Jason, your grandfather had high expectations
对你的期望也很高
when he left the entire estate to you.
我对你也要求严格了一点
And I guess I’ve pushed you a little too hard also.
你瑞德爷爷给你的12件礼物 知道它们是从哪里来的吗?
The 12 gifts that Red taught you,any idea where they came from?
不知道 好吧 你很快就会知道了
No. Well, you’re about to find out.
看到那边那个盒子了吗?
See that box over there?
你去看一下 里面有本书
Take a look in there, there’s a book.
世界上只有两个人知道你祖父写的日记
Only two people in the world knew that your grandfather kept a journal
从他15岁开始写的
from the time he was 15.
一个是我 另一个是你奶奶
One was me,and the other was your grandmother.
也许你能从他的过去中找到一些答案
Maybe you can find something from his past
以解决你现在的一些事情,
to help you here in the present,
甚至将来所面临的问题
or possibly in your future.
我要回去睡觉了
I’m gonna go back to bed now.
明天早上还要上法庭呢
We’ve got court in the morning.
欢迎你留下来过夜
You’re welcome to stay the night.
里面的故事很精彩
That’s quite a story.
1941年2月
“February, 1941.
我九年级的老师 哈珀太太 给了我这本满是空白页的书
My ninth grade teacher, Mrs. Halpern,gave me this book full of blank pages.
她说把我的想法写下来可能会有帮助
She said it might help to put my ideas on paper.
听起来有点娘娘腔 但她说那是日志
Sounds a little girly to me,but she said that’s a diary.
男孩子写的是日志 两者不一样
Boys keep journals.There’s a difference.
1941年9月3日
September 3rd, 1941.
我发誓 总有一天 我一定会成为亿万富翁”
Someday, I swear to heaven,I am going to be a billionaire.”
年轻的瑞德:1941年2月23日
YOUNG RED: February 23rd, 1941.
今天终于退学了 我找了份送冰的工作
Finally quit school and got me my own job today, delivering ice.
从日出干到日落
From sun up till sundown.
滚开!你挡住道路了! 对不起
Move! You’re blocking the driveway! Sorry.
快点!快滚吧!
Come on! Let’s go!
瑞德:那个势利的有钱人帮了我一个忙
RED: That snotty rich kid did me a favor today
要不是因为他 我说不定就不会看的地上的那份报纸
because I might not have ever seen that newspaper on the ground.
报纸上登着 这个伙计 安德鲁·卡内基,
It was right there in print.This man, Andrew Carnegie,
12岁开始给人送电报
had started out working in a telegraph office at 12.
他都没上学 跟我一样有时间就读书
He didn’t even go to school, just read books whenever he could, just like me.
我打赌他肯定也忍♥受过
I bet he had to put up with all those rich kids
那些富家子弟对他的蔑视
turning up their noses at him, too.
但最终他还是成为了亿万富翁
And he ended up a billionaire anyway.
我向天发誓 对每一个瞧不起我的势利小人说
I swear to heaven, and to every one of those snobs who look down on me,
我也要成为亿万富翁
so will I.
汤要凉了
Soup’s getting cold.
要是能有东西换换口味就好了
It would be nice to have something else for a change.
呐 给你换换口味
There, now you got something else.
她又咳嗽的厉害 爸爸 我知道
She sounds bad again, Pop. I know.
她需要吃药 我能怎么办?
She needs her medicine. What am I gonna do, huh?
我现在买♥♥不起药
I can’t afford it right now.
她上次去医院的钱 医院还在找我要呢
Hospital’s still after me for last time she was there.
总有一天 我会把那破医院买♥♥下来的
Well, someday I’m gonna buy that whole darn hospital,
我对天发誓 他们会后悔没对她好一点的
and they’ll wish they treated her better, I swear to heaven.
你在唠叨些什么?
What are you babbling about?
我会成为亿万富翁 就像这个人 安德鲁·卡内基
I’m gonna be a billionaire,like this man, Andrew Carnegie.
给我记住了 小子 你不会有钱的
Get it in your head, son.You ain’t ever gonna be rich.
你只会成为一种人 就是下层人
Only thing you’re ever gonna be able to count on is coming up on the short end.
我父亲就是这么教我的 我很抱歉
That’s what was handed me by my daddy,and I’m sorry,
我也就只能这样教你
but that’s all you’re ever gonna get from me.
怎么啦? 我要去干活了
What is it? Just going to work.
哎 儿子
On, baby.
很抱歉 让你这么辛苦地工作
I’m sorry you have to work so hard.
这不公平 没关系的
It’s not fair. It’s OK.
不 不是的
No, it’s not.
我很快就会好起来的
I’ll be up out of this bed soon..
…那样你就可以不用干这活
…and then you can quit that job,
可以回到学校读书了
and we’ll get you enrolled back in school.
我爱你 妈妈
I love you, Mama.
我也爱你 孩子
I love you, too, son.
你好好休息
Get some rest, OK?
好好休息
Get some rest.
瑞德:1941年9月4日
RED: September 4th, 1941.
今天我离家出走了
I’m leaving home today.
我不知道会出去多久 但是少一张嘴吃饭
I don’t know for how long,but it’s one less mouth to feed,
也许妈妈就可以拿药吃了吧
and maybe Mama can get her medicine now.
不管爸爸怎么说 我都不接受贫穷就是我一生的命运
No matter what Daddy says,I don’t accept being poor as my destiny.
我知道我的命运在那里
I know my fortunes out there somewhere.
下次他见到我的时候 我就是个有钱人了
And the next time he sees me,I’ll be a rich man.
货车还没离站的时候不能轻举妄动
You can’t make your move until the train leaves the yard.
等等 再等等
Wait, wait.
叫你爬!
Go on, scram!
抓住他!
Get him!
走吧走吧!
Let’s go. Let’s go!
快点!快点!
Come on! Come on!
快!
Come on!
快点!快!快点!
Come on! Come on! Come on!
把手给我!跳起来!
Give me your hand! Jump!
跳起来!
Jump!
你在干什么? 呃我在列我的感恩名单
What are you doing? I’m, uh… making my golden list.
你的什么? 我的感恩名单
Your what? My golden list.
我妈妈教我的
Something my ma taught me.
每天不管是天晴还是下雨
Every day, rain or shine,
我都会列出了十件值得感恩的事情
I make a list of ten things that I’m grateful to God for.
值得感恩的事情? 你在开玩笑吧?
Things you’re grateful for?You’re kidding, right?
我有很多值得感恩的事情呢
I’ve got lots of things to be grateful for.
每个人都有十件以上值得感恩的事情啊
Everybody got at least ten thingsto be grateful for.
我没有 你确定吗?
I got nothing. You sure about that?
当然确定 你很健康 对吧?
Sure as I could be. You got your health, right?
以后可能会为此感恩吧 不 不你现在应该心存感恩
I’ll be grateful someday. No, no. You gotta be grateful now.
你应该对生活中的小事心存感恩
You gotta be grateful for the little things in life.
不然的话 你就不懂得感恩了
Otherwise, you’ll never be grateful for nothing.
对了 快点!我们得在货车到站前下车
You know what? Come on! We gotta get off the train before we hit the yard.
现在你真有值得感恩的事情了 我们到德克萨斯州了!
Now you really got something to be grateful for. We’re in Texas!
等等!
Wait!
哇!
Whoa!
早上好 伙计们 早上好
Morning, fellas. ALL: Morning.
我叫雅各布·尔立
Name’s Jacob Early.
我要找六个壮实的伙计来搭些牛栏
I’m looking for six strong backs to put up some cattle fence.
瑞德:选我!选我!
RED: Pick me! Pick me!
看这边!
Right here!
胡子 老家伙
Mustache. Older guy.
让开 小滑头! 你让开!
Out of the way, Slick! I don’t think so!
先生!嘿 我就是你要找的人!我可以抗着50磅冰块上三层楼!
Mister! Hey, I’m your man! I can carry 50 pounds of ice up three stories!
搞什么 小鬼?!
What the heck, kid?!
行了 年轻人 行了
That’s all right, young man.That’s all right.
积极努力的人我喜欢 来吧
I enjoy an eager beaver. Come on.
嗯 你显然会打桩 你也是 过来吧
Well, you’ve obviously put up a few posts. You too, climb in.
年轻强壮
Young and strong.
一共是六个 我们走 伙计们
That’s six. Let’s go, fellas.
你好
Howdy
这桩打的不错嘛 小滑头
That’s a goodlooking post there, Slick.
谢谢
Thanks
你觉得可以承受2000磅的推力吗?
Think it’ll hold up to 2,000 pounds of heifer leaning against it?
可以的
It’ll hold.
尔立先生或许可以请你帮他做兔窝
Maybe Mr. Early can have you build him a rabbit fence next.
男:还有一个呢
MAN: Got another one for you.
喝点水吧 小滑头 这太阳 一不小心就把你晒晕了
You best water up, Slick. The sun will lay you out flat if you’re not careful.
放心 我没吐口水
Don’t worry, I didn’t spit in it.
本来我还挺放心的 但你这一说
I wasn’t worried, but I am now.
你可以相信我
You can trust me.
干得不错嘛
That’s good work.
再过一个星期 或许你就可以赶上我们了
Another week, you might catch up with the rest of us.
逗你玩的 小滑头
Just yanking your chain, Slick.
顺便说一下 我不叫小滑头 我叫瑞德 瑞德·史蒂文斯
By the way, name’s not Slick.It’s Red. Red Stevens.
格斯·考德威尔 女孩们都叫我种马
Gus Caldwell.Girls call me Stud.
我还是叫你格斯吧