He told me
说他已经连续做了五个难产手术
that he’d had five difficult deliveries in a row
他累坏了
and he was tired.
所以他没有看过手术批准单
And he never looked at the admittance form.
他叫我改一下批准单
And he told me to change the form.
他让我把”1″
He told me to change the one
改成“9″
to a nine.
要不然 要不然 他说..他就解雇我 他说他会让我永远别想再找到工作
Or else… or else, he said… He said he’d fire me. He said I’d never work again.
他们是些什么人啊
Who were these men?
他们究竟都是些什么人啊 我只是想当一名护士
Who were these men? I wanted to be a nurse!
没有问题了 法官大人
No further questions, Your Honour.
你可以退下了
You may step down.
高尔文先生呢
Mr Galvin?
没有问题了 法官大人
Nothing further, Your Honour.
康坎农先生呢
Mr Concannon?
康坎农先生
Mr Concannon.
谢谢 法官大人 辩方提出反对承认入院批准单的副本
Thank you, Your Honour. We object to the copy of the admitting form,
根据 麦吉诉印第安纳州一案中 引用的联邦法第131章第2条
and we cite McGee versus the State of Indiana, United States 131.2.
“副本文件的内容比原版文件更易遭到篡改”
“The admission of a duplicate document in preference to an existing original
“基于存在这种可能性更大的情况 法庭应不予采纳”
must presuppose the possibility of alteration and so must be disallowed.”
而且法官大人 出于对控方有此余地的怀疑
And, Your Honour, having given the plaintiff the leeway,
辩方请求您根据上诉条款 给出裁决
we would like your ruling on this issue now.
反对法庭将 入院批准的复印件作为证据
We object to the admission of a Xerox photocopy.
稍等片刻 康坎农先生
Uh, one moment, Mr Concannon.
是的 这份文件不能作为证据
Yes. The document is disallowed.
– 反对 – 反对无效
– Objection!- Overruled.
– 异议 – 已记录 谢谢
– Exception! – Noted. Thank you.
从法律上讲 他是对的
Legally, he’s right.
陪审团将不予考虑科斯特洛小姐 关于副本的证词
The jury will not consider the testimony of Miss Costello regarding the Xerox form.
它是未经证实的
It is unsubstantiated.
本法庭不接受此副本代替原件作为证据
We cannot accept a copy in preference to the original.
谢谢您 法官大人 此外 科斯特洛小姐作为控方证人
Thank you, Your Honour. Furthermore,Miss Costello is a rebuttal witness.
根据法庭规定 她的出庭作证没有事先通知
As the court knows, no prior notice was given of Miss Costello’s appearance.
而是作为”惊喜证人” 她只能反驳直接证据
And as a surprise witness, she may serve only to rebut direct testimony.
突如其来的证人
而现在 当她所提供唯一的证据-入院批准单副本 已被法庭驳回的情况下
As her only evidentiary rebuttal is the admitting form which has been disallowed,
我要求法庭对她的全部证词不予采信
I request that her entire testimony be disallowed,
陪审团对她的证词 也应该完全无视 不予考虑
and that the jury be advised to totally disregard her entire appearance here.
– 是的 我赞成你的提议 – 反对
– Yes, I’m going to uphold that. – Objection.
– 反对无效 – 异议
– Overruled. – Exception.
已记录 谢谢
Noted. Thank you.
陪审团将对科斯特洛小姐的证词不予考虑
The jury will be advised not to consider the testimony of Miss Costello.
科斯特洛小姐作为控方证人
Miss Costello was a rebuttal witness.
她所提供唯一的证据 已被本庭驳回
The sole rebuttal was the document,which has been disallowed.
她所做的全部证词 也将从法庭记录中删除
Her entire testimony must be stricken from the record.
由于我的疏忽 陪审团所听到的也应不予采纳
You shouldn’t have heard it. That was my mistake.
你们必须无视这些证词 不予考虑
You must strike it from your minds.Give it no weight!
从法律上讲 案子已经结束了
Legally, it’s over.
康坎农取得辉煌胜利
Concannon was brilliant.
跟我讲讲凯特琳 科斯特洛
Tell me about Kaitlin Costello.
没什么可说的 她的证词已经从庭审中删除了
There’s nothing to tell.It’s been stricken from the record.
这我知道 但是她讲的是事实吗
I know. But did you believe her?
高尔文先生
Mr Galvin?
高尔文先生 结案陈词
Mr Galvin? Summation?
是啊..
Well…
要知道 我们浪费了太多的时间
You know, so much of the time,we’re just lost.
去祈祷 “上帝 求您了”
We say “Please, God,
“求您告诫我们什么是正义 什么是真理”
tell us what is right, tell us what is true.”
因为已经没什么公道可言
I mean, there is no justice.
富人们总是赢 而穷♥人♥们对此无能为力
The rich win, the poor are powerless.
我们听够了无尽的谎言
We become tired of hearing people lie.
渐渐的 我们开始接受这一切
And after a time we become dead.
麻木不仁 渐渐视自己为
A little dead. We think of ourselves
人生的失败者
as victims.
我们自惭形秽
And we become victims.
我们变得..
We become…
我们变得软弱
we become weak.
我们开始怀疑自己 怀疑我们曾经坚信的信念
We doubt ourselves, we doubt our beliefs.
开始怀疑我们制度
We doubt our institutions.
最后怀疑法律本身
And we doubt the law.
但是今天 你们代表着法律
But today you are the law.
你们就是法律
You are the law.
不是空洞的书本 不是巧舌的律师
Not some book, not the lawyers.
不是冰冷的大理石雕像
Not a marble statue,
更不是这法庭上的装饰品
or the trappings of the court.
那些 那些都曾是我们
See, those are just symbols
渴望的象征
of our desire
对正义的渴望
to be just.
他们是…
They are…
他们是 一个祈祷者
they are, in fact, a prayer.
一个热诚而又忐忑的祈祷者
I mean, a fervent and a frightened prayer.
我始终相信
In my religion
他们说”依据你的信念而为”
they say “Act as if ye had faith,
“信念终将回报于你”
and faith will be given to you.”
假如..
If…
假如我们心中对正义还有一丝渴望
if we are to have faith in justice,
就请恪守这点正义
we need only to believe in ourselves,
听从它的指引
and act with justice.
你们的正义即是我的正义
See, I believe there is justice in our hearts.
陪审团做出裁决了吗
Have you reached a verdict?
是的 法官大人
We have, Your Honour.
法官大人 我们一致同意支持原告 黛博拉 安 凯伊
Your Honour, we’ve agreed to hold for the plaintiff, Deborah Ann Kaye,
圣凯瑟琳教工医院以及托勒和马♥克♥思♥医生败诉
and against St Catherine Labour,and Doctors Towler and Marx.
并且 法官大人 我们是否有裁定赔偿额度的限制呢
But, Your Honour, are we limited on the size of the award?
我的意思是 大人..
What I mean, sir…
我们是否获准给予
Are we permitted to award an amount greater
比原告要求的更大的赔偿数额
than the amount the plaintiff asked for?
可以
You are.
陪审团有权做出不受任何限制 基于证据以及事实的正确判断的决定
You’re not bound by anything other than your good judgment, based on the evidence.
当你们已经裁决出同意金额后.. 将休庭
Please retire, and when you’ve agreed on the amount of the award…
你做到了 弗兰克
You did it, Frank.
干得好 弗兰克
Way to go, Frank.