After a failed attempt to kill his step-father with a nine millimeter handgun,
在一次试图使用一把9mm口径手♥枪♥ 射杀他的继父未果之后
he turned the gun on himself and shot himself in the head.”
他掉转枪口对准自己 扣动扳机击中了自己的头部”
I don’t understand.
我不理解
“The only thing found on his person was a paperback copy of Suburban Tragedy
“在他身上发现的唯一一件物品 是一本平装版的《郊区悲剧》
by renowned author, Sidney Hall.
由知名作家西德尼·豪尔所著
He owned no less than eight copies of the novel
他拥有这部小说 不少于八册
and according to friends, often quoted passages from the book.
同时 根据他的朋友所述 他经常引用这本书的段落
Henry Crowe is one of many in a growing allegiance of Suburban Tragedy followers
亨利·克罗是《郊区悲剧》的众多粉丝之一 他们对此书的忠诚正不断增长
who take the book so literally that they will attempt to mimic its message
他们过于按照字面意义理解此书 以致会试图模拟它的教诲
and expose the underbelly of Suburban America
同时展示郊区美国的致命弱点
no matter what the cost.
不管代价有多大
The book has already been banned in school libraries
这本书已在学校图书馆
and teaching curriculums in Montana.
和蒙大拿州教学课程中遭禁
And this incident will undoubtedly spiral its resistance upwards,
该事件无疑会导致 对此书的抵♥制♥呈螺旋式上升之态势
possibly at a national level.”
并且可能是在全国层面”
How young was he?
他多大了?
It doesn’t make a difference. How young was he?
这没有什么区别 他多大了?
Twenty-two.
22岁
This book has inspired more people than you can possibly…
这本书已经激励起更多的读者 超过你可能的…
Inspired people to do what? Kill themselves?
激励读者做什么?自杀?
Listen to me.
听我说
Whatever happens over the next few weeks, this is not your fault.
不管未来数周发生什么 这不是你的错
They’ll make it my fault.
他们会让它成为我的错
Maybe. For a news cycle, but…
也许 对于一项新闻周期而言 但是…
you don’t read the internet anyway, okay, so just continue that.
你不以任何方式看互联网 好的 继续这么做
Continue that, all right?
继续这么做 好吗?
Now, this book is essentially feeding our youth a dangerously blind idealism.
如今 本质上这本书正在向我们的年轻一代灌输一种危险的盲目理想主义
Promoting disrespect for our elders.
鼓励一种对我们前辈们的轻视与不敬
A generation bred on entitlement.
在权利意识下教育滋养的一代人
And the fact that it’s being included in our school curriculum
事实是 这种教育理念正在溶入我们的学校课程系统
is a dangerous sign of the times.
这一事实是这个时代的一种危险信♥号♥♥
How do you feel about the book burnings in Oklahoma?
俄克拉荷马正在焚烧这本书 你对此有何感想?
Well, you have to buy ’em in order to burn ’em.
其实 为了烧书你得先买♥♥书吧
So, maybe sales will go up.
所以 销♥售♥量也许会上升
Next?
下一个问题?
Any validity in the comparisons between Henry Crowe
对于亨利·克罗与豪尔先生作品中的主人公
and the lead character in Mr. Hall’s book?
之间的比较是否具有说服力?
No. No. No. The character in question kills himself with a knife. Not a gun.
不 不 没有 这个问题提到的主人公是用一把刀自杀的 不是枪
And any comparison between the two is ridiculous horseshit.
因此 对两者的任何比较都是荒谬至极的无稽之谈
Next. Do you think this book will become federally censored?
下个问题 你是否认为该书会在联邦层面遭到审查删除?
And might it have an effect on the Pulitzer nomination?
以及 它可能会对普利策奖的提名造成影响吗?
I highly doubt that it will be taken seriously.
我极其怀疑 它会成为提名环节需要严肃对待的事项
And I couldn’t care less about Senator Dale’s campaign for fascism.
而且 我没法不关注戴尔参议员操作的法♥西♥斯♥主义式的宣传活动
If he doesn’t like the book, don’t read it.
如果他不喜欢这本书 不去读就是
Do you think he’s read it? I really don’t give a shit.
你认为他已经读过了吗? 我根本不在乎
But don’t quote me on that.
但是 别引用我这句话
But enough about me, at this time, Sidney would like to make a statement.
显然我说的已经够多了 此刻 西德尼想发表一个声明
Please hold all of your questions until after he’s finished.
请诸位把各自的问题 留到他发言之后再提问吧
It saddens me that a life has been lost.
一条生命就此消逝 让我悲痛欲绝
My heart goes out to Henry Crowe’s family and friends.
我的心也随之交付给亨利·克罗的家人和朋友
I empathize with them,
我与他们一样感同身受
and hope that brighter days will appear sooner
而且我也希望晴朗的日子会很快重回
rather than later.
越快越好
That said…
即便如此…
I apologize for nothing.
我为无能为力深表歉意
I cannot predict what…
我无法预测什么…
reaction any particular individual may or may not have to something I have written.
任何特定的个人对我的作品 可能会或可能不会产生什么反应
Nor can I live in fear, or restraint…
我也无法在恐惧 或束缚中生活…
anytime I write a word on a page.
任何时候 只要我在纸上写下一个词
I can only hope
我只是希望
that in time, the books I write
我写的书 总是
will have a positive impact.
会产生积极的影响
It is sickening… to see that some congressmen are using this boy’s family
这真是令人作呕… 看到某些国会议员正在利用这个男孩的家人
during their time of grief for political gain.
去获取政♥治♥利益 而此刻正是他们的哀恸期
It’s shameful.
这非常可耻
Furthermore, um…
此外 呃…
I’m sorry, uh…
抱歉 呃…
Furthermore…
而且…
I’m so sorry. Are you all right?
我很抱歉 你没事吧?
Uh, that will be it, ladies and gentlemen.
呃 就这样了 女士们先生们
Thank you all for coming.
感谢各位前来参会
There is some evidence of scar tissue on the side of your brain.
有证据表明你大脑的一侧存在创伤组织
I think you’re having partial seizures.
我认为你有局部中风的症状
It could be from trauma. Could be the result of a serious blow to the head.
这可能源自外伤 可能是对头部的一次严重撞击产生的后遗症
Has anything like that ever happened to you?
你之前有没有遭遇过类似的状况?
Last week,
上周
you called me, you claimed to be…
你打电♥话♥给我 你声称…
seeing things “outside the realm of reality.”
见到了“现实世界之外”的东西
Hallucinations.
这就是幻觉
Are you still experiencing these aberrations?
你仍然在经历这些精神异常吗?
I’m… I’m sorry, I have to go. Sidney there’s medication you can take.
我… 我很抱歉 我得走了 西德尼 你可以做一些药物治疗
Hey, Hall, I don’t have all day.
嘿 豪尔 我们没有一整天的时间
Look man, you don’t have to tell me whatever’s in the box.
听着 老兄 你不必告诉我盒子里到底是什么
It’s fine, it’s your right.
没事 这是你的权利
I would like a little gratitude.
我只想有一些小小的报答
You want something else, Hall? The Lewis Chang deal ain’t enough for you?
你还想要些别的 豪尔?关于路易斯·张的交易对你来说还不够?
No, no, that’s not what I’m saying. I just don’t like being treated like shit.
不 不 我不是这个意思 我只是不想被象垃圾一样对待
You like Melody Jameson.
你喜欢蔓丽迪·詹姆森
I saw you talking to her in the street.
我看见你在街上跟她说话来着
You know her?
你认识她?
Yeah dude, she’s my little sister’s friend.
是的 哥们 她是我妹妹的朋友
What’s she like? What’s she interested in?
她是什么样的人?她对什么感兴趣?
Is she… is she cool? Does she read? Does she read?
她… 她很酷吗?她喜欢阅读吗? 她阅读?
的发音规则,建立字母及字母组合与发音的感知,让学生掌握英语拼读规律,从而达到看词即读,听词即拼的学习目的
Hooked on Phonics是《英语自然拼读》教材的商业品牌名称;英语自然拼读法通过直接学习字母及字母组合在单词中
Yeah, she’s “Hooked on Phonics”.
是的 她喜欢“英语自然拼读”教材
Dude, I don’t fucking know, Hall.
哥们 我特么真不知道 豪尔
Jesus Christ, I’m not into girls who like… long walks on the beach and all that shit.
老天 我对那些喜欢… 在沙滩上悠长漫步 诸如此类破事儿的妹子 真没啥兴趣
I mean, I could introduce you to her.
我的意思是 我可以把你介绍给她
If you’re having trouble.
如果你有障碍
I’m not having trouble.
我没啥障碍
Oh, yeah.
哦 那就好
Yeah, right. You really sealed the deal in the street there.
是的 没错 你在那条街上确实把事儿都搞定了
God knows you’re too pussy to ask her out, I might as well do it for you.
天知道 你太胆小不敢约她出来 我可以替你把这事儿给办了
All right, out of sheer curiosity, what would you do?
好吧 纯粹出于好奇 你打算怎么做?
Uh…
呃…
my sister’s birthday is this coming weekend.
我妹妹的生日就在这个周末
I can take her to the fairgrounds for ice cream or something.
我可以带她去游乐场 吃点冰激凌啥的
Coax Melody to tag along.
哄蔓丽迪出来跟着一起去
And you can show up out of the blue and boom.
然后你突然出现 大喊一声
Next weekend, right?
下个周末 对吗?
Yeah.
没错
So? Think you can grow a dick and a pair of balls by then?
怎么样?你觉得你到时就特么有胆量了?
Not that it’d matter anyway. She’s as prude as they come.
不管怎么说 这也没那么重要 她的确很拘谨
It’d take a crowbar to get those legs open.
需要一个撬棍 才能让大腿张开
All right, thanks again, man.
好吧 再次感谢 老兄
Oh, shit. Um…
哦 糟了 呃…
Here, hide this. Now. Go.
这里 把这藏好 马上 快点
Now. Yeah. Yeah, okay.
马上 行 行 好的
What are you doing here? Your sister told me where you were.
你在这儿干嘛? 你妹妹告诉我你去哪儿了
The question is, what are you doing here? Hanging out with a friend.
问题是 你在这儿干什么? 跟一个朋友出去玩
Your mother has been worried about you all day.
你妈担心了你一整天
She called the goddamn police.
要命的是 她还报了警
Overreact much?
是不是反应过度了?
Get out of the car! What the fuck do you think you’re doing?
从车子里滚出来!你特么以为你在干什么?
Just hanging out with a friend. You are driving home with me.
就是和一个朋友出去玩了 跟我一起开车回家
Say goodbye to your friend.
跟你朋友道个别
Hey, I gotta go, man. I’ll, uh… I’ll come back for the car later.
嘿 我得走了 兄弟 我 呃… 稍后我会回来取车
Come on. Yeah, that’s cool.
快走 好 没问题
Remember, Hall, you hold the key. All right? You hold the key.
记着 豪尔 拿着车钥匙 知道吗?拿着车钥匙
You hold the key.
你拿着车钥匙

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!