专门攻击免疫系统的细胞
the cells of your immune system.
这是白血球
So this is a white blood cell.
在它的表面上 有看起来像花粉的东西
And on the surface,these little things that almost look like pollen,
那些就是艾滋病毒分子
those are HIV particles.
如同所有病毒 为了生存
Like all viruses,in order to survive,
艾滋病毒必须进入细胞里
HIV needs to get inside the cell,
接着它会做一件很特别的事
but then it does a very special thing.
它会拆散你的脱氧核糖核酸 把自己的嵌入空隙中
It unstitches your DNA and it inserts its DNA into the gap.
艾滋病毒就会成为你的一部分
The virus literally becomes a part of you.
就是这个原因 它才这么难治愈
That is why it’s so hard to cure it.
你可以活着好几年 甚至好几十年 都不会出现任何症状
You can live for years,even decades without any symptoms at all.
但在这段期间 病毒不停在你的细胞内繁殖
But all that time,the virus is replicating in your cells
所以你的兔疫系统会达到一个临界点
so that your immune system will reach a point
再也无法保护自己
where you can no longer defend yourself
连最微小的感染都无法抵抗
against really minor infections.
这时候你才会开始展现出艾滋病的症状
And that’s when you develop the syndrome of AIDS –
又称后天免疫不全症候群
Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome.
病毒叫人类免疫缺陷病毒 疾病的末期就是艾滋病
The virus is HIV,the disease in the final stages is AIDS.
现在我担心 我们变得太自满了
These days,I worry we’ve become complacent,
甚至无视其风险
even ignorant of the risks.
所以我想了解有多少人做过艾滋检验
So I want to find out how many of us have even taken a test?
你有做过艾滋检验吗?
Have you ever had an HIV test?
没有 -为什么?
I haven’t,no.Why?
因为我不觉得有这个必要
Just because I’ve never felt the need to do it,really.
而实际上,我很…
And actually,I’m pretty…
你知道,我不是那样……哪个什么词?
You know,I’m not that…What’s the word?
我没和很多人发♥生♥关♥系♥
I don’t get involved with that many people,
性♥伴♥侣♥之类的
partners and that kind of thing.
如果你有了新伴侣
If you have a new partner…
是 -你总是会坚持做艾滋检验吗
Yeah.Do you always insist on an HIV test?
我坚持做整套检验
I insist on a full test.
整套检验 了解 -全都会做 我有点神经质
A full test.OK,so the whole lot.I’m a bit paranoid.
你有检验过吗? -我有检验过 -好的
Have you been tested?I have been tested.OK.
希望我妈没在看电视
Hopefully my mum doesn’t watch this!
你妈会很高兴知道
Your mum will be so happy to know
她女儿很对自己负责 去做了艾滋病检验 -对
that her daughter is being responsible and having HIV tests.
我想人不应该过度自信
Yeah,I mean,I think you can’t be complacent.
你做过艾滋检验吗? -没有
Have you ever had an HIV test?No.
为什么? -我都会用保护措施
Why?I’ve always had protected sex.
每次吗? -是的 每次 -对 一定会用 已经是常规
Always?Always,yeah.OK,wow.As a general rule.
变成常规了 -你大概是唯一一个每次都会
As a general rule.You may be the only man on the planet
用保护措施的男人 -其实我说了谎
who has always done it.Actually,that’s a lie.
你会定期做检查吗?
You’re going to keep getting tested regularly?
当然 就算 就算…
Yeah,of course.Like,even if,like…
就算我没有和任何人发生性关系
Sometimes even if I haven’t had sex with anyone,
我还是会去做检查
I’ll go and get tested anyway.
你现在会愿意去做检验吗?
Do you think you’ll go and have one now?Um…You know what,
这么说吧 我觉得这件事已经严重被污名化
I think that there is such a stigma around it that the thought
一想到要去看医生 并要求做检验
of going into a doctor and asking for one would actually be,like,
真的很令人尴尬
quite embarrassing.
真的吗? 我个人这么觉得
Really?Personally,yeah.
我觉得这么做很不自在
I would find it really uncomfortable doing that.
说实话 情况并不乐观
It’s a bit of a mixed bag,and if I’m honest,
多数人并不配合
us blokes don’t come out of it all that well.
迫使一位英国皇室成员 去年
And that’s why it’s all the more extraordinary that last year
做了一件出人意料的事情
a member of the British royal family did something almost unthinkable.
开始了哈… 你的手很冷
What I was going to do there…Your hands are quite cold.
2016年七月
July 14th,2016,
哈利王子在网络直播下做了艾滋病检验
and Prince Harry is taking an HIV test live on the internet.
不会疼的
Weirdly that didn’t even hurt.
好了
There you go.
我告诉你吧 检测结果是阴性
I can tell you here,you have an HIV non-reactive result here.
好 一切都好
All right.So everything is fine.
那次是你第一次做艾滋病检验吗
Was that your first HIV test that you’d ever had?
是第一次 -30几岁以来头一遭?
It was my first HIV test.First ever,in your 30s?
对 30多岁以来 这件事从男人的角度来说
Yeah,in my 30s.This is something that,from a guy’s point of view,
会让人很紧张
is…It’s nerve-racking.
我想任何人都会很担忧 无论你的身分
I think it’s nerve-racking regardless of who you are
或有什么经历
or what you’ve been up to.
加上还有许多媒体在现场…就如同坐在镜子
And all the media are sitting on this…standing on the other side
另一侧 我知道他们怎么想
of this mirror.And I know exactly what they’re thinking,like,
我相信你也很清楚他们的想法
as I’m sure you know as well.And they’re thinking,
“想像一下 万一”
“Oh,imagine if,imagine if.What if?What if?”
我坐在那心里也在想“天啊 如果”
And I’m sitting there going,”Jeez,what if?”
没错 我可以私下去做 但这样有什么意义?
Yes,I could have done it in private,what’s the point in that?
对其他人来说 他们可以私底下去做检验
I mean,for everyone else,go and get it done in private.
我当然不建议任何人直播检验过程
I don’t suggest everyone else does it live,but,you know,
但就我的观点 把讯息
it’s the responsible thing to do,
传递出去 这么做才是负责任
from my point of view,to get the message out there.
是什么原因阻碍了我们经常做检验?
And what are the things that stop us all getting tested regularly?
是恐惧 不是吗
It’s the fear,isn’t it?
是艾滋这个词背负的污名
It’s the stigma.The word AIDS.
我的意思是 光是念出来
I mean,just when you say that,it just gives me…
都让我起鸡皮疙瘩了 我想这个名字背负了
gives me goose bumps.And I think there’s so much stigma
太多恶名
simply around a name.
当艾滋出现时 每个人都吓坏了 而且
When AIDS came along,everyone was petrified.And…
很多我认识的人短时间就丧命
a lot of people that I knew died very,very quickly.
我的很多朋友都死于80年代
And a lot of people I knew died in the ’80s.
一个接着一个
I mean,it was one after the other.
(任何人都可能和带原者发生性行为而感染艾滋)
每个人都很害怕
And everyone was so frightened.
每当你去做年度验血
You know,when you went for your annual blood test
感冒或是身体不适 你都会想
or you had a cold or you had anything,you thought,
“我是染上艾滋病毒吗?是否有艾滋病?”
“Have I got HIV?Have I got AIDS?”
我曾经帮忙去给艾滋病人送餐 他们羞愧不已 甚至
I was delivering meals to people who were so ashamed,they wouldn’t come
不敢来开门
out their front door.
我们把餐点放在门口 然后往花♥园♥小径走去
We’d put the meal on the doorstep and then you’d walk down the
这时会听到门打开 又砰一声快速关上
garden path and you’d hear the door open and slam very quickly.
因为他们羞于见人
Because they were so ashamed to be seen.
当时卡洛琳布拉德比尔只是住院医师
At the time,Caroline Bradbeer was a junior doctor
服务于伦敦圣汤玛斯医院 尽其所能治疗这种疾病
at St Thomas’s Hospital in London,trying to cope as best she could.
当时我们不清楚发生什么事
We didn’t really know what was happening.
当时我们只知道根据统计
We did know that statistically,at that stage,
一旦有人产生艾滋病的病症
once somebody had developed AIDS,
平均寿命剩下不到两年
the average survival was less than two years.
大约只有18个月左右
I think it was about 18 months.
医生们全都束手无策
There was nothing really we could do.
我感到非常无助
And I felt so helpless,really.
我让他们好过了一段时间
I made them a little bit better for a while,
这让我振作点
and that’s what buoyed me up.
有时候病人过世 你反而会为他们感到高兴
Sometimes when they died,you were glad for them.
这种病毒对医生来说 完全是个谜
The virus was a complete mystery to doctors.
科学家不知道它的来历
And scientists didn’t have a clue where it had come from.
但是随着我们对艾滋病的了解越多
But as we’ve learned more about HIV,
研究人员已可以追溯到艾滋病
researchers have been able to trace the epidemic all the way back to
传播的源头
its very beginning.
很高兴见到你
Very nice to see you.
我来见我的朋友兼同事斯蒂芬·休伊博士
I’ve come to meet my friend and colleague Dr Stephane Hue,
他利用基因分♥析♥来追踪病毒的传播
who uses genetic analysis to track the spread of the virus.
在这里可以看到
Here you can see,
在全世界传播的艾滋病毒株的族谱
let’s say a family tree of the HIV strains that are circulating across the world.
这个族谱可以追溯到同一个点
This family tree goes down to a single point here,
同一个祖先 对吧?
to a single ancestor,right?
能锁定到一个人
Hold on.So,to a single…person.
第一位感染艾滋病毒的人
The first person who was infected with HIV.
对的
That’s right.
我们认为这次跨越发生在1910到1930年间
So we believe that this jump has occurred between 1910,1930.
病毒首次被鉴定出之前 就已感染很多人了
Quite a lot before the virus was first identified.
那感染了六千万人
So the virus that has infected 60 million people
并导致其中一半死亡的病毒 来自同一个人?是的
and killed half of them came from one person?Yes.
实际上 我们不想知道那个人是谁 对吧