Huh. It could be priceless, and Sam would lose a sale.
噢 我会每个月送他盒蓝莓的
Oh, I’ll send him a box of blueberries the first of every month.
山姆 我想知道的是他在什么 地方画的还有他是谁
Sam, what I wanna know is where’d you paint it and who is it?
首先 这不是油画 这是素描
First of all, it’s not a painting. It’s a drawing.
只不过是用彩色蜡笔罢了
Matter of fact, it’s a pastel and…
至于模特嘛 他只是非常气愤地向我走来
as for the model, just came to me out of the blue.
-你还没说呢 你那代理州长腔怎么怎么浓重啊
– You don’t say. – Why are you acting like a deputy sheriff?
我捉了个流浪汉 他偷了双鞋子
That tramp I picked up, the one with the stolen shoes?
他说是从死人那拿的
Said he got ’em off a dead man?
他非常细致地描述他一番 样子和你的画很相似
He described him very carefully. The description fits this picture to a “T. ”
那些流浪汉游手好闲 又喝得酩酊大醉
A tramp who probably can’t keep his job and drinks too much…
我认为他的话不大可信
I wouldn’t think his word was very reliable.
他就被关在校舍里
Got him locked up in the schoolhouse.
-我拿这幅画给他看 请说素描 如果你不介意的话
I took this painting down to show him… Drawing, if you don’t mind.
我拿这素描给他看 他几乎晕了过去
I took the drawing down to show him. He almost fainted.
说几乎是同一张脸 你在哪儿画的 山姆
Said it was the same face. Where’d you paint it, Sam?
来自我的潜意识
From my vast subconscious.
山姆 我不想这样说 但我不能相信你的话
Sam, I hate to say this, but I don’t believe you.
听这些让我打牌的兴趣 都丢光了
With all this talk, I’ve lost interest in the game.
请原谅 我得回家了
If you’ll forgive me, I’ll just run along home.
明天见吧
I’ll see you all tOmOrrOw.
你说你不相信我是什么意思
What do you mean, you don’t believe me?
我的意思是 山姆 我可没接受过抽象美术的教育
What I mean, Sam… I ain’t educated in fancy art,
但我看到这个后我就知道 死人的脸是怎样的啦 就是这样
but I do know the face of a dead man when I see one, and this is it.
加尔文 或许我可以教你 呃”抽象艺术”
Calvin Perhaps I can teach you Abstract art
看到这个吧 是一张沉睡的脸的肖像
See this? Portrait of a sleeping face.
一个男人 非常的放松 远离尘嚣
A man, relaxed, far removed from earthly cares.
是由我的记忆还有一半的 激♥情♥而构思的
It was conceived out of memory and half-forgotten impulse,
它是抽象情绪的影子
and it emerged from the shadows of abstract emotions,
由我的指尖演变成现实
until it was born full-grown from the mechanical reality of my fingertips.
-噢 山姆 别 -我
Oh, now Sam, don’t… I don’t have to have a model to draw from.
除了创作一张沉睡的脸 我还可以
Instead of creating a sleeping face, I could have, um,
选择一种完全不同的艺术表现
chosen an entirely different set of artistic stimuli.
我的下意识是很多张人脸 把地球覆盖了
My subconscious is peopled with enough faces to cover the earth.
而人类解剖构造又是可变的
And the construction of the human anatomy alone is so infinitely variable…
比人能思考的余力更大
as to lie beyond the wildest powers of calculation.
现在就变成了睁眼的了
Now, a raised eyelid, perhaps.
脸部也饱满多了
A line of fullness to the cheek.
连嘴唇也充满表情
Lip that bends with expression.
你看
There.
山姆 你知道你干了什么吗
Sam, do you… Do you know what you just did?
当然 让你知道你曲解了我的艺术
Certainly. Just showed you how clearly you misinterpreted my art.
你破坏了法律证据
You just destroyed legal evidence.
加尔文 看来你还是不明白
Calvin, it appears to me you still don’t understand.
我知道你在耍我
I understand you made kind of a fool out of me.
但我仍然还有足够的证据 去了解这里所发生的一切
But I still got enough evidence to know something funny’s goin’ on around here.
直到我找到真♥相♥前 我都不会去睡觉
I ain’t goin’ to sleep till I find out what it is.
晚安 加尔文
Good night, Calvin.
嘿 他在我们的浴缸干什么
Hey! What’s he doin’ in our bathtub?
-那是青蛙的地方 -噢
– That’s where frogs belong. – Oh.
-回去睡觉吧 安尼卡 -州际骑警早上会来的
– Back to bed, Arnie – State troopers’ll be up in the mornin’.
我会让他们和他谈谈的啦
I’m gonna want ’em to have a talk with you, so be around.
-我说让你上♥床♥ -你可以在我工作室里找到我
– I said back to bed. – You can find me at my studio.
只是想确定
Just make sure…
他在哪儿
Where is he?
他 他在浴室玩青蛙
He-He’s in the bathroom playing with his frog.
-噢 -我 这边有请 医生
– Oh? – I’m… This way, please, Doctor.
安尼卡 他不舒服
It’s Arnie. He’s not very well.
有人在搞我的车
Someone must be foolin’ around with my car.
你在按什么喇叭 这可不是你的车啊
What are you playin’ with the horn for? It ain’t your car.
噢 只是觉得好玩
Well, things are funny, you know?
我和格勒夫利小姐 会去汽车市场买♥♥车
Me and Miss Gravely might be in the car market. We’re looking for a car.
对 看看这辆 挺不错的
Yes. Had a look at this one. It’s a beauty.
我就是要这样
I want to keep it that way.
噢 对潜在买♥♥家可不应该 用这种语气
Now, now, that’s not the way to talk to a prospective customer.
你不是什么潜在买♥♥家 你买♥♥不起
You’re no prospective customer. You can’t afford this car.
他走了
He’s gone.
我放这小 我安顿好安尼卡睡觉了
I put the little… I put Arnie back to bed.
医生说什么 他叫我出来
What’d the doctor say? He said for me to get out.
我不想看他的眼神 好像有什么让他遗憾似的
I didn’t like the look in his eye, either. Something seems to be bothering him.
噢 船长 你怕完了吗
Well, Captain. Did you get over being frightened?
害怕
Frightened?
噢 不 这不是我要走的原因
Oh, no. That’s not why I left.
不是 我可没那么容易害怕 你也清楚
No. I’m not easily frightened, you know. No.
噢 这些年来我周游了 世界的四个角
Why, after all those years sailing the four corners of the globe,
到过一些奇怪的港口 遇见过很多粗鲁的人
strange ports, a lot of rough men and…
格勒夫利小姐 你想说什么
Miss Gravely, what would you say…
如果我告诉你
if I told you…
我只是东江里的一艘拖船的
I was only the captain of a tugboat…
船长
on the East River…
而且没跑过一公里或离开过岸 你会怎么想
and never got more than a mile or so off shore?
噢 我会说
Well, I would say that,
你是一位英俊的从未 在东江上航行过的
that you were the handsomest tugboat captain…
拖船船长
that ever sailed up the East River.
噢 或许不是
Oh, maybe not. No.
-你们想看点东西吗 -这儿
You want to see something? Here.
-船长 -你在哪儿拿的
Captain. Where’d you get those?
加尔文 维格斯的车里
Calvin Wiggs’ car.
我想你们拿到了一半的证据 山姆
I figured you were handling half the evidence, Sammy,
那么其余的一半就由我来出马
so it was up to me to take care of the rest.
你是我吻过的最可爱的 老拖船船长
You’re the sweetest, old tugboat captain I ever kissed.
他在浴室里干什么
What’s he doing in the bathtub?
噢 医生 你发现了什么
Well, uh… What’d you find out, Doctor?
噢 他的心脏 他痉挛
Oh, that. It was his heart. He had a seizure.
-他的心脏 -但
His heart? Yes, but…
-痉挛 -我去过菲律宾群岛
A seizure! Well, I’ll take a trip to the Philippines.
-自然死 -噢 当然
Death from natural causes. Well, certainly.
谁能告诉我他为什么 半裸着躺在浴缸里
But will somebody tell me what he’s doin’ in the bathtub half undressed?
坦白地说 我们不想 让加尔文 维格斯看到他
Frankly, we didn’t want Calvin Wiggs to see him.
而且 我们挖他起来时 他非常的脏
Besides, he was awful dirty after we dug him up.
“挖他起来”
“Dug him up”?
我最好解释一下 医生
I’d better explain, Doctor. You see,
今天哈里又被埋 又被挖起有好几次了
Harry’s been buried and dug up on and off all day long.
什么
What?
他导致事情复杂化
Finally, he caused so many complications that…
我们决定帮他冲洗一下 然后摆回原地
we decided to clean him up and put him back where we found him.
我不是很明白 什么复杂
I don’t understand you. What complications?
噢 举个例子
Well, for example,
他让船长大吃一惊 因为船长以为是他杀的
he upset Capt. Wiles because the captain thought he had shot him.
而他头上的伤口又表明 不是船长干的
The hole in the head, you know. But as it turned out, it wasn’t the captain.
那是他骚扰格勒夫利小姐时 她用高跟鞋敲他的头
It was the blow he got from the heel of Miss Gravely’s shoe after he attacked her.
怀尔斯船长骚扰格勒夫利小姐
Capt. Wiles attacked Miss Gravely?
噢 不是 是哈里 医生
Oh, no, Doctor. Harry.
他把她拉进森林 以为是我
He dragged her into the bushes, thinking it was me.
我想他是有点晕头转向的 因为之前我用奶瓶敲了他的头
He was dazed, I supposed, after I hit him on the head with a milk bottle.
首先是船长和山姆埋他的
The captain and Sam buried him first.
船长很害怕
The captain was so scared.
接着他要数他的子弹 这样就把哈里挖出来了
Then he accounted for all his bullets, so up Harry came.
然后格勒夫利小姐是她的鞋子 把他打死的 所以
Then Miss Gravely thought her shoe was responsible for it so…
-鞋子 -我觉得船长非常的勇敢
– Shoe? – So the captain… rather gallantly, I thought…
又把他给埋了
pushed him back in again.
接着他又被挖出来又被埋下去 我都忘了原因
Then he was out and back… I can’t remember why.
而现在他又被挖起来了 因为山姆和我要结婚了
But anyway, he’s out again now because Sam and I wanna get married.
噢 但你为什么要
Yeah. But why did you…
敲他的头
Hit him on the head?
你不会对此感兴趣的 纯粹是个人而非医学问题
That wouldn’t interest you. It’s purely personal and nonmedical.
而且 现在也很晚了 如果你不对外说这事
Besides, it’s awfully late, so if you’ll just keep quiet about all this,
我们会在早上干净利落地 把哈里放回去
we’ll put Harry back in the morning, nice and clean,
没什么人能明了
and no one will be any the wiser.
而且这样可以把复杂简单化
And then we’ll be rid of all these sticky complications.
把他放回去 放回去 就这样 放回去