he did not,
就在马上开庭的五天前
five days before we’re supposed to go to court,
他又拒绝了我们给出的一笔相当客观的出价
we made him a rather generous offer,which he refused.
为什么恰恰是在开庭前五天 我要知道他在想什么
Five days before trial.What does that mean? I want to find out.
反复推敲下你们手头证人的证词
Acquaint yourselves again with the depositions.
不要仅仅依赖于我们惯用的方法 故技重施
Don’t rely on the fact that we did it last year. Do it again.
我们将在这检查你们各自在家里的成果
We shall be reviewing it here.You do it at home.
你们都有了一份完整资料 以便了解此案相关病理情况
You each have a full file, so know the deps.
与被告预演庭审每个人都要参加 定在了哪天 比利
I want you all to be here when we workwith the defendants. When is that, Billy?
– 星期三晚上 – 好的
– Wednesday evening. – Uh-huh.
必须马上发表一篇报导 关于
I want an article as soon as possible in The Globe
“圣凯瑟琳医院为社区做出了巨大贡献” 云云
“St Cat’s, neighbourhood giant,serving the community,” et cetera.
他们已经写在资料里了
They’ve got it in the files.
周一我要看到它在刊登在先驱报上 标题就叫”我们可敬的好医生”怎么样
And I want something in the Herald Monday morning: “Our gallant doctors.” Huh?
独辟蹊径不是吗
Be inventive, hm?
还有电视 还要有电视报导 佛里德曼 既然你还在这
And television. We’ve gotta have television.Friedman, since you’re still with us,
为什么不跟你在GBH的朋友说说呢
why don’t you have a word with your friend at GBH, huh? Hm.
好了 现在重点要强调的是
Now, to belabour the obvious for a moment,
我们的当事人 可是任职于波士顿大主管区所拥有的圣凯瑟琳医院
our clients are the Archdiocese of Boston,the St Catherine Labour Hospital,
马♥克♥思♥和托勒 两位在医学界深受尊重的医生
and Doctors Marx and Towler, two of the most respected men in their profession.
这次防御的重点是有力的解释
The thrust of this defence will be to answer,
不论在法庭 新闻媒体以及公众舆♥论♥上
in the court, the press,and the public mind,
彻底的否定对医生存在玩忽职守的指控
to answer the accusation of negligence this completely
我们不仅要赢得这起案件 还要让公众认识到
that not only do we win the case, but win the case so that it is seen
无端污蔑一个这样地位的权威机构是非常卑鄙的
that this attack on these men and this institution was a rank obscenity.
好了 我们理理头绪 比利
OK, let’s get the cobwebs off. Billy?
请翻到第四页
Please turn to your page four.
我们来核对下案发时 当班麻醉护士 洗手护士
We’re gonna review the depositions of the nurse anaesthetist, the scrub nurse,
以及手术室内所有在场成员的证词
and all those in attendance in the OR at the time of the operation.
– 有什么发现吗 – 我们有她姐姐的证词
– So, what have we got? – Well, we’ve got her sister.
据她姐姐所说 那姑娘入院前的一小时里吃过东西
Says Deborah Ann ate a full meal an hour before she was admitted to the hospital.
而医院的记录上说的却是九个小时前
And we got the admittance form says she ate nine hours before.
她姐姐的证词没用 陪审团知道赢了的话 她会得到不少的赔偿
The sister’s testimony’s no good. The jury knows if we win, she gets the cash.
我们有格鲁伯医生的证词 证实她被错用了麻醉剂
We got my Dr Gruber. He says she was given the wrong anaesthetic.
而且 她在手术前还提出过恶心反胃的感觉
And, anyway, she came in complaining of nausea.
– 嗯 格鲁伯的证词很有力 – 他活脱脱一个”基戴尔医生” 陪审团爱上他的
– Well, Gruber’s not bad. – He’s Dr Kildare. The jury’ll eat him up.
60年代美国系列电影主角 俊朗 正直
是啊 不过这些人和被告托勒都是朋友
Yeah. But their guy is Towler.
托勒还出版过《麻醉学的理论与实践》
He wrote the book: Methodology and Practice in Anesthesiology.
几乎手术室的每一个人都发誓为他俩作证 洗手护士甚至会告诉你
Everybody in that operating room signed a deposition, from the scrub nurse on up:
“这两位医生就是神 我亲眼看到他俩走在水面上”
“All those guys are God.I saw them walk on water.”
在场还有个产科护士 咱们没有看到过她的证词
They had an obstetric nurse.Did we get a deposition from her?
是的
No.
莫琳 罗妮 49岁 住在阿灵顿 还在这家医院工作
Maureen Rooney, aged 49, lives in Arlington. Still works at the hospital.
你可以找她谈谈 问问她的证词
Think you could talk to her,ask why she ain’t speakin’ up?
好的
Yeah.
– 好吧 说说案例 – 好的
– OK. Cases. – All right.
– 史密斯诉密歇根州政♥府♥案 – 好的
– Smith versus State of Michigan. – All right.
布林迪西诉通用动力电船公♥司♥案
Brindisi versus Electric Boat.
嘿 记性不错 弗兰克
Hey, you’ve got a good memory, Frankie.
我有个好老师
I had a good teacher.
– 麦克林 麦克林诉厄本市政交通案 – 对
– McClean versus, uh, Urban Transport. – Right.
吉米 给我来杯布♥什♥米尔
Jimmy. Couple of Bushmills.
啊
Ah!
帮我个忙 我明天再请你喝酒
Do me a favour.I’ll buy you a drink tomorrow.
那你现在要做什么
What are you doing tonight?
我找到那个”新酒吧”了 你知道的 只要半价 就可以
I found this new bar, see,and for half a buck you can…
我就会有佳人相伴
I’m gonna get laid.
那好 我回办公室去
All right. I’ll be at the office.
只是别把全部精力都花在在床上
Just don’t leave your best work in the sheets.
请你的 弗兰克
These are on me, Frankie.
找到公♥寓♥了吗
Did you find an apartment?