So,naturally,we want to know not who that person was,right,
但我们想知道 病毒是从哪里来的?
but we want to know,where did that virus come from?
我们很早就意识到 这种病毒属于
We realised very early on that this virus belongs to a family of viruses
感染灵长类动物的病毒家族 对
that mainly infects primates,OK?
长久以来… -猴子和猿
So there’s been a long…Monkeys and apes.
确实是猴子和猿
Exactly,monkeys and apes.
事实证明 是黑猩猩将艾滋病病传给了人类
And it turns out,we inherited HIV from chimpanzees.
换句话说 世界上
So in other words,in the world,
与艾滋病病毒关系最密切的病毒是 SIVcpz (黑猩猩免疫缺陷病毒)
the virus that is most closely related to HIV is SIVcpZ,
这是一种会感染黑猩猩的病毒
which is a virus that infects chimpanzees.
我被问到的问题是
The question that I get asked is,
有人与黑猩猩发生性关系吗?
did someone have sex with a chimpanzee?
如果您在栖息地观察过黑猩猩 对
If you see and watch chimpanzees in their habitat,right?
它们的攻击性 它们的尖牙 对 蛮力
Their aggressivity,their teeth,right?Their strength.
实际上 想想就知道 这种事是不可能发生的
Realistically,you know,that’s not what’s happened.
据信病毒感染了人类 是因为
It’s believed the virus made the jump to humans
在中非 黑猩猩有时会被屠♥杀♥ 食用
in Central Africa where chimps are sometimes butchered for their meat.
你知道我曾在这个地区生活 嗯哼
You know that I have lived in this part of the world.Mm-hm.
所以我带了些照片
And…So I brought some photographs.
这个男人在屠宰…
This is a man butchering…
是的..一只小猴子
OK…a small monkey.
我想人们在这样的环境里 不可避免
But I think you get a very good idea that this is not an environment
接触到猴子的血液
where it’s possible to avoid contact with the monkey blood.
我们认为病毒就是这样
Exactly.And we think this is how the virus was introduced
传给人类的
into the human population.
50多年内
For more than 50 years,
病毒的影响很小 没有引起人们的注意
the virus had such a small impact it wasn’t noticed.
到1980年代初 却发展成威胁世界新的致命疾病
But by the early 1980s,the world was facing a new and deadly disease.
由于缺乏有效治疗艾滋病毒的药物
Without any effective drugs to treat it,
像布拉德比尔这些医生 只能对越来越多
doctors like Caroline Bradbeer were delivering what amounted
的病患 宣判形同死刑的消息
to a death sentence to an increasing number of patients.
其中一人就是杰瑞派特森 他克服种种磨难
One of those was Jerry Patterson,who’s managed to survive against
成功幸存下来
extraordinary odds.
我的天啊
Oh,my God!
太令人高兴了 来这里
This is an absolute delight! Come round here.
抱歉 我太感动了
Sorry,I’m a bit welled up.
亲爱的 -他们已经很多年不见 但回忆仍
Oh,sweetie! They haven’t seen each other for years,but the memories
历历在目
are still vivid.
真的 -你的气色真好
It really is.You look wonderful.
你也是
So do you.
我被带进小隔间
Well,I was ushered straight into a cubicle.
门帘拉开后 你走进来
And the curtain went back and in you walked.
你说报告出炉了 艾滋病毒检验呈阳性
And you’d got the result back,and it was an HIV-positive result,
你说我要住院
and you said that I was being admitted.
我知道我可以跟你谈
I knew I could talk to you.
打开天窗说亮话 我问你还有多少时间
A spade is a spade.I said,”Give it how it is.”
你说两年
You said,two years.
现在已经过了28年 而我们正在享用下午茶
And here we are 28 years later,and we’re having afternoon tea!
很棒 对不对?真的很了不起
It’s wonderful,isn’t it?I mean,it’s just such an incredible thing.
我很高兴你熬了过来 -我还在这里
I’m so glad you came through it.
天啊 -天啊
Gosh! Golly.
你好年轻 当时几岁?
So young.How old were you?
28岁
28.
对杰瑞这样的年轻人来说 其发病症状非常可怕
For young men like Jerry,the symptoms were devastating.
免疫系统完全崩毁
The immune system was just crashing.
卡波西氏肉瘤 也就是一种皮肤癌
The Kaposi’s sarcoma,which was a form of cancer on the skin,
大量地冒出来
would be these lesions appearing.
最让我痛不欲生的是手指上的肉疣 -那些软疣 -对
The banes of my existence were warts on my fingers,molluscum…Yes.
这些都让外表变得很可怕 看起来像烂掉的青春痘
Which of course looks horrible because it looks like awful acne.
当然还有消瘦和其他症状
Yes.And of course the gauntness was the other thing,
脸部萎缩
the atrophy in the face.
是的 -他们会缩水到某种程度让你不禁纳闷
Yes,yes.They shrunk down to a level where you think,
他们怎么还能活着?
“Why are they still alive?”
这是拍摄于
Which was taken…
但到了1990年代末期 一切即将全然改观
But by the late 1990s,everything was about to change.
科学家发现第一种对抗艾滋病毒的有效疗法
Scientists had discovered the first effective treatments against HIV.
杰瑞熬到那一刻 成为第一批试用药物的病患
And Jerry had held on long enough to become one of the first to try them.
突然有一种有效的疗法问世 真的很棒
It was amazing when we suddenly had treatments that worked.
花了一段时间
It took a while…
大家才敢相信 也花了一段时间才说服
to believe it.It took a while to persuade both the clinicians
医生和病患尝试药物
and the patients to take the medication
因为我们碰过很多失败的状况
because we’d had so many false starts,
而且我们一直担心 副作用可能比治愈效果还大
and there was always the worry that the side-effects would be worse than the benefits.
但当情况开始明朗 病人出现好转时
But once it became clear that people could get better,
奇迹就发生了
you saw the most amazing things.
我长了肉疣和软疣
I had the warts,I had the molluscum,
但几周内 我看着我的手
and within weeks,I looked at my hand,
肉疣都消失了
the warts had gone.
他很幸运 但如果他不曾被感染
He’s very lucky,but it would have been even better if he hadn’t been
那就更好了
infected in the first place.
现在很多人正确地服用药物
Nowadays,if people are taking their medication properly,
实际上 咨♥询♥方式就类似
actually the consultation goes along the lines of,
问你去哪里度假那样
“Where are you going on your holidays?”
有点像你去找发型师
It’s a bit like going to the hairdresser.It really is…
真的是这样 只要继续开同样的处方药
..just carrying on giving the same prescription.
真的很不可思议
Which is incredible.
所以30年后
So,30 years later,
现在我们已经有药物能控制艾滋病毒
we now have drugs that can keep HIV under control.
但离完全治愈 仍有很长的路要走
But there’s still a long way to go.
虽然确诊感染艾滋病 在英国 已不再等于被判死刑
Whilst the diagnosis of HIV is not a death sentence in Britain any more,
有好几千人并不知道自己是带原者
thousands of us don’t know we carry the virus.
我问过研究室的同事
I spoke to people in my lab about whether or not
会不会固定去做检验 因为我们接触活的病毒
they would have regular tests since we all handle live virus,
他们都说不会
and they all said no!
没半个人固定做艾滋病检测
None of them have regular HIV tests.
这是为什么?
So why is that?
是因为他们太害怕做检查吗?
Is it because they’re too afraid to have a test?
所以无视这些资讯?
They don’t want the information?
还是因为他们不够害怕?
Or is it because they’re not afraid enough?
距离我上次检验 已相隔七年 而且老实说
It’s been several years since my last test and,to be honest,
我不该拖延这么久
I’ve left it longer than I should have.
但这年头做检验很简单 可以直接上网订购
But these days,testing can be as simple as ordering
自行检验工具组就行了
a do-it-yourself kit over the internet.
我认为每个人都该做艾滋病毒检验
I think everyone should HIV test
因为几乎没有人能免于感染风险
because there is almost no-one for whom the risk is zero.
对我而言 风险更高
For me,it’s much more than zero.
我的性♥伴♥侣♥不只一位
You know,I’ve had more than one sexual partner,
曾有过缺乏保护措施的性♥爱♥
I’ve had unprotected sex previously,
而且主要研究艾滋病毒
and I work in an HIV lab,mainly.
我处理大量的活病毒
I handle enormous quantities of live virus –
这些液体里含有好几百 甚至好几千倍的
so fluid that is hundreds or thousands of times
浓缩病毒
more concentrated virus
浓度之高 在任何病患身上都是找不到的
than you’d ever find in the sickest patient’s body.
如果我说我不紧张 是骗人的
Yeah,I’d be lying if I said I didn’t have some butterflies about this.
这是自我检验指南
Your how-to test guide.
这里有“如果你的检验结果是阳性”应知基本事项
So there’s a “If your result is positive…” The basics.
(如果检验结果是阳性)
如果我验出是阳性 我应该会很不自在
If I test positive,I think I’m not comfortable,
但我想我不介意透露 我感染艾滋
but I think I’m OK with saying I have HIV.
或至少
Or at least…
我想 我会
..I think I would be…
变成所谓的伪君子
..such a hypocrite if I didn’t
如果我没办法接受事实的话
that I wouldn’t be able to live with myself.
先把缓冲部件拔除
So you need to remove the buffer part.
把检验装置用力插♥进♥缓冲器
Push the test device hard into the buffer box.
就像在验孕
So it’s like a pregnancy test.
如果出现两条线 就是阳性
If you get two lines,you’re positive.
好了 我们去喝杯茶吧
OK.Let’s make a cup of tea.
当我等待结果时 想过任何可能感染的管道
As I wait,I’m running through all the ways I might have caught HIV.
我在实验室里粗心大意
I’ve been careless in the lab.
我妻子最近验出阳性 但却没告诉我
My wife’s recently become positive and hasn’t told me.

你的评论可以尖锐,也可以湿疣!